HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Now that most of the Shoppers Food Warehouse stores are closing will you miss them???
Posted by: Bagel eater ()
Date: June 15, 2018 05:19AM

I will miss the bagels and the gigantic donuts. I will also miss the charming lackluster service attitude of the angry women that worked there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Now that most of the Shoppers Food Warehouse stores are closing will you miss them???
Posted by: Ebt user ()
Date: June 15, 2018 08:15AM

Aldi is now the go to place for ebt customers.

Re: Now that most of the Shoppers Food Warehouse stores are closing will you miss them???
Posted by: FfxU In-person Grocery Shopper ()
Date: June 15, 2018 10:36AM

Ebt user Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aldi is now the go to place for ebt customers.

Don't hate on Aldi- I am quite well off and shop there, the food quality is just as good if not better than giant,wegmans, etc.

The only turn off is the lack of name-brand goods- but with a money back guarantee which i have only used twice on produce and did in fact get my money back and a new product...but end of the day that can of spagetthi-o's is made in the same factory as the name label one- just like some giant/shoppers brand and name brand stuff you would be surprised. You are paying for the name, just like polo jeans.

So what if they take EBT- I'd rather they get 6 bags of groceries for their $100 vs only 3 bags at harris teeter or w/e.

If they delivered groceries like peapod/safeway/amazon they would make a killing. And they pay their cashiers 13 an hour plus while giant you are lucky to get 10. I can live with that.

Posted by: cornflakes ()
Date: June 15, 2018 10:50AM

Must have been a union shop like Giant. We did not shop there because the employees were just horrid. Coughing on food while preparing sandwiches was the last thing I observed before never returning. Reporting this to the manager failed to get any real concerned reaction.

Yes yes have some HEP-C with your ham sandwich.

Posted by: Hey Dummy ()
Date: June 15, 2018 10:57AM

Bagel eater Wrote:
> I will miss the bagels and the gigantic donuts. I
> will also miss the charming lackluster service
> attitude of the angry women that worked there.

You need to cut down in the carbs because your ass is getting super huge.

Posted by: STEVVMAC ()
Date: June 15, 2018 11:18AM

FUCK no. They sold shitty soup.

Posted by: STEVVMAC ()
Date: June 15, 2018 11:19AM

FfxU In-person Grocery Shopper Wrote:
>
> The only turn off is the lack of name-brand goods-
> but with a money back guarantee which i have only
> used twice on produce and did in fact get my money
> back and a new product...

If you want name brands, go to Trader Joe's.

They're the same company, faggot.

Posted by: Flawed logic ()
Date: June 15, 2018 09:52PM

STEVVMAC Wrote:
> FfxU In-person Grocery Shopper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > The only turn off is the lack of name-brand
> goods-
> > but with a money back guarantee which i have
> only
> > used twice on produce and did in fact get my
> money
> > back and a new product...
>
> If you want name brands, go to Trader Joe's.
>
> They're the same company, faggot.

Corvette is same as cobalt- “they’re the same company”
Old navy is the same as banana republic- “ “
Trader Joe’s is owned by Aldi.
Tj’s demographic is way different than Aldi customer.
I feel like I’m shopping in Cuba for groceries at Aldi.

At tj’s, esp old town, has samples, validated parking, those nice paper bags, the after yoga pussy, hot milfs, bell ringing, $4 wine.

I will guarantee you will not find a single woman at Aldi that just left a yoga class.....nor incomes over $60k.

Posted by: 6PEME ()
Date: June 15, 2018 09:57PM

When did they announce the closings?

Posted by: WCN7T ()
Date: June 16, 2018 07:01AM

No won't miss them, closest one from where live in western Fairfax County is several miles away. With gas around $3 a gallon, several other grocery stores within a couple or a few miles with 99%+ of what Shoppers has on the shelves.

In more recent years, Shoppers prices approached almost what you pay at Giant. If you want to save money, one place to save is the Dollar Tree in Chantilly with everything $1 (some items brand names), they even have a small fridge food section, staple type goods, health & beauty, and cleaning products. Far from a regular grocer with many many thousands of items, but a good place to start. Also Walmart, their grocery section has expanded to the point where they even have items Giant, Harris Teeter, and others don't have. If you don't care for Walmart otherwise, you can concentrate your shopping only in the grocery and pharmacy sections of the store, and most locations have self checkout as well as full service. The key is timing is to go during their less busier times during the week, not say on a Saturday afternoon. Aldi on the other hand - lack of brand names (sometimes store brands ok, sometimes not), pay for carts, bag your own groceries (no choice), other restrictions.

