HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Travel sports
Posted by: Didjd ()
Date: August 01, 2018 10:22AM

Travel sports seem like a waste of time and money. I have a very athletic boy and girl and all coaches want them to play travel this and that. I’m rich so not looking for scholarship. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel sports
Posted by: Ton of bullshit ()
Date: August 01, 2018 10:30AM

Ton of money esp if the team is “ranked,” on soccer dot something.
My daughter received a scholarship to play div 1 at tech.
She has played travel soccer since 9yrs old.
When the league is high caliber, expect to travel HOURS every weekend to fields throughout the area.
I live off 123 and Henderson and would go to games off exit 126(Fredericksburg) and then prince Frederick MD the next weekend!
If your kid shows potential, full ride scholarships are easily obtained.
Looking back, I could’ve bought an empty lot for the same amount of money I’ve invested and even if my daughter makes >$150k outta college, the lot would be a better investment.

Posted by: Practical Parent ()
Date: August 01, 2018 10:39AM

I agree. Some of the talk about scholarship prospects that goes on with parents in many sports is DELUSIONAL.

I have a 10 year old boy who plays baseball and lacrosse. We have had pressure to sign up for travel lacrosse since he was 8. It’s ridiculous. We already do a once a week fall clinic, the spring season, and a summer camp or two. My kid is a healthy athletic little guy, but unlikely to be a star on a high school team, much less get a scholarship. There is no money for men’s lacrosse... seriously. Maybe there are opportunities to get into a small div 3 school with a Tony bit of aid that a kid otherwise wouldn’t have... but full scholarships?!? Very very very few. So why are we hustling our tiny kids trying to pursue this?!? The summer travel team costs upwards of $800, plus the hotel costs. And it would split our family up multiple weekends. We actually like spending time together as a family... So we don’t do it.

If they offered a travel program that was LOCAL - all tournaments within 90 minutes, and no overnights, we MIGHT do it.

As for baseball travel, we don’t do it. All the kids who do are single sport athletes who have been doing baseball only year round since they were 7. The regular little league crunch in the fall already disrupts family dinners two nights a week and owns our Saturdays... we are not doing extra. The travel program other kids do involve baseball on Sunday as well. Uggh.

I also think once these kids got middle school, some of this stuff will have to scale back, if they are putting adequate time into homework. Personally, we don’t care if our kid is just playing in the local league is less competitive or whatever... it’s anout him having fun and doing something healthy. We’re saving all the stupid money we would be spending on travel teams and private coaching in a 529 college savings plan for him... it’s already way higher in $$$ than any athletic scholarship he ever might have qualified for.

Posted by: Practical Parent ()
Date: August 01, 2018 10:49AM

Ton of bullshit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ton of money esp if the team is “ranked,” on
> soccer dot something.
> My daughter received a scholarship to play div 1
> at tech.
> She has played travel soccer since 9yrs old.
> When the league is high caliber, expect to travel
> HOURS every weekend to fields throughout the
> area.
> I live off 123 and Henderson and would go to games
> off exit 126(Fredericksburg) and then prince
> Frederick MD the next weekend!
> If your kid shows potential, full ride
> scholarships are easily obtained.
> Looking back, I could’ve bought an empty lot for
> the same amount of money I’ve invested and even
> if my daughter makes >$150k outta college, the lot
> would be a better investment.

Good for you supporting your daughter, because it clearly took a ton of time and effort and money, and congrats on her scholarship. A few questions...

Did multiple kids on the girls soccer team get Div 1 money, or was your daughter a standout?

How is she doing in college, juggling participating as a college athlete with academic demands? I’m not inquiring about grades... just curious if she’s happy and doing well, or stressed out. Doing both a college sport and college level academics is TOUGH.

I just think a lot of parent friends of mine right now who chat about setting their kids up to pursue scholarships aren’t thinking it all the way through, and aren’t realistic about their kids. And it’s really sad to see stressed out ten year olds because the parents are already pressuring them. Let the kids be kids, and have some fun with sports!

