HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I need new forum software
Posted by: Site admin ()
Date: February 17, 2005 03:20AM

Yeah i know I need a new standardized forum backend. This one sucks and half the features don't work. I'm looking for a vBulliten style layout with slashdot-style comment ratings, any ideas?

This site gets a rack of hits but hardly any posts, mostly because i need to add much more content (like an arrest list from the past 2 years that i'm working on) but mostly a recognizable interface.

I'll be sitting in the irc channel below, hit me up

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need new forum software
Posted by: ghukov ()
Date: February 17, 2005 10:31AM

ever check out http://www.slashcode.com ? It is the code that /. runs for its site.

Posted by: Site admin ()
Date: February 17, 2005 01:45PM

I checked it out ages ago and it was more of a slashdot-style only news reporting source than actual forum software. Perhaps it has become more dynamic since I last checked, or perhaps I can tweak it to my needs. In any case thank you, good suggestion.

Posted by: nathan ()
Date: February 24, 2005 07:19AM

ive used phpBB in the past. its pretty easy to set up, maintain, and use. even has a nice interface. i think the main thing the site needs is a direction though, niche topics will probably be the best bet and with the right advertising on community billboards/local internet sites (pheer.com for example) it will do well.

Posted by: yergi ()
Date: March 03, 2005 05:26PM

phpBB Roxors your Boxors!
seriously, check it out.

Posted by: Trogdor the Burninator ()
Date: March 03, 2005 09:26PM

phpBB is pretty nice for a free bulletin board software. Fark had a classified with a link to an online free phpbb server host. Not too bad but obviously not something you'd be interested in. Never tried vBulletin. As for rating comments etc, as well with vBulletin style forums, I draw a blank. Check phpbbhacks.com, you might find a mod/hack there that will give phpbb the functionality you want. Otherwise you're probably better off tweaking slashcode to suit your needs.

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: March 03, 2005 10:30PM

thanks to everyone for your input. i just upgraded to the newest version of this forum software "phorum" (www.phorum.org) and it shows potential. i'll be playing around with it for a couple days and exploring all the new features. if it doesn't work out i'll research your suggestions and go with one of those. any others not on this list? let me know! thanks.

Posted by: Mike ()
Date: April 29, 2005 09:42PM

Check out SMF at simplemachines.org
It's the successor to YABBSe and is a very fast and reliable script. I'm using it myself on my site.

Cheerio
Mike

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: August 30, 2011 09:07PM

I just found the oldest message on the board and resurrected it. It seems to be the hip thing to do these days.

Posted by: hipster ()
Date: March 22, 2016 08:50PM

I'm hip too

Posted by: not again ()
Date: March 23, 2016 03:47PM

Really?

Posted by: Jolan ()
Date: April 06, 2023 04:15AM

There are quite a few programs nowadays that are good at blocking pop-up windows and ads. But I also think it is useful to use programs like WebParanoid This is a very convenient and user-friendly software which perfectly copes with its function of protecting against malicious sites.

Posted by: hj5kjm65 ()
Date: April 06, 2023 11:38PM

i would use 'nc' and do it all in 'C'

there isn't a forum software worth a crap that isn't malwared with ubuntu-required (aka, UK has your password) and python and backdoors

Posted by: Vladsmirnov ()
Date: April 14, 2023 12:02PM

Eventyr.pro provides analytics and reporting tools to help you make data-driven decisions for your business.
With this company, you can be sure that your software development needs are in good hands. https://eventyr.pro/ Take note and use!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.