HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New bathroom in basement: should i pay for a permit / inspection?
Posted by: What say ye good citizen? ()
Date: October 11, 2018 07:06PM

(1) The permit process is "online". I can be assured illegal aliens working in the county department (including taxation which I've seen and they stole from me) are illegals who aren't even going to look at the permit: they just want the money - the online permit for a small job will just go in a binary bin bucket.

They want $216 to file an online web form. I think I have a case for FRAUD.

(2) They want to send an illegal alien to my home to "inspect" who isn't qualified to inspect by the same standards the "virginia inspection system" was FOUNDED ON. $216 for on-site inspection. The County was recently prosecuted for using an illegal alien taking bribes for inspection. The County also owes me ALLOT of money they refuse to pay me. Also - they aren't qualified to tell me that I'm not qualified.

(3) I youtube'd it all: consider it done the right way !

Should I just pay the $416, which is OVER FIFTY PERCENT of the cost of the small footprint project. Or should I "make something of this" and sue them for fraud and trying to bill someone they owe money to?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New bathroom in basement: should i pay for a permit / inspection?
Posted by: NKBXL ()
Date: October 11, 2018 07:19PM

Get the Permit, follow the Inspection Process at the different steps, get the Inspection for each phase (Rough In, Framing, Plumbing, HVAC, Venting, Electrical, Insulation/Close In and then make sure you GET the Final Inspection because Realtors are now searching for Open Permits when selling and buying houses. SO many houses in the County have OPEN permits and many Realtors are zeroing in on this and you are then REQUIRED to get the Final Inspection before they list the house or make and offer on the property.

Yes it will cost you money, yes your Real Estate Tax may increase but you will be far better off with this Permitted unless the house is over 30 years old and you have owned it this long.

The other issue is if the house does not have a Walk Out, then they may turn the Permit down until you ADD a properly sized egress for Fire/Rescue to access the basement.

Posted by: Low quality trolling ()
Date: October 11, 2018 07:56PM

$416 is over 50%? How are you going to install a bathroom in the basement for under $800. The fixtures for that job should exceed that price. Then you are going to have to run water and sewer lines and figure out a way to properly vent the fixtures, which itself may involve running other lines. You need to provide appropriate electricity for the room, and modern standards require that involve a GFCI circuit.

This sounds more like anti-government BS than a legitimate question. Anyone who seriously believes he can do an adequate quality new bathroom install in the basement for $1,000 shouldn't be taken seriously.

Date: October 11, 2018 08:42PM

> The fixtures for that job should exceed that price.

no they don't. it's for me and i do all the work. so parts is the cost. that simple.

Date: October 11, 2018 08:53PM

> "figure out a way to properly vent the fixtures"

it's just and air pipe ! there's little to nothing to figure.

however: the builder didn't use "a vent stacks", so i have nothing to attach to - sucks

Date: October 11, 2018 08:54PM

> "This sounds more like anti-government BS than a legitimate question"

Money is always a legitimate issue. Money was in every questions: double dipper.

Date: October 11, 2018 09:00PM

> "The other issue is if the house does not have a Walk Out, then they may turn the Permit down until you ADD a properly sized egress for Fire/Rescue to access the basement."

Funny you say that because I know the County is RENTING "hud" housing (to low income people) that have BASEMENT SHOWER AND BATH without any exit or fire fighter accommodations.

So, according to your post, you should TURN THE COUNTY IN TO THE FEDS IMMEDIATELY

Another issue I didn't mention:

* the County is permitting their own projects in my field of work in a reckless manner: they NEVER asked me for a permit nor paid me to inspect

Posted by: p9ckd ()
Date: October 11, 2018 09:02PM

Cost of New Outlet: $1.00

Cost of watching Youtube to install an outlet: not mutch

Cost of Fairfax County approving: $216

Date: October 11, 2018 09:03PM

* I browsed through fx co gov's forms. many of them are "exception" forms for insiders to skip steps of inspection - only allowed to be filed by "people in the know"

Posted by: 6XH3C ()
Date: October 11, 2018 09:56PM

What say ye good citizen? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > "The other issue is if the house does not have a
> Walk Out, then they may turn the Permit down until
> you ADD a properly sized egress for Fire/Rescue to
> access the basement."
>
>

