HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 1234AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 4
Zero-Tolerance Policy in Fairfax County Public Schools
Posted by: justice ()
Date: January 21, 2010 07:17PM

Feel free to post your opinions on Fairfax County's Zero-Tolerance Policy. Do you think it is fair? Or rather, do you believe that Zero-Tolerance begets 'Zero-Intelligence,'?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zero-Tolerance Policy in Fairfax County Public Schools
Posted by: Organized Chaos ()
Date: January 21, 2010 07:21PM

Everything should be dealt with on an individual basis. However, schools today are afraid of being sued for favoritism and bias, so a uniform standard of zero tolerance has been adopted.

Date: January 21, 2010 07:27PM

I agree with your opinion. I see that you also posted on Michelle's Thread - Marijuana in School. What do you think about that situation? That's what compelled me to start this thread.

Posted by: Organized Chaos ()
Date: January 21, 2010 07:36PM

justice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with your opinion. I see that you also
> posted on Michelle's Thread - Marijuana in School.
> What do you think about that situation? That's
> what compelled me to start this thread.

I don't know what happened, but the other two girls who left beforehand need to be questioned; I wouldn't be surprised they had something to do with it as well.

What do I think happened? My scenario follows like this: Said females are taking bong hits out of the toilet. Either the other two girls who left had the weed and lighters or the remaining two girls were able to flush everything down the toilet except the bottle.

Either way, this incident needs to be further investigated, and if applicable, a ten day suspension is warranted if anyone involved has a previous disciplinary history w/ this type of incident.

Date: January 21, 2010 07:41PM

Organized Chaos Wrote:
> I don't know what happened, but the other two
> girls who left beforehand need to be questioned; I
> wouldn't be surprised they had something to do
> with it as well.
>
> What do I think happened? My scenario follows like
> this: Said females are taking bong hits out of the
> toilet. Either the other two girls who left had
> the weed and lighters or the remaining two girls
> were able to flush everything down the toilet
> except the bottle.
>
> Either way, this incident needs to be further
> investigated, and if applicable, a ten day
> suspension is warranted if anyone involved has a
> previous disciplinary history w/ this type of
> incident.

Unfortunately, FCPS has a zero-tolerance policy. I don't doubt that both girls were suspended immediately, which seems to be the case. Regardless of priors, anyone suspected to be involved with illegal drug activity is instantly suspended. Hence; 'zero-tolerance'

Posted by: anonnn. ()
Date: January 21, 2010 07:48PM

Zero tolerance gives the impression of being fair to all, and it has the advantage for officials of being easy to enforce; every case is a black-or-white decision. The trouble is that the parents and officials who support zero tolerance are imposing a penalty with sometimes drastic consequence on the kids of people who have brains and who realize there has to be some leeway.
For fairness, what's needed is not zero tolerance, but a clear statement of infractions and penalties at different levels, which must be applied equally to all, whether their parents are doctors or cleaning ladies.

Posted by: Sad ()
Date: January 21, 2010 09:28PM

Google "Remembering Josh" and see what his parents are going through with this zero tolerance penalty. There is all kinds of links to this subject.

Posted by: Sadder ()
Date: January 21, 2010 10:45PM

Sad Wrote:
> Google "Remembering Josh" and see what his parents
> are going through with this zero tolerance
> penalty. There is all kinds of links to this
> subject.

In summary:

"Never, ever, in a million years would I guess what would transpire within two months. That Josh would smoke pot again, be caught at school which enforces a strict Zero-Tolerance policy, face expulsion, and choose to take his own life - the day before the School Board hearing."

Just say no.

Posted by: fairness ()
Date: January 22, 2010 05:53AM

sure kids do stupid things all the time. but if you look at the ss&r and the zero tolerance policy, all of this has to do with being on school grounds or during the school day. if some kid is so desperate to use during the school day, then they have a real problem and it needs to be addressed and being suspended is a wake up call to the parents. otherwise, these kids need to think before they use and stay off of school property while getting high. simple enough.

Posted by: wtf ()
Date: January 22, 2010 06:29AM

Sadder Wrote:
> Sad Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Google "Remembering Josh" and see what his
> parents
> > are going through with this zero tolerance
> > penalty. There is all kinds of links to this
> > subject.
>
> In summary:
>
> "Never, ever, in a million years would I guess
> what would transpire within two months. That Josh
> would smoke pot again, be caught at school which
> enforces a strict Zero-Tolerance policy, face
> expulsion, and choose to take his own life - the
> day before the School Board hearing."
>
> Just say no.

i would kill myself if my parents named me josh too

Posted by: FCPSintolerance ()
Date: January 22, 2010 08:43AM

Each case should be individually handled and parents should be the lead in any punsihment not the school, but since there are evidently parents who don't punish their kids for anything, FCPS picks up that slack for everyone. Parents are not consulted but informed of the FCPS after the fact.

My own child was punished at school for behavior that occured over a school break and not on school property and in no way associated with the school, but they made it their business when some busybody reported the rumors to administration. My own child was near someone who was arrested off school property and time- and was punished at school for being nearby.

So, I think FCPS bends over backwards to punish kids who may be considered innocent in any court of law. But there are no constitutional rights at FCPS. Read the Student R & R thoroughly - it is like some kind of feudal system.

My child passed all the drug & alcohol tests - but was still considered under the influence since he was near someone who was definitely guilty. By this definition, every student at school could be indicted daily since so many kids show up stoned or drunk for school or during school.

They treat teenage stupidity as a crime. I worry about this. When I was young and stupid I had a friend OD on alcohol that I helped to safety. Today, I would be punished for just being near a binge drinker. My friend probably would have died with my assistance. This is probably why that girl in Centreville OD on heroin and her boyfriend ended up in jail - he was too scared to call the parents or emergency services himself or he would take the blame for her heroin use, as he now ended up doing 20 years in jail anyway.

I think FCPS is being run like the Gestapo. I have known kids to be expelled for expressing ideas that are either violent or someway grotesque to most people - they are not ACTING upon these ideas, but the mere expression gets them expelled by the FCPS Thought Police. Someone like author Stephen King would never make it through FCPS today - yet the serial killer at Va Tech did get through FCPS despite well indentified problems. Go figure.

I think the whole system sucks and administration has taken several huge steps backwards in the last 20-30 years. The focus should be on education, not creating a police state.

And one more comment to anyone making a bong in a toilet - GROSS! You deserve whatever disease you get!!

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: January 22, 2010 08:44AM

Without zero tolerence power and money start to influence the decision making process.

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Posted by: WRONG ()
Date: January 22, 2010 09:02AM

Shut up Vince.
Without Zero Tolerance, lazy fucks like you would actually have to do some work.
Zero Tolerance is just EASIER to enforce and viewed as Fair to all. (actually it's for lazy public school employees who sit around just waiting for an early retirement buyout.)

Posted by: Questionable Zero Tolerance ()
Date: January 22, 2010 01:03PM

The zero tolerance policy sounds good on paper, but it can potentially ruin a 15 or 16 year old's future. Honestly, how many of us are now the same person that we were back then, and how many mistakes did we make before we officially grew up?

Seriously, an adult male really becomes so at the age of 21, not 18 biologically speaking. Why slam a kid who makes a mistake, instead of trying to work with him or her first, before applying the foot up their ass? Just doesn't make sense.

Posted by: easy ()
Date: January 22, 2010 04:51PM

Why is everyone so eager to let kids off when they make a mistake? Clearly, these girls made a mistake by smoking pot at school. Ok, so now they know their punishment. Just because kids are stupid and make mistakes, doesn't mean they shouldn't accept the consquences. That's how we learn. So, lesson 1 - smoke pot at school you get suspended and maybe expelled. Lesson 2 - don't do that again.

Posted by: sammy ()
Date: January 22, 2010 05:37PM

Maybe if you weren't an idiot, you wouldn't get yourself into trouble.

Posted by: perplexed ()
Date: January 23, 2010 08:16PM

zero tolerance means zero tolearance al lthe kids know it upfront so why the shock when they get caught ?

Posted by: FCPSIntolerance ()
Date: January 24, 2010 02:17PM

But for all who comment that these girls should know the consequences, you - like the Gestapo FCPS - are making the assumption they are GUILTY. Where is the presumption of innocence until proven guilty? Where is the evidence? Where is their chance to defend themselves?

