HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Speedometer calibration?
Posted by: John S ()
Date: March 05, 2018 08:09PM

Does anyone know of any places in northern VA to get my speedometer calibrated? When you get it calibrated does it show how much it was off? Or do they just give you a receipt for it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speedometer calibration?
Posted by: Gassy.McWrench ()
Date: March 05, 2018 08:24PM

Bring it on over to Cardinal Plaza Shell in Springfield at Old Keene Mill and Rolling Roads. We're not the cheapest, we're not the most expensive...we're just the best.

The technician can tell you how much it is off by (the variance typically expands as your actual speed increases) and will present you with a certificate showing that your speedo has been correctly calibrated.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: March 05, 2018 08:25PM

I do not, and it might be more ambitious than you want to be, but there are devices, such as https://yellr.com/index.htm , that allege to make it easy.

Or just buy a GPS and use that to measure your actual speed. My primary vehicle over-reads by a couple of MPH at 60. I figure this is actually mostly good, keeps me from speeding quite as much as I think I am. Yes, it's bad in terms of warranty coverage, but I don't put a lot of miles on--my warranties run out from time, not mileage.

Date: March 05, 2018 08:36PM

Well it’s to defend against a reckless driving case. I’d like somewhere that can help me out the most.

Posted by: wally ()
Date: March 05, 2018 10:46PM

Are you going to say that your speedometer was off and that's why you were driving so fast?

Posted by: JLackey ()
Date: March 05, 2018 10:50PM

John S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well it’s to defend against a reckless driving
> case. I’d like somewhere that can help me out
> the most.

You are a fool and the judge will cut you off and hold you in contempt if you try that shit.

Posted by: sorightsorightsoright ()
Date: March 05, 2018 10:52PM

JLackey Wrote:
> John S Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well it’s to defend against a reckless
> driving
> > case. I’d like somewhere that can help me out
> > the most.
>
>
> You are a fool and the judge will cut you
> off and hold you in contempt if you try that shit.

That means DO IT!

Date: March 05, 2018 10:55PM

Even if your speedometer was off it's still your fault for speeding.

Posted by: stupid dmv ()
Date: March 05, 2018 11:11PM

This old gag doesn't work. The speed the cops claim allows for the variance in speedometers.

It's fun trying to contest it but you'll be allowed this courtesy only once. Next time you'll be laughed out of court.

Date: March 05, 2018 11:16PM

I never said I wasn’t at fault or that my speedometer is off. I was told to do this by many people including my attorney so unless you know what you’re talking about then keep your “professional opinion” to yourself. All I asked was a good place to get my speedometer calibrated for cheap.

Posted by: fjx6k ()
Date: March 05, 2018 11:33PM

Gassy.McWrench Wrote:
> Bring it on over to Cardinal Plaza Shell in
> Springfield at Old Keene Mill and Rolling Roads.
> We're not the cheapest, we're not the most
> expensive...we're just the best.
>
> The technician can tell you how much it is off by
> (the variance typically expands as your actual
> speed increases) and will present you with a
> certificate showing that your speedo has been
> correctly calibrated.

shut the fuck up

go troll your free ads on some other forum

if your not paying, piss off

Posted by: Let OP goto court ()
Date: March 06, 2018 06:36AM

Bet OP is the same poster asking bout emissions bc when he got pulled over for speeding, Po po saw he had expired tags and he told him that it was bc of emissions....
That speed calibration bullshit don’t work no more.
It’s equivalent to morons to say to disconnect battery before emission checks.

Good luck retard!
Attachments:
7E1ADE82-A55D-4810-A06B-280B286C57BC.jpeg

Posted by: johnny-b-goode999 ()
Date: March 06, 2018 06:59AM

Get a lawyer. I didn't have to show up to court. Carlos Wall got me pled down to simple speeding. Worth the cost. They can request a continuance until after your insurance renewal date also. They offer free consultation and also told me spedo calibration wouldn't do much good. In VA only lawyers are allowed to negotiate with the Commonwealth's Attorney, not defendants.

