HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Property Tax Assessment Up $35,000 for 2018
Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: February 21, 2018 02:37PM

I know we pay a percentage of that, but still, county has to be happy. Think of all the teachers who can now get a raise. Or section 8 housing with luxuries, or, or, or...

But somehow, the grass median on Braddock Road will never get cut until 4 ft tall, and the BOS will cry they still don't have enough money. Who else got your 2018 assessment in the mail today?

Looks like they were drafted on 2/20/18 and mailed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Property Tax Assessment Up $35,000 for 2018
Posted by: MHEU9 ()
Date: February 21, 2018 03:36PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Or section 8 housing with
> luxuries, or, or, or...
>

Where in Fairfax are these luxurious section 8 housing?

And what is a "or, or, or..."?
You can't even identify your unjust taxes, lazy fuck.

Posted by: Wrong government ()
Date: February 21, 2018 04:07PM

Mowing the grass on Braddock Road is the responsibility of VDOT, not Fairfax County. If the County is doing it, it is because the Yahoos down state are not giving VDOT enough money to do its job.

Posted by: appeal every year ()
Date: February 21, 2018 04:49PM

Appeal them just for the lulz, even if you know you're going to lose. Make them work for your $$$$

Posted by: tgn4e ()
Date: February 21, 2018 05:38PM

Tried that a couple of years ago. Pointed out that our house with its addition was no different than our neighbor's which had the same addition constructed a few years earlier and was assessed $50,000 less. They adjusted the value slightly reducing our taxes by about $100. Hardly worth the effort. Next year they jacked up our neighbor's assessment to the same level as ours. Never told our neighbor why his valuation shot up so fast.

Posted by: McLean Billionaire ()
Date: February 21, 2018 06:46PM

Fortunately, assessors give us wealthy people a HUGE break. My estate is worth ten times the assessed value.

Posted by: reality check....... ()
Date: February 21, 2018 07:19PM

McLean Billionaire Wrote:
> Fortunately, assessors give us wealthy people a
> HUGE break. My estate is worth ten times the
> assessed value.

Just because you paid $30 million for a custom built mansion doesn't mean it's worth anywhere near that.

Example

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13768-Balmoral-Greens-Ave-Clifton-VA-20124/51889625_zpid/

The owner spent almost $20 Million building that and now he will be lucky to get $5M.

Posted by: Breaks for Billionaires ()
Date: February 21, 2018 09:18PM

Look up the assessment for any property that sold for over a couple million, and you'll see that the rich pay a fraction of their share.

Posted by: dpcwk ()
Date: February 21, 2018 11:44PM

Up $32k here.

Posted by: Black Caulk ()
Date: February 21, 2018 11:48PM

Section 8 housing just lets the nig nogs buy more lottery tickets.

Posted by: Malcolm Xtra Black ()
Date: February 22, 2018 07:25AM

I love the OP's naive assessment of where this money goes. Like most county liberals, they have no idea who is even responsible for what, much less where most of the money goes.

In reality, the budget is passed then the tax rate is tweaked to bring in the appropriate amount of funds.

Posted by: Real numbers ()
Date: February 22, 2018 08:04AM

Most assessments are adjusted on a neighborhood basis based on changes in actual sales prices in those areas. For the roughly 343,000 residential properties in the county, the average increase in assessment this year was 2.17%.

Posted by: udwdc ()
Date: February 22, 2018 08:20AM

reality check....... Wrote:
> McLean Billionaire Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Fortunately, assessors give us wealthy people a
> > HUGE break. My estate is worth ten times the
> > assessed value.
>
>
> Just because you paid $30 million for a custom
> built mansion doesn't mean it's worth anywhere
> near that.
>
> Example
>
> https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13768-Balmoral-
> Greens-Ave-Clifton-VA-20124/51889625_zpid/
>
> The owner spent almost $20 Million building that
> and now he will be lucky to get $5M.

The owner is/was Online America's co-founder. No surprise. It's funny how they build these huge ass fucking mansions then it becomes hard as hell to sell them. Sad that in FFX County that a modest 1500 sq ft home can no longer be built. It's only these huge ass mansions that are built now. All old houses that are bought are then tore down to put up the fucking McMansions. Why not just build another modest house instead?