> Funny you say that because I know the County is
> RENTING "hud" housing (to low income people) that
> have BASEMENT SHOWER AND BATH without any exit or
> fire fighter accommodations.
>
> So, according to your post, you should TURN THE
> COUNTY IN TO THE FEDS IMMEDIATELY
>

>
> Another issue I didn't mention:
>
>

> * the County is permitting their own projects in
> my field of work in a reckless manner: they NEVER
> asked me for a permit nor paid me to inspect
>

If the house and the bathroom was an older installation, then sure the could be no egress, however, almost any new construction/renovation will require basement egress of some sort.

Posted by: Curious? ()
Date: October 11, 2018 09:57PM

What are you doing about the waste lines?

Posted by: Good citzen ()
Date: October 11, 2018 10:51PM

Curious? Wrote:
> What are you doing about the waste lines?

May not bother, and just let the turds pile up for a while. Can figure that out later.

Posted by: Mr Toto ()
Date: October 12, 2018 11:20AM

I got two questions:

(1) how do i know illegal aliens aren't putting in permits for friends without payment ? who's watching this "money box" where you earn money by putting plans in a box ? anything money should be guarded ?

(2) why not just use an already approved "permit" ? this is foolish - to think that adding a basement bathroom is a process that these people "need to review". i'm quite sure there is absolutely NOTHING special about anything - not the home, not the plumbing, not the electrical, nothing at all

Date: October 12, 2018 11:34AM

Curious? Wrote:
> What are you doing about the waste lines?

It's all very standard.

170px-Old_toilet_with_elevated_cistern_a

you connect one of these

to one of these

little-giant-sewage-effluent-pumps-50968

to one of these

FH12JAU_PLUBAT_03.JPG

this isn't the 1980's where people can't afford a book on a subject and contractors refuse to give up any secrets

rather the opposite - too many people are wasting time posting education material they aren't getting paid for

i happen to know contractors in the area are swearing to senior citizens they are doing permits while they are using illegal aliens who aren't qualified and not submitting permits

I think I'm going to want some proof these illegal aliens working in the County permit office are "doing their work" before I dutifully give them money.

I should insure I'm not being ripped off.

I should look at permits for my area to see they are actually being filed by everyone - ie that this has not become a system of "sucker republicans pay, illegals or their bosses who use illegal labor know tricks".

I should go down there and look at the filed permits and the number filed - and their "funding" (that their budget shows cash payment for permits in their drawers).

Posted by: a permit / inspec ()
Date: October 12, 2018 11:45AM

6XH3C Wrote:
> What say ye good citizen? Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > "The other issue is if the house does not have
> a
> > Walk Out, then they may turn the Permit down
> until
> > you ADD a properly sized egress for Fire/Rescue
> to
> > access the basement."
> >
> >

> > Funny you say that because I know the County is
> > RENTING "hud" housing (to low income people)
> that
> > have BASEMENT SHOWER AND BATH without any exit
> or
>
> If the house and the bathroom was an older
> installation, then sure the could be no egress,
> however, almost any new construction/renovation
> will require basement egress of some sort.

That I'm sure is not true.

Fire safety isn't something that's "waived" or waive-able.

If the fire marshal says "this style of home is rated for X number of people", it applies to ALL such structures, even historic ones.

Posted by: Don't tread on me ()
Date: October 12, 2018 11:50AM

Stand up for Freedom & Liberty. The hell with the County! That's the way to go.

Date: October 12, 2018 11:56AM

the situation of saying "these people can have a pack of illegals living in a basement", but those people have to get approval to do the same thing ...

no. that's not how it works.

Building wiring, pluming, and structure get approved before install and the "government" can't usually removal approval once approved (in most cases - sometimes they can).

BUT BUILDING USAGE IS NOT STRUCTURE - IT'S USE, and that goes by current law because it is temporal (done today)

Once more there's something absolutely critical about your flawed statement.

Having a toilet in a basement does not imply the fire department needs better access to the basement any more than "allowing" a machine would.

are you starting to understand your completely unable to formate reasoned arguments ?

