HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I like school girls
Posted by: Socrates ()
Date: June 14, 2018 07:37AM

Season Two of The Handmaid’s Tale is Here on Hulu
By Daniela Sol

It is a hard task for a director and scriptwriter to properly interpret a book, especially when that book is a classic. Yet Hulu nailed it with its series of The Handmaid’s Tale. Fans of the book have religiously followed the series and have, overall, called the series a success.

What has spectators on their toes is the fact that season one covered the whole book and ended with the book’s same ending. So nobody really knows what’s going to happen in the upcoming season premiering on April 25th.

Created by Bruce Miller, the series has already won awards in both The Emmys and The Golden Globes, proving its fandom. The series has mostly been a favorite amongst women making it a monumental stepping stone for women’s rights.

The book itself was and has been a monumental symbol for women’s empowerment, and the series followed this theme and has the book’s loyal lovers even more captivated with everything The Handmaid’s Tale represents.

The uncertainty of the series and what Miller will bring forward to the table is intriguing. He has proven himself to understand what Atwood meant with her book, so it will be interesting to see what he has to further offer and show in the dystopian world of Gilead.

According to The Washington Post, what has fans pumped about the upcoming season is the fact that the book ends quite abruptly and readers are left with rage and lots of questions that only add to the infuriating injustice seen in Gilead. The need for justice in the story is craved.

With the show, people now can get all those questions (hopefully!) answered, or at least keep getting a taste of The Handmaid’s Tale.

The book lends itself to keep creating more, since Gilead is such a mystery and has so much more to give than what Atwood gives snippets of in her writing. It is safe to say that Miller has more than enough creative freedom and more than enough material to work with and keep crafting the successful series he has already started.

What is also crucial, for the season and the show, is the fact that it was released when the #MeToo movement was taking place in Hollywood. One of the book’s main themes is the use of women’s bodies as political instruments in the horrific way it is presented. This is a theme that is significantly relevant today since sexual harassment cases and allegations have, both in Hollywood and politics, sprung up and awakened a repressed voice amongst women, making the series a thousand times more symbolic than it already is.

The new season of The Handmaid’s Tale premiered this Wednesday, releasing two episodes, and will continue to release an episode weekly until January.

Dear Miss Sol,

I am a former student of CUA, so I feel I have something of a right to post here.

Although I address this to you, it is my hope that young MEN at your school will also read it.

Men, do you sometimes feel as if there's something very wrong going on, but you can't quite describe it? Do you sometimes feel attacked, accused, blamed, just for BEING MALE? Well, it's not your imagination.

There is indeed a vile trend in our society designed to emasculate and enslave you. Don't be suckered into drinking the politically correct kool aid. Don't let anyone get away with trying to rob you of your birthright as a man. Educate yourself independently, and guard your rights aggressively, because there IS in fact a conspiracy afoot to steal them from you.

Men, you can email me directly and I will send you links to antidotes against the poison that feminists are trying to shove down your throats.

Now I would like to turn back to Miss Sol: I hope we will not be talking "apples and oranges" here. I have read the novel, and saw the film version of A Handmaid's Tale, starring Robert Duvall.
I have not seen the Hulu version.

That said, I was struck by an incongruity in your review. You wrote, "One of the book’s main themes is the use of women’s bodies as political instruments in the horrific way it is presented."

Well, I'm just a dumb uneducated country boy, and you're clearly a superior, highly trained and educated girl, but I wonder, somehow, what your English professors might think about the structure of that sentence. Grammar aside, I have to take issue with your claim that the bodies were POLITICAL instruments.

Granted, it was "government" policy of a sort, but you seem to avoid the elephant in the room. The government had become a Theocracy, a religious dictatorship. These women were not political victims, but religious ones.

Now, I know absolutely nothing of you, but I would hazard a guess that you're a student at CUA, and a Catholic. If not, please excuse me. But if so, it would seem incongruous for you to heap praise on a television program that attacks theocracy.

Again, I'm just a humble uneducated man, but I had the impression that the Catholic church was one of history's most vicious and violent theocracy-promoting organizations, for centuries, throughout all of western civilization. Whether or not that is currently or recently the case, it can't be ignored.

I was also under the impression that the Catholic church is notorious for centuries of repression of women, and fascistic attempts to control human sexuality. Please excuse me if I'm wrong about this. I seem to remember something about people being excommunicated if they used condoms. I know, stupid, right? What sane organization would condemn you to hell for using common sense? I must just be confused. Please excuse me.

If I recall correctly, "handmaids" came about due to the fact that something was causing widespread infertility among the majority of the female population. Although the "solution" to this was forced, it was a survival necessity. Without new children, humanity would expire.

I think feminists would prefer to view the impressment of "handmaids" as a violent, salacious and singularly male rape act. In fact, according to what I read and saw, it was characterized as an unfortunate necessity.

Again, I'm just a simple ignorant guy, but I sort of remember their being something in the bible about Abraham and Sarah not being able to have any children. So, the slave Hagar was forced to have his kid. So, I'm wondering, if you're a religious person, why would you have any problem with the forced breeding that appears in The Handmaid's Tale?

You also touched on the "Me Too" trend in your article. In response, I would simply like to invite everyone, especially men, to carefully read beyond the headlines. Do some independent research, and use some common sense.

Look it up for yourself. Every year, the police report thousands and thousands of false claims of rape and assault made by women. This is simply fact. Take all this "me too" stuff with a grain of sand.

For all of human history, women have used their sexuality to profit from and manipulate men. For centuries, men have traded their wealth and influence to get sex. The violence goes in both directions.

Men don't show the wounds from the incessant verbal, emotional, mental and financial abuse by women. Men suck it up, because everyone, especially women, tell them to "be a man". Meanwhile, women demand to keep all the special privileges and treatment we've always given them, while at the same time demanding to be treated as equals to men! That is nonsense that is long overdue for the grave.

When men finally snap over the invisible abuse by women, suddenly everyone goes crazy. Not me, I'm never surprised.

Miss Sol, part of what caused me to respond to your article was something I read years ago. A prominent University had a very successful football team, until there were allegations by some girls that players had "sexually assaulted" them. Although there were no arrests, the university was pressured into a mandatory policy. All football team members were forced to attend special "classes" to "train" them not to sexually assault girls.

I found this interesting, in that there was no "mandatory" class for female cheerleaders, to train them not to be a sexual tease, not to provoke men to violence.

Femi-nazi types will here scream at me that NO violence is EVER justifiable. What they mean is, no violence against women. They're perfectly happy to enjoy the unearned benefits of the world, which were won based upon centuries of violence endured by men, starting right at the mouth of the cave, when he fought off beasts to protect the females and children......stretching throughout history, when men fought and worked to protect, feed, clothe and house women.

No, I do not relish the prospect of a world like that in A Handmaid's Tale. However, I also don't relish the imminent prospect of a world in which men are emasculated and punished for being the achievers that women have lived off of like parasites for centuries.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I like school girls
Posted by: Tom Sawyer ()
Date: June 14, 2018 09:28AM

Hey Socrates, go back to Ancient Greece, that shit is too long to read in modern America.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.