HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hillbilly Haven on rt 1
Posted by: pete1972 ()
Date: December 28, 2009 01:56PM

Did anyone here on FU ever go to Hillbilly Haven (or was it heaven) on Rt.1 in Lorton?

I'm assuming that it was a complete dive, but did it live up to the reputation of those of us in high-school in the mid 80's as the kind of bar that came straight out of the movie Road House?

When did it close? By the time I'd turned legal, I had forgotten about it and never went by to see if I could lose an eye in a broken bottle fight.

Where did they get their clientelle from during it's heyday (I didn't know of any rednecks in fairfax county in the 80's, even in Lorton)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hillbilly Haven on rt 1
Posted by: Hatemotor ()
Date: December 28, 2009 02:15PM

It was Hillbilly Heaven

It was owned by Donna Dixon's(Dan Ackroyd's wife) Dad,Roy Dixon

Roy was a dead ringer for Porky, (from the movie Porky's) acted like him too

Probably the most dangerous place in Lorton in the 80's,,lots of violence and shootings/stabbings

When Donna got famous starring in "Bosom Buddies" with Tom Hanks she ended up marrying Dan Ackroyd and they all moved to California

Donna's brother sold used cars on RT 1 in Hybla Valley,,,,his business card had a cartoon bull taking a shit with a circle around it and a line through it---"No bullshit car deals"

The Dixons were definately "all Lorton" yankee hating rednecks,,,and I mean that in the most positive possible way

Posted by: Rt 1 ()
Date: December 28, 2009 02:15PM

It was heaven. It was owned by Donna Dixon's dad, Earl. Donna is the wife of Dan Aykroyd and the hottie in Spies like Us.

Posted by: Hatemotor ()
Date: December 28, 2009 02:17PM

Thats right,,, the dads name was Earl, Roy was her brother

Posted by: Rt. 1 ()
Date: December 28, 2009 02:20PM

Hatemotor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats right,,, the dads name was Earl, Roy was her
> brother

Technically, they are both "Earl Roy." Big surprise there!

Posted by: dapjdj ()
Date: December 28, 2009 02:29PM

Way back in the day I worked for Roy Dixon when he was in the US Army, his assignment involved managing the new Non-Commissioned Officer's Club.

I believe he had an interest or was running the HH at the time.

On just about any day of the week, my degenerate alcoholic father would start at the Moose Lodge south of Lorton, gravitate to the HH and finish up the night at the "Green Leaf" restaurant.

Ahh, those were the days!!

Google Earth indicates the Green Leaf building is still there as are the trailers behind the property at the intersection of Frye Road and US #1.

After college, we would go to the HH for a beer every now and then, mostly during the day. It was a dump, not particulary scary in the early/mid 70s.

Posted by: John Doe ()
Date: December 28, 2009 02:37PM

The Dixons were definately "all Lorton" yankee hating rednecks,,,and I mean that in the most positive possible way.
What other way could it have been meant?

Posted by: Hayfield Hayseed ()
Date: December 28, 2009 05:17PM

pete1972 Wrote:

>
> Where did they get their clientelle from during
> it's heyday (I didn't know of any rednecks in
> fairfax county in the 80's, even in Lorton)?

I guess you didn't go to Hayfield.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: December 28, 2009 06:12PM

On a side note, this is Roy's business now.http://royroythewaterboy.com/. When I lived in Winchester, a couple of times Dan Aykroyd and Donna were the grand marshall's of the Apple Blossom parade. Dan, Donna, and her brother's family would walk around the festival

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Posted by: Hayfield Hatemotor ()
Date: December 28, 2009 07:15PM

Hayfield Hayseed Wrote:
> pete1972 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > Where did they get their clientelle from during
> > it's heyday (I didn't know of any rednecks in
> > fairfax county in the 80's, even in Lorton)?
>
> I guess you didn't go to Hayfield.

Im under the impression you dont know what a redneck is pete1972

I assure you Lorton was nothing BUT rednecks in the 70's and 80's,,,
and I mean that in the most positive way,,,,you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a long haired country boy,,,including myself for the record

Every car/pick-up truck on the road was blasting Lynyrd Skynyrd (usually Gold & Platinum on 8 track)
When you stopped at the 7-11 you'd hear guys greet each other with the loudest Rebel yells you ever heard and phrases like:
"Your damn straight!,,fuckin' a tweet,,Lorton rules muther fuckers! buncha Yankee ass bitches!"

