HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Make your life easier. Why give the mortgage company so much of your pay check over so many years?
Posted by: The compound interest trap ()
Date: September 01, 2018 07:07PM

Pay it off early. It's one of the best things you'll ever do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Make your life easier. Why give the mortgage company so much of your pay check over so many years?
Posted by: Someone doesn't understand... ()
Date: September 01, 2018 07:40PM

...present value of money.

I bought a house in 1986. If I'd put $10K less down on that house and put it into Microsoft stock instead, I would have retired years ago.

Even beyond that, inflation eats away at principal like nothing else.

It's not as simple an equation as you make it sound.

Re: Make your life easier. Why give the mortgage company so much of your pay check over so many years?
Posted by: Opportunity cost is lost....... ()
Date: September 01, 2018 08:11PM

Did it ever occur to you that all the money you have tied up in a paid off house could be earning on average 10% a year? Mortgage money is cheap 3-5%, and interest is tax-deductible (at least it used to be). Your math does not add up.

You don't ever want to pay off your house. Does not make sense. While you are smiling at no mortgage payment the mortgage company is making a fortune off of your money.

Posted by: Chapter 1... ()
Date: September 01, 2018 09:08PM

Dave Ramsey = Not good.

Posted by: Carmelized Onion ()
Date: September 01, 2018 09:26PM

Op is a buttfucker.

If you have REVOLVING DEBT higher than your mortgage rate, your monkey ass needs to pay off that shit first.

Then, pay off your car loan IRREGARDLESS of it being a “0% loan.” You get killed on depreciation.

Next, take what you were paying on your credit cards and cut that amount towards your mortgage.
Take what you were normally paying for your car note and pay towards your mortgage.
*you can also switch your car insurance to just liability. Apply the monthly cost savings vs comprehensive insurance towards your mortgage.

That biweekly shit is bs if you are carrying revolving debt AND a car note!

Posted by: Aisha ()
Date: September 01, 2018 09:33PM

I did the same thing. If I bought B.E.T. in 1990 instead of buying a car I would be a rich diva today for real.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 01, 2018 09:52PM

Always consider the opportunity costs.

Posted by: easy money vs smart money ()
Date: September 01, 2018 10:22PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Always consider the opportunity costs.

Not that I'd disagree with that in general but there's another side to that equation. I have friends who have been playing the keep rolling it 'opportunity cost' game with their mortgage and now are waking up suddenly 65 and looking at having a mortgage or rent payment that's going to eat a big chunk of their retirement income until they die. But they had fun spending the money along the way.

Posted by: Depends on the situation ()
Date: September 02, 2018 12:55AM

It all really depends on your mortgage rate and how much of your interest payment is deductible. If you have a sub 5% rate (and I know folks who have under 4%), it usually makes sense to pay off other higher interest rate debts and if you don't have those, invest the money elsewhere. It isn't hard to beat 5%; The S&P 500 average annual return is about 10%.

The home interest deduction itself isn't what it used to be, primarily because of the much higher standard deduction and the cap on SALT at $10,000. If you max out your SALT deduction and no others are in play, the first $14k of your annual mortgage interest isn't deductible, at least when assessed against the married standard deduction. This doesn't financially screw existing home owners too much, it just means many of them are captured by a still fairly generous standard deduction. That said, the tax law change does mean the home interest deduction doesn't lower the effective interest rate of a loan by as much as it used to.

My take; during rocky financial times, if you have money and want a decent predictable return, paying down the mortgage can be an OK thing to do. But to miss out on a 20%+ stock market year like 2017 because you throw that money to help pay off a 5% mortgage. Insanity.

Posted by: OP is a dave ramsey retard ()
Date: September 02, 2018 05:46AM

My effective mortgage rate after deductions is about 3%, my investments have returned an average of 12% over the last 30 years. Ummm yea I'll keep the mortgage.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 02, 2018 06:22AM

easy money vs smart money Wrote:
> Bill.N. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Always consider the opportunity costs.
>
>
> Not that I'd disagree with that in general but
> there's another side to that equation. I have
> friends who have been playing the keep rolling it
> 'opportunity cost' game with their mortgage and
> now are waking up suddenly 65 and looking at
> having a mortgage or rent payment that's going to
> eat a big chunk of their retirement income until
> they die. But they had fun spending the money
> along the way.

