HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
mailman keep delivery someone else's mail to my house
Posted by: ShockedMicrobe ()
Date: February 13, 2007 12:38PM

I've been having this problem for the last several months.

The mailman(or mailwoman) has been delivering someone else's mail to my house.
I can only assume that others have been getting some of my mail as well....

This happens regularly, like several times every week.

I thought about going down to the local post office and talk to the branch
manager or something... but decided against it... because I don't want to
cause someone to lose his/her job. (or decide to intentionally mix up my
mail after I file a complaint)

The other alternative that I thought about was renting a box at the post office.
However, I also shot down that idea... if it's at the same post office, they
are just as likely to mix up my mail...

Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mailman keep delivery someone else's mail to my house
Posted by: Somebody_ ()
Date: February 13, 2007 01:02PM

Same thing happens to us.
We just circle the address and put it back in the box.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: February 13, 2007 02:42PM

Definitely go to the post office and bring this to their attention. No one os going to lose their job... at most it will be further training. You need to be more concerned about where you private mail is going, which taken together may make good sources for identity theft, not to mention late bills. What if whoever is getting your mail doesn't care and throws it away instead of putting it back in the mailbox? Now you have late bills to deal with. Get it fixed pronto.

Posted by: § ()
Date: February 13, 2007 02:43PM

Just stay home from the office and confront postman in a nice way like I did. Mix-up never happened again. -§

Date: February 13, 2007 02:50PM

Dont pay to rent a PO box, politely confront either the mailman or the office manager and get it sorted out. Who knows, you may be helping other people on your street who are too timid to confront the issue too.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: February 13, 2007 02:56PM

You are far too nice! If this routines happens then maybe your mailman needs to find another professional he\her is better suited for.

Put a bottle of tequila in your mailbox with a nice note "We would appreciate it if you only drank AFTER completing this route."

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: February 13, 2007 04:03PM

Are the house numbers the same? We have this problem a few times per month and just walk around the corner to correct the problem. We live at 10609 "Main Street" and often get mail for 10609 "Not Main Street". I have mentioned it to the letter carrier who apologized and noted that the confusion is most likely happening because our last names are very similar and the sorting is pretty quick. Not really a problem to correct from my end, but I am not sure that we are getting reciprocal service from our neighbors since there is a major language barrier. We used to knock on their door and hand deliver, but now just put the items in their mailbox.

Posted by: ShockedMicrob ()
Date: February 13, 2007 04:21PM

pgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
No one os going to lose their
> job...

The mailman who delievered mail to my office building lost her job after
only ONE complaint about late delivery of mail. Of course, she had only
been delivery mail for only 6 months....

Date: February 13, 2007 05:15PM

A girl who was living with me moved to Florida. She filled out all the change of address paperwork. I still get some of her mail and she sometimes now gets my mail. Now I know why FedEx and UPS are successful businesses.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: February 13, 2007 06:51PM

My mail never comes until 7-pm or later. Is this normal?

"FedEx and UPS are successful businesses"
Well they can deliver small things fine but large items are a completly different story. Heres one with UPS: A 60 lb item needed by FCPS came to the people who were selling it to FCPS. THese people sent said item UPS to FCPS HQ in Falls Church. It took 3 weeks to get there, and managed to go to TExas, New York and Wyoming before it got the whole 5 miles from Alexandria (where the company selling the thing was) to Falls Church. IT was damaged. Cost of item being set: 12 grand. It was insured, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2007 06:51PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: Rowsdower ()
Date: February 13, 2007 07:17PM

Obviously posting your mail delivery issues to Fairfax Underground will resolve the problem.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: February 13, 2007 08:00PM

Rowsdower Wrote:
> Obviously posting your mail delivery issues to
> Fairfax Underground will resolve the problem.

Damn straight it will!

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: February 13, 2007 08:33PM

Lurker Wrote:
> You are far too nice! If this routines happens
> then maybe your mailman needs to find another
> professional he\her is better suited for.
>
> Put a bottle of tequila in your mailbox with a
> nice note "We would appreciate it if you only
> drank AFTER completing this route."