It was great times

Posted by: Phorum ()
Date: December 28, 2009 07:20PM

but did you have a rebel flag covering the pickup's back window? another true test

Date: December 28, 2009 07:38PM

Hayfield Hatemotor Wrote:

> > I guess you didn't go to Hayfield.

Nope, Edison. We had grits, not rednecks

> Im under the impression you dont know what a
> redneck is pete1972

Actually, i'm quite familiar with a redneck. In a post-Jeff Foxworthy america, is there anyone who doesn't know what a redneck is? Jesus Christ, he wrote 4 books and had half a dozen HBO comedy hour specials where all he did was describe every possible quality of a redneck.

> I assure you Lorton was nothing BUT rednecks in
> the 70's and 80's,,,
> and I mean that in the most positive way,,,,you
> couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a long
> haired country boy,,,including myself for the
> record
>
> Every car/pick-up truck on the road was blasting
> Lynyrd Skynyrd (usually Gold & Platinum on 8
> track)
> When you stopped at the 7-11 you'd hear guys greet
> each other with the loudest Rebel yells you ever
> heard and phrases like:
> "Your damn straight!,,fuckin' a tweet,,Lorton
> rules muther fuckers! buncha Yankee ass bitches!"
>

And now you can't swing a dead cat and not see a beat to shit honda with a calvin pissing sticker, cheap chrome plastic, and a flame job/bullet holes/wolf ripping it's way out stickers, filled with a bunch of long haired south americans blasting "El Sol" (usually el mariachi on cd). When you stop at the 7-11 you'd hear phrases like "La Migra! Donde esta el Bano? Tenga el trabajo?"

So where did you guys migrate to? I know you're still in the area, because the blue collar comedy tour was at the patriot center a few weeks ago.

Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: December 28, 2009 08:10PM

Although I have a fairly nice home in FFXCO, nicer than the one I grew up in. I still wear flannel shirts with a tee shirt underneath (usually Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels, Blackfoot or 38 Special), jeans and boots.

My kids like country music and are growing up with superior values. No worries of my daughter getting knocked up early.

I still consider myself a redneck. And proud of it.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: December 28, 2009 08:45PM

I am still around...

I remember what was left of the HH and a few other redneck dives.

Grew up in the area, been here my whole life... And long before english was the second language...

Date: December 28, 2009 08:50PM

Bubba Wrote:

>
> My kids like country music and are growing up with
> superior values. No worries of my daughter getting
> knocked up early.
>
> I still consider myself a redneck. And proud of
> it.

Uh, if your kids have values and aren't going to be pre-teen parents, then by definition you're not a redneck. That's like claiming to be a pedophile but not being interested in children.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 28, 2009 09:07PM

pete1972 Wrote:
>
> Uh, if your kids have values and aren't going to be pre-teen parents, then by definition you're not a redneck.

Haha, I was going to say the same thing. Real rednecks take offense when their kids show signs of living a better life then them. It's an affront to the entire lifestyle.

Posted by: Ancient Local ()
Date: December 28, 2009 10:41PM

In high school, Sherry (Sherrie?) Dixon drove a white firebird or camaro with her name painted on the side in red.

Hillbilly Heaven had a lot of redneck fights.

Posted by: Route 1 ()
Date: December 29, 2009 01:01AM

I used to party at the apartments known as "The Woods" and "Woodside" back in the early 90's, shady places. I was "sneaking away" from my parents back then to see a guy I thought I liked. Bar J was next to Booth Feeds, and HH was right down the road, thinking back I shudder to think why I thought that was where I should hang out. It was nasty then, don't know how it is there now. But, damn, you could ALWAYS smell the trash incinerator, no matter the wind. There was a rumor that a little girl that had gone missing (I think Melissa Gordan) was kidnapped from Woodside by the maintenance man and ended up in the dumpster at the Sev on Rt 1. Bunch of sick fucks used to hang in that area, glad I finally I got outta there, bunch of low lifes.

Posted by: Wolf Trapper ()
Date: December 29, 2009 01:42AM

Posted by: JUT ()
Date: December 29, 2009 02:57PM

Go down Gunston Road. The rednecks are all still there. and they are wonderful

Posted by: curtis jewell ()
Date: June 12, 2010 11:52AM

It was Hillbilly Heaven Donna and Dan sang there sometimes I used to be there every weekend. Earl Dixon was a riot. His other daughter also made movies. Great place good people. Got a bad reputation from people that did not go there. Never saw any one shot there and very few fights. Loved it

Posted by: Leroy ()
Date: June 13, 2010 12:17AM

Anybody remember Hunter's Lodge?
Seriously, where did all the rednecks go?