Posted by: gated driveway ()
Date: June 16, 2018 07:14AM

WCN7T Wrote:
> No won't miss them, closest one from where live in
> western Fairfax County is several miles away.
> With gas around $3 a gallon, several other grocery
> stores within a couple or a few miles with 99%+ of
> what Shoppers has on the shelves.
>
> In more recent years, Shoppers prices approached
> almost what you pay at Giant. If you want to save
> money, one place to save is the Dollar Tree in
> Chantilly with everything $1 (some items brand
> names), they even have a small fridge food
> section, staple type goods, health & beauty, and
> cleaning products. Far from a regular grocer with
> many many thousands of items, but a good place to
> start. Also Walmart, their grocery section has
> expanded to the point where they even have items
> Giant, Harris Teeter, and others don't have. If
> you don't care for Walmart otherwise, you can
> concentrate your shopping only in the grocery and
> pharmacy sections of the store, and most locations
> have self checkout as well as full service. The
> key is timing is to go during their less busier
> times during the week, not say on a Saturday
> afternoon. Aldi on the other hand - lack of brand
> names (sometimes store brands ok, sometimes not),
> pay for carts, bag your own groceries (no choice),
> other restrictions.

It must be horrible to be so poor that you actually care about the cost of gasoline. Have you no education?

Posted by: FCPS Graduate ()
Date: June 16, 2018 08:21AM

gated driveway Wrote:

> It must be horrible to be so poor that you actually care about the cost of gasoline. Have you no education?

I make less than minimum wage at my job (and no tips or other compensation,
no benefits, no health care, no nuthin) and work 60 hours a week.
Can barely afford a room in Springfield. I am 58 years old and graduated from Annandale High School. Have done odd jobs all my life. Guidance department in high school said that my best career option would be "stock boy". I did jobs like that most of my life but now I am too old (and weak) to do most of those things.

I definitely care about the cost of gasoline!
Aldi is OK but very limited selection, I only get a few things there.
Mostly shop at Giant.

(I am not the OP or any other poster in this thread, though.)

I'll be dead pretty soon and out of your hair.

Posted by: TC9KL ()
Date: June 16, 2018 09:51AM

6PEME Wrote:
> When did they announce the closings?

The one in Centreville is closed. Not sure about others.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/shoppers-food-warehouse-centreville

Also saw possibly an Aldi opening in Fair Lakes Center. In the middle of the nearly mile long strip of shops, they are doing construction tearing out a storefront, and there was a sign with foot high letters that simple said ALDI when passed by there a couple of weeks ago.

Posted by: WDTPD ()
Date: June 16, 2018 09:53AM

TC9KL Wrote:
> 6PEME Wrote:
> -----
> > When did they announce the closings?
>
> The one in Centreville is closed. Not sure about
> others.
> https://www.yelp.com/biz/shoppers-food-warehouse-c
> entreville
>
> Also saw possibly an Aldi opening in Fair Lakes
> Center. In the middle of the nearly mile long
> strip of shops, they are doing construction
> tearing out a storefront, and there was a sign
> with foot high letters that simple said ALDI when
> passed by there a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2018/01/10/aldi-signs-another-northern-virginia-lease.html

Posted by: Store brands ()
Date: June 16, 2018 10:27AM

STEVVMAC Wrote:
> FfxU In-person Grocery Shopper Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > The only turn off is the lack of name-brand
> goods-
> > but with a money back guarantee which i have
> only
> > used twice on produce and did in fact get my
> money
> > back and a new product...
>
>

Aldi and Trader Joe's, which is also owned by Aldi, sell mostly their own store brands. The graphics and name of the brand on the packaging is different but the contents are identical. At Trader Joe's they bag your groceries vs. at Aldi they put them in the cart for you. The additional labor cost is reflected in price differences. For example a box of Maple Leaf cookies labeled "Trader Joes" is $3.29 and bagged for you whereas the same box of cookies labeled "Benton's" at Aldi's is $1.99.

Whole Foods, which is owned by Amazon and has no connection to Aldi, also sells mostly its own store brands.

Posted by: discerning Oenophile ()
Date: June 16, 2018 10:43AM

Trader Joes $4 wine costs $3 at Aldi, but the Whole Foods $4 wine is better.

Posted by: Chip. ()
Date: June 16, 2018 10:57AM

The fake doritos from Aldi are nasty!
Attachments:
ALDI-chips-1.png

Posted by: Cookie. ()
Date: June 16, 2018 11:53AM

Chip. Wrote:
> The fake doritos from Aldi are nasty!

Good to know. The fake Girl Scout cookies are delicious though.
Attachments:
IMG_1031.jpg

Posted by: easterman ()
Date: June 16, 2018 12:59PM

I only shop at easterns cause at easterns yo job b yo credit

Posted by: HGTWD ()
Date: June 16, 2018 01:20PM

Besides prices, location, and customer service, support of the grocery stores that your values, beliefs, and cultural background you are comfortable with.

