HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Trash Service
Posted by: Janz ()
Date: December 12, 2006 10:35PM

Hi!

Can anyone here recommend a trash collection company other than AAA? It seems as if AAA keeps raising their rates all the time. Any replies appreciated, Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trash Service
Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: December 12, 2006 10:43PM

Talking Trash? You've come to the right site. We talk trash 24/7

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 12, 2006 11:05PM

Janz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can anyone here recommend a trash collection
> company other than AAA?

they dont call it a monopoly for nothing.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 12, 2006 11:08PM

Years ago I lived on the Vienna side of Tysons, and our weirdorama neighbors never put out a trash can. Never, not once. By chance, me and my roommate saw their van one night behind some dumpsters at a local office park, and the mom and dad were both standing there tossing bags into the bins.

I don't condone this, but apparently it's easy to just cancel your trash bill and scam your refuse into nearby dumpsters.

Posted by: Resident ()
Date: December 12, 2006 11:15PM

how much is trash service in ffx?

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: December 13, 2006 09:41AM

We have American and generally don't have any problems with them. I think that my neighborhood is 65% AAA and 35% American. I am pretty sure that you have some leverage to negotiate a better price, at least for six months, if you tell AAA that you are changing.

One way that we found to save some money was to opt for once a week pickup. We used to have trash on Tuesday and Friday with recycling on Tuesday, but our trash can was never close to being full. Unless you have fish or chicken in the trash on a hot summer day the Friday pickup works fine. I think that we save about $25-30 per quarter.

Posted by: J ()
Date: December 13, 2006 11:24AM

My H.O.A. uses Jeffreys Trash Service. Don't know what they charge. They do recycling pick-up too. Get some heavy duty cans, cause the throwers will mangle any cheap cans to threads. Don't count on them picking up your trash on scheduled days either. They'll get to it eventually though.

Posted by: 356 ()
Date: December 13, 2006 01:11PM

for white trash, see gravis
for trailer trash, see restonpeace

Date: December 13, 2006 02:16PM

there are county trash/recycling centers.

this is the one i use, which is on picket road (237): http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=38.861141&lon=-77.270895&z=19.8&r=0&src=msl

i attached an image (from microsoft's mapping site... i couldnt make it give me a link) that shows a better view of the blue recycling holders and the brown dumpsters.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540
Attachments:
trashcenter.jpg

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: December 13, 2006 04:10PM

Dear gravis,

I run on that path. Right next to the trash containers on the path leading to the Little League field is a tunnel under Pickett Rd. I always get scared when I run inside that tunnel. Do you think it is safe to run inside that tunnel? Have you ever seen any homeless people hanging around that area? Anyone who looks like a killer??? There are no lights inside the tunnel now. I hate to cross Pickett Road beacuse usually there is lots of trafic. What do you think, Gravis?? Is that tunnel safe????

Trickie

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: December 13, 2006 04:23PM

Gravis hangs out there, reason enough to be worried.

Date: December 13, 2006 05:35PM

TRICKIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear gravis,
>
> I run on that path. Right next to the trash
> containers on the path leading to the Little
> League field is a tunnel under Pickett Rd. I
> always get scared when I run inside that tunnel.
> Do you think it is safe to run inside that tunnel?
> Have you ever seen any homeless people hanging
> around that area? Anyone who looks like a
> killer??? There are no lights inside the tunnel
> now. I hate to cross Pickett Road beacuse usually
> there is lots of trafic. What do you think,
> Gravis?? Is that tunnel safe????
>
> Trickie

ive seen the nearby path but didnt know it went under the street nor that there was a tunnel. i havent seen any homeless in the area lately. as far as it being safe, im quite sure it's FAR safer to take the tunnel than dodging traffic. i have heard of no attacks of any kind in that area. i think this would be best discussed in a new thread.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: December 13, 2006 06:24PM

There is a playground and a Baseball field on the other side of the street from that service area that the tunnel leads to. All perfectly safe area.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: December 13, 2006 10:06PM

I just sent AAA $91.23 for 3 months of once a week service. Seems like yesterday it was $60 sumpin. But these may be legitimate increases....the new (cleaner) diesel fuel is very expensive.

It might also be classic capitalism....I remember when AAA started around here. They significantly undercut the big boys at the time (Waste Management & BFI), and just about everybody switched to AAA. Once they had the lion's share of the market...prices started to climb. They'd be even higher if not for American.

Your best bet is the little guy...but their service area is usually very limited. My mother used a small company that was dirt cheap compared to AAA, but they only serviced a few neighborhoods...I think it was called AC Trash Service.

Posted by: 356 ()
Date: December 13, 2006 11:13PM

shove some of that trash up into your ass and ill bet you'd think it felt good you loser

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: December 16, 2006 12:19PM

Bfi
2813 Juniper St
Fairfax, VA 22031

(703) 560-8866

Waste Management http://www.wm.com/wm/inquire/sales_map.asp

And yes there are homeless people around that path. Now that the leaves are off of the tree you can see a camp set up next to the city shop there.

Posted by: chantillyjosh ()
Date: December 17, 2006 10:51AM

Janz,
You might want to check out American Disposal Services, http://www.american-disposal.com/services.html. Currently they are charging me $83.85 every three months. I believe AAA was charging me $94.95 quarterly. It didn't start out at that price but they kept raising it.
As soon as I switched AAA sent me an offer for cheaper trash service. I thought this was odd that they waited till I left them to offer me cheaper services so I'm sticking with American for now. If you find cheaper let me know.
Oh yeah, I think my neighbor doesn't even have pick up service. He takes his trash directly to the city dump on west ox road in his pick up truck. I guess it's much cheaper than pick up service but not as convenient.
Thanks.
Josh

Posted by: Enough already ()
Date: August 26, 2020 01:18PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.