Posted by: Djsid ()
Date: August 01, 2018 11:45AM

Here’s what success looks like- your kid will get a scholarship at some school he/she has no interest in, probably some d2 or d3 school no ones ever heard of. they will get a degree in education or kinesiology and become gym teachers or physical therapists with salaries maxing out at $80k. If they’re lucky, they’ll get a job in sales that pays a little more. Their college experience will seem like a job rather than an exciting experience exploring life’s options and how to become a contributing member of society.

After college they will stop playing their sport forever, except for the occasional company picnic where they can demonstrate some self- worth. They will have very few outside interests and unsatisfied with their life choices (since they weren’t really their choices to begin with). Depression and suicide are not uncommon.

I know because this is what happened to me and my peers. Good luck with your decision.

Posted by: sdfgdfg ()
Date: August 01, 2018 05:55PM

Not worth it- like one poster said, it's the wasted time more than it is the wasted money.

Posted by: Futbol.Franco ()
Date: August 01, 2018 06:05PM

You need to watch the "60 Minutes" piece on Christian Pulesic. He had one game and one practice per week with his house team until he was 16 years old. Kids need a childhood full of a variety of experiences not just spending all their free time on just one pursuit.

Oh yeah...Pulesic plays for Dortmund and is considered the best American footballer now.

Posted by: Andrew Arst ()
Date: August 24, 2018 04:38AM

If you have a lot of time and money, why not to waste it? Or I am not right?

Posted by: Jeorge Waters ()
Date: August 24, 2018 08:06AM

If you are rich enough then take a shot at predicting victory. Go here https://1xbit.com/en/ , choose a sport you like, choose a relevant match and a team you suppose is gonna win it. And cash is yours.

Posted by: depends on the sport ()
Date: August 24, 2018 08:14AM

Didjd Wrote:
> Travel sports seem like a waste of time and money.
> I have a very athletic boy and girl and all
> coaches want them to play travel this and that.
> I’m rich so not looking for scholarship. Any
> thoughts?

Although I tend to agree that in general travel sports are a waste of money it largely depends on the sport itself and whether your talking about your son or your daughter.

If your a baseball family with a son and a daughter looking at house play only you may want to have both play baseball and think long term about moving your daughter to travel softball at about the age where baseball moves to 90 ft base paths. You don't want her to spend a second in house softball because the game they play is the worst of the worst and bears no resemblance to the way the game is supposed to be played.

Once you have your daughter in travel softball the trick is to not get suckered into joining an expensive, travel all around the country team in search of a college full ride. College softball, like a lot of female non-revenue sports offer very few full rides and most are paying full freight but may get some help with admissions if that's an issue.

Posted by: Scholarship dad ()
Date: August 24, 2018 08:36AM

Djsid Wrote:
> Here’s what success looks like- your kid will
> get a scholarship at some school he/she has no
> interest in, probably some d2 or d3 school no ones
> ever heard of. they will get a degree in education
> or kinesiology and become gym teachers or physical
> therapists with salaries maxing out at $80k. If
> they’re lucky, they’ll get a job in sales
> that pays a little more. Their college experience
> will seem like a job rather than an exciting
> experience exploring life’s options and how to
> become a contributing member of society.
>
> After college they will stop playing their sport
> forever, except for the occasional company picnic
> where they can demonstrate some self- worth. They
> will have very few outside interests and
> unsatisfied with their life choices (since they
> weren’t really their choices to begin with).
> Depression and suicide are not uncommon.
>
> I know because this is what happened to me and my
> peers. Good luck with your decision.

Better to go thru ur exact scenario than to have $200k in student debt with philosophy degrees!

I make over $150k and my wife makes $80k and we could sure use $15k-$30k a year in savings!

Student loan debt will cripple your kids.