What grinds me is that kids are suspended and expelled with little or no evidence against them on cases that would never be brought before a Judge in Court because they are so flimsy. Noelle Prosequi, Habeaus Corpus - believe me Latin has died at FCPS because those words are unheard and not practiced there.

And unlike court -where you have a chance to get you case dismissed if you cooperate with the Gestapo over at the ASAP program and do some community service. At school - no such luck. You are out on the first strike.

So, if you just happen to use the bathroom while the bong in the toilet people are smoking - your chances of being suspended are quite high. Or if you frost the wrong person - your chances of being suspended unfairly are even higher. McCarthyism is alive and well at FCPS.

Some kids will tell you the NEVER use the bathroom at school - for this and a variety of other criminal reasons.

Posted by: minor leaugue rights ()
Date: January 24, 2010 04:11PM

minors aren't afforded constitutional right of their own...they are only afforded those of their parents.

FCPSIntolerance Wrote:
> But for all who comment that these girls should
> know the consequences, you - like the Gestapo FCPS
> - are making the assumption they are GUILTY. Where
> is the presumption of innocence until proven
> guilty? Where is the evidence? Where is their
> chance to defend themselves?
>
> What grinds me is that kids are suspended and
> expelled with little or no evidence against them
> on cases that would never be brought before a
> Judge in Court because they are so flimsy. Noelle
> Prosequi, Habeaus Corpus - believe me Latin has
> died at FCPS because those words are unheard and
> not practiced there.
>
> And unlike court -where you have a chance to get
> you case dismissed if you cooperate with the
> Gestapo over at the ASAP program and do some
> community service. At school - no such luck. You
> are out on the first strike.
>
> So, if you just happen to use the bathroom while
> the bong in the toilet people are smoking - your
> chances of being suspended are quite high. Or if
> you frost the wrong person - your chances of being
> suspended unfairly are even higher. McCarthyism is
> alive and well at FCPS.
>
> Some kids will tell you the NEVER use the bathroom
> at school - for this and a variety of other
> criminal reasons.

Posted by: BurnMeOnceShameOnYou ()
Date: January 23, 2011 10:33PM

Speaking from personal experience, I have observed a HUGE failing in FCPS's alleged "adjudication process." I witnessed that FCPS assumes that the kid is guilty, period. (If you don't believe my testimony here, I recommend that you attend one of these "suspension/expulsion hearings," or better yet, talk to me offline--I can give you all the depressing details.) For a serious offense like carrying 0.01 grams of marijuana (or being in the vicinity thereof), expulsion is the rule, not the exception. The system has no resemblance to the actual American justice system--there is no due process, the kids have no rights, and they are detained and subjected to duress and interrogation long before the parents are notified. I can only conclude that it is designed to maximize convenience for FCPS administrators. No regard is given to the effects on the kids being railroaded in the process. It has now come to FCPS having the blood of two teens on its hands, to (maybe) force a re-evaluation of the system. C'mon people, this is America, not Stalinist Russia. It's time for the pendulum to swing back to the middle.

Posted by: ZERO tolerance! ()
Date: January 23, 2011 11:05PM

I'll say it again here:

You crackers don't care when our minority or poor white kids get thrown out of school for a first offense involving drugs/weapons.

But your precious Biff should get 3 or 4 chances for the same offense? Fuck that!

Zero tolerance is the only, repeat ONLY, way to insure equal treatment of ALL kids in this racist society.

Posted by: Been There ()
Date: January 24, 2011 07:47AM

I could have written FCPSINtolerance's post. Same thing happened to my child. There was no evidence, no proof,no due proces, no notification until after the suspension, My child claimed innocence and for once I believed him but no one at FCPS would listen. When we appealed to the Principal, he did not allow my son to appear not did he ever speak to my son, he refused evidence of innocence we had, refused my son's written statement (my son had refused to write a "confession" under duress which was considered proof of his guilt) and he even got my son's name wrong.

Don't think this cannot happen to your child. If they are in the vicinity of a guilty party, they are guilty. Does not matter if they are on school property or not, the latest VA legislation lets the school poke its nose into any juvenile offense. Most cases like this are null processed or dismissed in juvenile court. At FCPS, its an automatic life sentence guilty or innocent.

Posted by: Scary FCPS ()
Date: January 24, 2011 07:54AM

I'm not convinced that a mega school district can do a good job these days. It's too impersonal, there's too many administrators at the central offices who do very little that actually assists with the educational process, and there is enormous pressure on teachers to get test results (SOLs was the weirdest thing when we moved here--we were like WHAT is the big deal about them?).

Posted by: Mad Hatter ()
Date: January 24, 2011 11:04AM

The problem with zero tolerance is that it eliminates the very concept our judicial system is based on, which is "innocent until proven guilty". In any situation, drugs, fighting, etc, a school resource officer or police should conduct an investigation and obtain all the evidence and facts so the School can make a decision as each case is unique.

Unfortunately, this entire process now almost soley appears to fall on school administrators who are untrained and afraid of a lawsuit. Therefore, the administrator goes with the easy way out and discipline the child(ren) based on their opinion, not the facts, and points their finger at the "zero intelligence" policy. This lays the burden of proof on the accused. Oddly enough, most parents simply accept at face value and do not question the the decision, nor how the decision was determined.

When a parent/guardian does question or disagrees with the decision based on evidence or facts, the buck is then passed on to the school board. This results in a process in which the parents/guardians are forced to deal with a politician at the school board whose sole job is to defend the policy and decision. Even when the school board is facing a preponderance of evidence they still choose to stand by the policy and decision.

The school board does this because they know that more than 99% of the students parents/guardians will simply complain and do nothing else. So the odds are really in the FCPS boards favor. Which is why parents should take it out of the hands of the School and FCPS board and take it to court where the child(ren) can receive a fair and unbias decision.

However, due to the costs and time involved, most parents change their mind. Which I feel is huge mistake, because while it could take several years, the school board normally folds right before a trial and pay knowing that no one can determine what a jury will do when faced with actual facts. Be the ant, not the grasshopper when dealing with FCPS.

Posted by: end ZT ()
Date: January 24, 2011 11:27AM

The schools are run like jails or POW camps. I know a lot of people will respond that 'if your kid does nothing wrong, you don't have anything to worry about'. That is true. But parents should not have to worry about the school being judge, jury, and executioner for petty infractions - all done before a parent is involved.

Many crimes are treated differently based on re-ocurrence - hence the term first time offenders. You get a much harsher punishment for a 2nd DWI, or 2nd assault, or whatever. But in FCPS, the concept of a first offense seems to be lost. Oddly, the adults in FCPS seem better protected and have more due process than the kids.

Posted by: huh ()
Date: January 24, 2011 11:32AM

I am really confused, when you say to take it to court, first why would a court that hears criminal cases hear a school expulsion?. Are you talking about a civil suit against the school board?

Posted by: Mad Hatter ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:30PM

My apologies, I should have clarrified, I was referring to "civil".

Posted by: huh ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:49PM

OK, so what would be the basis of the suit?. Less than half a percent of expelled students acually leave the school system. Going to another school is not depriving anyone of an education, the only requirement of schools in Virginia is to provide something. A civil suit would make an attorney happy but it wouldnt go anywhere.

Posted by: what's the point? ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:53PM

If a student is a danger to others, he/she should be expelled COMPLETELY from FCPS. These 'expulsions' to other schools - from Woodson to Fairfax or Langley to Marshall - what's the point? If that kid was a danger in his/her home school, won't they be just as much a danger in the new school? And if they are not a danger, why are you just shifting them around? It's a solution devised by a bureaucrat - meaningless actions parading as an accomplishment.

Posted by: Dean ()
Date: February 22, 2011 10:08PM

I live in Prince William County, our son attends Beville Middle School, and is being railroaded by the PWCS system of "Zero Tollerance" much like the stories that I have read regarding Fairfax County.
On 02 February 2011, Nickolas had taken a small pocket knife (the blade measures approximately 1 3/4 inches) to school.
He was immediately suspended for 5 school days, with which we did not meet with the Principal again until 1 week after the incident.
His Office of Student Management and Alternative Programs (OSMAP) hearing is scheduled for tomorrow, 23 February 2011, Building #101, 14800 Joplin Road, Independent Hill, Manassas VA 20112.
Without further notification, he has not attended school since, and told he would be arrested for trespassing if found on PWCS properties.
We have met with an attorney, who will be present (if allowed by OSMAP) at the hearing.
Do you have any further advice or instructions.
Our Son has an exemplary record of attendance, no disciplinary problems and a straight A/B student with Honor Roll mentions.