Posted by: Well golllly ()
Date: June 13, 2010 02:40PM

Damn, western FFX, Chantilly was loaded with them and they've all moved to Loudoun County and help to make it feel just a little bit more like West Virginia.

Posted by: Sue Davis ()
Date: February 18, 2011 03:19PM

You should be proud to be a redneck.. Some people have the wrong definition of a true redneck.. He/she is none other than a hard workin, take no crap kind of person... Farmers were a true redneck.. 15 jours a day in the fields with the sun burnin' down on their necks, thus REDNECK... What this world needs is a few more REDNECKS! Charlie Daniels sings it well... LONG live the REDNECKS! =)

Date: February 18, 2011 03:54PM

TheMeeper = Shit Brown-Neck Morbidly Obese Queer

Posted by: Troll=Gay Denial ()
Date: February 18, 2011 07:53PM

Good old Troll...hoping you'd pick up some gay rough-trade construction workers on this thread?

Posted by: Moose ()
Date: June 10, 2011 12:46PM

While stationed in the army at Ft Belvoir in 1969, I worked as a part-time bartender for Earl Dixon at Dixon's Steak and Pizza. It was a small bar with beer, live music, topless dancers and pretty good food. There were some fights and someone shot the front window out, but nobody ever died that I recall. I do know that I had a ball working there, and got a big kick our out Earl. He gave me a phrase that I still use to this day: "There's an ass for every seat." He was referring to selling used cars, but it applies to a lot of things. RIP, Earl.

Posted by: Blast from the Past ()
Date: June 10, 2011 02:05PM

I remember my Mom going there on weekends when I was a kid. Telling me stories later about her and Donna Dixon they were good friends in high school etc. At one time it was def the place to be. that and my Dad telling me the other hot spot was the Roller Rink in Alexandria, he saw Ozzy play there once.. LOL

Posted by: wally pip jr. ()
Date: June 10, 2011 09:20PM

Man o' man that donna dixon was hot. Saw her a few times over at NVCC
what she see in that portly ackroyd fella?

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 10, 2011 09:40PM

so when exactly did the place close down? I remember only it being an abandonded place - the only time I went up to it, you could see and old Ms Pac Man and Asteroids inside of it................

Posted by: Kay ()
Date: June 11, 2011 08:37AM

Interesting that a local Fairfax County gal, Donna Dixon, has developed a posh British accent late in life. Really. Find recent interviews of her to listen. Weird and sad.

Posted by: blast from the past ()
Date: June 11, 2011 04:58PM

Kay Wrote:
> Interesting that a local Fairfax County gal, Donna
> Dixon, has developed a posh British accent late in
> life. Really. Find recent interviews of her to
> listen. Weird and sad.

Why weird and sad? Each to their own.

Posted by: Kay ()
Date: June 12, 2011 07:08PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zGRTWc_wHw

Click on link and giggle at Donna's faux accent.

Hilarious, weird and sad. So, so fake.

I stand corrected; she sounds Irish.

Posted by: wally pip jr. ()
Date: June 12, 2011 07:24PM

That sounds like her voice from way back only slower
bosom buddies gets an award! geezus shit this is why i gave up cable cause of the worthless shit these cable channels program these days
bosom buddies was okay but really man

that's an interesting scar she has above her eyebrow d8mn that canadian ackroyd

Posted by: Old Time Fart ()
Date: June 12, 2011 07:52PM

There was a place further north on Route One in Hybla Valley called Brooks Motor Lodge. Right in front of the trailer park. I used to go to Shakeys Pizza right next door for the very cold beer and great pizza. You could always count on seeing a fight in the parking lot of Brooks.

Back in the 60-70s there were quite a few genuine redneck bars on the highway. I havent been down that way in some time but the last time I went there they had all been torn down or changed into Mexican restaurants.

I was a regular at the strip clubs down there too. 1320 Club, One South, Electric Circus and another one whose name I forget off Arlington Drive in the small shopping center.

Date: June 12, 2011 09:20PM

I dunno about sounding irish or whatevers.......
but she certainly doesnt sound like somebody who's daddy owned a CountryWestern bar on Route One named "Hillbilly Heaven" in this interview, THAT'S FOR SURE!!!

LoLz

Posted by: Blast from the past ()
Date: June 13, 2011 09:45AM

Why is everyone so concerned about her voice? It has nothing to do with her as a person. She was always nice when I was younger. Her accent / voice is her business, not sure why your making a federal case about it.