Posted by: Answers. ()
Date: August 24, 2018 08:40AM

> Did multiple kids on the girls soccer team get Div
> 1 money, or was your daughter a standout?
Maybe 4 other girls on the team got Div 1 offers.

> How is she doing in college, juggling
> participating as a college athlete with academic
> demands? Very happy.
She plays div 1 in North Carolina.
Like minded ambitious team members that I know will be lifelong friends.

> I just think a lot of parent friends of mine right
> now who chat about setting their kids up to pursue
> scholarships aren’t thinking it all the way
> through, and aren’t realistic about their kids.
> And it’s really sad to see stressed out ten year
> olds because the parents are already pressuring
> them. Let the kids be kids, and have some fun with
> sports!

Lastly, division 1 top5 is way different than the complement div 1 schools with respect to practice, eyc

Posted by: Depends ()
Date: August 24, 2018 10:58AM

Didjd Wrote:
> Travel sports seem like a waste of time and money.
> I have a very athletic boy and girl and all
> coaches want them to play travel this and that.
> I’m rich so not looking for scholarship. Any
> thoughts?

Depends. Some travel teams have a higher degree of focus and seriousness to the game, so if your child is into a particular sport, it can be a good experience, depending. That said, many parents in travel sports are downright crazy and astonishingly unethical, willing to cut the throat of an eleven year old to get on the A Team (when, in fact, the top team is usually rigged by parent-coaches as an insiders game with talent hardly a consideration or not at all.) My kid had fun in travel soccer, but learned very young, as did friends, that many Travel Team people are shallow and untrustworthy. My kid was far more mature than most parents. We moved from a "bad" club to a good club -- just be mindful of the red flags when you see them, and run away. Also, Travel Teams like basketball and hockey really travel widely. I don't believe it's worth putting that much pressure on kids who have academic pressures as well - it's too much. Finally, financially. Unless your kid is genetically a superstar or huge (not huge for Fairfax, I mean huge like Mid-West huge), don't think about a scholarship. I see these puny Dads and their wacky stay at home soccer moms with their puny kids talking about scholarships and I just laugh. Idiots.

Posted by: Beaten and broke dad ()
Date: August 24, 2018 11:55AM

I thought come high school things would change around travel sports. Here it's soccer.

Two children play for travel teams. While they both start, they do so for their respective B teams.

While each club may treat their teams differently, in my experience, parents pay the same freight for A as they do for B. The difference circles around resources. For one club, the B team gets the "B coach." The B team goes to the lower-level tournaments and plays NCSL, rather than EDP (or whatever name the top league becomes each year).

Anyway, getting back to HS sports. Both children play varsity soccer. One starts (senior), while the other warms the bench (sophomore). Both teams historically win their conferences and usually move beyond the regional games.

What surprised me is with HS soccer (my bad), I assumed they would no longer want to play travel soccer.

Instead, I pay for both HS and travel sports.

No expectation of either child getting a college scholarship for soccer. Too many kids, not enough scholarships.

I agree that they will likely play in college (intermural) and do so as graduates in adult leagues.

Posted by: Thank u champion parent ()
Date: August 24, 2018 02:20PM

If you’re a female athlete, with equivalent skill to a similar aged male soccer player, you will get top schools recruiting you.
Division 1 all the bells n whistles.
Intramural in college is fun too

Posted by: 7MVK4 ()
Date: August 24, 2018 03:51PM

Travel sports - why not give your children a reasonable opportunity to be molested?

Posted by: Delusional Parents ()
Date: August 24, 2018 03:53PM

So few scholarships handed out. The best teams in the area have few if any full rides to show for it. Lots of parent lying about it though. Helps them sleep I think. Average scholarship for non football/basketball athletes for those that even get a scholarship is $2500. Directly from NCAA.

Keep paying the little Napolean coaches that make promises that never materialize. It's modern parenting.

Posted by: Brown Onion ()
Date: August 24, 2018 04:54PM

7MVK4 Wrote:
> Travel sports - why not give your children a
> reasonable opportunity to be molested?

