HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Steam games wrapper, by Valve Corporation, runs as administrator and runs several 24/7 daemons that "use internet" never close (infact, need admin access to close)
Posted by: not ignored! (ignore this) ()
Date: December 24, 2018 11:37AM

THE PROBLEM: gamers can't avoid Steam as it's become a practical monopoly, but steam software has serious issues that users are making youtube on and Steam, after years, refuses to attend to and instead: are making worse ...

COMPLAINT SENT TO STEAM GAME WEBSITE (VALVE co.)

Steam began by saying they needed a "wrapper" to launch games but they didn't stop there, and it seems to have become an industry focused on (badly compromising all computers that run games).

Steam insists upon Running as Administrator "rooting the computer", even though it runs games that do NOT require administrator access.

Steam insists upon running daemons 24/7 on a PC that continually transfers private user information to Steam.

My worry is furthermore Steam employees will or are using this security breach with candy as an extortion to look for banking information on machines Steam is installed on, to commit bank fraud.

My worry is Steam is becoming a monopoly: gamestop.com (brick & mortar game store) is now flooded with ads from Steam promoting games on Steam's .com, games that run on steam have been canceled on microsoft store and especially apple store.

My worry is Steam may be "requiring" (as did microsoft in the past) companies to submit source code of games to steam - which would allow them to monopolize the game industry (using stolen / hoarded source code they got for free and then turn around and demand a price for). (furthermore giving this critical information to certain foreigners, gmbh co.)

These are allot of worries but the beginning and the end a system designed to "root the computer" (elevate privilege for steam company) and running daemons 24/7 (that access internet) even though no games are running. This is an accusation by many, many have offered "ways to undo it".

I think Steam owes to explain this accusation to people or to FIX IT. Steam has had PLENTY OF TIME, PLENTY OF COMPLAINTS.

Steam's time to be "evading" questions of "not rooting PCs" is over.

--------------------

(steam also has a legacy of serious "breaches" or denials in their servers they claim are due to hackers: including installation of "key loggers" on customer machines)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steam games wrapper, by Valve Corporation, runs as administrator and runs several 24/7 daemons that "use internet" never close (infact, need admin access to close)
Posted by: wej7d ()
Date: December 24, 2018 11:45AM

found on readdit .... "how to disable admin control"

"you can't, the daemon will cause issues even if you manage to do it"

> "your advice howto to disable didn't work" (multiply)

"if you intalled Steam and I was your IT, you'd be fired"

Experian (credit rating bank) had breaches - and banks. I think all the IT are fired - the whole damn generation of bill clinton reset button / back door friendly programmers would be fired.

Staying an aspiring game player is fired for trying to learn about security?

I'd fire you all for making it a pain in the ass for the Consumer.

Re: Steam games wrapper, by Valve Corporation, runs as administrator and runs several 24/7 daemons that "use internet" never close (infact, need admin access to close)
Posted by: not ignored! (ignore this) ()
Date: December 24, 2018 11:51AM

So I have a PC cable of CAD engineering and Win10 apps, but I can't use it if I install a game (or fail to disable cortana, the method of which keeps changing).

The problem here is I'm a consumer and these people aren't paying me to buy multiple computers to "run hacked software on" - but owe me multiple computers for negligence.

Posted by: 98dfkj ()
Date: September 30, 2019 09:59PM

Steam is Win10 technology run from Washington State

Posted by: Sammmmm ()
Date: June 12, 2020 01:26PM

I am not even surprised with how the Valve corporation does things. Why a wrapper is needed is way beyond my own understanding. I had it running on my computer as well and it did not exactly help. That is why I had to use https://anixusa.com/

Posted by: thyrefw ()
Date: June 12, 2020 04:36PM

Sammmmm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not even surprised with how the Valve
> corporation does things. Why a wrapper is needed
> is way beyond my own understanding. I had it
> running on my computer as well and it did not
> exactly help. That is why I had to use
> https://anixusa.com/

it is a parlay of microsoft directx and ubuntu hacked in as administrator, adding things like shared screen shots

but it is a LIE - it does not need to be "administrator of all users on the pc"

it is certainly a huge security leak planted by corrupt persons

Posted by: lskdfj ()
Date: June 14, 2020 02:44PM

d

Posted by: osdfkjj ()
Date: June 23, 2020 09:06PM

d

Posted by: 2sdfkk ()
Date: June 25, 2020 03:14PM

d

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.