In order for this to be at least "semi legal" you Must attach adequate postage to the bottle.

It is against the law to place inside, attach to, lean against, hang from etc a mailbox anything without affixing adequate postage. Yes, if you write a love letter to your mail carrier you can't place it in your mailbox without postage attached.

And yes, you can mail live chickens every month of the year except June through September.

Posted by: radiophile ()
Date: February 13, 2007 08:35PM

Lester Burnham Wrote:
r. We used to knock on
> their door and hand deliver, but now just put the
> items in their mailbox.

Actually, very illegal. See above.

Date: February 14, 2007 11:07AM

Radiophile Wrote:
> Lurker Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You are far too nice! If this routines happens
> > then maybe your mailman needs to find another
> > professional he\her is better suited for.
> >
> > Put a bottle of tequila in your mailbox with a
> > nice note "We would appreciate it if you only
> > drank AFTER completing this route."
>
>
> In order for this to be at least "semi legal" you
> Must attach adequate postage to the bottle.
>
> It is against the law to place inside, attach to,
> lean against, hang from etc a mailbox anything
> without affixing adequate postage. Yes, if you
> write a love letter to your mail carrier you can't
> place it in your mailbox without postage
> attached.
>
> And yes, you can mail live chickens every month of
> the year except June through September.

I like the way you phase it, ‘ to be at least "semi legal" ‘ LOL I can only imagine the Postal Inspector and the ATF fighting over jurisdiction on this. They can barely agree if wine can be shipped, tequila in a mailbox would certainly be litigation overload.

Posted by: radiophile ()
Date: February 14, 2007 11:34AM

> I like the way you phase it, ‘ to be at least
> "semi legal" ‘ LOL I can only imagine the
> Postal Inspector and the ATF fighting over
> jurisdiction on this. They can barely agree if
> wine can be shipped, tequila in a mailbox would
> certainly be litigation overload.

Without postage ttached to the bottle, I would imagine the postal inspector would have the first opportunity to get involved since a very clear law would be broken. THe USPS has a complete monopoly over your mailbox. Nothing can be placed inside your mailbox withoutr postage.

I remember reading about a case. A postal clerk was working on her birthday. her husband and son went to the post office, stood in line, and when they got to the counter handed her a birthday card. She opened it.

When the supervisor disciplined her for handling mail without postage, she took it to court to fight. She appealed and appealed again. It was finally determined that she did violate the rules and her reprimand was upheld.

Yes those community organizations who place fliers in your mailbox are violating the law. Furthermore, it is illegal to compete with the USPS unless you charge at least twice US postage or $3, whichever is greater.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: February 14, 2007 11:37AM

No postal worker every complained when I stuck Christmas cookies in the box.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: February 14, 2007 02:58PM

Just go to the post office and say this person doesnt live here. Fill out the form and list all current occupents of the home and who SHOULD be getting mail there. This aint a case when you should go all Hip hop street and live by the NO SNITCHING edict.

Posted by: Keith Martin ()
Date: June 02, 2011 03:20PM

I have the problem that the mail lady drives past my house and wont put mail in my box and claims its because I have a car parked too close 4' away when I do get mail it is placed in my neighbors box with a not written on it and dated that my box is blocked I called the local post office explained the car is not mine so I cant move it and the told me till it gets moved no mail will be delivered the car is a 89 trans am with a rebel flag in the back window and the mail lady is colored and I think she see's the car and thinks it is mine and refuses me my mail any sugestions calling the branch didnt help

Posted by: Seriously? ()
Date: June 02, 2011 03:29PM

Dude.

It's okay to start a new thread instead of necroing one from over four years ago.

Honest.

It's okay.

Posted by: theShadowToo ()
Date: June 02, 2011 03:29PM

@Keith Martin --

We obviously don't have the same letter carrier. We live on the end of a court and, between the five houses in the court, there are 17 cars on average. Most of us park on the curb nose in/tail out (e.g., not parallel). In order to deliver the mail, our guy gets out of his truck at the first house, delivers the four houses, returns to his truck and then does the rest of the street.