For myself, that is Harris Teeter, based in North Carolina, and Walmart, based in Arkansas, both southern chains, higher red politically, vs. blue. Safeway is based in San Francisco, very blue, and Giant's parent is in Netherlands, very blue. Comparatively Harris Teeter more so and even Walmart does not spend as much money on political correctness which helps in keeping prices lower. Harris Teeter buy one, get one free items, if you buy only one, it rings at half prices which is great for single or small households, and often some of their sale prices are lower than Walmart's regular prices. None of the other grocery chains I know does that with B1G1F, where instead you have to buy two. With Harris Teeter, you can check store prices on 98%+ of their store items before going to the store listed in the grocery pickup order section of their web site (can view as a guest, not need an account to use), so you can see what is on sale before you get to the store, and the web site price is the the store price, which love this transparency (this is not so with Giant Peapod). Harris Teeter also requires its associates to speak English to customers and each others, unless the customer requests otherwise, which saves money by not having to spend money supporting multiple languages. Walmart allows Salvation Army bell ringers in front of its store (Target kicked them out a decade ago) and the Chantilly Expo Center Walmart had a large dancing and singing Santa inside its store entrance last Christmas season. Harris Teeters are closed Christmas Day, unlike some of the other grocery chains which raises their costs passed onto to customers. Target had to spend hundreds of thousands if not millions retrofitting its bathrooms for so called political correctness purposes and have not shopped there in years. I may pop into Safeway occasionally for its very small percentage of price loss leaders items, but personally go to Harris Teeter almost weekly; and Walmart a little further away only monthly with its lower prices, selections, though mixed experiences with its customer service.

It would be very interesting if each grocer and every large business and government did a cost analysis of how much money it spends for political correctness on basis of diversity such as very ethnic groups, languages support, LGBT, etc. and make that information public.

Posted by: 300k HHI Aldi shopper ()
Date: June 16, 2018 01:44PM

FCPS Graduate Wrote:
> gated driveway Wrote:
> -----
>
> > It must be horrible to be so poor that you
> actually care about the cost of gasoline. Have you
> no education?
>
> I make less than minimum wage at my job (and no
> tips or other compensation,
> no benefits, no health care, no nuthin) and work
> 60 hours a week.
> Can barely afford a room in Springfield. I am 58
> years old and graduated from Annandale High
> School. Have done odd jobs all my life. Guidance
> department in high school said that my best career
> option would be "stock boy". I did jobs like that
> most of my life but now I am too old (and weak) to
> do most of those things.
>
> I definitely care about the cost of gasoline!
> Aldi is OK but very limited selection, I only get
> a few things there.

I find Aldi has about 95% of what I need, I wouldn't call it very limited unless you're talking about brand choices.

Posted by: Deutschland Uber Alles ()
Date: June 16, 2018 01:46PM

I shop at Aldi and Trader Joes because it is German-owned.

Posted by: Aldi=shithole countries ()
Date: June 16, 2018 03:26PM

Wtf u pay for a shopping cart at Aldi?
I remember shoppers Burke used to charge 3cents for bags.
I thought that shit was ridiculous!
Giant was good when Izzy was still checking on stires.
The union killed giant btw....
Trader Joe’s is like going to Disneyland as a kid....w the exception of the Springfield location.
Too many mofo s that just learned how to drive!
Sadly, the Jews that run Trader Joe’s purposely get locations in rundown shopping strip malls to save money.
Lidl Tacketts mill is a BUST!
Sux

Ps. The “food” u buy at dollar tree is food that was rejected for import into the EU. Same with their toiletries.

Date: June 16, 2018 03:35PM

Aldi=shithole countries Wrote:
> Wtf u pay for a shopping cart at Aldi?
> I remember shoppers Burke used to charge 3cents
> for bags.
> I thought that shit was ridiculous!
> Giant was good when Izzy was still checking on
> stires.
> The union killed giant btw....
> Trader Joe’s is like going to Disneyland as a
> kid....

You put a quarter deposit and then get it back when you return the cart. And if you put your bag or box in the cart next to the checkout, the cashier will bag your groceries in most cases.

Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi and sells a lot of the exact same foods. The only difference is the graphics on the packaging. Neither store has brand choices.

Posted by: U need some coke! ()
Date: June 16, 2018 05:21PM

Can you name some T.J. s products that are just like Aldi’s in different packaging?
Thanks

Posted by: Quod erat ()
Date: June 16, 2018 06:05PM

U need some coke! Wrote:
> Can you name some T.J. s products that are just
> like Aldi’s in different packaging?
> Thanks

Aldi and Trader Joe's do not stock all the same products but anything that is sold at both stores will be the same because they share the same supply chain.
Attachments:
maple_aldi.jpg
maple_TJ.jpg

Posted by: another example ()
Date: June 16, 2018 06:09PM

Attachments:
tomato soup.jpg

Posted by: scones ()
Date: June 16, 2018 06:12PM

Attachments:
scones1.jpg

Posted by: steel cut oats ()
Date: June 16, 2018 06:21PM

Attachments:
alditjoatmeal.jpg

Posted by: organic veg broth ()
Date: June 16, 2018 06:22PM

Attachments:
alditjvegebroth.jpg

Posted by: Wow I’ll be a monkeys uncle ()
Date: June 16, 2018 08:25PM

Wow!
What do you think avg savings is?