Posted by: jonny loco ()
Date: June 13, 2011 07:02PM

what about JVs
rt 50 and graham rd?

Date: June 13, 2011 08:14PM

if two posts on a thread are a "Federal Case" to you, you really need to get out the house more, my friend............................................

Date: June 15, 2011 07:32AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> if two posts on a thread are a "Federal Case" to
> you, you really need to get out the house more, my
> friend............................................

Thank you but I get out enough, I was stating my opinion just like the rest of you.

Posted by: assbeef ()
Date: June 15, 2011 03:37PM

i worked for earl back in the day.
some of us came back unfortunately..............

Date: June 15, 2011 05:21PM

@Blast - ditto
LoLz

Posted by: usmarine7985 ()
Date: July 14, 2011 08:56PM

My grandmother owned hilbilly heaven before she sold it to Dixon, it was called Buck and Sues. It was a country store/grill/bar. My father was a bouncer for over 20 years at a couple of the country bars on Rt. 1, mostly at Christophers/Cow Palace(formerly green leaf) and Cavadoro's. There used to be tons of rough ass bars there. Alot of Marines at Hillbilly heaven on weekends. Alot of rednecks gettin there asses kicked.

Posted by: The Days ()
Date: July 14, 2011 10:11PM

Between the Roller Rink, Christophers/Cow Palace, Cavadoro's, Brooks Motor Lodge (the owner's son's name was Leon Brown if I remember correctly); and Hillbilly Heaven, you were guarantee a entertaining night! Those were the days that are sadly long gone. Now you go down Rt. 1 and you swear you crossed the U.S. border :(

Date: July 14, 2011 11:55PM

If this idiot President gets his way there won't be a border.

Posted by: Debbie Collie ()
Date: July 19, 2011 11:13PM

I was to young to get in Hillbilly Heaven but My uncle Shorty - Bill Loveless was there all the time - He worked for Earl at the car lot on in Stafford on Rt 1 and he use to tell us all kinds of stories about the bar - and there is where he meet and got to sing with Conway and his daughter and I remember all the kids and I know Earl has passed away and Roy is here in Wincheater - would love to see some pictures of the old place and that General Lee that use to be out front

Date: July 21, 2011 04:55AM

The Days Wrote:
> Between the Roller Rink, Christophers/Cow Palace,
> Cavadoro's, Brooks Motor Lodge (the owner's son's
> name was Leon Brown if I remember correctly); and
> Hillbilly Heaven, you were guarantee a
> entertaining night! Those were the days that are
> sadly long gone. Now you go down Rt. 1 and you
> swear you crossed the U.S. border :(

Wow that took me back to a long time ago ...LOL .... you left out breakfast at Toddle House or even Magic Skillet :) ..... Anyone remember the name of the hotel that used to across from Magic Skillet????

Posted by: mt v ()
Date: July 21, 2011 12:49PM

It was the Mt V motel. I miss Elsie and the Magic Skillet

Date: July 22, 2011 06:39AM

mt v Wrote:
> It was the Mt V motel. I miss Elsie and the Magic
> Skillet

LOL ....Thats right I never stayed there just remember when I was a kid I thought it was the biggest house I had ever seen.....

The M Skillet is still there though :)

I grew up on Rt 1 , I can remember when Beacon Mall was really a indoor mini mall, and Dixie Pig!!! LOL I use to tease my Mom because her nickname was Dixie... anyway

I can remember a bar my Dad would always go too, that is still there by were Toddle House use to be, It always changed Names LOL ...Last I recall it was Huggie Bears

The Drive Inn Movie Theater was the first time I saw my Favorite movie of all time

GREASE .....LOL

It is weird all the changes that have happened over the years, Route One when I was younger was not like it is now. As far as the crime etc believe it or not.

I can also recall every Sat night at 11pm my Aunt and I would always go meet her 2 BFF's for coffee and a doughnut ( Hot coco for me lol ) .... We would sit outside on the wall. You can't do that now :(

Posted by: mt v ()
Date: July 22, 2011 12:29PM

I'm grateful Krispy Kreme is still there.

Date: July 22, 2011 01:00PM

The bar by the toddle house was Winchesters...then Zeds. I grew up on rt. 1 also and remember the dixie pig. My mom also ran the snack bar at the drive in for years.

