HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What's the best course of action when dealing with a family member with substance abuse problems?
Posted by: itjiorj3iogj ()
Date: March 15, 2018 06:39PM

My son is 25 and lives at home with me. He abuses opioids and was diagnosed with depression a few years back. Ever since then he hasn't been able to work. He's been arrested quite a few times for domestic violence and I haven't mustered up the courage to kick him out. If I were to kick him what do you suppose would happen? Does fairfax county have resources for people like this? I feel kind of stupid for not kicking him out and I also feel like crap for kicking him out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the best course of action when dealing with a family member with substance abuse problems?
Posted by: DE9TH ()
Date: March 15, 2018 06:42PM

Expensive private rehab.

Re: What's the best course of action when dealing with a family member with substance abuse problems?
Posted by: That's a Pickle ()
Date: March 15, 2018 06:55PM

Well, let me tell you something. He will die if he doesn't kick the habit ..only a matter of time.

This disorder causes the individual to push the boundaries. The tolerance level builds up and they want to take it further. At some point, that boundary is near death. Death will come ..they have a bad day, take a high dose, pain no more.

Posted by: only choice ()
Date: March 15, 2018 07:01PM

call chantilly detox.......

Posted by: i suppose ()
Date: March 15, 2018 07:03PM

That's a Pickle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, let me tell you something. He will die if
> he doesn't kick the habit ..only a matter of
> time.
>
> This disorder causes the individual to push the
> boundaries. The tolerance level builds up and
> they want to take it further. At some point, that
> boundary is near death. Death will come ..they
> have a bad day, take a high dose, pain no more.

This is what I am most concerned about? So the best course of action would be to kick him out I suppose. He has pretty much made the entire household toxic and pretty much everyone is past the feeling sorry phase. But then again it goes back to my original question, what normally happens to these people once they're homeless?

Posted by: That Demon ()
Date: March 15, 2018 07:15PM

i suppose Wrote:
> That's a Pickle Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, let me tell you something. He will die
> if
> > he doesn't kick the habit ..only a matter of
> > time.
> >
> > This disorder causes the individual to push the
> > boundaries. The tolerance level builds up and
> > they want to take it further. At some point,
> that
> > boundary is near death. Death will come ..they
> > have a bad day, take a high dose, pain no more.
>
> This is what I am most concerned about? So the
> best course of action would be to kick him out I
> suppose. He has pretty much made the entire
> household toxic and pretty much everyone is past
> the feeling sorry phase. But then again it goes
> back to my original question, what normally
> happens to these people once they're homeless?

They become street junkies..just hustling for a daily fix or become street walkers. Around these parts though, you can bet it's a friend that supplies him with pharmaceutical opioids..money gets tight they move to heroin.

End game here is death, prison or bumming.

Posted by: Help for you ()
Date: March 15, 2018 09:51PM

Lots of rehabs in South Florida, many would say sketchy, but if you can find one that takes your insurance at least you will get a break. My son went two years ago and it's worked for us. Try Delray Beach area-Recovery Boot Camp.

Dont worry about all the negative publicity of the fraudulent rehabs, there are decent ones that want to help. My son likes living there now, the people are nice and it's much better than being in northern Virginia. Full disclosure-my son has been around a lot of people dying, so it can be scary.

Posted by: Hrfilt ()
Date: March 15, 2018 10:15PM

What a tough position to be put in.

I am sorry you have to deal with this and hope the best for you and your family.

It is a beautiful and sad world we live in.

Posted by: Nihilist ()
Date: March 15, 2018 11:09PM

Buy him a Glock. Self-inflicted Execution. If he doesn't appreciate life enough to live it to it's fullest then he can check out. The Glock would be less painful than an OD.And far cheaper on your wallet.Depression is his excuse for weakness. It is not the cause of his Drug abuse do not believe that lie. He was just weak when he should have been strong.

Posted by: Most ODs are suicides ()
Date: March 15, 2018 11:57PM

Most ODs are suicides.
Too much $$$ to investigate it as a homicide.
Drugs are used to self medicate.
Now there’s Fentanyl in heroin.
Neighbors son on my street died from pain pills.
I don’t live in Chicago or SE DC.

Posted by: JEB9U ()
Date: March 16, 2018 12:07AM

i suppose Wrote:
> That's a Pickle Wrote:
> -----
> if
> > time.
> >
> that
>

So you are just ignoring the rehab suggestions?

Posted by: tough love ()
Date: March 16, 2018 04:31AM

itjiorj3iogj Wrote:
> My son is 25 and lives at home with me. He abuses
> opioids and was diagnosed with depression a few
> years back. Ever since then he hasn't been able to
> work. He's been arrested quite a few times for
> domestic violence and I haven't mustered up the
> courage to kick him out. If I were to kick him
> what do you suppose would happen? Does fairfax
> county have resources for people like this? I feel
> kind of stupid for not kicking him out and I also
> feel like crap for kicking him out.