Posted by: Morons abound ()
Date: June 16, 2018 08:36PM

STEVVMAC Wrote:
>

Why so angry, son? Especially when you're wrong.

Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud are different companies. That doesn't mean that some of their products aren't the same (modulo the label) but they are NOT the same company, nor are they owned by the same company.

Read and learn:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

Date: June 16, 2018 09:06PM

Morons abound Wrote:
> Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud are different companies.
> That doesn't mean that some of their products
> aren't the same (modulo the label) but they are
> NOT the same company, nor are they owned by the
> same company.
>
> Read and learn:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

Sorry to bust your Wikipedia bubble, but there are over 100 "legally separate" Aldi companies comprising Aldi Sud and Aldi Nord. However the EU considers them all the same company for regulatory and tax purposes.

Aldi did split into are two in 1960 but they have stayed close and moved closer over time. They are owned by two foundations, but with > 95% overlap. Aldi Sud and Aldi Nord collude with each other and share market/business research, negotiate common contracts and they share the same suppliers, producers, transportation, and in some cases the same distribution centers.

Posted by: LIDI IS KICKING ASS ()
Date: June 16, 2018 09:59PM

CHEAP! people steady coming thru, 12 grain wheat bread 1.29, eggs 99 cents milk Allen chicken from NC 2 breasts 3.50, legs 4-5 dollars big pack, sliced cheddar cheese 1.59, pack of 8 oz shredded cheddar, red pepper humus 1.89, tortilla chips 1.29, doughnuts 50 cents, baguette 1.25 ,as cheap as it gets, very clean no frills place owned by Germans with a lotta jack to spend setting it all up

Posted by: Shill Spotter ()
Date: June 16, 2018 10:21PM

LIDI IS KICKING ASS Wrote:
> CHEAP! people steady coming thru, 12 grain wheat
> bread 1.29, eggs 99 cents milk Allen chicken from
> NC 2 breasts 3.50, legs 4-5 dollars big pack,
> sliced cheddar cheese 1.59, pack of 8 oz shredded
> cheddar, red pepper humus 1.89, tortilla chips
> 1.29, doughnuts 50 cents, baguette 1.25 ,as cheap
> as it gets, very clean no frills place owned by
> Germans with a lotta jack to spend setting it all
> up

Yes you have been cheerleading for Lidl for some time now, even before ground was broken for the first store. Are you getting paid for your services?

Posted by: William Moreno aka Miz ()
Date: June 16, 2018 10:50PM

I'll miss Tator sticking his dick in the big Shoppers donuts & patting me on the head, as I nibble it off. Great donut for helping me keep my figure.

Posted by: Morons abound ()
Date: June 17, 2018 06:35AM

Deutschland Uber Alles Wrote:
> Morons abound Wrote:
> -----
> > Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud are different companies.
> > That doesn't mean that some of their products
> > aren't the same (modulo the label) but they are
> > NOT the same company, nor are they owned by the
> > same company.
> >
> > Read and learn:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi
>
> Sorry to bust your Wikipedia bubble, but there are
> over 100 "legally separate" Aldi companies
> comprising Aldi Sud and Aldi Nord. However the EU
> considers them all the same company for
> regulatory and tax purposes.
>
> Aldi did split into are two in 1960 but they have
> stayed close and moved closer over time. They are
> owned by two foundations, but with > 95% overlap.
> Aldi Sud and Aldi Nord collude with each other and
> share market/business research, negotiate common
> contracts and they share the same suppliers,
> producers, transportation, and in some cases the
> same distribution centers.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong? The funny thing is you have just helped prove beyond any doubt that you are wrong and really stupid too. Thanks for the laughs!

Posted by: Laurie Strode ()
Date: June 17, 2018 06:44AM

Yes because had bangin ass donuts

Posted by: H8ter ()
Date: June 17, 2018 08:06AM

Put down that crack pipe & get a fucking grip.
Shoppers is not closing most of their store, you fucked up asshole drug addict.
I suggest you seek professional help, ASAP.

Posted by: the doughnuts ()
Date: June 17, 2018 08:22AM

I may be in the minority but I actually don't care for the big SFW donuts. They are too doughey and don't have enough sugar to offset the dougheyness. I prefer Krispy Kreme or Duck Donuts.