Technically fun would be an opportunity cost. However I was thinking in terms of more financially responsible alternatives such as using the money to pay down higher interest rate debt, using it to max out the matching options in retirement, using it to make certain you had enough safety cash or using it for investments. There are large numbers of people today with mortgages under 4%. It is not that hard to get at least that kind of return by investing the money. Then there are also tax implications to consider.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: September 02, 2018 09:28AM

I am paying my 4.125% mortgage BI-WEEKLY. By making that extra full payment each year, I am shaving about $60K off of my 30-year loan.

Posted by: The big boy way... ()
Date: September 02, 2018 09:37AM

easy money vs smart money Wrote:
> I have friends who have been playing the keep rolling
> it 'opportunity cost' game with their mortgage and
> now are waking up suddenly 65 and looking at having
> a mortgage or rent payment that's going to eat a big
> chunk of their retirement income until they die.
> But they had fun spending the money along the way.

Things could be changing, but we have just been through a 30-year period of declining mortgage interest rates. Doing a series of refi's in such an environment is a matter of accepting free money when it's being offered to you. It's pretty much just fools that pass that sort of thing by at any age.

If you can only afford to live in the sticks with no mortgage on whatever retirement income you will have, the problem is that you screwed up and never managed to bake in enough retirement income.

Posted by: Bank One Two Three ()
Date: September 02, 2018 10:34AM

The compound interest trap Wrote:
> Pay it off early. It's one of the best things you'll ever do.

More likely one of the stupidest. For most people, a mortgage is the cheapest debt they have. You would rather pay off all the other stuff first. And keep in mind that $1000 thirty years from now is the same as just over $300 today if interest rates are 4%.

Posted by: four five ()
Date: September 02, 2018 03:55PM

Having any debt other than your home is stupid. Live within your means. Pay credit cards in full every month and save up the money to buy your vehicles with cash.

Posted by: That's what they said ()
Date: September 02, 2018 04:28PM

The big boy way... Wrote:
> easy money vs smart money Wrote:
> -----
> > I have friends who have been playing the keep
> rolling
> > it 'opportunity cost' game with their mortgage
> and
> > now are waking up suddenly 65 and looking at
> having
> > a mortgage or rent payment that's going to eat a
> big
> > chunk of their retirement income until they die.
>
> > But they had fun spending the money along the
> way.
>
> Things could be changing, but we have just been
> through a 30-year period of declining mortgage
> interest rates. Doing a series of refi's in such
> an environment is a matter of accepting free money
> when it's being offered to you. It's pretty much
> just fools that pass that sort of thing by at any
> age.
>
> If you can only afford to live in the sticks with
> no mortgage on whatever retirement income you will
> have, the problem is that you screwed up and never
> managed to bake in enough retirement income.

As they were sucking most all of their equity out over the years. Now they have a +$2,000/month housing cost in perpetuity unless they move to the sticks. Likely at a net real dollar loss once you count commission on the sale not even considering money put into it for maintenance and improvements. Once you're at a low rate further declines don't buy you much.

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: September 03, 2018 03:38AM

Every situation is different. Interest rates on mortgages in 1988 were 10 percent on a 30 year loan and then played the refinancing game every couple of years as interest rates decreased which ate up additional principle. At those rates I would have wanted to shed myself of that type of debt. Now, interest rates are comparatively low and having a mortgage is not as much of a burden. Another thought. It is much easier planning for retirement when you do not plan to carry a mortgage into your retirement years.

The key is to have a plan and execute it. There are numerous ways of doing it. Invest excess funds when stocks are inexpensive and during times such as now when their cost is excessive "invest" that money into buying down the principle on your mortgage. It still pushes you down the amortization schedule where more of your mortgage payment is used to pay down the principle.

Posted by: 60k here, 200k there ()
Date: September 03, 2018 06:13AM

LetsRock Wrote:
> I am paying my 4.125% mortgage BI-WEEKLY. By
> making that extra full payment each year, I am
> shaving about $60K off of my 30-year loan.

While that's not a bad move, you would still be better off investing that second payment into an index fund or balanced fund.