Posted by: Ray Price ()
Date: July 22, 2011 01:17PM

did a band called Heavy Country ever play Hillbilly Heaven I seem to remember that name from passing by Hunter's Lodge a lot

Anybody remember a gentleman named Mike Kelso(?) had a bookstore on route 1 for many years

Seems to me there was an article in the Washington City Paper a number years ago talking about the author trying to track down the original sign for the Dixie Pig and in his travels to find the sign he went to many of the places mentioned in previous posts

Posted by: Blast from the past ()
Date: July 23, 2011 02:42AM

I forget also about Penguin Feather....LOL , also there used to be a Dairy Queen that looked like the old ones from the 50's, across from Beacon Mall, which i also miss Poor Pauls pizza

Date: July 24, 2011 02:11PM

the penguin feather was across from cherry arms apartments. there were alot of head shops back then. Rainbow tree in annadale.

Posted by: BucknellTiger ()
Date: July 24, 2011 02:38PM

The Dairy Queen was actually a couple blocks south of the mall just past what was the Shaw Office building. The old man would drop that chocolate shell on the three-scooper like a champ. He had a little pull behind trailer on the same lot that he lived in at one point (at least that was the kid fable.) We used to load up there and then ride down to "The Desert" behind the phone company building on Popkins Ln. and ride our dirt bikes until the heads would chase us out of there.

The Zed's bar was owned by Dennis Maruk (called it Maruk's) for a while before anyone around here gave a damn about the Caps. You could catch some of the players there when they were in town-- good dudes. Where the Fast Eddie's is now used to be a little dive called Tim and Ikes? You could walk across Rt. 1 from the duck pin bowling alley that is now a textile shop.

Poor Paul's was my favorite greasy pie in the area and he always had decent video games. Right across the mall was the People's Drug where there were some other decent games, too. That was the choke point for kids (movie theater was right there too) and at one point they had to hire some half-ass mall cop to keep the kids from getting too rowdy.

Good stuff.

Date: July 24, 2011 03:01PM

Haha...I played for Bucknell in the late 60's early 70's. Then I coached there in the late 80's. I was there when James Funderburk integrated it with the kids from Gum Springs. Anyway...do you remember the walk in theater in Woodlawn that used to show midnight movies like..Jimi hendrix "rainbow Bridge", "the song remains the same", "Bambi vs. Godzilla" and "Reefer Madness"?

Date: July 24, 2011 04:07PM

No... you have me by a few years. I played in the late 70s and early 80s. Gum Springs had their own club at the Rec Center down there off of Fordson and Woodlawn had a team down at Walt Whitman (now the islamic school.)

It was pretty wild at Bucknell LL back then-- games and practices were at Bryant Intermediate. The trailer park kids walked through one hole in the fence back by the hill, the Cherry Arms kids walked through another hole in the fence on the upper level and the Mt. Vernon Sq. kids had another hole down in the outfield of the baseball field. Us Bucknell kids weaved through the back streets and cut through The Desert to the front door.

Quite a wild bunch of knuckleheads up there then, but the parents made it great for all of us. Ft. Hunt and LFFL had all the money but we didn't mind the smelly, mildewed jerseys and pants they crammed in that little closet inside Bryant. (we may have worn the same jerseys, 15 years apart.) The Tiger Bowl was the big game at the end of the year, with the winner taking home the big trophy and the loser taking that little mini, attendance trophy.

Date: July 24, 2011 04:18PM

I've coached at both Ft. Hunt and LFFL. Gum Springs used to be the Waynewood Wolverines until Funderburk moved the kids to Bucknell in '70 I think. Mr. Farmer was the commissioner at the time I played. I remember kicking money clubs asses, like the Vienna Raiders. Rt. 1 used to be a wild place.

Date: July 24, 2011 06:54PM

If that is the same Farmer that has the wild holiday decorations over in the neighborhood behind the Wendy's on Rt. 1, they were a great Groveton family. His son was also heavily involved in the local sports scene, and did a lot of coaching and sacrificing for the kids in his day. Really nice people.

When I was in the league the commissioner was Mr. Price (George?) He had a son named Ron who was a good ball player, and the mom did a lot for the league, too. A man named Livingston used to set up his PA system at the field and call every home game for every weight class. He knew all the kids names and really worked hard to make it a big deal for the players. Back then there were a lot of really good families who went all out for the kids... lots of great memories.

I think all the money kids from Hollin Hills, Belle Haven, Mason Hill, etc. are playing Ft. Hunt now, so the make-up of Bucknell (like a lot of things along Rt. 1) has changed drastically. We used to have a really good mix of everybody, but the neighborhoods have changed quite a bit.