Date: February 22, 2018 09:25AM

Malcolm Xtra Black Wrote:
> I love the OP's naive assessment of where this
> money goes. Like most county liberals, they have
> no idea who is even responsible for what, much
> less where most of the money goes.
>
> In reality, the budget is passed then the tax rate
> is tweaked to bring in the appropriate amount of
> funds.

Far from a liberal, I have lived in this county my whole life, and that's way before the "liberal" invasion.

Anyways, your closing point is exactly what I was thinking... County needs money, they "tweak" the assessments to match budget. In years where the real estate market was down, they decreased the assessments, but raised the rate. Whatever works for them.

Date: February 22, 2018 09:29AM

Wrong government Wrote:
> Mowing the grass on Braddock Road is the
> responsibility of VDOT, not Fairfax County. If
> the County is doing it, it is because the Yahoos
> down state are not giving VDOT enough money to do
> its job.

Actually, the county *has* cut the grass on Braddock and Burke Lake Roads. I think it was reported in the Fairfax Journal, back when that paper was published. But anyways, since it was probably before the internet, it couldn't be true.

VDOT always cries they don't have money for contractors. Well, that's because Northern VA carries the rest of the state and never gets a return on their investment, leaving the county to pick up the slack on mowing, for example. It doesn't happen much, but it does happen. I think last time I saw this personally, it was ADC guests being chaperoned and pushing mowers. But still, cost the county money to run the equipment, transport, and watch the inmates outside of the jail.

Date: February 22, 2018 09:40AM

MHEU9 Wrote:
> ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> -----
> Or section 8 housing with
> > luxuries, or, or, or...
> >
>
> Where in Fairfax are these luxurious section 8
> housing?
>
> And what is a "or, or, or..."?
> You can't even identify your unjust taxes, lazy
> fuck.

Yeah, I am lazy, clearly.

Anyways, any new apartment complex built must include a certain number of units for low income families. There was a report on this, regarding a new complex in Herndon. When built, they had flat screen TVs (before that was all one could buy) in the club house with pool table, spa, gym, and pool outside. That's pretty nice, I think.

Posted by: JTSBrown ()
Date: February 22, 2018 11:05AM

This post just proves it makes no sense to vote on any bond issue regarding school issues, etc. The county will get our money no matter what you vote for or against.

Posted by: SOS re Public Housing ()
Date: February 22, 2018 12:05PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> Anyways, any new apartment complex built must
> include a certain number of units for low income
> families. There was a report on this, regarding a
> new complex in Herndon. When built, they had flat
> screen TVs (before that was all one could buy) in
> the club house with pool table, spa, gym, and pool
> outside. That's pretty nice, I think.

This is probably pointless because those who rant against "Section 8" housing don't care and won't remember it, but WTF.

When property owners sign up to participate in low income housing programs they gets certain benefits. Those can include tax credits, guaranteed payments that are funded by Federal, state and/or local tax dollars, financing assistance, propety tax breaks and for developers building preferences including being allowed to develop the property more intensely than current zoning laws allow. In almost every instance where you have low income housing programs, rich people are making money off of it.

In return for these benefits the people that participate in offering low income housing programs incur certain obligations. One of these is where a property consists of both low income and non-low income housing, the owner cannot discriminate against the low income tenants in providing services. If there is a pool or spa on the premises, then the low income tenants have the same right to use those facilities as the other tenants. If there is a clubhouse, Juan and Maria Lopez Subsidy have the same right to use it as F Worthington Upperclass and his latest trophy wife Bitsy.

In many loocalities it is possible to impose restrictions on facilities and services which have the effect of preventing low income tenants from using those facilities and services. However those same restrictions would also have to apply to the non low income tenants. Since free and unrestricted access to those facilities and services is frequently a selling point in marketing the developments to potential owners or tenants, developers and owners choose not to pursue it. See above re rich person making money off of it.

Posted by: local man no more ()
Date: February 22, 2018 12:29PM

Some years back, we bought in a community that had a Section 8 area. It quickly became a ghetto. The police were there at least daily for domestics, assaults, stolen property etc... Eventually the thugs started stealing and victimizing those in the better parts of the neighborhood and property values went down compared to other areas that didn't have a ghetto installed.