Posted by: timing the market = fools game ()
Date: September 03, 2018 06:14AM

Inquisitive One Wrote:

> The key is to have a plan and execute it. There
> are numerous ways of doing it. Invest excess funds
> when stocks are inexpensive and during times such
> as now when their cost is excessive "invest" that
> money into buying down the principle on your
> mortgage. It still pushes you down the
> amortization schedule where more of your mortgage
> payment is used to pay down the principle.

I've been hearing stock are expensive since 2013. You could have invested the day before every market crash and still come way ahead of any current mortgage rate.

Date: September 03, 2018 08:04AM

60k here, 200k there Wrote:
> LetsRock Wrote:
> -----
> > I am paying my 4.125% mortgage BI-WEEKLY. By
> > making that extra full payment each year, I am
> > shaving about $60K off of my 30-year loan.
>
>
> While that's not a bad move, you would still be
> better off investing that second payment into an
> index fund or balanced fund.

I already have $62K in Vanguard index funds.

Posted by: Makes no sense ()
Date: September 03, 2018 08:34AM

LetsRock Wrote:
> I already have $62K in Vanguard index funds.

You will need more than a million of today's dollars in order to afford a comfy retirement and even that would be just $50K per year for 20 years.

Accelerating payments on a low-interest mortgage is taking the slow boat to China. You could be putting the funds to any one of many much better purposes.

Date: September 03, 2018 02:37PM

Makes no sense Wrote:
> LetsRock Wrote:
> -----
> > I already have $62K in Vanguard index funds.
>
> You will need more than a million of today's
> dollars in order to afford a comfy retirement and
> even that would be just $50K per year for 20
> years.
>
> Accelerating payments on a low-interest mortgage
> is taking the slow boat to China. You could be
> putting the funds to any one of many much better
> purposes.

True. That is just one account since you mentioned "index funds". I got a small pension coming from EDS and my 401K with my current employer.

Posted by: Keep at it ()
Date: September 03, 2018 02:43PM

...and remember not to short yourself. There may come a time when things are overtaken by events for a while, so stay as far out front as you can.

Posted by: uppity white ()
Date: September 03, 2018 04:25PM

Just use the money from your trust fund to buy a modest house in a nice neighborhood and pay cash, duh!

Posted by: makes no sense ()
Date: September 03, 2018 05:41PM

LetsRock Wrote:
> Makes no sense Wrote:
> -----
> > LetsRock Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I already have $62K in Vanguard index funds.
> >
> > You will need more than a million of today's
> > dollars in order to afford a comfy retirement
> and
> > even that would be just $50K per year for 20
> > years.
> >
> > Accelerating payments on a low-interest
> mortgage
> > is taking the slow boat to China. You could be
> > putting the funds to any one of many much
> better
> > purposes.
>
>
> True. That is just one account since you
> mentioned "index funds". I got a small pension
> coming from EDS and my 401K with my current
> employer.

My Vanguard account has a special little flag on it and yet I still keep my mortgage.

Posted by: StroggCore ()
Date: December 11, 2019 12:31PM

For me mortgage is a crime and all of the bankers are criminals protected by the law. Why? Because they have almost taken away my house. It was a really bad experience. I've started to save money using advices from arrestyourdebt.com. Maybe you should try it too? It helps a lot. I think, it will be hard for you for the first time, but after you'll pay your debts off, it will be much easier to live. This feeling of freedom... Oh, I can't tell you how perfect it is! I think, I will never take a loan again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2019 02:24PM by StroggCore.

Posted by: Uncle Sam ()
Date: December 11, 2019 10:51PM

Hey bitches!

I will allow you to deduct the mortgage interest you paid from the taxes you owe me.

Would anyone care to refinance at a HIGHER interest rate?

Posted by: Buumet ()
Date: January 18, 2020 11:23AM

Hi there! If you often have financial problems you can solve them by using online loan services. It is quite easy nowadays. For example check http://payday-loans-cash-advance.net/PA/ it helped me many times!

Posted by: Patrick Henry ()
Date: January 18, 2020 12:44PM

It's not my mortgage payment that is killing me. It's the Fairfax BoS raising RE taxes every year.

Posted by: county employee 67 ()
Date: January 18, 2020 01:15PM

Patrick Henry Wrote:
> It's not my mortgage payment that is killing me.
> It's the Fairfax BoS raising RE taxes every year.

If you don't like it move elsewhere.

