HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Resume tips for IT job seeker
Posted by: Jack of all Trades ()
Date: December 17, 2018 04:25PM

I’ve been putting in apps with no luck. What are some resume tips to help me break this curse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Resume tips for IT job seeker
Posted by: skill set ()
Date: December 17, 2018 04:39PM

Jack of all Trades Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’ve been putting in apps with no luck. What are
> some resume tips to help me break this curse

"IT" is a large spectrum of things. What type of job are you looking for? Helpdesk? Network admin? Programming?

Posted by: CMO ()
Date: December 17, 2018 05:01PM

Career fairs are your best bet. Throwing your resume into a black hole on the interwebs won’t get you anywhere worth going. You have to get out there and shake hands and get facetime with recruiters.

Posted by: Cfrrdfffggh ()
Date: December 20, 2018 05:39AM

Change your last name to Muslim, claim you are h1b and work 80 hours for pay of 20.

Posted by: UltraRight ()
Date: January 11, 2020 01:40AM

I think that a lot of what works for the resumes for the other jobs, will work for you also. In most companies, it's the HR manager or employer which will interview you and study your resume. This means that they'll put more accent on your qualities as a human than on your skills required for the job (although these are very important also). It's HR staff's job to study resumes and most of them will avoid a lot of information searching for some key features. That's why it's important to know what and where to put in your resume. I won't get deeper into this because you can find resume examples on Copy My Resume and covering the interview are a lot of YouTube videos.
You might want to have an original resume but keep in mind that sometimes this can be weird, all the more if you don't have experience with creating resumes.

Posted by: IT retired ()
Date: January 12, 2020 09:18AM

I worked over 40 years in IT and my advice would be go into programming if you can. A talented programmer is worth a lot of $$$. Admin and cyber guys are a dime a dozen. Make sure you have a clean resume, short and to the point and just know your technical shit for the interview. The interview is not the place to BS someone unless its a recruiter, they generally don't know much beyond a few buzz words. Good luck there is a lot out there in the DC area.

Posted by: Bee Ayy Emm Eff ()
Date: January 12, 2020 01:43PM

IT retired Wrote:
> I worked over 40 years in IT and my advice would
> be go into programming if you can. A talented
> programmer is worth a lot of $$$. Admin and cyber
> guys are a dime a dozen. Make sure you have a
> clean resume, short and to the point and just know
> your technical shit for the interview. The
> interview is not the place to BS someone unless
> its a recruiter, they generally don't know much
> beyond a few buzz words. Good luck there is a lot
> out there in the DC area.

What they used to call technical writers are now business analysts. You would think that guys with no technical skills would be the real dime a dozen crowd but so many of them are so bad at their jobs that you can make a lot of money if you just know how to communicate. The worst jobs are project managers, every 20 something coming out of college wants to be a manager, they all suck at it and they get left behind when a new company picks up the contract.

Posted by: truth will set you free ()
Date: January 12, 2020 06:25PM

head hunters are mostly idiots and suck...but they are agressive and they can let you know what works and what is best match for you

go to a bunch of them and find out as much as you can about positions, resumes, skills, etc

once you get your foot in somewhere it is mostly up to you at that point and ass kissing, hard work, and some raw ability should be good to go

Posted by: k ()
Date: January 17, 2020 10:57AM

Posted by: ArnoldWilder ()
Date: March 06, 2020 06:53AM

I recently thought I could get a job, but I failed the test and now I'm unemployed again. The reason was because I had a bad resume. They said that I am a good person and I have cool skills but nonetheless they refused me. I think this is nonsense, why lose a good employee because of the resume. The strangest thing is that I don’t know what exactly they didn’t like in the resume, because I prepared it for more than two hours and used the tips from themoneymix.com. What tips do you have for writing a resume, maybe they will help me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2020 06:53AM by ArnoldWilder.

Posted by: Urgent Warning ()
Date: March 07, 2020 06:09PM

LEAVE YOUR HOME
CARRY GUNS WATER MEDS FOOD
GO SOUTH UV LIGHT KILLS THE BUG
GO
NOW

Posted by: Henry Grante ()
Date: March 13, 2020 12:13PM

My friends couldn't go through the job interview for a long time because they didn't know how to answer the question “Tell me about yourself”. I found mr simon on the Internet , a site where AI helps solve a similar problem. In combination with articles on the topic of preparing for an interview, you can practice your interview online.

Posted by: Bill Shiphr ()
Date: October 02, 2020 03:47AM

I believe that helpdesk services are necessary almost for every sphere of business. I decided to use such a systems recently and it was a great solution. The system that I use is called Zendesk. You can converse your data from zendesk format to any another for free. It is definitely a good feature, that is quite useful.

Posted by: EX Swing Manager ()
Date: May 21, 2021 10:06AM

Expand your past job experience beyond running the hot dog machine at 7-11

Posted by: Billy G. ()
Date: May 21, 2021 08:01PM

Jack of all Trades Wrote:
> I’ve been putting in apps with no luck. What are
> some resume tips to help me break this curse

The golden age of IT is over.

Back in the days of yore, you could get a couple of router certifications and easily make a 100K a year. Which is like 150K today. But now everything's gone cloud and unless you work for AWS or Microsoft you're going to be playing on the second fiddle.

So too, the days of making a website and taking it public are long gone. No more making the next theglobe.com and making off with a billionaire status overnight.

When facebook.com is worth 5 times more than Intel corporation is worth then you know that IT has totally jumped the shark.