Posted by: Lazy complainers ()
Date: February 22, 2018 01:03PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> MHEU9 Wrote:
> -----
> > ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > Or section 8 housing with
> > > luxuries, or, or, or...
> > >
> >
> > Where in Fairfax are these luxurious section 8
> > housing?
> >
> > And what is a "or, or, or..."?
> > You can't even identify your unjust taxes, lazy
> > fuck.
>
>
> Yeah, I am lazy, clearly.
>
>
> Anyways, any new apartment complex built must
> include a certain number of units for low income
> families. There was a report on this, regarding a
> new complex in Herndon. When built, they had flat
> screen TVs (before that was all one could buy) in
> the club house with pool table, spa, gym, and pool
> outside. That's pretty nice, I think.

So we're supposed to just believe a lazy person with no sources?
Someone that 'thinks' there was a report about a nice new complex in Herndon.
LOL! Fuck off.

Posted by: JTSBrown ()
Date: February 22, 2018 01:27PM

Since the county has decided to raise taxes on us once again to pay for all these illegals flooding our area I will have to make some changes.

* When eating out I will not tip anyone again.

* At the grocery store I will take as many free samples as possible and load them up in plastic bags. Will also buy goods and return them before 90 days and thus basically use them FREE. Will also complain to every corporate company on grocery products bought to receive many FREE coupons.

Date: February 22, 2018 01:28PM

Lazy complainers Wrote:

> So we're supposed to just believe a lazy person
> with no sources?
> Someone that 'thinks' there was a report about a
> nice new complex in Herndon.
> LOL! Fuck off.

Spin on this.

FOX 5 Investigates: Luxury Affordables: MyFoxDC.com

FOX 5 Investigates: Luxury Affordables

FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. - As Fairfax County commuters waited in the heat for their bus, many like Ryan Lauer, wished they had a pool waiting at home.

"That would be great!" Lauer says. "But we would have to pay. At my community right now, we don't have a pool."

What Ryan and thousands of other county taxpayers don’t realize is they are already paying for these pools. But as the gates imply, don’t expect to be allowed in for a quick dip.

“That’s not very cool,” Lauer says. “I don’t have access to that.”

FOX 5 has discovered Fairfax County taxpayers are footing the bill for luxury amenities like pools, billiards tables and indoor basketball courts as part of its affordable housing program run by the Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority.

“These are amenities that the people, the taxpayers that are subsidizing this housing don’t have,” says Fairfax County Supervisor Pat Herrity. “So, you've got people that are subsidizing other folks to have these luxury amenities and that's just not right."

Developers who want to build high-density condos and townhomes in Fairfax County are required to sell some of their units at reduced prices to the county, who in turn, rents these units for as little as $300 a month to low-income families, the elderly and the disabled.

“I agree with affordable housing,” says Tina Wright, another county resident waiting for a bus. “But you don't need a clubhouse and a homeowners association and fresh flowers every month. That is ridiculous and I pay taxes, so to me, that is crazy."

Herrity is also upset with some of RHA’s decisions. He says RHA bought townhomes with brick driveways and brick sidewalks in a million dollar neighborhood in McLean, which means taxpayers are also paying the homeowners association fees that go with living in a neighborhood like this.

"Our taxpayers are paying for it,” Herrity says. “It is up to us to make sure we are prudently using taxpayer dollars and I think in this case, we are not prudently using taxpayer dollars."

Records obtained by FOX 5 show the RHA is paying homeowner association fees on more than 500 condos and townhomes, including one development with two outdoor pools, a clubroom, an athletic center and a billiards room. Another comes with an exercise room, indoor basketball court, party room and sports pub.

Based on the documents, amenities like these end up costing the county an estimated $1.3 million in homeowner association fees every year.

"Obviously it doesn't sound good,” Lauer says. “It sounds like just another area where they are not really paying attention to where the money is going."

"I would rather see them not spend the money on the extras and actually use the money on more of the bare essentials to help more people," says Jamie Adams, another Fairfax County taxpayer.

Ron Christian just retired as Chairman of RHA.

"We have a really good housing policy in this county. I am proud of it. I am proud to be a leader of it,” he says.

Christian says RHA follows a strict policy on which units to buy.

"That policy has to do with diversity, making sure we don't put all affordable housing of any kind in one location all the time,” says Christian.

He says the federal government recently gave RHA the very best rating possible for financial management and suggests the county might actually be saving money by paying homeowner association fees.

"They pay for certain things that if we didn't pay a homeowners fee, we would have to send staff from RHA to do. Snow removal, garbage pickup in some cases,” says Christian.

