HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
IRS tax scam
Posted by: Mike Hunts in new car lot ()
Date: January 02, 2018 06:45PM

Check this out.
I get a “CP-14” letter in the mail from IRS saying I owe back interest on tax years 2015& 2016.
I drive a shit ton for uber so I owed BOTH years and paid.

Literally, the day I get the letters, I start getting 800 number phone calls on my cell.

I learned that UBER driver info was hacked last year, and my equifax was hacked too.

My question: when the IRS sends you these notices, do they use ALL 9 digits of your SSN?
Bc I remember the only use the first 5 and then “X” for the last four.

Please help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IRS tax scam
Posted by: This might b real ()
Date: January 02, 2018 08:51PM

Did you call your tax preparer?
Jeeez you’re an idiot thinking some wage slave on ffxu can offer assistance!
Btw, more BODGE sisters but wearing makeup!!!

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: January 02, 2018 09:03PM

Mike Hunts in new car lot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My question: when the IRS sends you these notices,
> do they use ALL 9 digits of your SSN?
> Bc I remember the only use the first 5 and then
> “X” for the last four.
>
> Please help.

I don't know, but I sure hope you have it backwards--the last 4 are pretty standard and thus easy to obtain. 5+4...you've got all 9.

Posted by: nlfbh ()
Date: January 02, 2018 09:08PM

Letters to my clients have the last four digits. Cannot say that the IRS does not use the first five, but I have not seen that so far.

Posted by: dpcwk ()
Date: January 03, 2018 12:30AM

Login to the IRS to see if they sent you anything. They will have the transcripts for your account.

As for SSNs, the first five digits are where you were born (mostly). The last four are some sort of serialization. My brother and I share the same first five digits since we where born in the same hospital but two years apart.

Posted by: Actuary. ()
Date: January 03, 2018 02:03AM

dpcwk Wrote:
> Login to the IRS to see if they sent you anything.
> They will have the transcripts for your account.
>
> As for SSNs, the first five digits are where you
> were born (mostly). The last four are some sort
> of serialization. My brother and I share the same
> first five digits since we where born in the same
> hospital but two years apart.

The first three are where you lived when you applied for your number, Up until 2011 when they did away with this.

I was born in DC but lived in Maryland when I applied for one so the first three numbers are MD numbers 212 to 220, not DC numbers 577 to 579.

Again, since around 2011, the first three numbers are not based where you were when it was assigned, but randomly generated.

The second set is a two digit group number of when the number was assigned.

The last four are your numerical place in that group number 0001 to 9999.

Posted by: Actuary. ()
Date: January 03, 2018 02:09AM

You and your brothers similarity have nothing to do with being brothers. When you applied, assuming before 2011, you had the same first three, one in three probability maximum, probably on the lower end of your states digits, and the same group number probably because you were both born around the same time of year or one of you was born in a slow birth rate year.

Posted by: Actuary ()
Date: January 03, 2018 02:34AM

Before any of you gets your panties tied up in a knot, the second set of numbers (the two digit group number) is used and reused depending on the birthrate and needs of that particular state. Oklahoma, for instance, will have a different scheme for using and reusing group numbers than say New York.

Date: January 03, 2018 07:39AM

Actuary. Wrote:
> You and your brothers similarity have nothing to
> do with being brothers. When you applied,
> assuming before 2011, you had the same first
> three, one in three probability maximum, probably
> on the lower end of your states digits, and the
> same group number probably because you were both
> born around the same time of year or one of you
> was born in a slow birth rate year.

Nope six months different. 211 is also MD. Ask me how I know. Parents lived at the same address and as mentioned bothvborn in the same hospital.

I am also not clear on how some born post 2011 is driving for Uber and paying taxes. I boldly assumed this person is greater than 18 years of age.

Posted by: Thanks I think ()
Date: January 03, 2018 08:20AM

Oh, to add insult to injury, the irs.gov site is DOWN from Jan 1- Jan 8!!!!

So, I cannot verify if these letters are true!!!

