HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why Choose Lyft Over Uber
Posted by: CYECK ()
Date: February 08, 2019 07:55PM

Though Lyft and Uber are very similar in the transportation service they offer and pricing, why would one choose one over the other?

For Lyft, the finer points matter (preface, they are always exceptions)
* For new ride-share drivers, you are interviewed in person (if you previously worked for Uber, this might be waived). Uber does do not do in-person interviews. In person interviews weed out more so called bad apple drivers.
* Lyft chosen and trusted by Washington Council of Governments Sober Ride program during holidays through the year over Uber.
* Lyft chosen over Uber to provide transportation on Fort Meade. This is experimental and may spread to other military bases in the future.
* If in serious safety situation, you can call Lyft https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013077888-Report-an-accident-safety-incident-or-citation . Uber you are left call or text 911 or the local county/city authorities. Used the Lyft help line only once over the years (driver had child in car) and they were very quick to respond.
* Personally know at least a few people in other parts of my life driving for Lyft, none for Uber. Lyft believe is more community minded vs. Uber more corporate minded.
* Lyft more diverse set of drivers, including some white, and more so who are fluent in English. If driver cannot read text message about your pick up point such as if there is confusion about building entrances, etc., then its not a good ride experience from the start. Certainly not saying not all Uber drivers are bad, which had some who were very good, but it seems Lyft has more of the good ones.
* Experience with occasional trips with handicap relatives with me Lyft handles it much better. Lyft driver helps gets foldable chair into trunk of car which is tight squeeze with his electric battery unit. Uber driver refuses ride to handicap rider even though chair is foldable, and another could not get the pick up point right for a building even after a text message after request ride and talking on phone (English somewhat limited) requiring me to take an elderly relative on a cane up an elevator to another entrance (and then Uber charged a wait fee which got reversed).
* Lyft much better for their customer service and giving ride credits (of course with justifiable reason). Uber has been hit or miss over the years, saying if the driver gets off track or lost, its your additional expense (once it was a days long fight, with them only reversing part of the overcharge). Lyft actually reads your emails about questions, etc. and offers a personal response whereas past experience with Uber, often just get a canned response that not answer my question.
* Lyft uses your cell phone carrier's text messaging app which is easier to read whereas Uber uses their internal one which messages more than a few lines about pick up flies by and they are unable to read fully. Uber tracking you up to five minutes after the ride and sometimes recording your calls with the driver before pickup is concerning.

I have used both services over the years. Lyft as primary, keeping Uber as backup as occasionally Lyft car not nearby or on major price surge, but otherwise maybe use Uber if offering a weekly discount of 30-40%.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why Choose Lyft Over Uber
Posted by: Rideshare4buttpirates ()
Date: February 09, 2019 01:37AM

CYECK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Though Lyft and Uber are very similar in the
> transportation service they offer and pricing, why
> would one choose one over the other?
>
>
>
> *
>
> i
> .
> * Lyft paid to bechosen and trusted by Washington Council of
> Governments Sober Ride program during holidays
> through the year over Uber.

FIFY

> *
>
> .
> *
>
>
>
> . Uber you are left call or text 911 or the local
> county/city authorities. Used the Lyft help line
> only once over the years (driver had child in car)
> and they were very quick to respond.

Uber now has the live help line, as well.

> * Personally know at least a few people in other
> parts of my life driving for Lyft, none for Uber.
> Lyft believe is more community minded vs. Uber
> more corporate minded.

Lyft rides that reputation for all that it is worth. Lyft has worked hard to cultivate that reputation, but it is all hype. Lyft is no better than Uber.

> * Lyft more diverse set of drivers, including some
> white, and more so who are fluent in English. If
> driver cannot read text message about your pick up
> point such as if there is confusion about building
> entrances, etc., then its not a good ride

You get just as many bad drivers on Lyft as you do Uber.

>
>
>
> .
> * Experience with occasional trips with handicap
> relatives with me Lyft handles it much better.
> Lyft driver helps gets foldable chair into trunk
> of car which is tight squeeze with his electric
> battery unit. Uber driver refuses ride to
> handicap rider even though chair is foldable,

Cool story, bro.......

>
>
>
>
>
>
> * Lyft much better for their customer service and
> giving ride credits (of course with justifiable
> reason).

Uber is just as fast to give you free rides as is Lyft.

Uber has been hit or miss over the
> years, saying if the driver gets off track or
> lost, its your additional expense (once it was a
> days long fight, with them only reversing part of
> the overcharge).

Cool story, bro..................

Lyft actually reads your emails
> about questions, etc. and offers a personal
> response whereas past experience with Uber, often
> just get a canned response that not answer my
> question.

That is absolutely false. Are you a Lyft shill or just a Lyft troll? Lyft uses outsourced customer "service" reps who can not speak English and send you canned non-answers just like Uber does. Lyft is no better than Uber. They're both bad.