But Herrity remains skeptical.

"These people living in these million dollar homes with these amenities have no real incentive to improve themselves because as soon as they get a raise, they are going to have to move out of these nice units and they're going to end up in units not nearly as nice as the ones they're in."

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/special_report/fox-5-investigates-luxury-affordables-062711#ixzz1QYpkqO59

MORE SOURCES...
Date: February 22, 2018 01:33PM

...and the Washington Post:

(And looks like Queen Sharon won this battle)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/affordable-housing-group-criticizes-fairfax-county-supervisor-disputes-characterization-of-project-as-luxury-digs/2011/03/15/ABlJrHY_story.html?utm_term=.6fe0b7a25e48

By Fredrick Kunkle March 15, 2011
Luxury, like beauty, may be in the eye of the beholder. But it’s also at the heart of a continuing fuss over Fairfax County’s recently approved plan to build subsidized housing near its government complex.

The Northern Virginia Affordable Housing Alliance has taken a slap at Board of Supervisors member Pat S. Herrity (R-Springfield) for what the group says is a distorted portrayal of the county’s plan to build 270 dwellings, known as the Residences at Government Center, for people who struggle to find homes in one of the region’s wealthiest jurisdictions. The project, undertaken by Jefferson at Fairfax Corner LLC on land ceded by the county, was approved by the county Board of Supervisors last week.

“While we acknowledge Supervisor Pat Herrity’s difference of opinion regarding the role of local government in housing, we continue to be troubled by his inaccurate and careless portrayal of the facts regarding housing programs in Fairfax County. The Residences at the Government Center, a mixed-income community of 270 units serving a range of households from 50 to 100% of area median income, is the latest housing initiative under attack by Mr. Herrity,” the group’s “Action Alert” says. The advisory went out to about 1,000 members of a listserv Tuesday.

But Herrity stood his ground over his criticism of the project, saying that the county should not be in the business of subsidizing a “luxury” apartment complex when privately operated units in the area are vacant.

“I consider pools, spas, rec rooms, weight rooms and rooms with Wii systems to be luxury,” Herrity said in an interview Tuesday.

The alliance’s open letter does not specify what the inaccuracies are. But in an interview Tuesday, the group’s executive director, Michelle Krocker, said the alliance objects to Herrity’s continued portrayal of the apartments as “luxury” units. Krocker accused Herrity, who discussed the apartments in his most recent newsletter, of implying that everyone who lives there will be making $100,000 a year.

The 55-foot-tall building will include dwellings for households making 50 percent, 70 percent, 80 percent, 90 percent and 100 percent of the area median income. The median household income for a family of three in Fairfax County is $102,499, according to the Census Bureau. About 20 percent of the units will serve households making 50 percent of AMI; about 27 percent will live in the dwellings set aside for people making 100 percent of AMI.

Board of Supervisors chairman Sharon S. Bulova (D) echoed the group’s criticism of Herrity. Bulova said the public-private partnership with Jefferson would allow the county to create a mix of housing types that teachers, firefighters, police officers and other middle-class workers could afford. By leasing land from the county and using federal low-income housing tax credits, the private-public arrangement allows Fairfax County to address an important meet at no cost to the tax payer, Bulova said. She noted that this was one of the critical needs highlighted in a report from the Fairfax County Economic Advisory Commission that the board approved the same day it endorsed the Residences at the Government Center.

Herrity, in his March 9 newsletter, said that the county should not be in the business of subsidizing an apartment complex that has “significant onsite amenities” such as “party rooms.” The county staff’s report says the builders will provide two indoor courtyards, a swimming pool with a spa, a clubhouse room, a fitness room, trail connections and a tot lot. Herrity said the private builder’s own Web site — since changed — used the word “luxury” in its sales pitch.

“Luxury does not belong in county-subsidized affordable housing,” Herrity wrote in the newsletter. He said taxpayers are subsidizing the project through the county’s giveaway of land valued from $10 million to $15 million and through federal tax credits that cost about $61 billion from 2008-17.

“Why should a guy who’s making $100,000 with a family of four — why should he be subsidizing somebody else in a luxury product when he’s paying full boat?” Herrity said in an interview Tuesday. “The majority of the people in Fairfax County do not think we should be subsidizing a luxury project to compete with the private sector.”