Posted by: FunAndGames ()
Date: July 25, 2011 12:52PM

I dont remember the Midnight Movie. I was born in 1973. I think we lived everywhere on Rt 1 , Growing up I remember we has Apts at Buckman Road, Mt. Vernon Apts behind Alidi's, Beacon Hill, Mt Vernon Square ...LOL ... I remember going to Pre School at The Sondra B Moon Center, Then Mt Vernon Woods, then Groveton Elem... Like I was saying before I miss Old Beacon Mall, Drive-Inn, Dixie Pig, Godfather's Pizza though Poor Paul's was better LOL

Those were the days... Back then you didn't have to worry about crime the way you do now. I can remember is was nothing for my Mom and I to walk at night to Beacn Mall cutting through the back parking lot, It was kinda like everyone knew everyone...

I do remember though us kids were always afraid of this old guy who used to walk with a cane on the Hiway they called him " Old Man Walter" of course I found out later he was harmless ,,,,LOL

" It's all Fun and Games till Someone gets Hurt "

Date: July 25, 2011 04:11PM

Speaking of Rt. 1 characters... in the late 70's there was a big, albino black guy who used to wander up and down Rt. 1 near Beacon Hill with big, thick glasses on and a brown paper bag under his arm. We used to break his balls, yelling "REDBONE" (from a safe distance of course) and he would scream back "I'll kill you little mother f*ckers!"

Posted by: Big Mac ()
Date: July 25, 2011 04:14PM

Was a big sign out front "Not responsable for life or limb"

Posted by: how bout ()
Date: July 28, 2011 12:19PM

How about the old Hiedleburg (and the fire at Hiedleburg)

Posted by: Route 1 Mount vernon ()
Date: August 05, 2011 12:06AM

pete1972 Wrote:
> Did anyone here on FU ever go to Hillbilly Haven
> (or was it heaven) on Rt.1 in Lorton?
>
> I'm assuming that it was a complete dive, but did
> it live up to the reputation of those of us in
> high-school in the mid 80's as the kind of bar
> that came straight out of the movie Road House?
>
> When did it close? By the time I'd turned legal,
> I had forgotten about it and never went by to see
> if I could lose an eye in a broken bottle fight.
>
> Where did they get their clientelle from during
> it's heyday (I didn't know of any rednecks in
> fairfax county in the 80's, even in Lorton)?
Attachments:
photo.JPG
IMG_2616.jpg

Posted by: olddays ()
Date: August 05, 2011 01:06AM

Check out some of these articles about Hillbilly Heaven, there's a blog called NOVA: Our Redneck Past and features a lot of cool stuff about Fairfax way back when. Features info on old restaurants, clubs, the Pagans MC, and even articles about the KKK's involvement with hosting the Fairfax County Fair. Anyways here's some stuff about Hillbilly Heaven
http://ourredneckpast.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-hillbilly-heaven-earned-reputation.html

This was an article about someone who was searching for information about the old Dixie Pig in Alexandria. Talks about Hillbilly Heaven and Jim's Country Club as well
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/11150/lost-highway

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: August 05, 2011 06:00AM

History of Dixie Pig:

http://gwhsaa.com/st-dixie-pig.html

Also, a few years ago they were considering opening another one:

http://www.norvapics.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=99

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 06:02AM by Spacy.

Posted by: Mike Z. ()
Date: August 06, 2011 10:25PM

wrong info,, to My Recolection HILLBILLY HEAVEN was Oned by Donna,Roy,and Sherrie's Dad n mom, EARL and RUTH DIXON

Posted by: FunAndGames ()
Date: August 07, 2011 12:18AM

Mike Z. Wrote:
> wrong info,, to My Recolection HILLBILLY HEAVEN
> was Oned by Donna,Roy,and Sherrie's Dad n mom,
> EARL and RUTH DIXON

Your Recollection is right. But we had been talking about other Places on Richmond hwy, prob why they mentioned Dixie Pig :)

" It's all Fun and Games till Someone gets Hurt "

Posted by: git1 ()
Date: August 10, 2011 09:01PM

Hillbilly heaven played there many times,backed up Dan Aykroyd,Jonie twitty & mike
Twitty played there,Johny Paycheck played there,Marvin Rainwater,played there,his brother owned raiwater concreete on the hill behind HH .& yes there were fights at hh saw many,saw no shootings,

Posted by: Carol ()
Date: October 08, 2011 12:40PM

W ent to Hillybilly Heaven Many times in the 70's. Sang there a few times myself. Does anyone remember a local band called J C Slick and the Goodtimers?
Trying to find out what happened to those guys....any info, please respond. Thanks

Posted by: nick chams ()
Date: October 27, 2011 09:22AM

I used to go there when I was working in the area and loved the place. I got to know the Dixons and Sherrie. She was the reason I always went there! Her parents were great to me, watched Sherrie and Roy sing, and met Donna when she was back from Cali.