Posted by: observer1999 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 11:19PM

I'm pretty sure that in Fairfax Co, the blade has to be longer than that (3 inches, maybe? not sure) to be an automatic expulsion. Anything under a certain length and it's up to the discretion of the school. I know of a student who had a key-chain size knife (like 1 inch), and the teacher was able to reason with the administrator that the kid had it out of ignorance/neglect (as opposed to malice). Citing no prior behavior problems, etc, the admin suspended him for a couple days but never took it to the school board. I think if it can be reasoned out within the school there is some flexibility (depending on the school), but if it goes beyond that - to the board, then it's tougher.

Posted by: observer1999 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 11:21PM

...probably had A LOT to do with the teacher sticking up for the kid early on though. Depending on how your child got caught/circumstances, he might not be so lucky.

Posted by: Think First ()
Date: February 23, 2011 09:43AM

Just wanted to know from others...are there other sites or groups to join if you want to help change the zero tolerence policy in our schools?

This family has also had a very bad school year with this sort of nonsense, and we have instructed both our kids to "lawyer-up" if ever anythoing goes wrong.

Life shouldn't be like that!

Anyway, how can we help effect change?

My suggestion is to stage a mass protest, and everyone refuse to sign that three R's document in September. That will get their attention.

If Egypt can do it, so can we!

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: February 23, 2011 06:20PM

This thread is full of FCPS students who simply want to get by with all kinds of garbage. The policy is fine as it stands, so stop whining.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: 620 ()
Date: February 24, 2011 01:46PM

Posted by: 2866 ()
Date: March 01, 2011 07:46AM

Posted by: 2866 ()
Date: March 01, 2011 07:51AM

You can get involved here.

http://fairfaxzerotolerancereform.org/

Posted by: kajdsgh ()
Date: March 03, 2011 05:52PM

If a student of a highschool smoked pot with a kid (off school grounds) and the kid tells his parents and they call the school and search the boy he smoked with and charges him with possesion of Marijuana when he has none one him at all is this possible or can it be easily over turned in court?

Posted by: no,no,no ()
Date: March 03, 2011 07:16PM

Get good legal advice parents. If your child is caught OFF GROUNDS on a minor charge they can be kicked out of school. The SB does not care about a child in need.

Even if your child has a MINOR CHARGE! We should all be outraged!

These are kids. Not adults.

I am not talking guns,crack,bullying and gangs but small stuff.

Start saving money since teens are teens.

I would HOPE my child would not kill himself over such BS but it can happen.

Posted by: Robert Jacods III ()
Date: March 03, 2011 07:52PM

Zero tolerance is for nazis. Who hasn't made a mistake in their life. Expel repeat offenders and give the others a second chance.

Posted by: wow ()
Date: March 06, 2011 12:39PM

Based on a letter to the editor in today's Washington Post, it looks like at least one person had a good experience with the school board, hearing office and both schools during her child's hearing and suspension process. She states that the SB did not concur with the recommendation for explusion, that the hearing officer was "warm and caring" and that her child has done well at his new school (Woodson) and still cares for his old school (Chantilly).

Posted by: BS ()
Date: March 06, 2011 12:52PM

wow Wrote:
> Based on a letter to the editor in today's
> Washington Post, it looks like at least one person
> had a good experience with the school board,
> hearing office and both schools during her child's
> hearing and suspension process. She states that
> the SB did not concur with the recommendation for
> explusion, that the hearing officer was "warm and
> caring" and that her child has done well at his
> new school (Woodson) and still cares for his old
> school (Chantilly).

I call BS. A child was expelled from Chantilly for the "crime" of graffiti. This one turned out OK but many do not. There is no justification for the severity of the punishment.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: March 06, 2011 12:57PM

wow Wrote:
> Based on a letter to the editor in today's Washington Post, it looks like at least one person had a good experience with the school board, hearing office and both schools during her child's hearing and suspension process. She states that the SB did not concur with the recommendation for explusion, that the hearing officer was "warm and caring" and that her child has done well at his new school (Woodson) and still cares for his old school (Chantilly).<

And yet, despite this experience, this parent/author supports ZTR.

Posted by: Parental Opinion ()
Date: March 06, 2011 01:19PM

wow Wrote:
> ...She states that the SB did not concur with the recommendation for
> explusion, that the hearing officer was "warm and caring" and that
> her child has done well at his new school (Woodson) and still cares
> for his old school (Chantilly).

Something does not compute.

Getting removed from Chantilly and moved to Woodson =is= being expelled from Chantilly.

Posted by: hmph ()
Date: March 06, 2011 07:18PM

Strict discipline ---> depression ---> suicide.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: bser ()
Date: March 06, 2011 08:29PM

did anyone read that piece in the Post editorial section today about the zero tolerance policy? Dude spray painted grafiti on his school and trespassed at two others and his mom says he made a "mistake". A mistake?
Sounded more like vandalism to me. So he was thrown out of his HS - but apparently he was a good ball player and got into TC Williams and then got two college scholarships. The piece was a criticism of the FCPS zero tolerance policy.
Sorry - my heart was not warmed.

Posted by: Duchess ()
Date: March 07, 2011 11:39AM

Sorry your heart was not warmed. But there should have been other discipline methods before expelling a kid for vandalism and trespass. Everytime anyone walks around the school track on off hours - you could be charged with trespassing. The kid should have to pay or do the work to remove/cover the vandalism and have detention or even suspension - not expulsion for the first offense.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: March 07, 2011 11:57AM

The only people complaining about the Zero-Tolerance policy are the fuck-ups who are doing shit that they know they shouldn't be doing. I mean really, how hard is this shit?

School: "You will be expelled if you bring drugs to school."

Student: "I brought drugs to school and you caught me."

School: "You're expelled."

Student: "SO UNFAIR! WAAAAAAAH!!!"

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: what about fundamental fairness ()
Date: March 07, 2011 12:43PM

If I were Dante's mom, I would want to know why these kids weren't expelled.....

Vandalism incident at Mount Vernon High got way out of hand.

By By Rich Sanders
Thursday, September 28, 2006

Year three of West Potomac High football coach Eric Henderson's re-building program took a hit two weeks ago when several Wolverine players, along with other West Potomac students, were caught committing vandalism acts at Mount Vernon High School by security cameras.
The defacement of property acts took place the night of Thursday, Sept. 14, one day before West Potomac was to host Mount Vernon in a non-district, cross-town rival football game.
According to West Potomac High Principal Rima Vesilind, as many as 18 youngsters were believed to have been involved in the incident, including a few who are not students at West Potomac.
Vesilind said Wolverine paw prints and the letters "WP" were found spray-painted at various places on the Mount Vernon campus. Youths spray-painted the Mount Vernon High `Rock,' located in the front of the school, as well as the trunk of a tree, a sidewalk, and the school stadium's concession stand.
According to Bernie Forte, director of student activities at Mount Vernon, there were also spray-painted graffiti on the football stadium pressbox. Forte said the two schools worked together to determine what exactly had occurred.
"Both schools did an investigation," said Forte.
Security cameras recorded the acts and some of the West Potomac students who were caught on tape were called in to talk to West Potomac school authorities on Friday afternoon.
"We're fortunate because Mount Vernon has cameras outside," said Vesilind. "The outside cameras caught everyone on video. We were able to identify everyone immediately."
Before that evening's football game, it was determined that the Wolverine players involved would not be allowed to play against Mount Vernon. That turned out to be a large enough number of players that coach Henderson had to call up the entire JV team to help deal with the vacancies on the varsity roster (see related game story on page 35). The Wolverines, who many believed would defeat a re-building Mount Vernon team, were overwhelmed in a 39-0 loss.
Investigations into the vandalism continued throughout the early parts of this week.
Although it was uncertain as of Tuesday if the West Potomac football players involved would be allowed to play in this Thursday night's game at Centreville High, Henderson indicated he believed the players would be allowed to play.