Buy him a military style duffle bag so he can fill it with his clothes and toiletries. Give him 500 dollars in 20 dollar bills. Drive him to Front Royal and drop him off downtown. Explain to him you wish no further contact with him and if he comes near your house you will call the police. Don't let this kid ruin your life, it's not your fault.

Posted by: Already tried ()
Date: March 16, 2018 05:10AM

JEB9U Wrote:
> i suppose Wrote:
> -----
> > That's a Pickle Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Well, let me tell you something. He will die
> > if
> > > he doesn't kick the habit ..only a matter of
> > > time.
> > >
> > > This disorder causes the individual to push
> the
> > > boundaries. The tolerance level builds up
> and
> > > they want to take it further. At some point,
> > that
> > > boundary is near death. Death will come
> ..they
> > > have a bad day, take a high dose, pain no
> more.
> >
> > This is what I am most concerned about? So the
> > best course of action would be to kick him out
> I
> > suppose. He has pretty much made the entire
> > household toxic and pretty much everyone is
> past
> > the feeling sorry phase. But then again it goes
> > back to my original question, what normally
> > happens to these people once they're homeless?
>
> So you are just ignoring the rehab suggestions?

I've already tried and he fails to seek professional help. Not much else I can do.

Posted by: Crazy place ro seek help ()
Date: March 16, 2018 06:22AM

You are in the wrong place if you seriously seeking help for you drug addicted son.

Posted by: ddwjt ()
Date: March 16, 2018 03:33PM

Darwin at work in the 21st century. Culling the weak from the herd.

Posted by: Counselor Dave ()
Date: March 16, 2018 03:48PM

You realize you have to get him out.

At some point - if not already - they start pilfering goods from the house for funds to support the habit. Then there's outbursts, potential for violence etc... Folks he may have ripped off could come to your house. Sounds like you may have had some of that already.

Like locking people up...it's not always about fixing them as much as it is keeping them from victimizing more people, in this case inside your house.

It's possible but unlikely that it could be a wakeup call for him. This is a genetic condition that rarely ends well. Those that break out of it fight to stay away from it, but many succumb. He's old enough to understand the choices but you have to decide how much of his choices from here forward you are going to be exposed to.

Posted by: counselor 4 ()
Date: March 18, 2018 01:32PM

As a professional counselor, I can tell you what to do. You need to kick him out of the house and turn your back on him. This is the tough love approach and is recommended by the ACA and also the DHHS.

Posted by: a dad 2 ()
Date: March 18, 2018 02:32PM

tough love Wrote:
> itjiorj3iogj Wrote:
> -----
> > My son is 25 and lives at home with me. He
> abuses
> > opioids and was diagnosed with depression a few
> > years back. Ever since then he hasn't been able
> to
> > work. He's been arrested quite a few times for
> > domestic violence and I haven't mustered up the
> > courage to kick him out. If I were to kick him
> > what do you suppose would happen? Does fairfax
> > county have resources for people like this? I
> feel
> > kind of stupid for not kicking him out and I
> also
> > feel like crap for kicking him out.
>
>
> Buy him a military style duffle bag so he can fill
> it with his clothes and toiletries. Give him 500
> dollars in 20 dollar bills. Drive him to Front
> Royal and drop him off downtown. Explain to him
> you wish no further contact with him and if he
> comes near your house you will call the police.
> Don't let this kid ruin your life, it's not your
> fault.

This is good advice he can afford a couple weeks at a cheap motel and hopefully get some type of job. Spring is coming and if he ends up homeless for awhile he will survive it. This might be what turns his life around.

Posted by: God only One that saves us ()
Date: March 18, 2018 03:32PM

pray, find a program for him to go into, and find a place far from his junky friends for him to live straight...

the "friends" always pull them back in

Posted by: god believer 38 ()
Date: March 18, 2018 05:04PM

Yes, God is the answer to this. Also, maybe try to get him a job maybe over at Arthur Treacher's. They have a good substance abuse program for employees.

Posted by: eieio ()
Date: March 18, 2018 07:33PM

You won’t be able to help him with his problem until you deal with your problem first. You are a classic “enabler” And your loving him into an early grave. Call Chantilly detox with another poster recommended and go to Al-Anon for yourself. This is 32 years of recovery speaking to you. God bless.

Posted by: ND9VW ()
Date: March 18, 2018 07:36PM

Get him to a doctor and into a rehab program.....we lost a family member to this and he was only 25 years old.