Posted by: SFW fkr ()
Date: June 17, 2018 12:47PM

Fair City and Rolling valley mall locations are closing in August.

Posted by: YCPH6 ()
Date: June 18, 2018 10:33PM

TC9KL Wrote:
> 6PEME Wrote:
> -----
> > When did they announce the closings?
>
> The one in Centreville is closed. Not sure about
> others.
> https://www.yelp.com/biz/shoppers-food-warehouse-c
> entreville
>
> Also saw possibly an Aldi opening in Fair Lakes
> Center. In the middle of the nearly mile long
> strip of shops, they are doing construction
> tearing out a storefront, and there was a sign
> with foot high letters that simple said ALDI when
> passed by there a couple of weeks ago.

I think that is where the Sports Authority used to be.

Posted by: MEGCJ ()
Date: June 18, 2018 10:40PM

SFW fkr Wrote:
> Fair City and Rolling valley mall locations are
> closing in August.

Where did you hear that?

Shit, Trader Joe's will be the only grocery store in that area. I guess there will be a Giant at Scout on the Circle when it is completed, but that could be two more years.

Posted by: Nutsss ()
Date: June 19, 2018 08:02AM

SFW fkr Wrote:
> closing in August.

OMG. Fair City Shoopers has the best price and selection of any store within miles. The parking lot is large and safe - unlike Safeway at Pan Am (disaster) or Giant in Oakton (same) where your car is sure to be damaged.

Date: June 19, 2018 10:55AM

Hey, rickies, Shoppers is a show. Only hurting donky dicks shop there.

I shop at Money Metal Harris Tweeter, rick.

Posted by: Mr. Whipple ()
Date: June 19, 2018 11:31AM

Kroger.

Based in Cincinnati, Kroger is the country's largest supermarket chain ($115B in revenue), and the second largest retailer behind Walmart.

In 2013, Kroger acquired Harris-Teeter for $2.5B, adding 212 stores. For those of you in FFXCO that like Harris-Teeter, say what you will about its southern charm; the store is actually Ohio based.

Two good things about the acquisition is Harris-Teeter sells Graeter's ice cream and Skyline chili (albeit in cans).

One thing Kroger does not do is to rebrand all its newly-acquired stores. Only in rare instances does Kroger swap names. Ralphs in California and Fred Meyer in the pacific NW are two well-known regional chains owned by Kroger.

Posted by: all the same ()
Date: June 19, 2018 11:39AM

Is the one on Pickett in Fairfax closing? Filled with shit food like Giant, Safeway etc. WholePaycheck, Trader Joe's Aldi's Mom's Organic have quality foods at a price range according to store.

Lets face it, outside the produce isle all groceries are carrying foods that give you cancer. Meat, processed shit carbs and sugar. Those all make you sick before they kill you. Crackers, chips, candy, soda - who the fuck needs that disgusting shit in your body? Concentration Camp meat/dairy products are disgusting too. If you saw where your eggs or steak came from you wouldnt eat that shit.

Posted by: yummy death cake ()
Date: June 19, 2018 11:43AM

Posted by: hairy- teets ()
Date: June 19, 2018 08:14PM

all the same Wrote:
> Is the one on Pickett in Fairfax closing? Filled
> with shit food like Giant, Safeway etc.
> WholePaycheck, Trader Joe's Aldi's Mom's Organic
> have quality foods at a price range according to
> store.
>
> Lets face it, outside the produce isle all
> groceries are carrying foods that give you cancer.
> Meat, processed shit carbs and sugar. Those all
> make you sick before they kill you. Crackers,
> chips, candy, soda - who the fuck needs that
> disgusting shit in your body? Concentration Camp
> meat/dairy products are disgusting too. If you
> saw where your eggs or steak came from you wouldnt
> eat that
> shit.

That is really stupid.

Posted by: Piggly Wiggly Fan ()
Date: June 19, 2018 08:31PM

We need a Piggly Wiggly. Piggly Wiggly was the world's first self-service grocery store. Piggly-Wiggly was also the first grocery store to
- Provide checkout stands.
- Provide shopping carts for customers
- Price mark every item in the store.
- Feature a full line of nationally advertised brands.
- Use refrigerated cases to keep produce fresher longer.
- Put employees in uniforms for cleaner, more sanitary food handling.
- Design and use patented fixtures and equipment throughout the store.
- Franchise independent grocers to operate under the self-service method of food merchandising

Just walking in to a Piggly Wiggly makes me all giggly and Piggly Wiggly turns a vist to Emporia into pure Euphoria. There are only 3 Piggly Wigglys in Virginia. I could care less about Shoppers Food Warehouse.
Attachments:
piggly wiggly.png

Posted by: Demographer ()
Date: June 19, 2018 11:05PM

Shoppers lost their way at least 20 years ago. They used to be low-price and low-service and they had smaller stores in bad neighborhoods (all over PG County, for example).