For the above reason, I did not complain when I caught him clipping some of our lavender for his truck.

He needs to train his subs, though, as they sometimes won't deliver due to the parking situation.

Posted by: sumguy ()
Date: June 02, 2011 03:33PM

Good luck I been get the wrong mail or no mail for 12 years. I have had credit cards stolen. I don't get bills until the are past due. It has gotten so bad they even have to bar code scan my mail box, I still get the wrong mail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 03:35PM by sumguy.

Posted by: LostMail ()
Date: June 02, 2011 03:46PM

my mailperson constantly delivers the wrong mail - sometimes the street is correct but most of the time it isn't even close to my name or house address, I have no idea how they make such a mistake. I usually just write "delivered to wrong address" with the date on the envelope and put it back into the mailbox.

I regularly receive mail for an address that is similar to mine (house# the same but street name different, starts with the same letter) and it has gotten to the point that I just collect it and drive it over to them.

I printed out my last name in bold type and taped it and my address to the INSIDE of my mailbox door so each time the mailperson opens it they'd see it.

Didn't help.

So now every couple of months I fill out a complaint form at the USPS website, and for a little while it gets better, then it slowly starts going downhill again.

Posted by: Me too! ()
Date: June 02, 2011 03:51PM

I don't want to complain since I know the PO could care less.

Plus they might get revenge and god knows where my mail will end up.

Posted by: Raptured ()
Date: June 02, 2011 04:30PM

We have historically had our mail misdelivered multiple times and received mail that also wasn't meant for us; this has not happened for about a year, however.

The problem in our particular case is two-fold - same house number "1234" and street names that contains the same substring like "lake" - one like "Lake Forest", the other like "Green Lake".

I always mark the wrongly-received letters and place them back in our mailbox with flag up. I can only hope the other house does something similar - I think I've received only one letter, though, in 20-ish years that was marked "misdelivered".

I've had a prescription drug packaged misdelivered once to another house on another street that had NO similarities to my address (actually found out about that one myself since I was tracking it online and saw its status changed to "delivered" when it hadn't been delivered - called the local Postmaster, the same day the driver came back, found the package, and delivered it to my door).

I have no clue what the solution to these bad deliveries is.

Posted by: Raptured ()
Date: June 02, 2011 04:33PM

LostMail Wrote:
> I printed out my last name in bold type and taped
> it and my address to the INSIDE of my mailbox door
> so each time the mailperson opens it they'd see
> it.

Ah yes, I did take a step similar to this - I put my house number on the front of my mailbox and I put my full street address on the side of the mailbox the mail carrier sees when he/she drives up. Not sure if that has actually helped since the carrier always seems to grab a pile of mail that's already been sorted and stuffs it in the box, so reminding him of the actual address at that point may be ineffective.

Posted by: From someone who knows ()
Date: June 02, 2011 04:46PM

The last thing you want to do is complain to the post office. Its like sending back a meal and telling them it was no good, if you get my drift.

Posted by: Funny_Guy ()
Date: June 02, 2011 05:10PM

This happened to me with our Asian Mailman. I left a note for him and it seemed to do the trick.

Posted by: Idiot ()
Date: June 04, 2011 06:31PM

Call the Post Office

Posted by: Ye Legal Eagle ()
Date: June 24, 2011 07:33PM

What Is the Federal Law for Opening Mail Not Addressed to You?
By Sangeet Duchane, eHow Contributor
http://www.ehow.com/about_6293417_federal-mail-not-addressed-you_.html?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=test16

Opening mail not addressed to you is illegal in some circumstances. There is a lot of confusion about whether it is illegal under federal law to open mail addressed to someone else. There is also confusion about what the remedies are if your mail is opened. The short answer is that is it illegal to open mail addressed to someone else only in very limited circumstance.

Federal Statute
The federal statute that applies to this situation is 18 USC Section 1702. This statute is part of Chapter 83 of Title 18 of the federal code, which is concerned with crimes involving the U.S. Postal Service. This section is called Obstruction of Correspondence.