Yep each team has a Pope Benedict as manager. In addition to raping kids, a good chance they will be Nazi's as well.

Posted by: Vienna VYS 2 ()
Date: August 24, 2018 07:51PM

Depends Wrote:
> Didjd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Travel sports seem like a waste of time and
> money.
> > I have a very athletic boy and girl and all
> > coaches want them to play travel this and that.
>
> > I’m rich so not looking for scholarship. Any
> > thoughts?
>
> Depends. Some travel teams have a higher degree of
> focus and seriousness to the game, so if your
> child is into a particular sport, it can be a good
> experience, depending. That said, many parents in
> travel sports are downright crazy and
> astonishingly unethical, willing to cut the throat
> of an eleven year old to get on the A Team (when,
> in fact, the top team is usually rigged by
> parent-coaches as an insiders game with talent
> hardly a consideration or not at all.) My kid had
> fun in travel soccer, but learned very young, as
> did friends, that many Travel Team people are
> shallow and untrustworthy. My kid was far more
> mature than most parents. We moved from a "bad"
> club to a good club -- just be mindful of the red
> flags when you see them, and run away. Also,
> Travel Teams like basketball and hockey really
> travel widely. I don't believe it's worth putting
> that much pressure on kids who have academic
> pressures as well - it's too much. Finally,
> financially. Unless your kid is genetically a
> superstar or huge (not huge for Fairfax, I mean
> huge like Mid-West huge), don't think about a
> scholarship. I see these puny Dads and their
> wacky stay at home soccer moms with their puny
> kids talking about scholarships and I just laugh.
> Idiots.

You're kids had a bad experience at VYS too? Mine, too.

Posted by: horny toad ()
Date: August 24, 2018 09:19PM

I love travel softball. When the out of states come to play the tourneys, there are tons of lonely MILFS that act as chaperones.......yummy

Posted by: Worn Out Travel Team Parent ()
Date: August 25, 2018 08:23AM

depends on the sport Wrote:
> Didjd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Travel sports seem like a waste of time and
> You don't want her to spend a second in
> house softball because the game they play is the
> worst of the worst and bears no resemblance to the
> way the game is supposed to be played.
>

I find that a lot of these travel baseball teams are comparable to LL teams. A typical team usually has 4-5 good players and the rest are pretty much useless.

It's also hard to say whether a organizational (for profit) or a "daddy ball"
based travel team is better. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The for profit teams usually have indoor training facilitates but they are not too selective on the quality of player. Anyone who shows up the tryout probably will be on a team. The quality of the paid coach also varies and there tends to be turnover between seasons. It's mostly about $.

The daddy ball teams usually have better core players but politics are usually involved.

Posted by: henrywilson ()
Date: May 14, 2020 08:28AM

I think that investing in your kids is never a waste of money. It is very important to give them the possibility to develop themselves and sport is a very good motivation. I think that travel sport gives them much experience, they learn more about different countries which is great. I would like to have such experience, and if you can give it to your kids, give it. I started to follow this blog Nomadific there is a guide of traveling. They also write there about how to create form traveling a business. So don't you think that this can help your kids to find out some ideas that will create their future? My opinion!

Posted by: Big Momma ()
Date: May 14, 2020 08:53AM

horny toad Wrote:
> I love travel softball. When the out of states
> come to play the tourneys, there are tons of
> lonely MILFS that act as chaperones.......yummy

Most softball moms weigh 240 pounds, but I bet they are loose and horny.

Posted by: They do not ()
Date: May 14, 2020 08:47PM

Girls soccer does NOT give full scholarships for athletics. If you are LUCKY you get 20-25%. That is it. Football and Mens Basketball ball the only 2 D1 sports who get full rides. If you are trying to get your daughter a full scholarship do not waste your time with sports. Total lie and not true.

Posted by: belanow ()
Date: May 25, 2021 07:36AM

In order to get some profits, you have to be very lucky indeed. As a rule, the only plus that is guaranteed is traveling with the competition team to other cities and sometimes even other countries.