Sherrie and I used to play the Dig Dug game all the time!

Great memories and if anyone knows where Sherrie is, lets me know, Id love to say hello to her!

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 17, 2011 08:24PM

Old Virginia City, Partners Two, Hunters Lodge, Christopers, Hibilly Haven, Green Dolphin, Horse an Buggy, Travs, Clen Echo, Marshal Hall, Freestone, Clifton, just to name a few places you'd run into Patsy Cline, Arthur Godfrey, Roy Clark, Jimmy Dean, Lester Flatt, Carter's and I ain't talkin Jimmy Peanut, Stanley's just to name a few....I miss 'em... I miss being a cowboy... some people call it redneck....we call it country....was a great time to be old enough to enjoy simple pleasures....25 cents a beer....32 cents for a gallon of gas... 35 cents for a pack of smokes

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 17, 2011 08:37PM

Oh I almost forgot...the only gunplay I remember was when I blew the urnal off the wall unloading a friends Baretta...it was new just out, one I'd never seen before and he had one in the pipe....the rest is just spilled water on the floor pretty funny stuff....

Posted by: the ghost of Gordon blvd. ()
Date: November 18, 2011 05:20AM

Does anyone remember the old WNVT/WNVC tv channel 53/56 showing on Saturday nights a program that was filmed at Hunters Lodge? I seem to recall it was on air for several years in the 1980's.

Re: Earl Dixon
Posted by: Dr Smith ()
Date: November 25, 2011 04:16PM

FYI, Earl Richard Dixon, affectionately known as "Tubby," was a 1951 graduate of the old George Washington High School in Alexandria and a member of the varsity football team. He was known for his booming straight-on place kicking skills. Surely the largest guy on the team, "Tubby" was a lineman on both offense and defense, and was several times named to Virginia high school all-state rosters.

Posted by: Gordon's Blvd. ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:49AM

Will Tubby's kicking shoe show up on ebay anytime of Darling Donna is holding on to it

Posted by: Waqert ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:14AM

We all want to know

Posted by: e kesock ()
Date: January 02, 2012 08:31AM

iam 40 grewup in woodbridge va been here all my life went 2 h/h wasent even 17 had a great time love the area

Posted by: lounge lizard ()
Date: January 02, 2012 08:42AM

Back in the day route one was filled with redneck bars, now they are all hispanic. Same deal though lots of drinking and fighting, cops always around.

Posted by: Sunshine Parker ()
Date: January 17, 2012 04:37AM

God I loved that place. Used to go dancing there and listen to Country Music!

Posted by: Pearl ()
Date: June 01, 2012 09:01PM

Hello worked for Earl @ Dixon's & Hillbilly Heaven. Remember Donna out of High School & saw Roy Jr Play his music. Different times good & bad but still remember so much haha. Still remember Conway Twitty being there-George Jones--lots of great music. I worked @ Dixon's as a bar tender. Still remember the bikers coming in but I always loved people & all worked out. Very different times & people? I still think of the time there & glad I was there. Yes many rednecks ? just one enjoying life. I still remember being under the table @ Hillbilly's when all got their oats hehe. 66yrs old here & still love to hear the old

Posted by: alice ()
Date: August 21, 2012 05:59PM

He had money..and could get her jobs..just looks no talent

Posted by: LortonGirl ()
Date: November 27, 2012 09:45AM

Does anyone remember a band that played at HH in '89 or '90 called 4 Runner?
They were out of N. Carolina, I believe. The lead singer's name is Terry.
I have thought about him for 25 years.. lol

Posted by: Private Eye Guy ()
Date: November 27, 2012 09:46AM

LortonGirl Wrote:
> Does anyone remember a band that played at HH in
> '89 or '90 called 4 Runner?
> They were out of N. Carolina, I believe. The lead
> singer's name is Terry.
> I have thought about him for 25 years.. lol

Have you ever told him you had his kid?

Posted by: icu2 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 09:10PM

nod to our redneck past
Attachments:
This is the site of the famous honky tonk in Lorton. All that's left is a sign with 'H H' on it..jpg

Posted by: Bill Hayes ()
Date: November 28, 2012 10:02AM

It was a "no nigger" place. Nice. Earl made a fortune.

