HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax High Schools are a DISASTER. So glad my kids go to HS in Arlington!
Posted by: Carol.M ()
Date: December 27, 2017 11:09AM

I hear all the horror stories from coworkers who have the misfortune of living in Fairfax, and must subject their children to the inadequacy of FCPS High Schools. I can do nothing but shake my head at all of the drama that takes place in FCPS High Schools like Lake Braddock on this website.

My kids all go to Yorktown in Northern Arlington, and I must say we are quite lucky. I really don't have to worry about a thing when it comes to their education there. All I really need to deal with is light pot smoking, and padlocking the liquor cabinet so the kids and their friends don't get any bright ideas. The school is pretty much devoid of illegals others who cause problems. If any parents out there can do it, i'd suggest they move to Arlington to take advantage of the wonderful schools here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax High Schools are a DISASTER. So glad my kids go to HS in Arlington!
Posted by: NowYou ()
Date: December 27, 2017 11:14AM

It's called North Arlington and we're all so glad your kids go there too. Now, if you would only stay on the Arlington forum, all things would be good.

Posted by: dsaef ()
Date: December 27, 2017 11:18AM

NowYou Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's called North Arlington and we're all so glad
> your kids go there too. Now, if you would only
> stay on the Arlington forum, all things would be
> good.

No one posts in that forum, and I agree with OP. Fairfax schools are a shit show. Moving to Arlington or Falls Church at the least will be one of my priorities when I get married and start a family. Fairfax is turning in to nothing more than an oversized refugee camp.

Posted by: Depends on the school ()
Date: December 27, 2017 03:17PM

Your kids are in Yorktown. That is the equivalent of someone from Langley or McLean complaining about the overall quality of high schools in Arlington. Friend of mine teaches at APS, so she is allowed to send her kid to the Arlington schools in her pyramid. Since the pyramid high school was Wakefield she chose to have him attend his local Fairfax high school instead.

Posted by: time4achange ()
Date: December 27, 2017 03:50PM

FCPS are usually some of the best!

Just stay away from Lake Braddock, always some kind of drama going on there and the Principal never seems to be aware of it. Every time he is asked about something, he says "I was never made aware of that" I guess no one has followed that up with, "are you even at the school"? It seems a lot goes on there and he never seems to know anything about it.

They have a DOE investigation going on there now, so I cant even imagine all the things that will get uncovered with that.

Posted by: sooui ()
Date: December 27, 2017 04:49PM

Yorktown has plenty of drugs, not just pot. Cocaine, molly, ex. Several students there are waiting for the THC reports from the vapes they got caught with, over 16 percent is a felony. Kids kicked off most sports teams for drugs. And what about the powderpuff football game by Jamestown this fall where 40 or so Yorktown students got arrested for drinking.

Posted by: naah ()
Date: December 27, 2017 05:33PM

time4achange Wrote:
> FCPS are usually some of the best!
>
> Just stay away from Lake Braddock, always some
> kind of drama going on there and the Principal
> never seems to be aware of it. Every time he is
> asked about something, he says "I was never made
> aware of that" I guess no one has followed that up
> with, "are you even at the school"? It seems a lot
> goes on there and he never seems to know anything
> about it.
>
> They have a DOE investigation going on there now,
> so I cant even imagine all the things that will
> get uncovered with that.

South Lakes in Reston is a real shit hole. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind that would send their kid there. Their level of covering up what illegals have done is astounding.

Posted by: Stop Burying Head in Sand ()
Date: December 27, 2017 06:04PM

sooui Wrote:
> Yorktown has plenty of drugs, not just pot.
> Cocaine, molly, ex. Several students there are
> waiting for the THC reports from the vapes they
> got caught with, over 16 percent is a felony. Kids
> kicked off most sports teams for drugs. And what
> about the powderpuff football game by Jamestown
> this fall where 40 or so Yorktown students got
> arrested for drinking.

All are public high schools and most larger private high schools have plenty of drugs and drinking. Whether your kids get involved in that scene has more to do with your kids than the school they attend.

Posted by: TMKXV ()
Date: December 27, 2017 08:11PM

I grew up in Arlington, went to Yorktown (was in walking distance) and graduated in the early 80's. I remember vividly all the cigarette and pot smoking as well as a lot of alcohol in the late 70's and early 80's at Yorktown. Drinking age back then for beer was still 18. I can remember vividly in my 7:15 am Senior English class kids in the back of the class snorting Cocaine first thing in the morning. I remember looking back at these clowns and just thinking like are you freaking kidding me. Where is this crew heading in life?

