HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
So i’m in 65k debt with one year to go in college
Posted by: Breaking Bad ()
Date: November 27, 2018 06:00AM

I’m majoring in IT at GMU so i’m not sure i’ll get a decent job once I get out. Pretty depressing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So i’m in 65k debt with one year to go in college
Posted by: lifesuck ()
Date: November 27, 2018 06:32AM

I'll give you something to be depressed about.

5 years from now you'll have a 6 figure + job, a wife, 1.5 kids and still be the IT nerd that you are now. Your wife will divorce you and then you'll have to pay child support to your ex-wife that will support her and the next deadbeat duchbag boyfriend she's dating. Life will crush you.

Posted by: Good News Sam ()
Date: November 27, 2018 06:57AM

At least you're not majoring in some bullshit Victim Studies, Black Studies, Gender Studies crap like so many dumbass snowflakes.

Plus, after your obese moronic leech of a wife divorces you, you can finally get the babe you really wanted.

Posted by: Derrick ()
Date: November 27, 2018 07:08AM

Why didn’t you go to NOVA for the first two years then transfer to GMUand thus have cut your debt in half? Or was college fun more important than fiscal responsibility?

Posted by: It'll be alright ()
Date: November 27, 2018 07:52AM

The only time most of the fatheads here have been to any college at all was for the purpose of getting blitzed (but not laid -- don't let them shit you about that) at some wasted wannabe football weekend. But oh, the overblown me-and-my-buddy stories they still tell about all that. Pitiful.

Meanwhile, have no concern. Assuming that you chose to major in IT because it's something you enjoy doing and have some aptitude for, you'll end up doing quite well. The debt will indeed be an issue for a while, but you'll have the skills and the moxie to move on past it.

The failures here will be those who try to monetize everything and choose a major and career path because they believe it will bring them lots of money. But because they don't love or even enjoy what they do, they will always fall behind, being regularly beaten out in the field by those who do love and enjoy what they do. As time goes by, they won't strive to learn or improve by putting extra time or effort into their work. Instead, they'll try to do just enough to get by each day, and in the end, they'll be left behind as just so many professional nobodies. They'll take to drinking at an early age and will have high risks of eventual divorce and bankruptcy. It's no way to live, so be glad you went down a different path.

Posted by: 9VVYT ()
Date: November 27, 2018 09:29AM

Sure it might be tight but you'll do fine with that STEM degree. Work toward getting some kind of security clearance if at all possible. There are a ton of companies out there looking to fill roles.

Even if you land something that might be geared to one kind of technology, be sure to keep your overall skills well rounded. For example, don't pass up learning Azsure if it's a VMware shop or other languages if it's a developer role. Be sure to get any certifications a company offers through training. If possible, commit some time to a job for 2-3 years to show you are not jumping from job to job. If you are having issues finding a job right out of college, internships, temp jobs, or contractor roles are a good way to get a foot in the door.

While you might have good technical skills, be sure to work on your soft skills like communication, teamwork, etc. Don't think you are above any type of job duty, and show up to work and meetings on time and keep your mobile device out of sight when the meeting starts.

Posted by: UMMUM ()
Date: November 27, 2018 09:35AM

Also, participate in hackathons or other related events.

https://mlh.io/seasons/na-2019/events

Don't burn bridges with your employers, and make good network connections (the people kind) because they might be your ticket in getting a role at a better company later down the road.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.