HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Divorce help
Posted by: Need some advice ()
Date: April 21, 2018 12:07PM

Looking for some advice. I need to file for divorce. It should not be too complicated. No kids, but property. The lawyers I spoke to want $4000 or so retainer. I don't have that. How can I file for divorce at a reasonable cot. I can come up with money over time, just not up front.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Divorce help
Posted by: DIY ()
Date: April 21, 2018 12:24PM

Posted by: Legal Help ()
Date: April 21, 2018 02:10PM

Put the retainer on a credit card. Pay off the credit card over time. You need to file NOW and you need a lawyer.

You can also withdraw from your 401k to pay legal expenses. Money withdrawn from 401k is money your ex-wife won't get.

Posted by: Early Morning Lawyer ()
Date: April 21, 2018 02:47PM

Forget LegalZoom. Their products are mediocre at best.

If you have an simple uncontested divorce, then $4,000 is high. There are a number of lawyers in this are that will do it for two or three. Further out you may find lawyers that will still do it for fifteen hundred. That is for cases which truly are simple uncontested divorces. If there was in in house separation, if your spouse is unwilling to sign the necessary documents, if there is property that needs to be transferred or if either party is asking the court to determine property division, support or child custody and visitation, it is not a simple uncontested divorce.

If you don't want to spring for a lawyer and you are in Fairfax, there is a FREE pro se divorce package available on the Fairfax County website that provides good instructions plus most of the forms you will need to get divorced in Fairfax. It even includes sample questions for the divorce hearing. You may need to get the VS4 form from the clerk because I don't think Vital Statistics will accept a copy. ONLY USE THIS PACKAGE IF YOU ARE A VIRGINIA RESIDENT AND FILING THE DIVORCE ACTION IN FAIRFAX. Local practices differ.

Posted by: 6uehg ()
Date: April 21, 2018 02:48PM

You will get no help at all from court personnel if you try the DIY path. Get a lawyer somehow.

Posted by: scratching head ()
Date: April 21, 2018 02:52PM

How can you not have 4000 bucks? You have bigger problems than just a broken marriage.

Posted by: DIY ()
Date: April 21, 2018 06:47PM

The Fairfax Circuit Court has published a document to help Pro Se (i.e. People without a lawyer) do it themselves.

See Pro se Divorce Procedures In the link below.
https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/circuit/sites/circuit/files/Assets/Documents/PDF/pro-se-divorce-procedures-brochure.pdf

Other info is at https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/circuit/civil-case-information/divorce

This manual explain some other court procedures.
http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts/circuit/resources/manuals/cc_manual_civil/table.pdf

Beware of any attorney attempting to create a conflict between you & your Spouse. only they will profit from this.

Posted by: Cheapskate ()
Date: April 21, 2018 07:00PM

Just stay with the bitch. It will be a lot cheaper.

Posted by: Talk smack < Back it up ()
Date: April 21, 2018 07:07PM

scratching head Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How can you not have 4000 bucks? You have bigger
> problems than just a broken marriage.
Well if $4,000 is such a pittance to you, maybe you could anonymously just give her the money to pay her lawyer...Just sayin'.

Posted by: Fairfaxiscraphole ()
Date: April 21, 2018 07:29PM

Take your spouse on a hike....

Posted by: Easy to do ()
Date: April 21, 2018 08:13PM

I had an attorney draw up a document outlining property settlement and then did a pro se divorce. I probably could have done the entire thing myself (spouse cooperated). Very easy and it felt even better it didnt cost too much. Lawyers want to make controversy so it costs more.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: April 21, 2018 08:31PM

> Beware of any attorney attempting to create a
> conflict between you & your Spouse. only they will
> profit from this.

This is what they do in all realms of our lives. We don’t make a move unless we’ve considered what our lawyer would say.

Posted by: Pro se ()
Date: April 22, 2018 08:16AM

Pro se cases have an idiot for a client.
Get an attorney u faggot

Posted by: But this... ()
Date: April 22, 2018 09:19AM

scratching head Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How can you not have 4000 bucks? You have bigger
> problems than just a broken marriage.

-That's probably why she's getting a divorce. Husband probably got some money issues

Posted by: Divorce help ()
Date: April 22, 2018 09:54AM

Any references for a reasonably priced attorney for a consultation. I have a good job and make a reasonable income, I just don't have many thousands up front. Husband and I need to divorce, but it should be relatively simple. I just don't want get taken advantage of. I don't think he will do that, but I am not sure of all the questions to ask. Thanks for the help.

Posted by: Vm36u ()
Date: April 22, 2018 10:15AM

Posted by: Rick the lawyer ()
Date: April 22, 2018 10:48AM

Go to the courts website, someone on this thread already posted the links. Read the instructions and do it yourself. I filed all the paperwork when I went through my divorce no problem.

Posted by: divorced2 ()
Date: April 22, 2018 12:00PM

The Adams divorce kit is available at office depot. Step by step instructions very similar to turbo tax, 32 bucks and you will need some printer paper and ink.

Posted by: Financing Options ()
Date: April 22, 2018 03:00PM

It is amazing that people who have no problem figuring out how to get thousands of dollars to spend on what they want, cannot figure out how to get thousands of dollars to spend on things they need. Own your car free and clear? If so you can takes out a loan against it. Are you a member of a credit union? Many will offer personal loans. Have an IRA? You can use the sixty day rollover rule to take out a short term loan. Have a credit card? You can take out a cash advance. If you cannot raise the entire amount the lawyer wants, maybe you can negotiate a lower retainer in reurn for a higher hourly rate.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.