Posted by: UUHKG ()
Date: March 18, 2018 07:43PM

I can see that you've already decided to toss the poor kid out onto the street. I'm glad you're not my dad. I hope you don't spend the rest of your life second-guessing your decision from the day you get 'the call' until the day you die.

Posted by: Howdy Doo ()
Date: March 18, 2018 10:05PM

UUHKG Wrote:
> I can see that you've already decided to toss the
> poor kid out onto the street. I'm glad you're not
> my dad. I hope you don't spend the rest of your
> life second-guessing your decision from the day
> you get 'the call' until the day you die.

This guy uuhkg is a complete rectal sphincter. Ignore.

Posted by: UUHKG ()
Date: March 18, 2018 10:16PM

Howdy Doo Wrote:

> This guy uuhkg is a complete rectal sphincter.
> Ignore.

I am not.

Posted by: Your Too Late ()
Date: March 18, 2018 10:54PM

Good hard slap across the face, you should have done it when he was younger

His mold is made, with liberals help. There's no hope for him, it will be what it will be. Rehab ? That's a laugh, he will have to find himself, if he receives Jesus in his heart as so many others in his shoes have done he will pull through on his own

Hes way too weak to find his own soul. Don't you be weak , know what's the final
outcome and let him know, tell him you love him , but he's got to realize he's the only one who can change his life for the better

Never vote for a Democrat again! And BTW is Jesus in your heart ? If Not That's his problem!

Posted by: Your Late But Its Not Over ()
Date: March 18, 2018 11:05PM

Accept the Lord Jesus and bring him to your son, Its never too late, The Lord is always with you, you don't have to be in a church to find him.
Attachments:
acceptlordJesus.jpg

Posted by: call the fake doctor ()
Date: March 18, 2018 11:14PM

You should call the number from the commercial with the guy with a beard, glasses and wearing scrubs. He seems reputable.

Posted by: Real Answer ()
Date: March 19, 2018 01:07AM

Yes, call the Fairfax County Community Services Board (CSB). They can point you in the right direction. It isn't easy - but there are many medically assisted treatments for opiate addiction. Good Luck.

Posted by: BIGPHARMA ()
Date: March 19, 2018 06:40AM

DON'T DO ANYTHING. WE NEED PEOPLE LIKE HIM SO WE CAN CONTINUE TO FUND REPUBLICAN SUPER PACS AND MAKE TAX DEDUCTABLE DONATIONS TO THE NRA.

Posted by: Jesus saves ()
Date: March 19, 2018 06:51AM

Your Late But Its Not Over Wrote:
> Accept the Lord Jesus and bring him to your son,
> Its never too late, The Lord is always with you,
> you don't have to be in a church to find him.

I agree. Godvan deliver him from his addiction, but your son himself must want help. A friend of mine was a druggie and refused to move out on his own. His parents were scared to kick him out thinking he would die homeless. He continued in his ways and died while doing drugs in his parents' basement. Please give him the choice of going through a faith based rehab program or living on the streets. Be gentle but firm You MUST follow through. I will pray for your son and for you. Please follow through.

Posted by: God can ()
Date: March 19, 2018 06:53AM

God can*

Posted by: good luck ()
Date: March 19, 2018 10:24AM

i suppose Wrote:
> That's a Pickle Wrote:
> -----
> if
> > time.
> >
> that
>

I am sorry for you and your son - addiction is a horrible disease. I suggest you go to a Nar-Anon meeting TODAY http://www.nar-anon.org/. You are not alone and others have lived through this pain as a parent and you can get support and advise there from those who know. My guess is they will tell you the only thing you have control over is YOUR life and how you choose to live it. If you feel its best for YOU to keep your son home you will. If he is dragging you down you may need to consider letting him go.

You are in no way in control of your son or his addiction. Only your son can save himself now. He needs to go to NA meetings, get a sponsor and follow the program. He may need to go into rehab before during or after NA https://na.org/

Be strong and make sure to think about your health and the health of those around your son. Pray. Act.

http://www.nar-anon.org/

Posted by: Barry Cade ()
Date: March 19, 2018 10:49AM

Muster up the courage.

Damn people having children who have no inkling of how to raise kids, thus the incredible amount of snowflakes who live in their parents basement shooting up heroin!
Look, most likely he will die of a heroin overdose. If he dies in your home you will feel it's your fault for not taking a stand.
If you kick him out you will feel bad, thinking you caused his death. But he's the one at fault and he must want to change.
He will not come to that realization if he thinks he has his parents permission to live in their house and abuse drugs, therefore you must show him the door and only allowed back when he has kicked the habit.

You must act like parents instead of enablers.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.