Wasn't Shoppers originally a Haft store?

Posted by: reford ()
Date: June 20, 2018 05:11AM

The best thing about SFW was that they used to sell Richfood products. We all got hooked on Richfood products by shopping at Memco back in the day. Sadly, there are no more Richfood products.

https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/richfood-last-vestige-of-richmond-grocers-gets-dumped/Content?oid=1716229

Posted by: TT7FJ ()
Date: June 24, 2018 12:28AM

SFW fkr Wrote:
> closing in August.

I bet those Orthodox Jews will miss it.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: June 24, 2018 03:25AM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2018 07:21AM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Sam Ukrop ()
Date: July 04, 2018 02:58PM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
> Demographer Wrote:
> -----
> > Shoppers lost their way at least 20 years ago.
> > They used to be low-price and low-service and
> they
> > had smaller stores in bad neighborhoods (all
> over
> > PG County, for example).
> >
> > Wasn't Shoppers originally a Haft store?
>
> No, they were founded as a low-cost division of
> Jumbo Food Stores as a warehouse store that sold
> large and bulk packaged items. They were kind of a
> proto-Price Club, except you didn't have to have a
> membership. Jumbo Foods was a family operation,
> owned by the Herman family.
>
> The Wikipedia article claims they opened in 1978,
> but the oldest store I know of was the one that
> opened at 6255 Little River Turnpike in the
> Brighton Mall shopping center on October 27, 1980.
> (It's a New Grand Mart now.)
>
> Shoppers Food Warehouse was so successful that
> "Jumbo Food" disappeared and all their locations
> were rebranded.
>
> Haft bought into SFW in 1989 when he purchased a
> minority share of the company from one of the
> founding brothers. In 1997, Dart Group bought the
> rest of SFW, and the following year the Dart Group
> itself was bought by Richfood, who wanted the SFW
> operation.

I miss Richfood products.

Posted by: not a nog ()
Date: July 05, 2018 03:02PM

Does this mean more nogs will be at weggies?

Posted by: Wegmans dress policy ()
Date: July 05, 2018 06:50PM

To keep undesirables out of Wegmans, there is now a dress code:
- no do rags
-no XXXXXXXXL black tshirts
-no XXXXXXXXL white tshirts
-no Jordan’s
-no nappy cocoa butter
Anything I miss?

Posted by: 6YDGC ()
Date: July 05, 2018 09:57PM

First it's bookstores.
Now it's groceries.
Both taken over by Amazon.com.

I wonder what other business segments Haft can invest in?

Posted by: Union Thugs ()
Date: July 05, 2018 10:50PM

More businesses and jobs killed by unions. Good riddance to all the overpaid, lazy ass union thugs!

Posted by: Coon watcher ()
Date: July 05, 2018 11:41PM

Shoppers seems to attract the niggers.

Posted by: nova00 ()
Date: July 06, 2018 02:31PM

I shop at the Fairfax city one all the time. It is packed no matter when I go. What proof is there that they are closing in August? I realize one closed but does that mean all of them are closing? This post does not make any sense.

Posted by: Sy Syms ()
Date: July 06, 2018 02:40PM

Quod erat Wrote:
> U need some coke! Wrote:
> -----
> > Can you name some T.J. s products that are just
> > like Aldi’s in different packaging?
> > Thanks
>
> Aldi and Trader Joe's do not stock all the same
> products but anything that is sold at both stores
> will be the same because they share the same
> supply chain.

Here is an interesting point you folks have failed to notice. Many of products offered at Aldi are Kosher, and are actually the highest quality, but at a mush lower price.

Posted by: Aldi Not ()
Date: July 06, 2018 04:14PM

Crap can be kosher. Most of what’s on the shelves at Aldi is crap.

Posted by: test results say otherwise ()
Date: July 06, 2018 05:03PM

Aldi Not Wrote:
> Crap can be kosher. Most of what’s on the
> shelves at Aldi is crap.

No, Aldi/Trader Joes, and Whole Foods products are usually better quality than the store brands sold by other grocery stores.

Posted by: Demographer ()
Date: July 07, 2018 11:22PM

6YDGC Wrote:
> First it's bookstores.
> Now it's groceries.
> Both taken over by Amazon.com.
>
> I wonder what other business segments Haft can
> invest in?

Drug stores, auto parts stores, liquor stores, real estate.

Posted by: barker6 ()
Date: July 08, 2018 06:08AM

The best grocery store in the world is Food Lion. They are perfectly sized and stocked. I don't know about price because I don't pay any attention to that. I buy what I need. We need more food lions in the area.