When It Is Illegal
Under this statute it is only illegal to open mail addressed to someone else if you have taken it from the custody of the Postal Service. That means it is a crime to take a letter, package, postcard, or other item of mail from a Post Office, a mailbox of any kind, or from a postal carrier before the mail has been delivered, if you intend to prevent the mail from being delivered, pry into it, embezzle money, or destroy the mail. The statute is essentially about stealing mail from the Post Office.

Misconceptions
There is a common misconception that it is illegal to open mail addressed to someone else that has been delivered to you. There is no federal statute that prevents you from opening mail not addressed to you once it has been delivered by the Postal Service. If you take something that was in the mail you might violate a state law against stealing. If you use information contained in the mail for a wrongful purpose like identity theft, you are breaking state and federal law, but opening the mail is not illegal in itself.

Criminal Penalties
Anyone who steals mail in the custody of the Postal Service or destroys it can be fined and imprisoned up to three years under 18 USC 1705. The person whose mail was taken, opened, or destroyed does not have the right to decide when this crime will be prosecuted. It is up to the federal prosecutor in the place where the crime occurred to decide when, or if, to prosecute and what penalties to seek.

Civil Remedies
The person whose mail has been taken, opened, or destroyed in violation of 18 USC Section 1702 cannot get civil damages just because the law was broken. The federal statute does not have any civil penalties. If the victim suffered monetary damages because of the federal crime, then that person may be able to sue for damages under state law.

Read more: What Is the Federal Law for Opening Mail Not Addressed to You? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6293417_federal-mail-not-addressed-you_.html#ixzz1QEu3OZ1n

Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: June 24, 2011 07:41PM

Nuff said

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachments:
images.jpg

Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: June 24, 2011 11:49PM

I keep getting mail for someone else who used to live in my compartment. I never bothered to tell the postmaster about it. Is it okay if I open it?

Posted by: Perry Mason ()
Date: June 24, 2011 11:52PM

Mr. Misery Wrote:
> I keep getting mail for someone else who used to
> live in my compartment. I never bothered to tell
> the postmaster about it. Is it okay if I open it?

Objection, Your Honor—asked and answered.

Posted by: Judge Wapner ()
Date: June 24, 2011 11:52PM

Perry Mason Wrote:
> Mr. Misery Wrote:
> -----
> > I keep getting mail for someone else who used
> to
> > live in my compartment. I never bothered to
> tell
> > the postmaster about it. Is it okay if I open
> it?
>
> Objection, Your Honor—asked and answered.

Sustained. Move on, counselor.

Posted by: baby miz ()
Date: June 24, 2011 11:55PM

Mr. Misery Wrote:
> I keep getting mail for someone else who used to
> live in my compartment. I never bothered to tell
> the postmaster about it. Is it okay if I open it?
Attachments:
overhead compartment.jpg

Posted by: jonny loco ()
Date: June 25, 2011 10:06AM

I always open them.

Posted by: Rebecca Richards ()
Date: January 12, 2016 11:05PM

The post office in Gunston over near Richmond Hwy and Lorton Rd cant seem to deliver mail correctly, i have been having medical bills start going intk collections because Im not receiving the bills, i ordered travel insurance for a trip and someone else received it and it showed up on the floor on front of my outside door. How freaking hard is it to deliver mail, does anyone know what we can do about this? I already spoken to the post office.

Posted by: bohica ()
Date: January 12, 2016 11:27PM

Rebecca Richards Wrote:
> The post office in Gunston over near Richmond Hwy
> and Lorton Rd cant seem to deliver mail correctly,
> i have been having medical bills start going intk
> collections because Im not receiving the bills, i
> ordered travel insurance for a trip and someone
> else received it and it showed up on the floor on
> front of my outside door. How freaking hard is it
> to deliver mail, does anyone know what we can do
> about this? I already spoken to the post office.

My mail carrier has very limited English skills and frequently gives my neighbors mail to me. Complain to the supervisor until they get tired of hearing
from you. If that doesn't work, call Gerry Connolly and ask him why we have so many foreigners working for the USPS when Americans would love to have those jobs.