Herrity also was critical of the project’s change of focus, saying it initially had been billed as a way to house county employees but that now there is no guarantee that any county workers will live there.

The Board of Supervisors approved the development at its meeting March 8 by a vote of 7 to 3. Herrity joined fellow Republicans Michael R. Frey (Sully) and John C. Cook (Braddock) in opposing the project.

This post has been updated since it was first published.

Posted by: Uncle Tom ()
Date: February 22, 2018 02:07PM

Lots of turkey gobbles and no real sense at all. The county works toward profers that result in units suitable at various income levels. That's just the right way to do things.

Posted by: mde9t ()
Date: February 22, 2018 02:21PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> I know we pay a percentage of that, but still,
> county has to be happy. Think of all the teachers
> who can now get a raise. Or section 8 housing with
> luxuries, or, or, or...
>
> But somehow, the grass median on Braddock Road
> will never get cut until 4 ft tall, and the BOS
> will cry they still don't have enough money. Who
> else got your 2018 assessment in the mail today?
>
> Looks like they were drafted on 2/20/18 and
> mailed.

#1 omg someone understands! fx co gov does set the assesment price.

#2 your price hinges on recent sale. the sale may have been a fraud to bump up prices, ie: from one bank to another

#3 TAKE ACTION. THE PROBLEM IS NO-ONE (except rich political families) DOES. YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO MODERATION, AND IF THAT FAILS, TO CHALLENGE THE ASSESSMENT'S RELEVANCE IN COURT: where your ability to pay is relevant infact.

the problem is too many people roll over and take the blood whipping that fx co gov's whip (actually, a "hindu tax man"), lashes out

Posted by: dgkcj ()
Date: February 22, 2018 02:23PM

^^ if you cannot pay the ASSESSED tax for housing, the reason why becomes relevant. if the reason why is your new BMW or stock purchases: your of course going to LOOSE and be charged money for asking

Posted by: grammar police's head exploding ()
Date: February 22, 2018 02:30PM

dgkcj Wrote:
> ^^ if you cannot pay the ASSESSED tax for housing,
> the reason why becomes relevant. if the reason
> why is your new BMW or stock purchases: your of
> course going to LOOSE and be charged money for
> asking

jesus god damn Christ!!!! your grammar abilities are fucking horrible!

Posted by: DVGMT ()
Date: February 22, 2018 02:33PM

grammar police's head exploding Wrote:
> dgkcj Wrote:
> -----
> > ^^ if you cannot pay the ASSESSED tax for
> housing,
> > the reason why becomes relevant. if the reason
> > why is your new BMW or stock purchases: your of
> > course going to LOOSE and be charged money for
> > asking
>
> jesus god damn Christ!!!! your grammar abilities
> are fucking horrible!

+1 He's a 'looser'.

Posted by: Par for the course ()
Date: February 22, 2018 02:34PM

Many FFXU posters are bad at everything.

Posted by: county employee ()
Date: February 23, 2018 04:46AM

You fuckers voted down the county meals tax awhile back. I told you before, we get our money one way or another. We gave you a chance to do it the easy way but you chose the hard way instead.

Posted by: Four percent ()
Date: February 23, 2018 03:22PM

Meals tax would have meant free money from outsiders. But no, the assfucks couldn't go for that! Soon, the board will set the rate for this year. They'll have to fill in the meals tax gap.

Posted by: Consequences ()
Date: February 23, 2018 05:09PM

Democrats have an insatiable appetite for YOUR money. Voting democrat has consequences. If you vote democrat, you can never bitch about taxes. Doesn't likely matter, since dems never pay their taxes anyway.

Posted by: do tell ()
Date: February 23, 2018 05:15PM

Consequences Wrote:
> Democrats have an insatiable appetite for YOUR
> money. Voting democrat has consequences. If you
> vote democrat, you can never bitch about taxes.
> Doesn't likely matter, since dems never pay their
> taxes anyway.

Democrats rule around here motherfucker and our taxes are a bargain. If you don't like it move the fuck out.

Posted by: Tax Acct ()
Date: February 23, 2018 05:51PM

do tell Wrote:
> Consequences Wrote:
> -----
> > Democrats have an insatiable appetite for YOUR
> > money. Voting democrat has consequences. If
> you
> > vote democrat, you can never bitch about taxes.
>
> > Doesn't likely matter, since dems never pay
> their
> > taxes anyway.
>
>
> Democrats rule around here motherfucker and our
> taxes are a bargain. If you don't like it move the
> fuck out.