If this is a SCAM, this is really well done.

Some glaring issues:
1. Amount “paid” is incorrect.
2. All the 800 phone numbers on letter is the same, which I find odd
3. The tabulated line that calculates all the numerical amounts I “owe” have only a section of the line BOLDFACED. Kinda like some dude going into a kinkos copy shop....i.e. the amount due is prob just a excel cell that the scammer can populate but forgot that the cell already had a boldfaced underscore

Posted by: 800 ()
Date: January 03, 2018 08:29AM

Thanks I think Wrote:
> Oh, to add insult to injury, the irs.gov site is
> DOWN from Jan 1- Jan 8!!!!
>
> So, I cannot verify if these letters are true!!!
>
> If this is a SCAM, this is really well done.
>
> Some glaring issues:
> 1. Amount “paid” is incorrect.
> 2. All the 800 phone numbers on letter is the
> same, which I find odd

Post the 800 number so we can lookup whose number it is

Posted by: Former IRS ()
Date: January 03, 2018 11:43AM

Take the letter to the nearest IRS office. If it is real they should be able to verify it. If not they should be able to put you in touch with the IRS CID.

Date: January 03, 2018 12:59PM

Thanks I think Wrote:
> Oh, to add insult to injury, the irs.gov site is
> DOWN from Jan 1- Jan 8!!!!
>
> So, I cannot verify if these letters are true!!!
>
> If this is a SCAM, this is really well done.
>
> Some glaring issues:
> 1. Amount “paid” is incorrect.
> 2. All the 800 phone numbers on letter is the
> same, which I find odd
> 3. The tabulated line that calculates all the
> numerical amounts I “owe” have only a section
> of the line BOLDFACED. Kinda like some dude going
> into a kinkos copy shop....i.e. the amount due is
> prob just a excel cell that the scammer can
> populate but forgot that the cell already had a
> boldfaced underscore

Where are they asking you to send the money?

Posted by: Answerer of OP questions ()
Date: January 03, 2018 02:09PM

The letters should have an address where to send the money. Verify that this is a real Internal Revenue address.

Did the letter come with material that explains your rights, including the right to dispute and how to go about it. The law requires IRS to send that literature with every bill. If it's not there, the letter's not real.

Internal Revenue never calls you about a bill. They'll talk to you about it if you call, but they never initiate communication by phone or email. The only communication IRS initiates is by letter, usually certified letter. In fact, what they can do by both phone or email is severely limited, the email more than the phone.

I've gotten non-certified letters when there was a mistake on my 1040. When I owed them money but couldn't pay, the letters almost always were certified. If you get a lawyer, usually they send copies to them and you both, so if you get a lawyer, let him know if you get anything from the IRS.

It sounds to me like a scam. I drive a little bit for SCREWber, but I always report anything to my tax professional. One time, recently, I got an Uber request. I'm going to get the passenger, and the phone rings. It wasn't an 800 number, but I thought it was the passenger calling. Turned out it was a robocall from a scammer. It told me to call this number and send money or I was going to be arrested and thrown in jail by the IRS. I ignored it. I'm still not in jail.

It's very rare the IRS can just show up on your doorstep and arrest you. In most cases, they don't put you in jail at all since it's mostly civil instead of criminal. Usually it's when they can prove you deliberately evaded taxes that they throw you in jail. If it's an honest mistake or it's not millions (like Stewart or Helmsley). If it's only a few thousand dollars, they'd rather get you on a Lifetime Payment Plan (where you owe more after a couple of years than when you started to pay them) and let you go about your business. It costs money to throw someone in jail. They make money when you're allowed to pay them.

Posted by: ^^^great answer ()
Date: January 03, 2018 04:48PM

Wow! Great answer!

Date: January 03, 2018 09:23PM

For the two run-ins I have had, the first letter the IRS sent to me about a tax penalty was certified. The subsequent letters were not.

They are also distinctive. It looks like the IRS is using some old school mainframe sgml software. It looks very late 80's. Hard to explain really.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.