Date: October 12, 2018 12:02PM

Actually I don't mind a bit paying the County to look at my work and don't mind if they find a mistake I "have to fix" (very doubtful).

BUT we're talking $432 to do it for a "typical DiY job". Not $50 or $100.

And I highly suspect there are companies not doing permits: some which are OWNED by County supervisors and top level County workers.

Posted by: Treks ()
Date: October 12, 2018 12:03PM

You ask what we think. We tell you. You argue with our answers. This all points to you not caring what we think.

I have bought homes that previous owners did DIY improvements. Doesn't bother me if I think the owner went to the trouble to do it properly. If the owner hasn't bothered to pull permits and get the necessary inspections done it makes me ask myself what other corners he cut.

Date: October 12, 2018 12:05PM

correction: more than "allowing" a washing machine would

Posted by: vnxxh ()
Date: October 12, 2018 12:12PM

Treks Wrote:
> the necessary inspections done it makes me ask
> myself what other corners he cut.

That's not true at all. It's the contractors in fairfax (often owned by gov workers and using illegal labor) THAT CUT CORNERS and install things so they can assure themselves "future service calls". The service industry in fairfax is corrupt as can be.

DiY people? You don't know if they cut corners, you have an appraiser tell you if you can't figure it out for yourself.

If I have some illegal selling a structure and illegals working in a permit department and they say "no problem i have permits" and the realator said "don't worry". My first thing is: the realator is lying there are no permits. The permit people are lying. The contractor is lying.

Your telling me to "TRUST" that a government that lives in mc'mansions and uses illegal labor in their local service industries they owned ARE TO BE TRUSTED.

I'M HERE TO SAY THESE PEOPLE ARE THE LAST PEOPLE YOU SHOULD TAKE THE WORD OF.

Posted by: vnxxh ()
Date: October 12, 2018 12:16PM

I know for sure if i have "assurances" during a home sale that additions are as they appear, that 10 yr down the road when there are problems these people CAN'T EVEN BE FOUND.

CANNOT BE FOUND AND WON'T BE HELD LIABLE

your saying that having a staff of illegals working in a fx co gov office who hate usa "manage" which home has to be hit up for "fees" and who doesn't ?

it's a fucking absolute wreck

it's a damn subway wreck

Posted by: Hazel Construction ()
Date: October 12, 2018 12:25PM

You all are missing the point in all this.

Fairfax County began running service companies using illegal labor - which was illegal at the time (if not now - that's highly arguable).

IN THE PAST - WORK HAD TO BE DONE BY SOMEONE CERTIFIED (who is at least on-site training an apprentice). Today they got un-trained illegals doing labor with no-one who is certified anywhere in the loop.

Later Fairfax County began "hiring their own" workers and completely avoid using commercial contractors - causing some big union contractors in the area to completely close down - because the County "no longer needed union worker contractors" (because companies using illegals were being used for COUNTY WORK).

Date: October 12, 2018 12:27PM

by the OLDER standard (before democrats began killing off usa contractors in the are)

ALL THE WORK BEING DONE IN FAIRFAX IS ILLEGAL AND NOT PERMITTED

Posted by: Treks ()
Date: October 12, 2018 12:30PM

AGAIN

> You ask what we think. We tell you. You argue
> with our answers. This all points to you not
> caring what we think.

Date: October 12, 2018 12:32PM

A bracket installed by an idiot is exactly that. A fool. You can't trust it.

An inspector does get a screw driver and check the tightness of ever screw and nut.

IT'S ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE TO APPROVE WORK DONE BY COMPETE IDIOTS by using a "government inspector"

They will never know if Jose used the right threaded nut, if he left it finger tight but not torqued.

An inspector sees if a bracket is where it needs to be and shakes the pipe. An inspector doesn't tie weight to the pipe and simulate an earthquake. It doesn't work that way.

A bracket put on by an un-trained illegal with no-one certified is just a fool on the wall.

