HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Drunk in Public question
Posted by: Billy Boy89 ()
Date: December 12, 2009 08:59PM

I'm 20, have a clean record, not usually the one to get into issues like this and feel embarrassed but it has happened and trying to figure some stuff out. I got charged with a DIP at school late at night on campus at GMU, I will admit i was drinking a little bit but I had been sick most of the week so I had watery and red eyes and was in the bathroom where someone had thrown up at school on campus where I'm guessing is why cops were waiting outside cuz when I came out a police officer was waiting outside asking about someone getting sick and ended up trying to breathalyze me but I was nervous and scared so I didnt blow anything into it so he took me in for the night for the drunk tank. I told him I had not been drinking but have been pretty sick last few days. I am curious if I could have any kind of case where it would be worth trying to go to court or if i should pay the fine. As i was leaving in the morning when they do all the paperwork the last part when they verify stuff with a folder after I was given information and a paper about a court date, I was the only one not to get called up also so I'm not sure if maybe some paperwork was not fully done and that would help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drunk in Public question
Posted by: Billy Boy89v2 ()
Date: December 12, 2009 09:07PM

I'm 20, have a clean record, not usually the one to get into issues like this and feel embarrassed but it has happened and trying to figure some stuff out. I got charged with a DIP at school late at night on campus at GMU, I will admit i was drinking a little bit but I had been sick most of the week so I had watery and red eyes and was in the bathroom where someone had thrown up at school on campus where I'm guessing is why cops were waiting outside cuz when I came out a police officer was waiting outside asking about someone getting sick and ended up trying to breathalyze me but I was nervous and scared so I didnt blow anything into it so he took me in for the night for the drunk tank. I told him I had not been drinking but have been pretty sick last few days. I am curious if I could have any kind of case where it would be worth trying to go to court or if i should pay the fine. As i was leaving in the morning when they do all the paperwork the last part when they verify stuff with a folder after I was given information and a paper about a court date, I was the only one not to get called up also so I'm not sure if maybe some paperwork was not fully done and that would help.

Posted by: Say What? ()
Date: December 12, 2009 09:07PM

I'm 20, have a clean record, not usually the one to get into issues like this and feel embarrassed but it has happened and trying to figure some stuff out. I got charged with a DIP at school late at night on campus at GMU, I will admit i was drinking a little bit but I had been sick most of the week so I had watery and red eyes and was in the bathroom where someone had thrown up at school on campus where I'm guessing is why cops were waiting outside cuz when I came out a police officer was waiting outside asking about someone getting sick and ended up trying to breathalyze me but I was nervous and scared so I didnt blow anything into it so he took me in for the night for the drunk tank.

Nominated for the best run-on sentence of 2009.

Date: December 12, 2009 09:38PM

I was told I could prepay the fine as well but after reading stuff online I'm confused of whether I still have to show up to court if I prepay the fine.

Posted by: Been There ()
Date: December 12, 2009 10:10PM

When I got arrested for this, I was so angry i consulted a lawyer, and here's what she told me - Unfortunately, the crime you were actually charged with is APPEARING TO BE DRUNK IN PUBLIC. As in, it doesnt even matter whether or not you were drunk.

Posted by: dono ()
Date: December 12, 2009 10:34PM

GMU is a fucking police state. You pussies there should slash the rentacops tires and crap on Mertins lawn. In my day that is what the students would have done. Seriously you are paying those jerks to protect you not bust you for looking sick or tired. they are real assholes that are likely angry they never got their GED let alone Associates degree.

Grow some balls youth of today or we are doomed...

Posted by: publicinfosux ()
Date: December 13, 2009 06:28AM

2009-015359 Drunk in Public Dustin Decarlo, GMU student, 20, of Reston, VA was arrested for the above charge and transported to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center. Mr. Decarlo was held until sober. (41/ Rapoli)

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: December 13, 2009 11:00AM

Yes, the lawyer is correct. A police officer in FFX county doesn't need to provide your BAL level to convict you of drunk in public(DIP). You just have show signs of being drunk. Having a smell of alcohol and coming from a bathroom stall where someone just yacked is probably close enough.

Officers give out DIP's because they feel that by allowing the intoxicated person to go free they might get in a car or cause more trouble some place else. They don't want something to happen and then later get "Why the hell did the officer let that person go if they knew he was drunk? They could of prevented X from happening."

Sucks it will now be on your record for job interviews. The best thing to do is have a friend vouch for you, tell them you are calling a cab, or explain you live close by.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2009 11:03AM by Lurker..

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: December 13, 2009 11:13AM

I forgot, try contacting the officer and see if he will drop the charge. He could probably care less about a DIP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2009 11:14AM by Lurker..

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: December 13, 2009 12:21PM

DIP's are prepayable and are like $25 fine + $62 court costs.

Posted by: been there ()
Date: December 13, 2009 12:28PM

No, i mean, she wasn't even being sarcastic. The charge in Virginia is literally Appearing To Be Intoxicated In Public. That's what you were charged with.

Posted by: been there ()
Date: December 13, 2009 12:36PM

I hate to say it because it sucks for you, but I recommend you write the bastards a check and get on with your life. I went to court and got community service instead of convicted ($40 fine at that time) then got in an argument with Church Lady about whether or not I'd fulfilled my community service obligation and ended up telling her to get bent and going to the Town Of Blacksburg building and writing them a check for the f***ing $40 anyway.

Posted by: did that too ()
Date: December 13, 2009 01:06PM

That happened to me in college (also in VA) many years ago. I went to court, was sentenced to 15 hours of community service and the charge was dismissed.

They dismissed the charge after sucessfully completing the community service, so there is no conviction...and nothing to have to disclose to your future employers.

Good luck.