Taxes are a bargain for you because you're a welfare leech living off other peoples' taxes and pay none yourself. If we move out, there will be no one to cover your welfare check and free luxury housing! Be careful what you wish for, loser!

Posted by: Failed experiments ()
Date: February 23, 2018 05:56PM

NoVa is a low-tax area. Douches to stupid to realize.

Posted by: XVLW3 ()
Date: February 24, 2018 02:07AM

That is what your DEM masters did to ensure that you and not they would have to pay for the new toll roads designated for rt 66, and the new Metro extensions. Your own fault, why did you vote them in?

Posted by: Breaks for Billionaires - NOT! ()
Date: February 24, 2018 03:47AM

Breaks for Billionaires Wrote:
> Look up the assessment for any property that sold
> for over a couple million, and you'll see that the
> rich pay a fraction of their share.

wrong entirely

also, the "rich" pay well over 70% of ALL taxes, that includes the refunds sent to the underemployed

Posted by: Bob Carkey ()
Date: February 24, 2018 07:44AM

You fucking Virginia natives are so stupid. The taxes here are dirt cheap. One of the reasons I moved to Fairfax 11 years ago was the low taxes. You retards would shit a brick If you had to pay up like they do on Long Island.
Why is everyone from the south so goddamn stupid?

Posted by: 76945 ()
Date: February 24, 2018 07:52AM

Bob Carkey Wrote:
> You fucking Virginia natives are so stupid. The
> taxes here are dirt cheap. One of the reasons I
> moved to Fairfax 11 years ago was the low taxes.
> You retards would shit a brick If you had to pay
> up like they do on Long Island.
> Why is everyone from the south so goddamn stupid?

Go back. We have enough of you stupid NYers moving down and voting for the same policies that ended up making you leave NY. Now that's stupid.

Posted by: Nmoy ()
Date: February 24, 2018 08:48AM

Failed experiments Wrote:
> NoVa is a low-tax area. Douches to stupid to
> realize.

Commie Dems will always consider taxes "low" if they take anything less than 100% of your income. Dems have always supported slavery, first for blacks and now for all Americans to be slaves to govt.

Posted by: You're remarkably dumb ()
Date: February 24, 2018 09:04AM

Breaks for Billionaires - NOT! Wrote:
> also, the "rich" pay well over 70% of ALL taxes, that includes
> the refunds sent to the underemployed.

Using non-alternative numbers, the bottom 20% by income would pay about 17% of their incomes to all forms of taxation (federal, state, and local.) For the top 1%, the number would actually be around 30%.

Keep in mind that federal income taxes are the only ones with any significant degree of progressivity. Nearly all the rest are regressive, meaning that tax burden falls disproportionately on poorer people.

Posted by: Bob Carkey ()
Date: February 24, 2018 09:11AM

76945 Wrote:
> Bob Carkey Wrote:
> -----
> > You fucking Virginia natives are so stupid. The
> > taxes here are dirt cheap. One of the reasons I
> > moved to Fairfax 11 years ago was the low
> taxes.
> > You retards would shit a brick If you had to
> pay
> > up like they do on Long Island.
> > Why is everyone from the south so goddamn
> stupid?
>
> Go back. We have enough of you stupid NYers
> moving down and voting for the same policies that
> ended up making you leave NY. Now that's stupid.

I will go back after I am finished making my fortune off the backs of ignorant drones like you.

Posted by: Backward hicks and hayseeds ()
Date: February 24, 2018 09:13AM

76945 Wrote:
> Go back. We have enough of you stupid NYers
> moving down and voting for the same policies that
> ended up making you leave NY. Now that's stupid.

You liked the Sunday Blue Laws, did you? And the lack of education or culture? There are still ultra-backward areas in this country where the calendar should still read about 1915, but Fairfax County thankfully isn't one of them. The door here is always open, and it swings both ways.