BUT THAT IS WHAT FAIRFAX COUNTY IS DOING. IT WAS ILLEGAL (STILL IS). AND THEY BEGAN DOING IT BY GOV WORKERS RUNNING PRIVATE BUSINESSES DOING THIS WHILE THREATENING AREA CONTRACTORS NOT TO DO THE SAME.

LOOKING BACK WE SEE THE EARLIER THREATS WE ALL ABOUT KEEPING THE BUSINESS OF UN-PERMITTED WORK AS A BUSINESS OF GOV WORKERS / POLITICAL FAMILIES IN THE AREA.

WHO THE HELL IS PAYING FOR THAT ??

Date: October 12, 2018 12:33PM

An inspector does NOT get a screw driver and check the tightness of ever screw and nut. NOT.

Posted by: Truland Electric ()
Date: October 12, 2018 12:48PM

Truland Electric was a big contractor in the area (commercial and residential).

They were union, all certified or apprentice, mostly white (at the time the area had few illegals and the law was - see above).

Truland Electric WAS FORCED OUT OF BUSINESS BY FAIRFAX COUNTY GOVERNMENT DEMOCRATS. (note: there are posts on ffu about such things in the past)

(1) Truland lost county contracts by out-of-state people hired by corrupt politicians (interstate fraud - which is illegal).

(2) Truland lost business because the County hired their "own people" to do the work to avoid hiring contractors.

(3) Truland lost business in the area because County employees were running "businesses" that used illegal labor*

To "stay competitive" businesses were forced to use these cheaper contractors MORESO the businesses were actually owned by the same people running the fraud of using illegal labor and turning the county into an $6 billion / yr school system blood sucker which used NO USA contractors.

Posted by: Bob V ()
Date: October 12, 2018 12:52PM

Any thoughts about having a malfunction or a sewage leak and your basement is flooded and ruined. Then you make a claim to your homeowners insurance and they turn you down because there were no permits pull?
Before you say, they’ll never come look at it, insurance companies are sending out reps more and more to fight off false claims.

Posted by: from the past ()
Date: October 12, 2018 12:54PM

In the past if the inspector knew a gopher was told to install an assembly without being watched he'd say:

tear it all down, call me when it's removed - your doing it all again

Posted by: Yet another electrical contracto ()
Date: October 12, 2018 12:58PM

Obama's Commerce Department, which had illegal aliens obama appointed, shut down YET ANOTHER fairfax electric contractor. can't remember the name but am %100 sure ffu has articles on it. it was in the news.

The Commerce Department SUED the contractor saying that their "electrical exams" were written to keep minorities out because they used "language used by white people".

Not only did this go over well with Fairfax Democrats - they took roughtly $1,5 MILLION DOLLARS from the contractor to insure they were shut down.

--------------------------------

Fairfax County continues to use untrained unwatched illegal laborers to work on electrical contracts in Fairfax.

The permit system?

As I said: a bracket installed by a fool is exactly that. A fool on the wall. You can't approve it unless you remove it and put it back on.

Posted by: slumlording ()
Date: October 12, 2018 01:04PM

I added an "illegal" bathroom to a rental property, no problems so far. I'll just tear it down once I sell, I only spent about a grand building it.

Date: October 12, 2018 01:06PM

Personally I don't care if legal citizens choose to "go DiY" or go back to the apprenticed system (which Bill Clinton killed by making a law that only government schools could issue "certification").

The problem with DiY is you don't get paid for labor: it's bad for the economy because NO MONEY CHANGES HANDS (this is an advanced money supply concept). The benefit is labor is so damn expensive your forced to do it unless it's a government contract - DiY prevents total corruption - it's a break-limit. A contractor who knows his job should be able to do it cheap enough you'd rather pay a little more and have it done by a pro. A little more - NOT SEVERAL TIMES MORE to a company using illegals owned by a political familiy. You see?

My problem is different. I'm forced to do DiY for many reasons.

I'm facing paying a SIGNIFICANT amount of money. I want to know I'm not paying criminals.

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD I HAND MONEY OVER TO CRIMINALS?

Date: October 12, 2018 01:10PM

Reputation. If Fairfax has a bad reputation of hiring illegals, doing illegal work, and cheating at the Courthouse? You see "inspection" and certification and infact law is based on Reputation.