VESILIND BELIEVES last week's incident at Mount Vernon began as a fun type of prank in which the youngsters planned to spray paint the Mount Vernon High `Rock.' But things snowballed from there and the students got carried away.
"West Potomac will definitely take appropriate action," said Vesilind, who said penalty options included out of school or in school suspensions as well as possible community service. "Most teenagers have a difficult time making good decisions in life. We want to help them understand how not to be a follower."
Jeff Dietze, the West Potomac Director of Student Activities, said youngsters do not always think of the repercussions which come in doing wrong things.
"It started as painting the rock and got out of hand," said Dietze. "Now we've got a major issue. Kids do not understand the consequences of what can happen."
In a written release earlier this week, Captain Mike Kline, commander at the Mount Vernon District Police Station, said little information could be given out on the vandalism occurrence because of the youngsters' ages and because the investigation was ongoing. Part of the release read: "Several WPHS kids were identified as suspects, many of whom are football players. As a result many WPHS football players were suspended for last Friday night's game. ..."Because criminal investigation is on going and the suspects are juveniles, I will not be able to provide any additional information."
Vesilind said youngsters involved in the vandalism went over to Mount Vernon with their parents and coaches on Sunday and cleaned up the spray painted areas.
"They cleaned up everything," said Vesilind. "They power-washed, cleaned things and re-painted. They, on their own volition, went over and cleaned everything up. ...West Potomac will be using this as a learning opportunity."
On Tuesday, coach Henderson said he could not elaborate on the severity of the penalties but believed the football players involved would be allowed to play this week against the Wildcats of Centreville.
"We anticipate those kids who did not play [last] Friday will play on Thursday," he said.
The coach, naturally, was disappointed with the poor decision making exhibited by the youngsters involved, and particularly his team members.
"I take it personally," said Henderson. "I've tried to instill some core values in the program — honesty, doing the right thing, being a good man and valuable member of the community. I [think] my message has been a little ineffective."
Naturally, the vandalism incident affected the competitiveness of last Friday's annual West Potomac-Mount Vernon game in a negative way.
"You like to see two teams evenly matched any time they face each other," said Forte. "It puts a negative touch on the game. The administrators of the schools have to do what's right."
Dietze said Wolverine coaches have talked to their players about conduct issues.
"Our coaches spent a lot of time talking about leadership and holding ourselves to high standards," he said.
In an apparent retaliation, the West Potomac High `Rock' was spray-painted by vandals this past weekend, according to Vesilind. Also, athletic signs decorating the outside of the West Potomac school — commemorative signs honoring past West Potomac athletic championships — were knocked down.

Posted by: wrong thread ()
Date: March 07, 2011 12:46PM

thought this was about punishing students for forcing teachers to have sex with them

Posted by: Mr. Mephisto ()
Date: March 07, 2011 01:04PM

The only people supporting the Zero-Tolerance policy are the fucking asshole nazis who are doing shit that they know is sadistic and abusive. I mean really, how hard is this shit?

School: "You have no due process rights."

Student: "The U.S. Constitution and the U.S. Supreme Court says that I do."

School: "Fuck you and fuck your constitutional rights."

Student: "I wiull see you in Federal Court!!!"

School: "WAAAAA, WAAAAAA WAAAA, SOOOOOO UNFAIR!!!!"

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: March 07, 2011 01:05PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> The only people complaining about the
> Zero-Tolerance policy are the fuck-ups who are
> doing shit that they know they shouldn't be doing.
> I mean really, how hard is this shit?

+1

Some breeders are so used to trying to be their kid's friend instead of the kid's parent that they just don't get making a rule stick. They are the same annoying parents you see in public telling their kid they want some behavior stopped by the time they count to three. Three goes by and the behavior continues, so they count to four and five (and beyond) raising their voice louder, as if that is supposed to impress some importance on the child. The slap on the ass was supposed to happen at three, and the child learns to respect the threat of consequences when rules are plainly stated and are then plainly broken.

Fast forward twelve years and both the parents and students are asking "where is my 'four' and 'five' on this 'three' count? No Fair!!1!11!!1111!!1!!!!!!!!!1!!!"

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: Just Saying ()
Date: March 07, 2011 01:15PM

"The only people supporting the Zero-Tolerance policy are the fucking asshole nazis who are doing shit that they know is sadistic and abusive. I mean really, how hard is this shit? "

School: "You have no due process rights."

Student: "The U.S. Constitution and the U.S. Supreme Court says that I do."

School: "Fuck you and fuck your constitutional rights."

Student: "I wiull see you in Federal Court!!!"

School: "WAAAAA, WAAAAAA WAAAA, SOOOOOO UNFAIR!!!!"

+1

Some children-haters are so used to trying to be their dudes friend instead of a conscientiuous citizen that they just don't get making the law stick. They are the same annoying assholes you see in public telling their "boyz" they want some behavior performed by the time they count to three. Three goes by and the behavior continues, so they count to four and five (and beyond) raising their voice louder, as if that is supposed to impress some importance on the dude. The slap on the ass was supposed to happen at three, and the dude learns to respect the threat of consequences when rules are plainly stated and are then plainly broken.

Fast forward twelve years and both the dude and asshole are asking "where is my 'four' and 'five' on this 'three' count? No Fair!!1!11!!1111!!1!!!!!!!!!1!!!"

Date: March 07, 2011 01:55PM

Mr. Mephisto Wrote:
> The only people supporting the Zero-Tolerance
> policy are the fucking asshole nazis who are doing
> shit that they know is sadistic and abusive. I
> mean really, how hard is this shit?
>
> School: "You have no due process rights."
>
> Student: "The U.S. Constitution and the U.S.
> Supreme Court says that I do."
>
> School: "Fuck you and fuck your constitutional
> rights."
>
> Student: "I wiull see you in Federal Court!!!"
>
> School: "WAAAAA, WAAAAAA WAAAA, SOOOOOO
> UNFAIR!!!!"

Yes, school administrators are expelling kids who bring drugs to school or destroy taxpayer-funded property because they hate kids. Fine detective work, Sherlock.

"Due process?" What, like kids should have the opportunity to explain WHY they brought drugs into school? SPOILER ALERT: Telling them that you're holding it for a friend will never work.

I hope to the gods that this policy stays in place forever, because "Zero Tolerance" is how the world fucking works. Pull this shit at work, and you're GONE, no appeals.

Posted by: Mr. Mephisto ()
Date: March 07, 2011 02:02PM

Yes, school administrators are trampling the 14th amendment due process rights of our student. Fine detective work there, asshole.

"Drugs in school?" What, like kid shouldn't have the opportunity to explain WHY they were falsely accused, railroaded, and had exculpatory evidenced buried? SPOILER ALERT: Telling them that they don't have 14th amendment due process rights will never work. Asshole.

I hope to the gods that this lawless policy is removed forever, because "Zero Tolerance" is not at all how the world fucking works. Unless you are a filthy lawless nazi. Pull this shit at work,like the pot-growing elementary school Principal, and you're GET TO LAWYER UP, WITH ENDLESS appeals. Asshole.

Date: March 07, 2011 02:33PM

Mr. Mephisto Wrote:
> Yes, school administrators are trampling the 14th
> amendment due process rights of our student. Fine
> detective work there, asshole.

Ding ding! Here comes the Clue Train!

Kids generally don't have constitutional rights, and children in school definitely don't have constitutional rights. Ever hear of "in loco parentis?" It's a fancy latin phrase that means, "while you're in school, the school is your parent." The reason being, it's really hard on the education process when you have a bunch of dumbass kids who think they know shit about shit constantly whining about how it's their First Amendment right to call the teacher a stupid fuck-knuckle.

You're also forgetting that it's not "your" locker they're so unfairly searching. It's the school's locker that they're allowing you to use. They're allowed to search book bags because their goal is to give you an education (which, in your case, they've clearly failed at that so far), and large amounts of kids carrying drugs and weapons around schools kinda interferes with that.

For added hilarity, get caught with weapons or drugs on school property as an adult. You'll be flipping burgers to pay the fines for the rest of your life.

Posted by: what was their punishment? ()
Date: March 07, 2011 02:47PM

Langley Students Vandalize McLean High, Insult Step Team

Ugly Incidents at Langley-McLean Basketball Game
By Paula Rogo

| January 13, 2011

Update:The Fairfax County Police Department just stated that no police officers were injured at the basketball game on December 17.

A McLean student was detained by an officer after throwing a water bottle as other students were leaving. That student was turned over to school administrators for school discipline. No-one was arrested

McLEAN - Langley High School students vandalized McLean High School and hurled insults that bordered on racial slurs during the first basketball game between the two long-time McLean cross town rivals in December.