Posted by: Nobody misses them ()
Date: July 09, 2018 11:01AM

There were plenty of Food Lion stores around here 25 years ago. They failed. They tried to retain some market share under the more upscale BLOOM brand, but those failed as well. We just don't have enough trailer-trash around here any more. Carpetbagging liberals drove them all away -- thank god!!!

Posted by: nu9xy ()
Date: August 21, 2018 05:24PM

SFW fkr Wrote:
> closing in August.

When in August? I went to the one in Fairfax City and didn't see any notices. As a matter of fact, they have redone the layout of the produce department.

Posted by: aint lion ()
Date: August 21, 2018 05:35PM

Nobody misses them Wrote:
> There were plenty of Food Lion stores around here
> 25 years ago. They failed. They tried to retain
> some market share under the more upscale BLOOM
> brand, but those failed as well. We just don't
> have enough trailer-trash around here any more.
> Carpetbagging liberals drove them all away --
> thank god!!!

Lorton and Chantilly still have food lions.

Posted by: Nova00 ()
Date: August 21, 2018 06:53PM

I think they are only closing the under performing ones. I asked at that shoppers if they were closing and they have never heard that. I would think if they were closing it would be pretty obvious by now. Maybe eventually they will all close but at the very least Fairfax does such a good business I would imagine it would be here until they no Longer operated any stores at all.

Posted by: Too Many Niggers ()
Date: August 22, 2018 08:47AM

Like most grocery stores frequented by niggers, only go to a shoppers during daylight hours.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Posted by: shop this. ()
Date: August 24, 2018 02:37PM

Fairfax shoppers will be changed over to a Lidl.

https://www.lidl.com/

Posted by: EXMWX ()
Date: August 25, 2018 11:51AM

Aldi opened another store in Fair Lakes this week.

Posted by: CYH9X ()
Date: August 25, 2018 12:55PM

shop this. Wrote:
> Fairfax shoppers will be changed over to a Lidl.
>
> https://www.lidl.com/

Sure, Jan.

Posted by: gong time ()
Date: October 29, 2018 08:05PM

Fair city is closing now. Soon there will be no SFW's anywhere.

Posted by: Fortnite ()
Date: October 29, 2018 08:16PM

gong time Wrote:
> Fair city is closing now. Soon there will be no
> SFW's anywhere.

Pics or it did not happen.

Posted by: I Sure Will ()
Date: October 29, 2018 09:18PM

Its 200 some miles to the U.N in New York to see people from third world nations in mass

Posted by: I Will Miss The Fish Dept But ()
Date: October 29, 2018 09:23PM

Never was as good as the Korean stores, they were too cheap to get the special smell installed .

I love Shoppers just kidding and I love Super H Mart, Just got to be Sassy and Smart!

Posted by: Ahh No Lidi Yet ()
Date: October 29, 2018 09:37PM

>Fairfax shoppers will be changed over to a Lidl.

Lidi has pockets full of money, they build their own stores and have the cheapest prices for good foods you ever saw

They business model is much smaller stores then Shoppers , no frills but clean as a pin

They have enough money they will build a store and leave it 2 years before opening until they get a distribution center built , that take land and there's not much more in Fairfax, like Food Lion started they will be out there unless they get a center built in PW Co that can supply Fairfax. may be maybe not

Beach Going People and all south bounders on I 95 get off at Rt 3 West
there's a Lidi 3 miles to the west on the right side, stock up . 3 miles back to I 95 without much hassle. Maybe one on Rt 17 west also. We go 29 to 3 to 95 heading to the beach to avoid I-95 up here and hit the Lidi on the way home

Posted by: I'll keep SFW, thanks ()
Date: October 30, 2018 10:20AM

Lidi is on par with Wawa.

Posted by: chip guy ()
Date: October 30, 2018 08:29PM

gong time Wrote:
> Fair city is closing now. Soon there will be no
> SFW's anywhere.

It is changing to a Giant.

Posted by: Dollar Tree ()
Date: October 30, 2018 09:13PM

Dollar Tree is good for: single rolls of paper towels, hand sanitizer, plastic utensils, anything to do with party decorations or making holiday baskets, cheap glassware, kitchen tools, and a few other things. (You can also get some health products like toothpaste, but it's no cheaper than Giant -- just smaller packages.) In the freezer they have some TV dinner types of low-end junk food, like frozen burritos, and some questionable cheese and stuff in the fridge; I don't go there for any food. I have bought some tiny-sized condiments there, like for putting into a backpack. Umm, you can also get cheap electronic cables, cheap tools, putty scrapers, some car stuff, laundry and other little canvas baskets, and an emergency pair of socks. It's a very useful store that is quite overlooked because people think it's a poor people's store. I get all of those kinds of things all the time (but not the food). Oh and candy is a good deal too. Every fucking thing costs $1. You learn how much regular stores are totally ripping you off by a factor of 5x or 10x cost on many of exactly the same items!