You earn reputation or if your mexican you point weapons and demand respect.

INSPECTIONS run by an ir-repairable un-truthful government? Just more lies.

Posted by: wphxd ()
Date: October 12, 2018 01:11PM

You can do ir-repairable damage to a home.

You can also do ir-repairable damage to a Government, a Town, a Citizen.

Posted by: Why the patent system matters ()
Date: October 12, 2018 01:25PM

USA's patent system has become a corrupt system.

A citizen filer has to pay to file, pay "legal fees" to insure it's not already filed (else be sued), AND OFTEN MUST FILE THE SAME THING SEVERAL TIMES before approval.

After all that (thousands of dollars to file a single patent - note GE has MILLIONS of patents) - the Citizen is COMPLETELY NOT PROTECTED FROM THEFT. Big companies are free to steal and produce the product. The Citizen must sue the company successfully: which is un-likely, and in that even the big company will appeal the ruling over a course of decades (you'll grow old and die before this series ends).

THe patent, though, only applies to USA. The Citizen has to file in every of the 2,000 countries in the world: each who have completely different legal rules and fees.

The patent system is corrupt and protects big companies to steal but also prosecute small companies or foreign companies. (asians are the biggest patent filers in the usa. the patent office and lawyers profit.)

-------------------------

What possible difference does that make?

The County can fail a permit for bullshit reasons, force it to be filed and inspected MANY TIMES.

$432 is not "the cost of doing business"

IT COULD BE MANY THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR AN UN-FAVORED CITIZEN - BECAUSE THE COUNTY CAN FORCE THE PROCESS TO OCCUR MANY TIMES

it's also like NVCC: it's run by government, your forced to use books government chooses, the books are strategically only available in a book store owned by a local political family - the markup on the books is: OUTRAGEOUS, and illegal

Posted by: Why the patent system matters ()
Date: October 12, 2018 01:28PM

I happen to know, from watching FX CO GOV supervisors on TV, that the County board of supervisors approves and dis-approves things IN A HIGHLY POLITICAL MANNER.

Business persons who want (to put in a gas station) who are not "picked winners" have to file permits many times with the board. While others: just skate by.

Date: October 12, 2018 01:32PM

So I'm told the $432 is only a fee that doesn't guarnatee that work can start or that final work, if done, is approved. It could be several thousand dollars.

Ok I have to ask for SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Posters above were totally bullshit about $432 being well worth it.

I have to know if this "inspection system" is not simply a corrupt mechanism of the Board of Supervisors.

SEVERAL THOUSAND to install a few fixtures can amount to GRAND THEFT.

GRAND THEFT is prison time.

Posted by: Open your eyes ()
Date: October 12, 2018 02:00PM

This whole thread has nothing to do with basement bathrooms or pulling permits or getting inspections.
It’s all about people who have a beef with FFX Co. and believe they are a bunch of crooks and about hiring of illegal aliens.
OP could have left all that bathroom shit off and just bitched about FXX Co.

Posted by: KarenLewis ()
Date: November 08, 2018 02:33AM

Bathroom plumbing is a challenging task to undertake as it involves plenty of awkward tasks related to the leaking of the shower-head, toilet or bathtub repair, installation of new bath fixtures, etc. All such problems with plumbing can be avoided if you keep basic issues in mind. Also, it is important to get it installed by the professional residential plumbing NJ services as it also ensures the guarantee and is long-lasting.

Posted by: Bar ()
Date: September 06, 2019 09:35AM

As it's already said the permit is necessary. But it won't be a problem. I myself have a bathroom in the basement and it wasn't difficult to solve legal issues. I'm right now installing a new door. I mean I'm having it installed by https://door-repair-toronto.ca but still. The bathroom is functioning well and there's no problem at all.

Posted by: Insider Threat ()
Date: September 06, 2019 02:33PM

What say ye good citizen? Wrote:
> * I browsed through fx co gov's forms. many of
> them are "exception" forms for insiders to skip
> steps of inspection - only allowed to be filed by
> "people in the know"

Get the right forms which allow you to self-inspect. All perfectly legal.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.