According to a story in the Saxon Scope, the Langley High School student newspaper, "At the game, which was hosted at McLean, Langley students hurled insults at McLean’s step team, shouted demeaning messages at the opposing fans, and even managed to put seventeen holes in McLean’s gym bleachers using their feet. By the end of the game, the police were involved, and an officer was injured, the Scope story said.

McLean Patch has asked the Fairfax County Police Department about the incident.

Langley High School principal Matthew Ragone "later addressed the abuse inflicted on the McLean step team, saying, “Their step team gets mocked by a lot of schools, not just Langley. Those girls are really courageous to get out there in front of everybody, just to be made fun of. [The principal of McLean] told me that the step team coaches have to persuade them every game to keep going,” the Scope reported.

"Mr. Ragone said he was saddened when on Friday, Langley became one of the many schools to mock the step team. “People see us [making fun of them] and think it’s a racial reaction….They accuse us of being racist. And I really don’t know what to say to that,” the Langley newpaper reported.

Stepping is a dance performance, made popular by African American fraternities and sororities, involving chanting, singing, stomping of the feet, and clapping of the hands in a synchronized manner. McLean’s step-team has a diverse racial make-up. In past years, it has been a majority African American team.

After talking with McLean Principal Deborah Jackson, Paul Regnier, the spokesman for the Fairfax County Public Schools confirmed, that around 25 school bleachers were damaged. Unable to give the cost of repairs, he added that “the bill for the bleachers will go to Langley.” Regnier could not comment on any disciplinary action.

It could not be determined if Jackson had addressed her student body about the incidents. Teachers have discussed the incidents in some classes.

Why should you care if you have no children who attend either McLean or Langley: Because taxpayers will end up paying to repair the damages and because some of our students have been hurt and disrespected by some of their neighbors.

McLean and Langley are two of Fairfax County's most elite schools. Both are attended by children from some of the richest families in the county where fathers and mothers are lawyers, doctor, diplomats, lobbyists, high ranking government officials and Supreme Court justices. The granddaughter of former president Lyndon Johnson teaches at Langley.

This is the second time this year that Langley students have vandalised a school. Some Langley students damaged their own school in October when they defied Ragone and staged the banned rituals of Color Day which includes spraying each other with paint, mustard and ketchup that gets on school walls, floors and tables.

Neither Ragone nor Jackson would comment for this story. It is unclear if Ragone offered an apology on behalf of Langley and whether Jackson asked for one on behalf of McLean. McLean Patch made several attempts to talk to both principals. We visited both schools, where Jackson was unavailable and Ragone had already left for the day. The following day Ragone referred us to Assistant Principal Fred Amico, who did not return our calls. Jackson referred us to Regnier. Both principals knew we were calling about the incidents at the game.

Ragone asked students to voluntarily write letters of apology to McLean, according to the Saxon Scope.

The two schools, which are four miles apart, have enjoyed a long and spirited rivalry. The December game was a tight game, with Langley taking the win at 43-42 “The games are extremely vibrant,” Rose Amolo, a McLean parent says. “I look forward to going to them.

The games have become so intense that fans from each school must use separate entrances to avoid confrontations.

Nnenna Izegbu, who graduated from McLean in 2009, and was the step team captain for two years said, “We loved to perform because we get love and overwhelming support from our school. . . You have to understand that the rivalry is amplified,” she added. “People are ready to say anything to make the other side angry. They don’t realize what they’re saying can be semi-derogatory.”

Regnier said students do get overexcited during games. “We try to do what we can to stop them.” He adds that it is up to the school’s principals to figure out how to stop these actions.

Dave Seminara, a freelance sports reporter who covered the game for Patch, said, "I've covered about a dozen games for Patch so far, and this was the only game I've done where there was any chanting going on". The chants included:

Langley Fans: "Our girls are hotter!" (During a halftime cheerleaders skit) A small group of their fans also chanted "We can buy you" at one point, and a handful were mocking a girl on the McLean team and yellling at her that she was "ugly." After they won, they chanted "this is OUR house." (though the game was at Mclean)

McLean Fans: They chanted the name of the ex-wife of one of the Langley coaches ex-wife at one point. I asked a few people about this, but no one was very clear how this got started. They chanted "Justin Beiber" frequently, at one of the Langley players. They also chanted "He's a freshman," and "Merry Christmas" a few times.

Ragone told his students, “If we take the high road and show what classy, nice people we can be, then our relationship with McLean can be rebuilt. But if we act defensive and make excuses for our behavior, then we won’t be playing McLean in public anymore,” Ragone said according to the Saxon Scope.

Posted by: different rules ()
Date: March 07, 2011 03:52PM

A McLean student was detained by an officer after throwing a water bottle as other students were leaving

This is an expellable offense-for sure.

By the end of the game, the police were involved, and an officer was injured, the Scope story said.

They injured a cop-holy cow!

The games have become so intense that fans from each school must use separate entrances to avoid confrontations

Sounds like an angry mob to me.

The games are extremely vibrant,” Rose Amolo, a McLean parent says. “I look forward to going to them.

VIBRANT???? Sounds like an angry, racist mob to me.

This is the second time this year that Langley students have vandalised a school. Some Langley students damaged their own school in October when they defied Ragone and staged the banned rituals of Color Day which includes spraying each other with paint, mustard and ketchup that gets on school walls, floors and tables.

These kids sound out of control to me.

If this behavior happened at Annandale or Mt Vernon, three things would have happened:

1. The cops would have been called and multiple students would have been taken to jail.

2. Kids would have been banned from future games.

3. Multiple suspensions and expulsions

How nice for these brats from Langley to get special treatment.

Posted by: SmartestWomanAlive ()
Date: March 07, 2011 04:01PM

i support mandatory switchblade training from grades 9-12

Posted by: bser ()
Date: March 07, 2011 04:10PM

Duchess Wrote:
> Sorry your heart was not warmed. But there should
> have been other discipline methods before
> expelling a kid for vandalism and trespass.
> Everytime anyone walks around the school track on
> off hours - you could be charged with trespassing.
> The kid should have to pay or do the work to
> remove/cover the vandalism and have detention or
> even suspension - not expulsion for the first
> offense.

Perhps it should have just been left up to the police to handle the matter - since vandalism is a crime - and the school should have stayed out of it altogether. BTW, I wonder if an average schlub who did the same thing as this guy but wasn't such a good ball player would have fared so well?

Posted by: color day? ()
Date: March 07, 2011 04:44PM

Color day is where you smear each other with ketchup,mustard, and spray paint.

Sounds like a fag game to me.

Posted by: Mr.Mephisto ()
Date: March 07, 2011 05:02PM

MrMephisto wrote:

"Ding ding! Here comes the Clue Train!

"Kids generally don't have constitutional rights, and children in school definitely don't have constitutional rights. Ever hear of "in loco parentis?" It's a fancy latin phrase that means, "while you're in school, the school is your parent." The reason being, it's really hard on the education process when you have a bunch of dumbass kids who think they know shit about shit constantly whining about how it's their First Amendment right to call the teacher a stupid fuck-knuckle."

Now here is the truth of the matter, you contemptible, ignorant, pathetic, piece of sewer trash. The Supreme Court flatly rejects your brownshirt approach to school discipline. And to that end, here is the explicit language of the Court in Tinker v Des Moines, which was decided in 1969.

"It can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate."

Wanna read that over and over again,you stupid filthy loudmouth piece of shiit?

Now shut the phuk up and get lost, you ignorant scumbag.

Date: March 07, 2011 06:33PM

Mr.Mephisto Wrote:
> MrMephisto wrote:
>
> "Ding ding! Here comes the Clue Train!
>
> "Kids generally don't have constitutional rights,
> and children in school definitely don't have
> constitutional rights. Ever hear of "in loco
> parentis?" It's a fancy latin phrase that means,
> "while you're in school, the school is your
> parent." The reason being, it's really hard on the
> education process when you have a bunch of dumbass
> kids who think they know shit about shit
> constantly whining about how it's their First
> Amendment right to call the teacher a stupid
> fuck-knuckle."
>
>
> Now here is the truth of the matter, you
> contemptible, ignorant, pathetic, piece of sewer
> trash. The Supreme Court flatly rejects your
> brownshirt approach to school discipline. And to
> that end, here is the explicit language of the
> Court in Tinker v Des Moines, which was decided in
> 1969.
>
> "It can hardly be argued that either students or
> teachers shed their constitutional rights to
> freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse
> gate."
>
> Wanna read that over and over again,you stupid
> filthy loudmouth piece of shiit?
>
> Now shut the phuk up and get lost, you ignorant
> scumbag.

