HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Driver's License Suspension
Posted by: Craig ()
Date: January 20, 2007 02:09AM

To make long story short I got my drivers license taken away by the traffic court here in Fairfax for 6 months today. I am a school teacher. I had it taken away for passing through a red light. I clearly saw it as green just turning yellow. I had a few points due to minor tickets over a course of the last couple of years. I really need to get back and forth from work. I understand that I can request for a restricted license and I may do that. My friend however, suggested me to get an out of state license. Can I realistically get a license from Maryland,DC(nearby state) and drive legitimatially? Any other suggestions please welcome

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Driver's License Suspension
Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: January 20, 2007 03:07AM

They took away your license for a reason, that reason being you don't deserve one. Get the restricted license and be happy.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: January 20, 2007 03:10AM

No, MD will know if you are suspended in VA.

Also, in court was the time to request the restricted license. Now it's going to be even more of a pain in the ass to get it.

Clearly you weren't in court with a lawyer. I'm also not sure how ANY red light violation can turn into a suspended license. if it was the points that got you, then the court did not suspend it, the DMV did.

Posted by: Mark Emory ()
Date: January 20, 2007 06:44AM

Be very careful. Fairfax does not fuck around when it comes to suspended licenses.

Did you plead guilty in your case? If not, appeal! Immediately! Appeals are your friend! At the very least you will have your license a bit longer until the appeals court takes up your case.

With that said, if an appeal is not an option:

Good luck getting a license in another state without proving residence first and even if you manage to do that your license is still suspended in Virginia so if you are caught driving on it in Virginia you can (will) be charged.

Suspended licenses are a cops' wet dream in Fairfax. Do NOT drive on a suspended license. You may see driving to the grocery store for some milk as a a simple victimless crime but the cops/judges will see a class 1 misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail!

If you have a good excuse and weren't commiting any other 'pointable' offenses the at the time the judges in Fairfax will usually let your first driving on suspended slide, reducing your charge to something like you left your license at home (NO OL IN POSSESSION). However after that first warning they will be very serious dishing out 5-10 days for the first real offense and 15-30 for any subsequent offenses.

You will need to apply for a restricted license immediately. Please do not come to court unprepared. Have a printed copy of your work schedule available and be sure to tell the judge about anything else you HAVE to drive to (pick up kids from school, medical appointments, etc.) You will get a green piece of paper that you must keep on your person at all times while operating a vehicle. Eventually you will have to visit the DMV to apply for a special license with an "R" on it (which is still not valid without the green piece of paper).

Make sure the tags/inspection on any car you are still planning to drive is valid, it would be a shame to get a serious charge for something so ridiculous.

Date: January 20, 2007 07:02AM

Fairfax does actually occasionally fuck around with suspended licenses. If it was suspended by the DMV and you are eligible for reinstatement, and just forgot, they'll dismiss that most of the time if you actually do go get it reinstated.

but if you are ignoring a court ordered suspension, it's vaseline time as the man says.

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: January 20, 2007 09:31AM

>
> If you have a good excuse and weren't commiting
> any other 'pointable' offenses the at the time the
> judges in Fairfax will usually let your first
> driving on suspended slide,

This doesn't mean that you just had to get your dry cleaning, or were running late for work and couldn't take the bus. They want something life threatning. If your not taking someone to the hospital with a gaping wound, don't drive.

And like the man said. They can't take your license for running a red light. You were charged with Reckless driving. Unless of course the DMV took your license because YOU CAN'T DRIVE.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: January 20, 2007 11:01AM

Do not try to get a DL form another state even if you can use your brothers, parents, cousins etc address.

In all States one of the first couple of questions on the form will be "has your driving privilages been suspended or revoked in any other state or the District of Columbia?"
You could get in serious trouble for fibbing on that sheet.

Interesting side note: When I filled out the application for a Florida DL, the top of the form said something like "misrepresenting or providing false information will land you in jail for five years, plus we will beat your ass" or something like that.

When I filled out the form, one question read "State or Country of birth" I thought about it, and put down "United States".

When the clerk questioned me about it, she insisted that I tell her what State I was born in. I replied that I was born in the District of Columbia and it is NOT a State.

She got really angry, but I did not want provide false information.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: January 20, 2007 12:09PM

dont you need residancy to get a license from a state DMV? Just asking.

Oh and why not if you are desperate enough go to any college campus and or Georgetown and get yourself a really good fake ID?

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: January 20, 2007 12:20PM

The interstate compact on D/L's will make it virually impossible to get one from another state.

The compact was between most states, maybe all of them by now. In today's age of computers, I would venture to say it will catch up to you AS YOU APPLY, vs. the old paper age, where it might take a few weeks...

Get a lawyer and petition for a restricted license.

Driving on a suspended license can net you a longer suspension, maybe even some jail time for violating a Judge's order.

Take it from me, go about this within the bounds of the law, I have seen what can happen if you do not.