Date: March 06, 2018 04:41PM

I’ll admit, it was pretty retarded to speed like that. I do have a lawyer, they said that I should take a driver improvement class, reckless driving class, and speedo calibration should help at least a little

Posted by: UWYYT ()
Date: March 06, 2018 05:08PM

You are not going to get the speedometer calibrated, you are going to get the speedometer accuracy verified.

What you will likely find is the speedometer is either correct or it over reports unless the vehicle tire size has been altered and larger diameter tires have been installed.

Most German and for that fact European cars over state the vehicle speed typically 4-9% However, the odometers are dead correct.

You can get an OBDII tool and compare the Vehicle Speed to what the speedometer reports, the Vehicle Speed reported by the OBDII port should be accurate unless the overall tire diameter has been altered from the stock size. You can also get GPS Speedometer Apps for your phone that you can compare the speedometer read out to the GPS App.

Good luck, bet your speedometer does not under read and even if it does, you will be asked if you have ever noticed that you were always passing traffic around you!

Posted by: driver 21 ()
Date: March 06, 2018 05:59PM

In this day and age, if you drive a car that needs to have its speedometer verified, you are a piker.

Get a new fucking car. Jesus.

Date: March 06, 2018 06:00PM

So what do you guys suggest? My lawyer told me to go ahead and do it.

Posted by: DKC3T ()
Date: March 06, 2018 06:13PM

John S Wrote:
> So what do you guys suggest? My lawyer told me to
> go ahead and do it.

Your lawyer is just too stupid to know that any car that any car built since 1996 should have a pretty accurate speedometer.

He is also just wasting your time so you use his time because he charges by the hour. The more time he speaks with your or reviews paperwork you provide, the more you get charged.

Get a GPS Speedometer App for your phone, there are MANY free ones. Find a flat road and drive a constant speed and compare your displayed speedometer value to the GPS Speedometer App. Unless your speedometer is slow by 4-8 MPH, which it should not be if the tires are the original size, then the is no use getting "official" documentation that states how close the speedometer actually is.

Why spend money if there is not a problem!

If the speedometer is off, it needs to be corrected for court anyway, and most modern vehicles this will be with getting the proper size tires back on the vehicle.

Now if you want to game the system, you get/borrow wheels and tires that have a larger overall diameter/circumference, install them on your car and find out how much the speedometer reads slow, you clearly need at least 5 MPH, but 10+ MPH would be better, this will be a BIG tire size difference. Then get the speedometer verified by a shop with documentation. Then put the original wheels/tires back on and get the speedometer verified that is correct with documentation.

Then you have BEFORE and AFTER evidence to provide your lawyer and the court. Not an ethical way to proceed but a way to proceed.

What make, model and year is your vehicle?

Posted by: Here.Comes.The.Judge! ()
Date: March 06, 2018 07:09PM

driver 21 Wrote:
> In this day and age, if you drive a car that needs
> to have its speedometer verified, you are a piker.
>
>
> Get a new fucking car. Jesus.

No. How about fuck YOU instead?

'69 Judge here...my sled hasn't had a speedo in 33 years. I learned long ago what speeds are at what revs and shift accordingly. Not a single speeding ticket.

Date: March 06, 2018 09:16PM

Well that’s not the case. My lawyer charges a flat rate for reckless driving cases. I just want to know everything I can do to minimize the charge as much as possible. Even if it’s sometbing small that will help. I appreciate all the input by the way giys

Date: March 06, 2018 11:05PM

You are responsible for keeping your vehicle in safe, working order. If your speedometer is off it's your own fault. I was a cop for 12 years and went to court many, many times on people contesting their speeding tickets, etc. Having your speedometer verified meant absolutely nothing to the prosecutor or the judge. It's a waste of time and money. Just save your money to pay your fine.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.