Ah, name calling. The last refuge of the uninformed.

Posted by: 1969 Tinker v Des Moines ()
Date: March 07, 2011 06:52PM

Is this the last time this has been challenged?

I hope so since this still holds true to this day.

Posted by: Langley way of life ()
Date: March 07, 2011 07:23PM

what was their punishment? Wrote:
> Langley Students Vandalize McLean High, Insult
> Step Team
>
> Ugly Incidents at Langley-McLean Basketball Game
> By Paula Rogo
>
> | January 13, 2011
>
> Update:The Fairfax County Police Department
> just stated that no police officers were injured
> at the basketball game on December 17.
>
> A McLean student was detained by an officer after
> throwing a water bottle as other students were
> leaving. That student was turned over to school
> administrators for school discipline. No-one was
> arrested
>
> McLEAN - Langley High School students vandalized
> McLean High School and hurled insults that
> bordered on racial slurs during the first
> basketball game between the two long-time McLean
> cross town rivals in December.
>
> According to a story in the Saxon Scope, the
> Langley High School student newspaper, "At the
> game, which was hosted at McLean, Langley students
> hurled insults at McLean’s step team, shouted
> demeaning messages at the opposing fans, and even
> managed to put seventeen holes in McLean’s gym
> bleachers using their feet. By the end of the
> game, the police were involved, and an officer was
> injured, the Scope story said.
>
> McLean Patch has asked the Fairfax County Police
> Department about the incident.
>
> Langley High School principal Matthew Ragone
> "later addressed the abuse inflicted on the McLean
> step team, saying, “Their step team gets mocked
> by a lot of schools, not just Langley. Those girls
> are really courageous to get out there in front of
> everybody, just to be made fun of. told me that
> the step team coaches have to persuade them every
> game to keep going,” the Scope reported.
>
> "Mr. Ragone said he was saddened when on Friday,
> Langley became one of the many schools to mock the
> step team. “People see us and think it’s a
> racial reaction….They accuse us of being racist.
> And I really don’t know what to say to that,”
> the Langley newpaper reported.
>
> Stepping is a dance performance, made popular by
> African American fraternities and sororities,
> involving chanting, singing, stomping of the feet,
> and clapping of the hands in a synchronized
> manner. McLean’s step-team has a diverse racial
> make-up. In past years, it has been a majority
> African American team.
>
>
> After talking with McLean Principal Deborah
> Jackson, Paul Regnier, the spokesman for the
> Fairfax County Public Schools confirmed, that
> around 25 school bleachers were damaged. Unable to
> give the cost of repairs, he added that “the
> bill for the bleachers will go to Langley.”
> Regnier could not comment on any disciplinary
> action.
>
> It could not be determined if Jackson had
> addressed her student body about the incidents.
> Teachers have discussed the incidents in some
> classes.
>
> Why should you care if you have no children who
> attend either McLean or Langley: Because taxpayers
> will end up paying to repair the damages and
> because some of our students have been hurt and
> disrespected by some of their neighbors.
>
> McLean and Langley are two of Fairfax County's
> most elite schools. Both are attended by children
> from some of the richest families in the county
> where fathers and mothers are lawyers, doctor,
> diplomats, lobbyists, high ranking government
> officials and Supreme Court justices. The
> granddaughter of former president Lyndon Johnson
> teaches at Langley.
>
> This is the second time this year that Langley
> students have vandalised a school. Some Langley
> students damaged their own school in October when
> they defied Ragone and staged the banned rituals
> of Color Day which includes spraying each other
> with paint, mustard and ketchup that gets on
> school walls, floors and tables.
>
>
>
> Neither Ragone nor Jackson would comment for this
> story. It is unclear if Ragone offered an apology
> on behalf of Langley and whether Jackson asked for
> one on behalf of McLean. McLean Patch made several
> attempts to talk to both principals. We visited
> both schools, where Jackson was unavailable and
> Ragone had already left for the day. The following
> day Ragone referred us to Assistant Principal Fred
> Amico, who did not return our calls. Jackson
> referred us to Regnier. Both principals knew we
> were calling about the incidents at the game.
>
>
> Ragone asked students to voluntarily write letters
> of apology to McLean, according to the Saxon
> Scope.
>
> The two schools, which are four miles apart, have
> enjoyed a long and spirited rivalry. The December
> game was a tight game, with Langley taking the win
> at 43-42 “The games are extremely vibrant,”
> Rose Amolo, a McLean parent says. “I look
> forward to going to them.
>
> The games have become so intense that fans from
> each school must use separate entrances to avoid
> confrontations.
>
> Nnenna Izegbu, who graduated from McLean in 2009,
> and was the step team captain for two years said,
> “We loved to perform because we get love and
> overwhelming support from our school. . . You have
> to understand that the rivalry is amplified,”
> she added. “People are ready to say anything to
> make the other side angry. They don’t realize
> what they’re saying can be semi-derogatory.”
>
> Regnier said students do get overexcited during
> games. “We try to do what we can to stop
> them.” He adds that it is up to the school’s
> principals to figure out how to stop these
> actions.
>
> Dave Seminara, a freelance sports reporter who
> covered the game for Patch, said, "I've covered
> about a dozen games for Patch so far, and this was
> the only game I've done where there was any
> chanting going on". The chants included:
>
> Langley Fans: "Our girls are hotter!" (During a
> halftime cheerleaders skit) A small group of their
> fans also chanted "We can buy you" at one point,
> and a handful were mocking a girl on the McLean
> team and yellling at her that she was "ugly."
> After they won, they chanted "this is OUR house."
> (though the game was at Mclean)
>
> McLean Fans: They chanted the name of the ex-wife
> of one of the Langley coaches ex-wife at one
> point. I asked a few people about this, but no one
> was very clear how this got started. They chanted
> "Justin Beiber" frequently, at one of the Langley
> players. They also chanted "He's a freshman," and
> "Merry Christmas" a few times.
>
> Ragone told his students, “If we take the high
> road and show what classy, nice people we can be,
> then our relationship with McLean can be rebuilt.
> But if we act defensive and make excuses for our
> behavior, then we won’t be playing McLean in
> public anymore,” Ragone said according to the
> Saxon Scope.

FCPS Student Rights and Responsibilities don't apply to Langley High students. "We're above the rules." "We can buy you."

That attitude ages so badly. How convenient for Langley that they have money for all the plastic surgery they'll need when they turn 25. But that won't change how ugly they really are inside.

Posted by: Langley ()
Date: March 07, 2011 07:36PM

We are not cool. If are parents loved us we would be in private school.

I am not proud to go to Langley. Second class school.

FCPS are not rated as the best anymore. We are so looked down on. I guess it is like going to GMU.

Posted by: on their school record? ()
Date: March 07, 2011 08:07PM

Shouldn't these incidents be more widely publicized and/or go on the students' school transcripts? Maybe that would help maintain some semblance of manners. Apparently the parents cannot control their kids, and neither can the principal.

Date: March 07, 2011 08:30PM

1969 Tinker v Des Moines Wrote:
> Is this the last time this has been challenged?
>
> I hope so since this still holds true to this day.

The part that Johnnie Cochran neglected to also cut and past from the Wikipedia article is:

The Court held that in order for school officials to justify censoring speech, they "must be able to show that [their] action was caused by something more than a mere desire to avoid the discomfort and unpleasantness that always accompany an unpopular viewpoint," allowing schools to forbid conduct that would "materially and substantially interfere with the requirements of appropriate discipline in the operation of the school."

He also conveniently ignored the "subsequent jurisprudence" section, which states:

Tinker remains a viable and frequently-cited Court precedent, though subsequent Court decisions have determined limitations on the scope of student free speech rights. In Bethel School District v. Fraser, a 1986 case, the Supreme Court held that a high school student's sexual innuendo–laden speech during a student assembly was not constitutionally protected. Fraser qualified Tinker in making an exception for "indecent" speech. Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier, where the court ruled that schools have the right to regulate, for legitimate educational reasons, the content of non-forum, school-sponsored newspapers, also limits Tinker's application. The Court in Hazelwood clarified that both Fraser and Hazelwood were decided under the doctrine of Perry Education Association v. Perry Local Educators Association. Such a distinction keeps undisturbed the Material Disruption doctrine of Tinker, while deciding certain student free speech cases under the Nonpublic Forum doctrine of Perry. In Morse v. Frederick, the Court held that schools may, consistent with the First Amendment, restrict student speech at a school-sponsored event, even those events occurring off school grounds, when that speech is reasonably viewed as promoting illegal drug use.