Aldi and Lidl are nothing at all like a Shopper's Warehouse, of course.
They are teeny tiny little stores with an extremely limited selection
of perfectly good off-brand (house brand) packaged groceries (e.g. soup).
But a normal person cannot expect to get everything they need there.
You still need to go to Giant or Wegmans or Safeway or Harry's Tweeter.

I have shopped at Aldi a few times when I just needed certain limited things.
They had good prices. If you have time to shop and want to save a
few dollars, it's possibly worth a stop. Like how you go to Trader Joe's
to pick up a few certain items (but with the spending in reverse polarity).
Lidl is just Aldi spelled sideways: they're exactly the same kind of thing.

Posted by: Completely Different Owners ()
Date: October 30, 2018 10:09PM

Lidl is just Aldi spelled sideways: they're exactly the same kind of thing.

Aldi is also a good place and agree that for full service a Giant Safeway Shoppers Wegmans or Food Lion is the way to go

I always get my everyday seafood shrimp other shellfish at Giant . If Im making something special I go to Wegmans or Fresh Foods Harris Teeter, for Chilean Sea Bass ,Haibut, jumbo lump Chesapeake Bay Maryland or Virginia crab meat that Giant often does not have

Posted by: Aldi shopper for spices ()
Date: October 30, 2018 11:55PM

Aldi has got really good prices on spices. Useful if you fashion yourself a chef, and want to save some money. Spices aren't cheap.

Posted by: Fortnite ()
Date: October 31, 2018 06:55PM

chip guy Wrote:
> gong time Wrote:
> -----
> > Fair city is closing now. Soon there will be no
> > SFW's anywhere.
>
> It is changing to a Giant.

I thought that was going to happen at the Herndon and Alexandria locations only? To my understanding, Giant was planning a store nearby at Fairfax Circle. Perhaps, is Giant ditching those plans to open at said location in favor of this opportunity? Or will they take in both locations? Maybe this might not be even the correct retailer, if Shoppers is actually closing.

Posted by: Very True ()
Date: October 31, 2018 07:11PM

Aldi shopper for spices Wrote:
> Aldi has got really good prices on spices. Useful
> if you fashion yourself a chef, and want to save
> some money. Spices aren't cheap.

True. My days of spending $5.99 for McCormick branded spice from Giant or Safeway are over.

Posted by: Culinary Institute ()
Date: October 31, 2018 07:15PM

Lol! A chef who has to skimp on coarse ground pepper isn’t worth his salt.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: October 31, 2018 09:12PM

Completely Different Owners Wrote:
> Lidl is just Aldi spelled sideways

OK, that made me laugh! It is, almost...

I can't figure out why Giant is moving from Elden to the clock tower. Doesn't matter to me, but I always thought the Elden Street store was larger, and seemed busy. Not that I was in there that much.

I suppose they know what they're doing. Hopefully something good will go in where Giant was (please, not a Safeway).

Posted by: Giants Going In At The Circle ()
Date: October 31, 2018 09:16PM

>It is changing to a Giant.

Or is it all BS lol

Posted by: Benny Fits ()
Date: November 03, 2018 07:49AM

I miss Magruders.

Posted by: Happy memories... ()
Date: November 03, 2018 01:00PM

Magruder's had rotisserie ducks for like $15. How could you not want that?

Posted by: Love the in-store fried chicken ()
Date: November 08, 2018 12:21PM

Sadly, Magruder's went away. Happily for those of us near the Fairfax store, SFW isn't going away.

Posted by: SFW bagel liker ()
Date: March 17, 2019 07:43AM

3 Sundays in a row with no SFW ad in the WaPo. The beginning of the end for SFW has begun.

Posted by: trick pony ()
Date: March 17, 2019 10:36AM

Last time I was in there they were low on condoms. Some shelves were empty.

Posted by: Slavemaster Slim ()
Date: March 17, 2019 10:47AM

trick pony Wrote:
> Last time I was in there they were low on condoms.
> Some shelves were empty.

Nigs bought all the condoms.

Posted by: Niglets galore ()
Date: March 17, 2019 01:51PM

Unfortunately, they're not using them.

Posted by: cemu4 ()
Date: March 17, 2019 09:03PM

Fair City Mall Shoppers will close in July I'm told.

Posted by: cemu4 ()
Date: March 17, 2019 09:03PM

Fair City Mall Shoppers will close in July I'm told.

Posted by: AnthonyCumia ()
Date: March 18, 2019 04:15PM

I lived here for decades and only visited a couple times. Same with Bloom Lion or whateverthefuck it's called.

Posted by: W3KYG ()
Date: March 18, 2019 09:15PM

cemu4 Wrote:
> Fair City Mall Shoppers will close in July I'm
> told.

Are you the same one who was told it would be closing last August?

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.