Posted by: detelina ()
Date: January 24, 2020 03:30PM

Loans are a tricky topic for many families. Making loans people do not delve into all the complexities of the contract and hidden payments. As a result, we receive large sums for loan payments

Posted by: dave j ()
Date: April 25, 2020 10:44AM

I rent my basement to a family of illegals. They make my mortgage payment and half the utilities. The Mom is a hot Latina milf and she does little favors for me if the rent is a couple days late.

Posted by: Senior Citizen Here ()
Date: April 25, 2020 10:54AM

A happy retirement is based on nothing more complicated than free cash flow. Taking a mortgage or any form of consumer debt into retirement is about the biggest mistake anyone can make. Do you really think all these banks, credit unions and payday lenders on every corner exist only because they have your best interest at heart?

Posted by: JordanAvery ()
Date: November 28, 2020 05:35PM

Well, if we only had the money, we would pay it earlier don't you think? I didn't completely understand this scheme, but I will ask my Mortgage Broker Cambridge, for a piece of advice and check if this works. Who wouldn't want to save $1000, I want for sure. I've never heard about this though, so I'm kinda skeptical, but I'll do my research and find more about it. I have a friend that pays his mortgage weekly, and he says he saves a lot of money. Don't know much about that too, but this thread made me interested, so I will see what I can do to reduce the amount of money I pay to the bank.

Posted by: gated driveway ()
Date: November 29, 2020 10:47AM

It must be horrible being so poor that you have to borrow money to acquire a basic need item such as a home.

Posted by: PB3VM ()
Date: November 30, 2020 10:37AM

Posted by: XUFUT ()
Date: November 30, 2020 09:51PM

Posted by: CNKVY ()
Date: December 05, 2020 08:22AM

Posted by: TC66K ()
Date: December 05, 2020 09:33PM

Posted by: 3PUJB ()
Date: December 06, 2020 02:24PM

Posted by: JEVJB ()
Date: December 06, 2020 06:03PM

Posted by: Liquidat1on ()
Date: December 07, 2020 07:33AM

That's how any business works. The product should pay for costs and services and bring profit to any company. right? That is why companies engaged in loans or banks that issue loans have interest rates that grow every month and year. When we also needed a loan, we immediately turned to Mortgage Broker Leicester to find out more information from an experienced professional. This solution turned out to be quite useful because we solved all the issues with documents and loans in a short time, very convenient and high-quality

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2020 05:06AM by Liquidat1on.

Posted by: Uncle Ralph ()
Date: December 07, 2020 09:51AM

Free cash flow is the key to life. Why be someone else's annuity? If you're still making mortgage payments after age fifty and after years of steady employment, you got it all wrong.

Posted by: bessiebeardsley ()
Date: December 10, 2020 10:23AM

It's clear that if you pay off early you got only advantages. But if to speak in the general mortgage is a big headache. There a lot of questions if no answers. You have to be really a financial specialist to overcome all the mortgage problems. I am not very good at financing, so that's why I used the services of these guys Mortgage Broker Grimsby. They found all the solutions to all the problems. Very great work and advice. They had all the answers to my questions. So pay attention to this subject, if you are not good at it better hire a specialist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2020 09:20AM by bessiebeardsley.

Posted by: Poor people thinking ()
Date: December 10, 2020 10:51AM

Uncle Ralph Wrote:
> Free cash flow is the key to life. Why be someone
> else's annuity? If you're still making mortgage
> payments after age fifty and after years of steady
> employment, you got it all wrong.

Poor people invest for cash flow, rich people invest for total returns. I hate dividends, poor people love them.

Posted by: DanielLee5 ()
Date: August 01, 2021 01:47AM

I never took a loan in my life, thanks for the interesting info. I have to say that there is a real abundance of online loan companies, but I am rather skeptical about the most of them. I am thinking over using services of direct lenders, just need to find out all the details via loancare phone number .

Posted by: Vdgf ()
Date: August 01, 2021 11:47AM

Poor people thinking Wrote:
> Uncle Ralph Wrote:
> -----
> > Free cash flow is the key to life. Why be
> someone
> > else's annuity? If you're still making mortgage
> > payments after age fifty and after years of
> steady
> > employment, you got it all wrong.
>
>
> Poor people invest for cash flow, rich people
> invest for total returns. I hate dividends, poor
> people love them.

Spoken like a true poor person.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.