All of this is beside the point. Perry Mason never bothered explaining what any of this has to do with the Zero Tolerance policy, or how limited First Amendment privileges translate into students being given a second chance to bring drugs into school.

This is the kind of kid who would touch the third rail in a Metro station, then bitch about the fact that they have electricity running through it. If you choose to make a stupid decision and get caught, you pretty much waive your right to bitch about the consequences, ESPECIALLY if the consequences are clearly defined.

Date: March 07, 2011 10:32PM

What a pathetic ass-clown. The moron has never even heard of Tinker, boldly and stupidly asserts that students have no constitutional rights in school, gets his ignorance crammed down his throat, and then, fatuously, desperately, and hilariously attempts to throw up a few smoek screens. I won't have it; I shoved his stupidity right down his ugly misanthropic throat, and thats that. Now go play in the traffic, boy.

Date: March 07, 2011 10:48PM

Wow! Nice retort! I can rest easy knowing that if you ever try to plead your case to anyone NOT on the Internet, you'll do more harm than good to your own cause.

Just leave the drugs at home and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Posted by: 620 ()
Date: March 08, 2011 07:30AM

Get involved....meetings dates/times posted to discuss FCPS ZT issues

http://fairfaxzerotolerancereform.org/

Date: March 08, 2011 02:11PM

Wow! Nice retort! I can rest easy knowing that if you ever try to plead your case to anyone NOT on the Internet, you'll do more harm than good to your own cause.

Just leave the drugs at home and you'll have nothing to worry about. No go play, little fella.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: March 08, 2011 02:13PM

Mr.Mephisto Wrote:
> What a pathetic ass-clown. The moron has never
> even heard of Tinker, boldly and stupidly asserts
> that students have no constitutional rights in
> school, gets his ignorance crammed down his
> throat, and then, fatuously, desperately, and
> hilariously attempts to throw up a few smoek
> screens. I won't have it; I shoved his stupidity
> right down his ugly misanthropic throat, and thats
> that. Now go play in the traffic, boy.
Attachments:
HeMadLando.jpg

Posted by: Ralph Poootawn ()
Date: March 08, 2011 02:16PM

Ohhh, he mad!!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Date: March 08, 2011 03:44PM

Ralph Poootawn Wrote:
> Ohhh, he mad!!!! ROFLMAO!!!

u-mad17cc_1867.jpg

Date: March 08, 2011 08:29PM

He be mad and chit. ROFLMAO!

Posted by: alcy ()
Date: March 08, 2011 09:10PM

I got suspended from CHS and I'm pretty chill with that... administration was very nice to me. Would suck to be expelled but zero tolerance is really the only way to go. Maybe they could actually get the facts straight and not punish people who had zero involvement, as it seems that is the only flaw in the system.

Posted by: telluride ()
Date: March 09, 2011 11:47AM

I recall an incident that happened at Lee High School, probably 20 or more years ago.

Some kid brought a gun to school. He was showing it off in class, right before the beginning of class. Well, he went to put it back in his pants pocket and shot himself n the leg! What an idiot! It was an English class, and the teacher was this "darling" little man that became all aflutter and didn't know what to do. So another teacher hearing what sounded like a shot ran into the room and realized the situation and called down to the office and then went to administer aid to the kid who shot himself. Unfortunately, it was only a flesh wound. Anyway, in the melee that followed the gun was passed around in an attempt to hide it. One of the kids who had possession of the gun was an outstanding football player.

All the kids involved were "expelled". Meaning they were all transferred to some other high school. The outstanding football player was "expelled" to West Potomac and went on to help them win 2 state championships, he then went on to play at Wake Forest. Oh, the coach at West Pot, at the time, was Danny Mier (extensively referenced in another thread). The kid didn't have to sit out a season or anything!!!!! So, I don't think you can heap too much criticism on the zero tolerance policy. In this case it was very beneficial to one kid. See the threads on transfers and ineligibilty about Oakton, etc.

Posted by: bumbledick ()
Date: March 09, 2011 11:58AM

Zero tolerance is a great policy - they should do it the way they did at my high school (JEB Stuart). Treat every kid like a criminal.

I had an administrator (ie. failure) tell me that he had to punish everyone the same regardless of whether or not I was a good kid after he caught me going to McDonalds for lunch (sting operation). Then tried to get me to confess to going out for lunch other days... yeah, please punish me more for doing something I don't feel is wrong.

Zero tolerance pits the students against the administrators. The policy means bringing the hammer down on everyone and ignoring common sense and collateral damage.

Date: March 09, 2011 12:04PM

bumbledick Wrote:
> I had an administrator (ie. failure) tell me that
> he had to punish everyone the same regardless of
> whether or not I was a good kid after he caught me
> going to McDonalds for lunch (sting operation).
> Then tried to get me to confess to going out for
> lunch other days... yeah, please punish me more
> for doing something I don't feel is wrong.

They have to do that because if one of you little darlings gets hit by a car or kidnapped while sneaking away from school to stuff your fat stupid faces, your fat stupid bitch of a mother will sue the shit out of the school for not "protecting" you.

Don't break the rules and you won't have to worry about the zero-tolerance policy.

Posted by: OneLittleBug ()
Date: March 09, 2011 05:00PM

All of you stop and think about the stupid shit you did when you were a teenager for a second...

Yeah, me too. People on here that talk like only bad kids do bad things are just stupid. Good kids make mistakes. I was an honor grad/all-state athlete, and I did a lot of stupid stuff. I got caught and I paid the price. But the difference then was that the price to play fit the crime. You get caught smoking cigarettes in the bathroom, you get detention. You get caught with a glock in your backpack, or selling heroine in the bathroom, well.. that would warrant a much harsher sentence.

Someone commented that the zero-tolerance policy was good because it teaches kids to be ready for the real world. Not true. If you speed, you pay a fine. If you run over someone in a drunken blur, you go to jail. See? Crime = punishment. Its REASONABLE and REALISTIC.

Zero tolerance fails to acknowledge that not all infractions are the same. It is also designed to protect the school's ass, and does NOTHING to teach kids how to make decisions. As a parent, THAT is my concern. The policy is an easy out for a difficult situation, and FCPS has basically removed any expectation that they would be part of the solution. They move someone to another school so they can say they were "responsive to the issue", when in fact they just moved the shells around on the table. How stupid are we that we fall for this?

Posted by: To OneLittleBug ()
Date: March 09, 2011 05:15PM

Right on!

FCPS: Where common sense does not matter.

Posted by: MrMephisto is a pedophile ()
Date: March 09, 2011 05:19PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> bumbledick Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I had an administrator (ie. failure) tell me
> that
> > he had to punish everyone the same regardless
> of
> > whether or not I was a good kid after he caught
> me
> > going to McDonalds for lunch (sting operation).
> > Then tried to get me to confess to going out
> for
> > lunch other days... yeah, please punish me more
> > for doing something I don't feel is wrong.
>
> They have to do that because if one of you little
> darlings gets hit by a car or kidnapped while
> sneaking away from school to stuff your fat stupid
> faces, your fat stupid bitch of a mother will sue
> the shit out of the school for not "protecting"
> you.
>
> Don't break the rules and you won't have to worry
> about the zero-tolerance policy.

The argument isn't about school lunch policy, it's about the punishment doled out by the zero-tolerance policy. When you treat everyone kid the same and have a blanket 'punish everyone' attitude, no kid is going to cooperate with the administration.

The policy essentially instills a guilty until proven innocent atmosphere. Kids are suspended for being around a fight even if they're not involved. My brother was attacked in the locker room and defended himself and he got suspended... because there is a zero-tolerance policy towards fighting. You want to teach the kids about the real world, this is not the way to go about it.

So why don't you take that cock out of your ass and stick it back in your mouth where it belongs fuckbag.

Date: March 09, 2011 07:15PM

You kids are still just making excuses for getting in trouble by doing things that you know you shouldn't be doing. Keep making these excuses, and you little fuck-ups will turn into big fuck-ups.