Posted by: Tino.S ()
Date: May 22, 2021 12:13AM

Billy G. Wrote:
> Jack of all Trades Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I’ve been putting in apps with no luck. What
> are
> > some resume tips to help me break this curse
>
> The golden age of IT is over.
>
> Back in the days of yore, you could get a couple
> of router certifications and easily make a 100K a
> year. Which is like 150K today. But now
> everything's gone cloud and unless you work for
> AWS or Microsoft you're going to be playing on the
> second fiddle.
>
> So too, the days of making a website and taking it
> public are long gone. No more making the next
> theglobe.com and making off with a billionaire
> status overnight.
>
> When facebook.com is worth 5 times more than Intel
> corporation is worth then you know that IT has
> totally jumped the shark.

Maybe for other markets, but it's very possible in our area. Get an A+ cert at minimum, an entry level AWS cert and a PMP and you are in $150K territory. Easily. This area bleeds money.

Posted by: Medel ()
Date: September 21, 2021 11:12AM

Hello everyone, every job search starts with a resume. Your professional resume is a correspondence meeting with an employer, so it should be written as professionally as possible. If you are having trouble finding a job and need help, resume your writing services. To do this, you can use the services of the service at https://resumewritinglab.com/, where you will be helped to write a professional legal resume.

Posted by: From an employer ()
Date: September 21, 2021 11:54AM

Two tips.

Don't ever use any of the products that the shills here are pushing.

Don't try to sell yourself as an IT guy. Today even Art History majors can do IT. Instead sell yourself as a guy with specific IT skills and experience that can solve specific problems. That may mean having multiple resumes depending on what the potential employer is looking for.

Posted by: Don't give up ()
Date: September 21, 2021 08:05PM

Forget IT. The USPS is hiring biggly! No vaccine mandate requird.

Posted by: RonaldF ()
Date: October 19, 2021 04:36PM

A qualified resume is essential to finding a successful job. I was recently looking for a job as a data analyst. I had a hard time putting together a successful resume on my own. I used data analyst resume samples and was able to put together a competent resume. I was soon invited for the job.

Posted by: tomlite770 ()
Date: November 02, 2021 02:00AM

By the way, this is a really good thread. I think that writing a competent CV should be taught at school or university, because many people face difficulties when writing a CV for the first time.

Posted by: Degni ()
Date: November 02, 2021 02:01AM

I agree with you, this is often difficult. However, there are services where you can find vacancies and sign up for an interview without a CV. I found work on jooble this way. I just applied for a vacancy and made an appointment with a company representative. It is good that there are such services, because it greatly facilitates the process of finding a job.

Posted by: oscarcrypto ()
Date: December 01, 2021 09:52AM

I would like to note the excellent results in the job search portal for employees, both in numerical and value terms of this job search portal.We are using this resource for looking for workers permanently. Honestly satisfied with it. The prices are good and optimal. What we like the most - that we pay only for those candidates who opened our vacancy, this is the function which is for not now available on other job search sites.

Posted by: emilyym ()
Date: December 10, 2021 10:03AM

I also was struggling a lot where to find a job in It industry. One day I was browsing the internet and found a cool job search portal job search portal. On this website very easy interface and a bunch of filters. After a few weeks, I sent a bunch of CVs to the different companies and finally, luck was on my side I find my dream job )

Posted by: Zeddy100 ()
Date: December 14, 2021 03:09AM

The longer you are not taking actions, the more money you are losing I realize that, I recently found a good job, In my work place we have great team culture ,good environment to work, opportunity to display my skills I really love, If you are looking for a worthy job offer to display skills , I recommend you going to job search portal and put your skills to work ,you will see skills fitting the job you want , it is soo easy and understanding.

Posted by: oijfeoifiofeiofje123 ()
Date: December 15, 2021 05:09PM

Get to know a linux cli and windows server, understand the fundamentals of networking (tcp/ip and OSI) model and be able to apply them to practical solutions. Know ldap and sldap. Know common tcp/udp ports and what they do. Know fundamentals of encryption keys. AWS knowledge helps, there are free ways to setup an instance and mess around. Windows active dir is always good.

While technical know-how is good, good writing and communication skills are also important if you want to stand out. It doesn't matter if you are a help desk technition or a sr. developer, good communication and client/customer service will be an asset.

Also, show up to work on time, or at least until you have a good working relationship with management. Just don't be sketchy about shit.

Posted by: petersint ()
Date: December 16, 2021 08:24AM

Software development teams must prioritize emotional intelligence and empathy. They must prioritize a comfortable workspace and an enriching environment. The environment should be conducive to their creativity. Without this, it could result in rampant burnout and high levels of stress. Hence, it is essential to develop these skills in your team https://mlsdev.com/blog/devops-services. They must be able to communicate effectively and respect one another. There are many different ways to develop these soft skills and a dedicated team can help you create a great project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2021 05:58AM by petersint.

Posted by: DIE SPAMMER!!!!! ()
Date: October 16, 2022 10:24PM

Eat shit and die spammer

Attachments:
_steamy.gif

Posted by: 2389u8923hr239hf ()
Date: October 17, 2022 02:01PM

If you say linux exp, be sure you can describe doing something like mounting a drive, building an apache server, etc.

If vmware, utilize vmware free education stuff so you have some practical experience actually using it.

Build your own network, dmz, etc. at home for the experience. If coding, have some examples ready.

I am sure there are tons of dev or educational tools out there for whatever your focus is that will cost little or nothing.

Posted by: DIE SPAMMER!!!!! ()
Date: November 26, 2022 12:00AM

Keep your shitty malware-infested links off this site

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g
file.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamy

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.