Posted by: mufman ()
Date: January 20, 2007 12:36PM

Even if you were to get a license in another state, you still would not have the privilidge (sp) to drive in VA. This happened to me. I got a ticket before I turned 20, by about a month (ticked in August) right after they passed the law that said you had to go to traffic court after your first ticket if you are under 20 (though i found out about this law after the fact). I moved to Utah that fall and got a Utah driver's license. 3 years after, I came back to VA and was driving around. I got pulled over and was told my license was suspended. The cop was cool about it, and although he didn't write me the ticket, he made me call someone to pick me up and my car. In VA, once it is suspended, it is stays that way for the duration, even if you can drive in another state. On the other hand, if you get your license suspended in a state outside of your home state, you won't necessarily have your license suspended in any state other than the one that suspended it.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: January 20, 2007 12:38PM

Craig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...I had a few points due to minor tickets over a course of
> the last couple of years....

How many is a few? You can get 12 points in one year or 18 in 2 years before you even have to take a driver improvement course. Running a light is 4 points. Of course, a judge can suspend a license for virtually anything if he/she sees fit,

Why did you even go to court? As we all know, the chances of beating a traffic rap is slim and none. You either had more than a "few" points or you majorly pissed that judge off.

Forget the out of state license...that judge suspended your PRIVELEGE TO DRIVE IN VIRGINA....you could have a license from all the other 49 states and DC and it would STILL be illegal for you to drive in Virginia.

Posted by: Leon ()
Date: January 25, 2007 01:40PM

K, so someone mentiones fake ids, how real are they really and where to get one?
I think what you can do is get a close friends social security and birth certificate (with him/her knowint it, duh) and go to the dmv and get one with your pic on it and dont drive like an asshole and in case you get pulled over because of some bs you would be ok, do they have your pic at dmv on file?

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: January 25, 2007 03:17PM

Or you could buy a scooter Cuz you dont need no stinkin ID to drive a scooter. Good luck on major highways though.

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: January 25, 2007 05:09PM

Leon Wrote:
> K, so someone mentiones fake ids, how real are
> they really and where to get one?
> I think what you can do is get a close friends
> social security and birth certificate (with
> him/her knowint it, duh) and go to the dmv and get
> one with your pic on it and dont drive like an
> asshole and in case you get pulled over because of
> some bs you would be ok, do they have your pic at
> dmv on file?

Lets see, you go out and get your drivers license suspended because you SUCK at driving or you think the speed limit is a suggestion that you don't have to take seriously. Now you want to get a drivers license using a friends name and drivers license number. You must have some stupid fucking friends.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: January 25, 2007 08:17PM

Yes, your friend's photo is on file at DMV.

Even if it wasn't, doing what you suggest would invalidate your friend's license. Va licenses are tracked by their issue date....previously issued licenses are invalid.

Just do your time, grow up, and start driving responsibly.

Date: January 25, 2007 08:24PM

Your friend, however, would not know their license is no good until they get pulled over, or the thing's printed expriation date arrives.

So if you pick a friend who drives like a gramma, you may get away with it for years.

Posted by: Henry ()
Date: January 29, 2013 08:00PM

Ok here is the deal. My license is suspended in md. I had a valid florida Dl when I moved to md and turned it in. If I go to fl, get my license back, will I be able to drive for a while in md?

Posted by: u idiot ()
Date: January 29, 2013 08:18PM

the answer is no. if you are suspended in md, doesnt matter where you have a license from. if they suspend you, you can not drive in md at all. just deal with your supension, and when you get your license back, stop driving like an asshole.

Posted by: Johnny Galt ()
Date: January 29, 2013 08:23PM

Maybe when this thread previously ended in 2007, you woulda had a shot, but here in 2013 most government agencies have these new-fangled whizz bang who-zit-what-zits called KOM-PEW-TERZ.

This allows for information to travel through tubes from one building to another and people can read what's up.

Posted by: beavis ()
Date: January 29, 2013 10:59PM

Nobody as stupid as this would really be allowed to teach, would they? this had to have been a prank.

Posted by: Jay Cat ()
Date: July 06, 2015 01:32PM

Simply Stay out of the State of Virginia at all cost. Virginia is a cash cow for making money of the smallest things. I got my traffic tickets in the state of Virginia and only in the state of Virginia. Im not from the state, I lived in VA for 3years and I am glad to be away from Northern VA. DC and Maryland is alot better!!!!

Posted by: Specialsnowflake ()
Date: July 06, 2015 02:03PM

Oh boo hoo you are a teacher. Aren't you supposed to be setting a good example. You know not driving like a nut and then telling yourself delusional lies about how innocent you are. Let me guess you are one of those special snowflakes who also overcompensates with an SUV? See this is why I'm scared to sent my kids to public school-too many idiotic teachers.

Bus, bike, walk, uber, taxi. Find another way, special snowflake.

Posted by: ndm ()
Date: July 06, 2015 03:20PM

Jay Cat Wrote:
> Simply Stay out of the State of Virginia at all
> cost. Virginia is a cash cow for making money of
> the smallest things. I got my traffic tickets in
> the state of Virginia and only in the state of
> Virginia. Im not from the state, I lived in VA for
> 3years and I am glad to be away from Northern VA.
> DC and Maryland is alot better!!!!

I wish your fellow Marylanders would follow your advice. Maryland is far. far more hospitable to non-driving motherfuckers.

ANYTHING goes over there!

PS: A couple months ago, I saw a Maryland car with a turn signal on! He must have hit it accidentally with his knee or something...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.