HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Graduating this fall with a major in Information Systems...help me get a job
Posted by: The notebook ()
Date: July 21, 2018 10:23PM

I don't have many connections, primarily because all of my family is either a drug addict or in jail. I'll be the first in my family to graduate college. I'm aware there're lot of trolls on here but I've also noticed there are some wise and experienced old heads. I'd like tips on resumes, interviews and things alike. Any particular firms that hire for entry level positions in the area? Most of the online job descriptions expect you to have two years of experience just to get an entry level position (the word entry in this instance appears to be an oxymoron). Anyhow I'd appreciate constructive responses.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graduating this fall with a major in Information Systems...help me get a job
Posted by: some ideas ()
Date: July 21, 2018 11:58PM

Provided your focus is largely programming, spend some time building a demoable portfolio on your own time. Base it somewhat on the technologies you're looking to be recruited for. The key challenge when recruiting someone is the unknowns involved. Showing you can produce results with code you can demo and change will be impressive.

For interviews, show up 15 minutes early. Dress well. Get plenty of sleep. Be ready for problem solving questions or coding questions on the fly. Do some online research about the company you are interviewing with..

Re: Graduating this fall with a major in Information Systems...help me get a job
Posted by: Hiring manager ()
Date: July 22, 2018 12:27AM

What "some ideas" said, plus:
- don't just assume that because you know x, you'll be doing x. The really valuable employees are those who can do most anything required, whether it's familiar or not.
- think about it from the hiring manager's perspective: (s)he doesn't give a **** what you want to do; (s)he wants to know what you can do for the company. Those are different.
- if you're not already aware: lots of resume screening is automated. So don't lie (you'll get caught out!) but do list anything you've ever touched. You don't have to be an Oracle expert if you've used it, but you do want to get looked at for a job that requires it.
- don't be surprised if you get an interview and then never hear from them again. Companies do this a lot; it's rude but it's sort of accepted practice.
- Good luck!

Posted by: From GMU or Tech? ()
Date: July 22, 2018 06:35AM

If your degree is from GMU or Tech, that’s good, we always need ditch diggers

Posted by: Phil McCrackin ()
Date: July 22, 2018 07:50AM

Be ready to accept something less than what you expect to start, but do so in a company where you want to move up.

This gives you time to prove yourself and - despite the lower level title and salary - you can gain valuable experience and get a first hand look at what higher level jobs actually do on a daily basis.

Posted by: Better Advice ()
Date: July 22, 2018 09:06AM

If you haven't gone to your school's career services center, you're a lazy fool.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: July 22, 2018 09:11AM

The notebook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have many connections, primarily because
> all of my family is either a drug addict or in
> jail. I'll be the first in my family to graduate
> college. I'm aware there're lot of trolls on here
> but I've also noticed there are some wise and
> experienced old heads. I'd like tips on resumes,
> interviews and things alike. Any particular firms
> that hire for entry level positions in the area?
> Most of the online job descriptions expect you to
> have two years of experience just to get an entry
> level position (the word entry in this instance
> appears to be an oxymoron). Anyhow I'd appreciate
> constructive responses.

If you have no connections or friends already in the field you are in, I would suggest starting as an IT contractor. THEY have the connections to all the big IT projects in the area and have access to jobs that are never even posted. Try one of the big ones like Tek Systems.

Posted by: Whitehawk Down ()
Date: July 22, 2018 10:23AM

You might need to intern to get the experience. My kids all had internships over the summer while at college. All of them had great resumes after graduations and all were offered jobs with at least one place that they interned.

Look to places like the financial sector. Big plus if you can do analytics. Data science and data mining are still big.

If you have a cyber security degree, go the route of a federal contractor. They love entry level people because it allows them to throw junior people onto contracts and keep most of what they charge back for the resource. After 5 years of that, you'll have great experience and can start making the serious money.

If you're degree is general IT or, even worse, networks and/or infrastructure, you're pretty much locked into either small companies or government contractors. Might have to start on the help desk.

Posted by: Crack the Code ()
Date: July 22, 2018 10:40AM

Two years experience is HR code meaning they don't want to have to train you to do the basic aspects of the job. A candidate who has demonstrated the ability to do the basic aspects of the job through internships, freelance work and volunteer work might be considered.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.