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: December 13, 2009 02:26PM

I cussed out a Virginia State Trooper once.

I got charged with curse and abuse.

After meeting with my lawyer, the prosecutor agreed to let me plead guilty and then if I stayed out of trouble for a year, the charge would be dropped.

I stayed out of trouble and the charge was dropped.

I also learned not to cuss out State Troopers.

If the cop is unwilling to agree to drop the charge, get a lawyer who will work with the prosecution to see that it happens.

DIP is a misdemeanor and the case will be tried in General District Court. Unless you appeal a conviction to the Circuit Court, the records will be destroyed after 10 years.

Re: Drunk in Public question new
Posted by: did that too ()
Date: December 13, 2009 01:06PM

That happened to me in college (also in VA) many years ago. I went to court, was sentenced to 15 hours of community service and the charge was dismissed.

They dismissed the charge after sucessfully completing the community service, so there is no conviction...and nothing to have to disclose to your future employers.

Good luck.

Posted by: B ()
Date: December 13, 2009 03:59PM

DIP's in VA are the biggest f'in scam out there. you basically cant fight the charge. i got one 10 years or so ago and repeatedly asked for a breathalyzer since i wasnt drunk and they wouldnt give me one. i just paid the fine and its never caused me any problems, but if you went to court the problem you're going to have is you are underage so if you say "well i only had 1 beer' thats 1 more beer then you are legally allowed to have and that opens up another can of worms.

Posted by: Bonfire ()
Date: December 13, 2009 04:49PM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I cussed out a Virginia State Trooper once.
>
> I got charged with curse and abuse.
>
> After meeting with my lawyer, the prosecutor
> agreed to let me plead guilty and then if I stayed
> out of trouble for a year, the charge would be
> dropped.
>
> I stayed out of trouble and the charge was
> dropped.
>
> I also learned not to cuss out State Troopers.
>
> If the cop is unwilling to agree to drop the
> charge, get a lawyer who will work with the
> prosecution to see that it happens.
>
> DIP is a misdemeanor and the case will be tried in
> General District Court. Unless you appeal a
> conviction to the Circuit Court, the records will
> be destroyed after 10 years.
>
>
>
>
> Re: Drunk in Public question new
> Posted by: did that too ()
> Date: December 13, 2009 01:06PM
>
> That happened to me in college (also in VA) many
> years ago. I went to court, was sentenced to 15
> hours of community service and the charge was
> dismissed.
>
> They dismissed the charge after sucessfully
> completing the community service, so there is no
> conviction...and nothing to have to disclose to
> your future employers.
>
> Good luck.

Does this apply to all misdemeanor charges or just of an alcoholic nature?

Posted by: nFiAgGgGeOrT ()
Date: December 13, 2009 05:29PM

EXACTLY the children of today need to watch fight club and do that shit and fuck up shit

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: December 16, 2009 06:49AM

It doesn't apply to all misdemeanors. The key to getting probation before judgment is getting a lawyer. The Commonwealth Attorney's office usually won't even talk to someone who doesn't have a lawyer.

Re: Drunk in Public question new
Posted by: Bonfire ()
Date: December 13, 2009 04:49PM

Does this apply to all misdemeanor charges or just of an alcoholic nature?

Posted by: Ducky ()
Date: December 16, 2009 08:00AM

I WOULD get a lawyer on this one if you really had not been drinking. Tell the Court you had H1N1 or better yet something like diabetes, if you can develop that. Doctors note/Clinic records would be good.

This cop is not going to drop your charge pre-court, but you may have a good chance of him not showing up if he knows you have a lawyer. Then the Prosecutor will say something like "do 20 hours community service"; continue the case, and when you come back it will be dropped.

Or you could pay the fine and get your record expunged in a few years, but if the cop was really being a dick, I would go to Court and plead not guilty.

Posted by: carlos ()
Date: December 29, 2009 11:21AM

i got a ticket for drunk in public in west hollywood, what happent's when you go to court?

Posted by: carlos ()
Date: December 29, 2009 05:45PM

carlos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i got a ticket for drunk in public in west
> hollywood, what happent's when you go to court?

Date: January 06, 2010 02:25PM

@publicinfosux

yeah public info does suck but more so when your putting someone else's name out that has nothing to do with this thread. I didnt tell you when this happened so you wouldn't know what day to look at to pick someones name out.

however i was more worried about whether i should prepay or just go to court and say guilty but its over now. thanks for those that tried to give some info as i was mostly clueless as what to do at the time.

Posted by: Mike Miller ()
Date: October 04, 2010 01:39PM

I work for a law firm that can legally get most any charge off your criminal record at a very affordable price. If anyone needs my help, let me know @ m_miller240@hotmail.com

Posted by: dumb client ()
Date: October 06, 2010 01:58PM

Oh yeah mike......You're such a great lawyer that you can afford a hotmail account....What's your phone number....I'll be sure to put you on my speed dial.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: October 06, 2010 06:44PM

Billy Boy -- how about this you little prick. You're under age. You were drinking. Accept some responsibility for your actions.

Posted by: babs ()
Date: October 06, 2010 07:16PM

Fat , Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life son......

Dean Wormer 1964

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: October 06, 2010 07:47PM

­

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 09:31PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Mario ()
Date: October 29, 2010 03:58PM

If "drunk in public" case dismissal based on proof of court ordered AA meetings shown to court, is this considered as a conviction on defendant's record?

Posted by: good laugh ()
Date: October 29, 2010 10:31PM

Reading these are awesome!!!

The part most people leave out of their "I was arrested for DIP" is the fact that 99% of people arrested for DIP talk themselves INTO getting arrested. Go drinking, act like an ass, guess what......away you go!!! Then come onto an internet site and bitch about the big mean cops.

I love this site!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.