Date: November 28, 2012 11:24AM

nod to redneck intelligence

or success eitherway LoLz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 11:26AM by Gordon Blvd.
Attachments:
duh.jpg

Posted by: Red, White and Blue ()
Date: November 29, 2012 07:22AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> nod to redneck intelligence
>
> or success either way LoLz

Everything eventually dies.
Not a bad ass kicking joint of the time.
Real country music, a few broken noses and teeth.
The America I learned to love and hate.

Posted by: wenbsyiwll ()
Date: December 01, 2012 05:29PM

in fairfax?

Posted by: taintbreaker ()
Date: February 20, 2013 01:57AM

I work in lorton at the cardinal concrete off mims st. do any of you know Mr. Mims? alot of the old guys talk about those bars. specially HH I am from the wrong time period. Im very sure good times were had by all around here. if anyone has more stories or images please share. im only 24 and most of this was long gone when i came around. just to throw it out there im hispanic, but all the bs that gives us a bad name is exactly what I hate.
cheers!

Posted by: Jo Bob ()
Date: February 20, 2013 05:52PM

Posted by: FrogBard ()
Date: March 22, 2013 07:59PM

I remember the HH well. My mother was a performer there, and I was part of her act in the late 1970s.

Sherrie Dixon used to watch me, when Mom would perform. Always wondered how she was doing. I still remember riding around in her Trans-Am.

I remember the infamous bet between Kenny Price & one of the roadies, concerning chicken wings. HH ran out of chicken wings that night, and the roadie edged out Kenny- just barely.

I remember "Little" Jimmy Dickens, and the night I told all his jokes. He had to find me later & explain that I stole all his material.

I remember how I got paid in quarters- usually went all into the arcade games. They had a pinball machine that scared the crap out of me, as a little kid.

RIP Hillbilly Heaven, & RIP Earl Dixon. Those days are gone, forever. You live on in the memories of people who knew you.

-"Little" Archie Wayne

Posted by: Susie Decker ()
Date: April 07, 2013 10:41PM

Both my Parents worked there and at Pizza King. My dad was a musician, Vic Decker and my mom, Betty Decker was a waitress and she sang with my Dad. They did some great Johnny Cash and June Carter songs... like Jackson. I grew up there and I loved it! I always had a blast. Sundays you couldn't drink but they'd have jam sessions and one the families that would come there was the Saintmyer (sp?) family. They were good too. Not as bad as it's rep. Great place to have a good time. Loved seeing the stars Earl would get in. Very cool. Does anyone remember Chuck Fullen? Chuck fullen and the chuckettes LOL OMG... what great memories i have of that place. Earl was Big Daddy to me. My older sister and Donna were good friends. Knew Sherrie and Roy was a hot mess back in the day. We were kids and we'd tease him and ask if he was having a baby elephant and he'd say "Yea.. want to see it's trunk?" hahaha I could go on and on....

Posted by: Susie Decker ()
Date: April 07, 2013 11:11PM

Here's some good memories!! I hope you all enjoy them!
BTW... does any one know what happened to the drummer Little Robbie?
Attachments:
Dad & Jimmy @ Pizza King 1972.jpg
Larry Black.jpg
Peggy Sue & Harvey. bk, Mom & Earl Dixon@ Hillbilly Heaven 1972.jpg
Roy Dixon.jpg

Posted by: Long Gone ()
Date: April 08, 2013 09:44AM

How long are you toothless, redneck losers going to obsess over this place? It's been gone for years. Get a life and let it go already!

Posted by: Roughbook ()
Date: April 09, 2013 12:46AM

Hillbillies GOOD.

Government overspending BAD.

Posted by: ChrisB ()
Date: August 14, 2013 09:02PM

Does anyone remember the Dixie Pig restaurant? My grandmother lived in Alexandria and I would get dragged there in the early 70's by my father.

Posted by: BBQ ()
Date: August 15, 2013 06:50AM

Does anyone remember a BBQ place that I went to once in 1982? It was good but I don't remember the name.

Posted by: Forgetful but not yet senile ()
Date: August 15, 2013 06:55AM

ChrisB Wrote:
> Does anyone remember the Dixie Pig restaurant? My
> grandmother lived in Alexandria and I would get
> dragged there in the early 70's by my father.

Yes, I remember. Your father was a very intelligent man but you were a little shit.
And Dixie Pig was a fine food establishment.

Posted by: 2252me1 ()
Date: August 15, 2013 04:19PM

It burned down.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.