Posted by: basta ()
Date: May 25, 2021 09:54AM

When I was visiting Russia, I decided to borrow a bike and go for a little travel to the hills. Some of the views were actually amazing. Guys, I would highly recommend you to go for a trip here someday, but not in the wintertime, of course. You can check out this web page as well and get yourself a visa with no problems. I've been to Russia several times and every time I find new things in it.

Posted by: Milky Floor ()
Date: May 31, 2021 05:11AM

Hey, trip to Russia actually sounds like fun. What about local prices? I've heard that it's much cheaper then in USA. Is it true?

Posted by: Kitter ()
Date: May 31, 2021 05:17AM

I can see that there are a lot of people among you who really like to travel! It's really cool that so many people share their experiences with each other. Someone even was in the Russian Federation! Amazing. I was in Peru recently. I can advise you a good Peru travel agent if you are going to travel there. A great place for a summer vacation.

Posted by: Mark H Black ()
Date: July 05, 2021 04:22AM

I believe that sports travellings is an amazing opportunity for the child

Posted by: Zavylon Zavylon ()
Date: July 05, 2021 06:45AM

Hi! I have never had such an experience of sports travel, but it seems to be amazing for children. Unfortunately, the current reality gave me an opportunity to begin to travel only a few years ago and when I was a child it was impossible. Now I am creating the next thailand itinerary and planning several else trips. I think that travel can really help the child to develop better.

Posted by: Andy54 ()
Date: November 23, 2021 03:00PM

I love sports traveling, and I always see it as an opportunity. Why do so many hate it?

Posted by: Lorton senators ()
Date: November 23, 2021 03:49PM

Travel baseball is the best!
Year around training that you can't get on your own
Sure it can get expensive, maybe $2500-$3200 every 6 months, but it's worth it.
The coaches think my son has a good shot at being drafted in the league or get a college scholarship. So well worth it

Posted by: verafrolovav ()
Date: November 29, 2021 05:17AM

It seems that sports travel is always enjoyable for children interested in it, but you shouldn't send them there without their consent. I know that there is quite a lot of physical activity that can easily make children tired, especially the unprepared ones. I'd instead use this money to take my kids on a trip to Europe and show them the area. Especially since you can easily find out the train schedule for Austria at https://www.oebbfahrplan.com/de/. and it's easy to get around to the different places you want. I think my kids would get a lot more out of it than a sports trip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2021 05:35AM by verafrolovav.

Posted by: zitta ()
Date: May 24, 2022 01:24PM

When I'm bored, I sometimes turn to the https://takebet.co.zm/ website to read new sports betting strategies. Thanks to this advice, I was able to significantly increase my chances of winning. I recommend you to read the information on this site. It will be very useful for beginners.

Posted by: Gromm ()
Date: September 06, 2022 11:58AM

Sport has always been interesting to me, but now I thought that it could also bring me a good income. Anyway, I never thought about betting before, but now I decided to try my hand at sports betting. While looking for a reliable site with sports news, match schedules and so on, I found this page. If you're a beginner better or even quite experienced, I recommend the Dimers resource anyway.

Posted by: Yen ()
Date: February 09, 2023 05:56AM

Yes, travel sports is a waste of time and money. I prefer MLB betting. I prefer to read sports news here. In terms of obtaining information, it appears to me that it is critical to find a trustworthy and proven information resource. Check it out.

Posted by: Die Spammer!!!!! ()
Date: February 09, 2023 07:40AM

Yen Wrote:
> Yes, travel sports is a waste of time and money. I
> prefer MLB betting. I prefer to read sports news
> href="https://www.sportstips.com/mlb/">here.
> In terms of obtaining information, it appears to
> me that it is critical to find a trustworthy and
> proven information resource. Check it out.

Keep your shitty malware-infested links off this site

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g
file.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamy

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.