Posted by: Gerrytard ()
Date: January 13, 2016 04:57PM

bohica Wrote:
> Rebecca Richards Wrote:
> -----
> > The post office in Gunston over near Richmond
> Hwy
> > and Lorton Rd cant seem to deliver mail
> correctly,
> > i have been having medical bills start going
> intk
> > collections because Im not receiving the bills,
> i
> > ordered travel insurance for a trip and someone
> > else received it and it showed up on the floor
> on
> > front of my outside door. How freaking hard is
> it
> > to deliver mail, does anyone know what we can
> do
> > about this? I already spoken to the post
> office.
>
> My mail carrier has very limited English skills
> and frequently gives my neighbors mail to me.
> Complain to the supervisor until they get tired of
> hearing
> from you. If that doesn't work, call Gerry
> Connolly and ask him why we have so many
> foreigners working for the USPS when Americans
> would love to have those jobs.

That will get you far with that jerk.

Posted by: alan ()
Date: October 21, 2016 10:57PM

i get mail from unit #B, incorrectly and chronically. The day after I received it,I placed it in the "out mail" to be redelivered but the postman didn't pick it up. Next day I hand-delivered it to him down the street at his truck, and he told me I couldn't do that, illegal. True?

Posted by: Nmk3c ()
Date: October 22, 2016 05:04AM

Not with USPS (they are here nearly day so aware of the situation), but with other delivery services in my apartment neighborhood in western Fairfax on a hillside, interesting situation which causes delivery mishaps. In some buildings, apartments 201, 202, 203, 204 are at ground level, and apartments 102, 103 you go down steps at the back to get to them due to hillside. Though try as they may, the apartment management even put clearer number labeling at the individual doors, as logic dictates, delivery people delivering to my 2xx apartment go up the flight of steps. One package for me UPS tried to deliver to the 3xx apartment above me, watching him, as live on front side of building, that apartment above was vacant at the time, I could not stop him because on work conference call, so he ends up leaving the package at the apartment community office in the neighborhood (confirmed with UPS tracking delivered it there minutes after he left my building). On the occasional Peapod delivery two hour windows (like its 10 degrees outside, busy during holidays), I put a sign in the patio window saying my apartment is on ground level and not go up steps, and depending on whether the Peapod person is attentive or can read English determines whether this works or not. Best one, right after moving in had a new mattress and boxsprings delivered, and caught the delivery dude going half way up the steps (funny, not funny, with something bulky and heavy). Putting delivery instructions in the online ordering, such as apartment on ground level, does not work as message does not get to the delivery person.

Posted by: John Podesta ()
Date: October 22, 2016 07:06AM

Some of these so-called "mailmen" can't even read or write english. So why are you surprised that your mail gets misdelivered?

Posted by: Newman ()
Date: October 22, 2016 10:18AM

bohica Wrote:

Some one thinks Gerry Connolly gives a shit about Americans? Good one - hilarious!

Posted by: postal ()
Date: October 22, 2016 01:21PM

bohica Wrote:
> Rebecca Richards Wrote:
> -----
> > The post office in Gunston over near Richmond
> Hwy
> > and Lorton Rd cant seem to deliver mail
> correctly,
> > i have been having medical bills start going
> intk
> > collections because Im not receiving the bills,
> i
> > ordered travel insurance for a trip and someone
> > else received it and it showed up on the floor
> on
> > front of my outside door. How freaking hard is
> it
> > to deliver mail, does anyone know what we can
> do
> > about this? I already spoken to the post
> office.
>
> My mail carrier has very limited English skills
> and frequently gives my neighbors mail to me.
> Complain to the supervisor until they get tired of
> hearing

I know this is an old post, but Americans do NOT want postal jobs. Any gig that is staffed 90% by foreigners is a gig that Americans don't want.

The Post Office is one of the worst jobs there is, and getting worse. Why do think mass shootings are called "going postal"? They do everything they can to drive workers crazy.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.