Posted by: B4B does happen ()
Date: February 24, 2018 09:24AM

Breaks for Billionaires - NOT! Wrote:
> Breaks for Billionaires Wrote:
> -----
> > Look up the assessment for any property that
> sold
> > for over a couple million, and you'll see that
> the
> > rich pay a fraction of their share.
>
>
> wrong entirely
>
> also, the "rich" pay well over 70% of ALL taxes,
> that includes the refunds sent to the
> underemployed

Actually there is a trend that the more expensive the neighborhood the less likely assessments are going to reflect the value of the property. Official reasons for this are that the properties are more likely to be unique, they don't sell as often, and when thy do sell it is harder to determine whether the sale was a market sale. There are also factors not officially acknowledged which cause lower cost neighborhoods to be assessed at a relatively higher percentage to the value of the property. These include County assessors more aggressively throwing lower priced sales out as 'not true fair market value sales' and giving greater weight to improvements made to homes in leer cost neighborhoods. Another huge factor is the failure to 'reset' values in higher cost neighborhoods, so that undervaluations in previous years are carry forward. Plus the owner of a home worth $500,000 that is valued at 95% FMV the owner is getting a $25,000 value reduction while the owner of a $1,000,000 who is assessed at 96% FMV gets a $40,000 value reduction. Then there are the factors that cannot be proved but which probably exist, such as assessors taking into consideration that home owners in more expensive neighborhoods are more likely to appeal, and political influence.

Using Fairfax County definitions the rich don't pay close to 70% of County taxes, and refunds of County taxes don't happen often.

Posted by: Let's be clear ()
Date: February 24, 2018 09:34AM

Fairfax assessments are based on neighborhood sales prices. Completed work permits will affect the assessment of an individual residence, but it will otherwise simply slide along with the sales price trend set by its neighbors.

Posted by: B4B does happen ()
Date: February 24, 2018 09:46AM

Which is not saying anything I did not.

Posted by: Let's be clear ()
Date: February 24, 2018 09:53AM

Well, all the verbiage related to individual owners or individual residences was kind of beside the point.

Posted by: How it's made ()
Date: February 24, 2018 11:17AM

If you appeal your assessment increase, there is a chance that your residence might be reviewed individually, but otherwise you float along with the same computer models as everybody else.

Date: February 24, 2018 01:22PM

I might appeal, just because.

And also, wish there were a way to line item veto the county budget. At least from the taxpayer / constituent level.

Damn, it's harder and harder to love this county which I've called home my whole life. Hardly recognizable anymore.

Date: February 24, 2018 01:27PM

Backward hicks and hayseeds Wrote:
> 76945 Wrote:
> -----
> > Go back. We have enough of you stupid NYers
> > moving down and voting for the same policies
> that
> > ended up making you leave NY. Now that's
> stupid.
>
> You liked the Sunday Blue Laws, did you? And the
> lack of education or culture? There are still
> ultra-backward areas in this country where the
> calendar should still read about 1915, but Fairfax
> County thankfully isn't one of them. The door
> here is always open, and it swings both ways.

What was wrong with those "blue laws"? Heck, gave Sunday for a true day of rest or time with family. Something sorely lacking today.

And regarding education, Fairfax County has always been a leader. Compare the county to Northern VA v. elsewhere VA. Always been strong.

Regarding culture, what has NY brought to VA? Not a damn thing. Nothing except weirdness and oddities. No thanks, as I'd rather keep that door closed.

Posted by: The founders say ()
Date: February 24, 2018 01:55PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> And also, wish there were a way to line item veto
> the county budget. At least from the taxpayer /
> constituent level.

Why do younhate America? In a representative form of government, you're
not supposed to have such a say.

Date: February 24, 2018 05:27PM

The founders say Wrote:
> ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> -----
> > And also, wish there were a way to line item
> veto
> > the county budget. At least from the taxpayer /
> > constituent level.
>
> Why do younhate America? In a representative form
> of government, you're
> not supposed to have such a say.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. And while one can wish, it doesn't mean they don't understand... Geez....

Anyways, my point is, when I see the county funding programs and such, I *wish* they could be on a ballot so we the people could vote on them. Like we did the meals tax proposal.

But I get it, we voted the representatives we have, and as Fairfax County turned purple, then blue, we've got what we've got.

Back to the topic, the county balances the budget off higher valuations of personal property. In this case, real estate. If we didn't have such a deprivation of businesses looking to occupy the vacancies of commercial property in the county, perhaps we'd have more of a tax base vs. private citizens. And maybe as the economy strengthens, that'll change.