If you want a good ride with a driver who knows where he's going, use Uber Black in the suburbs, but reject Black cars with Virginia plates. Virginia doesn't require a license to drive a limo, but D.C. and MD do Make sure tha car has DC L plates or MD BA plates. Those guys have a license and know what they're doing.

If you're in DC use Uber Taxi. Yes, you heard it right, Uber TAXI. Uber has taxis in DC. Those guys have a license, get checked out by the FBI and know where they're going. Uber Taxi doesn't have surge pricing, either. You can only get it in DC, though, not in the suburbs, although you can get an Uber Taxi to take you from DC to the 'burbs. This works real good after Nats games. You're looking at a 2.5X surge/Prime Time on Uber/Lyft, which is more than a taxi. Walk up to the cab queue on M Street, where you will see no cabs on line. Then, open up your Uber app, pick Uber Taxi and send a request. The cab comes right away and you'll leave all those sheep standing on line for a cab at the queue. You can MWAHAHAHAHAAAA them as your cab pulls away with you in it.

Posted by: BYECK ()
Date: February 09, 2019 07:07AM

Everyone's mileage with the two services will vary. I have taken dozens of rides with both services since 2015, mostly initiated in Fairfax County, so sharing from 1st hand experience.

As far as a Uber help phone line, I only see one for drivers for emergencies. If a recent one has been added for riders, please post the URL/web link for it, as not readily finding it on Uber's website or elsewhere.

Posted by: Concerned Rider ()
Date: February 09, 2019 07:54AM

If an ride emergency in Uber or Lyft - assuming not threatened by driver while in the car, calling when safe to do is quicker to get help vs. slowly typing on a smartphone even with it guessing/autocompleting many words you type. Lyft you can call, AFAIK Uber cannot do so as a rider.

Also in Fairfax County and some other jurisdictions, you can text to 911 if calling is unsafe. 911 is the address. Instructions here https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/911/text-to-911

Other better points of Lyft

* On a 5 star scale, if you rate a Lyft driver 3 stars or below, you are automatically never paired with that not so good/bad driver again. To do with Uber, even if one star, you have to email Uber to request the unpairing.

* Lot easier to offer feedback on a driver on the Lyft app than the Uber app. With the Lyft app, you can do it as you rate your driver right after your trip. If 5 star, feedback gets passed directly to the driver. If 4 star or below, it is done anonymously. With Uber, spend more time, going to your ride history and emailing support to give comments.

* Sense Uber wastes a lot of money with credit card processing fees, as they do one transaction with the trip charges and a separate transaction if do a tip. Unless they have a special deal with the credit card companies, they pay 30 cents per each transaction to process (of course all subject to typical 2-3% card processing fee). As a rider, its annoying if do many trips with tips to get the extra emails and sort through especially the tip charges on your credit card statement Lyft on the other hand, gives you up to 24 hours to add a tip if you choose, one credit card transaction, and one email to you. In fairness, for those short trips, Uber allows you to do tips in fractions of a dollar whereas with Lyft you can currently only tip in whole dollars. Though have suggested to Lyft recently to allow tipping in fractional dollars, their IT needs time to implements once their management/marketing approves. One disadvantage with fractional dollar tip with Uber, you can technically give a driver, one not great, a $0.25 tip (I did one time as most trips promise a tip before getting out of the vehicle and follow through on it which helps on my rider rating), and then Uber gets hit with the credit card processing fees on that.

Posted by: Lyft=niggers ()
Date: February 10, 2019 08:54PM

I see mostly niggers driving for lyft w that light on their dashboard running lights/speeding etc. UBER tends to be more smelly dirty Muslims.
Need to fingerprint these animals

Posted by: D643M ()
Date: February 12, 2019 04:39AM

Lyft=niggers Wrote:
> I see mostly niggers driving for lyft w that light
> on their dashboard running lights/speeding etc.
> UBER tends to be more smelly dirty Muslims.
> Need to fingerprint these animals

After dozens of rides with each service over three years in No. VA mostly, first hand experience, though exceptions for sure, Lyft has more diverse set of drivers, whether white or from one of 150+ countries around the world, and more community minded and caring, because unless they worked for Uber, they are interviewed in person (yes can fake an interview, but rider reviews will eventually catch up with you). Uber does not, does not interview its drivers in person, and uses the Internet instead to screen drivers, so yes have seen more Muslims and Indians driving for Uber who may be hiding something. Early in 2017, Uber was reported in the news paying $ to get drivers back from several high risk security counties (they traveled home to visit family, etc. for a short time) that Trump was trying to block immigration from. Have had more than one Uber driver at Vienna and Wiehle Metro stations sense was sketchy, limited English, and navigation issues.

Posted by: X9NV9 ()
Date: February 13, 2019 01:47AM

I drive for both of them for the last four years.