Date: March 09, 2011 08:53PM

Who's 'you kids'? What are you, the crotchety old man that's bitter because life has passed him by? Or are you the goody two shoes who never did anything wrong when he was a kid? Oh no, wait, I got it. You're the school administrator with a false holier than thou attitude who wields what little power he has in an attempt to make himself feel better about his shitty position in life.

The world's not black and white, to treat it as such is, well, it's just as stupid as you are.

Date: March 09, 2011 09:07PM

Don't bring drugs to school, don't skip class, leave your weapons at home, and don't get into fights. Then you won't have to worry about getting expelled. What's so hard about this?

Voluntarily breaking the rules and refusing to accept the consequences is a huge indicator of immaturity. A "mistake" is forgetting to carry the one when doing basic addition; getting caught with weed in your locker when you know you shouldn't have it there is being a fuck-up. Crying about the punishment is being a whiny fuck-up.

Date: March 09, 2011 10:00PM

And wrongfully punishing a assault victim because of a blanket zero tolerance policy towards fighting?

Date: March 09, 2011 10:35PM

I'm sure there's more to the story than "he wuz just defending himself." There always is. I'd also be interested in hearing about prior disciplinary problems your "brother" had. I doubt they suspended a straight A student who's always been a good kid and role model. Considering he's your brother and you're an idiot, I'm betting there's a lot more to the story.

Even if it is a glaring mistake, one mistake isn't worth getting rid of a policy that keeps future losers and criminals away from the kids who actually want to be functioning members of society one day.

Posted by: you had them, you raise them ()
Date: March 10, 2011 07:41AM

OneLittleBug Wrote:
> All of you stop and think about the stupid shit
> you did when you were a teenager for a second...
>
> Yeah, me too. People on here that talk like only
> bad kids do bad things are just stupid. Good kids
> make mistakes. I was an honor grad/all-state
> athlete, and I did a lot of stupid stuff. I got
> caught and I paid the price. But the difference
> then was that the price to play fit the crime.
> You get caught smoking cigarettes in the bathroom,
> you get detention. You get caught with a glock in
> your backpack, or selling heroine in the bathroom,
> well.. that would warrant a much harsher sentence.
>
>
> Someone commented that the zero-tolerance policy
> was good because it teaches kids to be ready for
> the real world. Not true. If you speed, you pay
> a fine. If you run over someone in a drunken
> blur, you go to jail. See? Crime = punishment.
> Its REASONABLE and REALISTIC.
>
> Zero tolerance fails to acknowledge that not all
> infractions are the same. It is also designed to
> protect the school's ass, and does NOTHING to
> teach kids how to make decisions. As a parent,
> THAT is my concern. The policy is an easy out for
> a difficult situation, and FCPS has basically
> removed any expectation that they would be part of
> the solution. They move someone to another school
> so they can say they were "responsive to the
> issue", when in fact they just moved the shells
> around on the table. How stupid are we that we
> fall for this?

The penalties you describe when you are in school for the offenses you listed are still pretty much the same, also I teach my own kids how to make the right decisions, obviously alot of people are depending on the school to do that and then are not happy with the results when the right decision is not made....What you dont know is that alot of those expelled have alot of history before ever committing the "BIG" one and are a general pain in the ass for years causing chaos for other students who really do come to school to learn. Of course thats all private information and when parents run to the newspaper to rally support, they dont mention all the other crap and issues junior has been involved in.

Date: March 11, 2011 12:53PM

You're right, he was smoking crack with your whore mother.

Posted by: bigdog ()
Date: March 11, 2011 03:02PM

I am sorry for the families who have lost kids to suicide. All of the useless death is tragic but how many of these kids had issues before they got caught for whatever transgression. Their cry for help led them to a hearing in front of the school board and the parents were still blind to the issues.

I'm tired of the same old battle. Kids didn’t read the expectations at the beginning of school year. Parents do give a shit if their kids drink, smoke dope, tag their school or knock some chick up. The after school specials, commercials and your kid’s teachers are not get the information thru to the kids. So parents step up and take on the problem. Hey at what age are kids going to have to be responsible. Apparently for the few times that a kid is caught doing these things how many times had they or others got away with out being caught?

The policy is fine it’s the kids that are screwed up. Parents step up to the problem and deal with it you don’t like the way the school board treats your kid then make sure they never stand in the carpet in front of them.

I know I am a heatless bastard get over it and deal with your kid, and then there is no need for the school board to get involved.

Posted by: get rid of them! ()
Date: March 13, 2011 10:15PM

Posted by: beenthere ()
Date: March 14, 2011 08:34AM

Big Dog - the policy is not fine. Try reading all 60+ pages and figuring it all out. Supposedly the FCPS powers that be are "reviewing it". I bet they just add Soy Sauce to the list of prohibited products given what happened to the UVA Pedge this weekend.

Posted by: School board ()
Date: March 14, 2011 09:03AM

Am on the heAring right now we have a pack house

Date: March 14, 2011 09:32AM

get rid of them! Wrote:
> Are you not embarassed Fairfax?? Shame on us
> all.
>
> http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/news/opinion/col
> umnists/dan-k-thomasson-rigid-adherence-to-rules-p
> roves-fatal/article_38d8ebb0-40e9-11e0-a1b7-001cc4
> c002e0.html

This is such bullshit. Everything I read about this says, "he knew he made a mistake, he just didn't expect the consequences of his actions."

If some guy gets arrested for buying drugs, loses his job, and kills himself rather than face the consequences of his actions, does that mean the law should be repealed? Should we really be teaching kids, "if you break the rules and you think the punishment is unfair, the world will change to fit your needs?"

Everyone's willing to write this off as "kids make mistakes, it wasn't a big deal." If that's the case, then why isn't anyone telling these kids, "Nobody in the adult world is going to care if you once got suspended for buying half of an imitation marijuana pill?"

The school system didn't fail this kid for following its own rules and policies; everyone in this kid's life failed him. Shifting the blame to someone else because the truth is unpleasant isn't going to fix anything.

Posted by: not mephisto ()
Date: March 14, 2011 12:31PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
>
> This is such bullshit. Everything I read about
> this says, "he knew he made a mistake, he just
> didn't expect the consequences of his actions."
>
> If some guy gets arrested for buying drugs, loses
> his job, and kills himself rather than face the
> consequences of his actions, does that mean the
> law should be repealed? Should we really be
> teaching kids, "if you break the rules and you
> think the punishment is unfair, the world will
> change to fit your needs?"
>

One of three things is true here. You either work for FCPS, which is why you adamantly stand by the flawed policy. Or, you are a troll who likes to argue on FFXU. Or, you're so stupid that you actually believe your stance in this argument.

I'm wrong. Actually, all three could be true.

Date: March 14, 2011 12:43PM

not mephisto Wrote:
> One of three things is true here. You either work
> for FCPS, which is why you adamantly stand by the
> flawed policy. Or, you are a troll who likes to
> argue on FFXU. Or, you're so stupid that you
> actually believe your stance in this argument.
>
> I'm wrong. Actually, all three could be true.

You think what you want. Here's some things that are actually true, though:

1. The only people arguing that the policy is flawed are the people who are fuck-ups or friends/family of fuck-ups. I don't see anyone on here saying, "My kid follows the school rules and has never gotten in trouble for using or buying drugs at school, but it's totally unfair how your drug-using kid was treated."

2. Nobody arguing that the policy is flawed is able to explain exactly how the policy is flawed. All they're saying is, "The policy is flawed, it's unfair, and anyone who disagrees is an idiot who works for FCPS."

3. Nobody disagrees with me is responding to anything I write in a manner that could possibly be mistaken as "intelligent" or "mature." I have made my position on the matter perfectly clear, and have used sources and statements to reinforce my opinions. The most I get in response is, "Yeah, well, you're a stupid homosexual."

4. Nobody has been able to explain how, if the policies and rules are so complicated and difficult to follow, 98% of kids attending school in this district manage to avoid getting expelled.

Re: Zero-Tolerance Policy in Fairfax County Public SchoolsX
Posted by: Just came back ()
Date: March 14, 2011 12:45PM

Mr.miller from. Robsinson high school gave good remarks about changing the rules.

Posted by: for sure ()
Date: March 14, 2011 12:55PM

Well said

Posted by: meeting highlights ()
Date: March 14, 2011 01:27PM

Yea, the real estate crook who caused his staff to lose millions did a fabulous job of preaching about how he passes judgement on teenagers!

Pages: 1234AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.