Posted by: President Trump FTW! ()
Date: February 24, 2018 06:28PM

My house is tax exempt.
Lol!

Posted by: RPG ()
Date: February 24, 2018 07:57PM

Time to elect a new Board of Supervisors this increase is outrageous.

Posted by: What. Joke ()
Date: February 24, 2018 08:01PM

Your ignorance is outrageous. Fool.

Date: February 24, 2018 08:18PM

5% increase this year for a total of 26% over the last 5 years. Where does it end?

I foresee a lot of people leaving the county.

This is what you get with this Democratic Board.

Posted by: Pfft!!! ()
Date: February 24, 2018 08:23PM

What a joke! The average increase across the county was 2.17%. Got that? Nobody with a brain is moving out.

Date: February 24, 2018 08:30PM

Reread it the average is 2.17% but many homes will pay much more. I know mine went up over $30,000. So guess what I sure won’t pay 2.17%.

Posted by: High tax ()
Date: February 24, 2018 08:44PM

Pfft!!! Wrote:
> What a joke! The average increase across the
> county was 2.17%. Got that? Nobody with a brain
> is moving out.

There are two increases this year. An increase in the tax rate and an increase in the assessment.

Date: February 24, 2018 08:59PM

Don’t forget there is a .25 stormwater new tax too.

Posted by: Jims ()
Date: February 25, 2018 05:54PM

My assessment is up $38,000! This has got to stop. 26% increase over the past 5 years is intolerable.

Posted by: God, you're stupid ()
Date: February 25, 2018 08:34PM

High tax Wrote:
> There are two increases this year. An increase in
> the tax rate and an increase in the assessment.

That's the same as in every other year, you moron. How can people be so dumb?

Posted by: Dumber than goat shit ()
Date: February 25, 2018 10:42PM

God, you're stupid Wrote:
> High tax Wrote:
> -----
> > There are two increases this year. An increase
> in
> > the tax rate and an increase in the assessment.
>
> That's the same as in every other year, you moron.
> How can people be so dumb?

Your the fucking moron.

Why would it be same every other year and not every year?

You are wrong. There are many years when the assessed value of property has gone down. 2008 to 2013.

For most of the last 50 years the rate went down as the value of property went up. Its only been recently that both the tax rate and the value of property have gone up as well as special tax district rates

The Storm Water tax I paid last year was $440.75, this year they want a lot more, it has gone up three years in a row.

https://newcuriousthoughts.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/fairfax-county-property-tax-rates-historical-chart-version-2/

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/taxes/real-estate/tax-rates

Posted by: High Taxes ()
Date: February 25, 2018 10:51PM

I looked at a home in Winchester this weekend. It was $929,900.00. I was in shock when the tax records indicated that the total tax bill was $3080.00 annually.

Winchester did not fill its schools with illegal immigrants, nor does it send its fire department to every natural disaster.

Posted by: Jerrold Bodine ()
Date: February 25, 2018 10:51PM

My assessment went down 9.1%. I am in Tysons next to the Commons which are planned to level and build 3,000 units. Looks like the County is trying to force prices down so we hit the chopping block. The fix is already in and we aren't renters. Most of us are owner occupiers.

Posted by: COLNIES AT MCLEAN ()
Date: February 25, 2018 10:59PM

COLNIES AT MCLEAN

2017 $75,000 $298,980 $373,980 NO
2016 $82,000 $328,550 $410,550 NO
2015 $82,000 $328,550 $410,550 NO

Tax Year 2018
Current Land $73,000
Current Building $294,000
Current Assessed Total $367,000

Posted by: P Henry ()
Date: June 29, 2018 10:57PM

I got my RE tax bill today. My tax increased $900 from last year. The BoS was claiming that the average tax bill would increase $300. WTF?

Posted by: Congrats from the BoS! ()
Date: June 29, 2018 11:48PM

P Henry Wrote:
> I got my RE tax bill today. My tax increased $900
> from last year. The BoS was claiming that the
> average tax bill would increase $300. WTF?

You're above average!

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: June 30, 2018 02:58AM

NO WHINING!!! YOU GOT WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR!!!

Posted by: Bill Payer ()
Date: June 30, 2018 08:30AM

Inquisitive One Wrote:
> NO WHINING!!! YOU GOT WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN ASKING
> FOR!!!

Shut up asshole.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.