There is no difference to driver or to pax.

Posted by: 4cvch ()
Date: February 13, 2019 09:44PM

I have an American car that looks american.

It's not allowed by either lyft or uber (both california companies that hate usa)

Posted by: ykhwt ()
Date: February 13, 2019 09:45PM

4cvch Wrote:
> I have an American car that looks american.
>
> It's not allowed by either lyft or uber (both
> california companies that hate usa)

if i buy a honda or toyota how many customers will i need to pay off the car before i can begin paying for rent (ie, not sleeping in the car) ?

thanks ahead of time for answering my question honestly.

Posted by: n4wxm ()
Date: February 13, 2019 09:47PM

spics and niggers have been killing people left and right in Centrevill area

how do you know if you get a call to Tyson's that it isn't a ride on their way to or from Centreville ??

Posted by: vm3ec ()
Date: February 13, 2019 09:50PM

Concerned Rider Wrote:
> If an ride emergency in Uber or Lyft - assuming
> not threatened by driver while in the car, calling
> when safe to do is quicker to get help vs. slowly

that's simple. if the driver is not a sexually deprived moma's boy (which should be easy to pick out), then their main concern is you stay quiet and GTFO when they arrive

the reason is because if they were niggers they'd already have fled the state with the car because of missing payments on the car

Posted by: guced ()
Date: February 13, 2019 09:54PM

hqdefault.jpg

this guy might rape you

crazy-animals-driving-dog-car.jpg

this guy is still worried about his credit report and waiting for the light to change

Posted by: vjtvc ()
Date: February 13, 2019 09:56PM

bd6ac7a2f2ccdceae62425a84d2d5a7a--so-fun (noisy but reliable)

no-time-to-explain-get-in-the-car-240x18 (no! do not get in)

Posted by: xhnc9 ()
Date: February 13, 2019 09:59PM

dog-in-car-meme-great-dog-driving-car-fu (you don't have to get in, but if you don't your fired and kicked out of the hunting club)

Posted by: The Line Found ()
Date: February 14, 2019 06:12AM

BYECK Wrote:
> Everyone's mileage with the two services will
> vary. I have taken dozens of rides with both
> services since 2015, mostly initiated in Fairfax
> County, so sharing from 1st hand experience.
>
> As far as a Uber help phone line, I only see one
> for drivers for emergencies. If a recent one has
> been added for riders, please post the URL/web
> link for it, as not readily finding it on Uber's
> website or elsewhere.

To help you and others, Uber's Rider Critical Safety Response Line to call for safety related issues ONLY is in the Uber App. Pick a trip, most recent or in your trip history you have taken, Help selection, then select Critical Safety Response Line in the list of choices. Follow the instructions on the next screen. Personally never have had to use it so far with Uber, but anyone who has here, can perhaps share additional details or experience with it.

Posted by: YUJWD ()
Date: February 14, 2019 06:14AM

X9NV9 Wrote:
> I drive for both of them for the last four years.
>
> There is no difference to driver or to pax.

We can agree to disagree from each of our own years long many many rides individual experiences.

Posted by: Lyft niggers ()
Date: February 14, 2019 06:21AM

I’ve had lyft riders tell me that their nigger drivers actually asked them if “it wuz cool” they could smoke weed while driving them to their destination.
No joke.

Also, lyft seems to advertise more on urban radio stations and metro busses.
Lastly, poster above was right about lyft drivers running lights with that dashboard light.

Why do niggers ruin everything?
Can’t they keep a job that consists of hitting a phone 5/6x to make money?

Posted by: YTHGP ()
Date: February 14, 2019 07:41AM

With DC more than half black, Negro, African American, or words of your choosing to describe, I would expect the drivers for both Lyft and Uber to reflect that local population. In Fairfax County, where the population is more diverse, drivers come from around the world. From many trips I have had drivers with Lyft trips started in Fairfax County coming from every continent, except Australia and Antarctica, and every color including white, black, brown, red, etc. and a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds including richer (granted far fewer), middle class, and poorer. With Lyft's additional screening (in person interviews unless worked for Uber before), far few drivers that have had problems with English.

Over the years, more than one Uber driver who could not understand the texted pickup notes nor understand navigation directions when tried to talked with them in the car making for bad ride experiences. One time called Uber from the Wiehle Metro kiss and ride garage, and its 25 degrees outside with wind 25 mph, and even after text, voicemail, and talking, he did not get it and wanted me to meet him on the street in those weather conditions. Uber did reverse the cancel charge, but time was wasted. I ended up taking a Fairfax Connector bus during rush hour so ran every 10 minutes meeting a Uber car at the Reston Town Center transit station waiting indoors until he arrived.

Again from much ride experience with both services, it is the way the exception than the rule that drivers run red lights. I have had a handful of drivers talking on their cell phones while driving which is even more concerning.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.