I went through Elementary, Jr. High and High School in Arlington. No illegals in those days, but we had a bunch of the black kids from Halls Hill near Lee Highway and George Mason Drive and a bunch of black kids bused in from Green Valley in South Arlington near 4 Mile Run and 395. The Green Valley kids were very close to Wakefield and should have gone there. They were mostly problems, they did not want to be there and they added NO value to my upbringing. The majority of these black kids were disorderly, trouble makers and as racist as the day was long. There were very few black kids that were generally decent human beings that you would want to associate with.

To this day this is one of the reasons I trust very few black people. Call me Racist, but this liberal social experiment is what made me dislike black people. Arlington is so freaking Liberal and they have always had these half cocked social ideas and experiments. If you live in Arlington, you want to live in North Arlington and be within the Yorktown District, nothing less. While I would consider the Washington & Lee District borderline, I would not even in the least consider the Wakefield District under any circumstances and it was no different over 30 years ago.

I left the area for a while and when I decided to return, I decided to say NO THANKS to Arlington for many reasons. I moved to Fairfax and while it has its challenges, where I moved near the Tysons area, I have no regrets. It was a very calculated decision based on both my part and my wife's part. My wife went through 13 years of FCPS so we both had a very good understanding of the area and what were were getting into.

Both of our kids went through FCPS and have graduated with what I would consider very good primary educations. Both went on to very good Universities and have very promising futures. Again, there are clearly areas in Fairfax County I would not not want live much less send my kids to school in these area. You have to have your finger of the pulse of any area you live as well as the school District you are going to have kids in.

So for the OP to state they think they know what is going on inside FCPS based on posts here on FFU or within the local news, there are probably very similar issues in Arlington, its just that Fairfax is so much larger with so many more schools there are far more opportunities for sensational news stories, for staff and students to do stupid things and make really bad decisions. It really boils down to how you educated your kids and what kind of guidance they receive from "You", the parent.

I an sure my kids were surrounded by alcohol, drugs, theft, gangs, weapons and so forth, but I brought up my kids to be aware of their surroundings, stay away from trouble kids, stay away from the drugs an if and when alcohol was available to use good judgement, do not over indulge and be smart about their decisions. I had a hard time clamping down too hard on the alcohol because while I was in high school the drinking age for beer was 18, we used to go to DC and I recall the drinking age was 18 and if it wasn't we were in all the bars drinking anyway.

The sad part is kids cannot be kids these days, too many bigger picture consequences, too many stupid hard drugs, too many kids over dosing, too many illegals and gangs and people that will not think twice about taking a machete to cut up someone.

Every area has its challenges and I cannot say 100% Arlington is so much better off than many of the FCPS schools. Sure there are far more FCPS locations I would not have our kids attend, I have no regrets on the education our kids received at FCPS schools. At the end of the day it is all about what you and your kids take away from the experience and how to keep the kids heading in the proper direction regardless where they attend school. Starting with a good school District and foundation is critical.

Posted by: Takedown ()
Date: December 28, 2017 10:49PM

APS is a joke. It’s run by some former gym teacher in FCPS that APS thought would be good because he worked in FCPS. He’s a dolt and only kept around because the School Board can boss him around. They built new high schools smaller than the ones they replaced, right when the enrollment was starting to grow.

Yorktown is a school for drugged white kids, W-L is an overcrowded mess, and Wakefield is their third-world school on par with Lee or Mount Vernon. Oh, and they have HB Woodlawn, which is one of those unstructured 1970s-era schools for the snowflakes who can’t deal with a schedule. FCPS has at least a half-dozen schools that each have as many smart kids as all of APS. The smart Asians avoid APS so most of their Asians are from backwards countries like Pakistan, the Philippines or Mongolia, rather than China, Korea or India.

Some people like APS because it isn’t as competitive as some FCPS schools, but overall it’s just kind of lame. Plus, Arlington is too small to have rec centers, so they stick the pools in the high school buildings, and the schools smell like chlorine and are full of creepy old geezers in their 70s and 80s in the afternoon and evenings.

Posted by: A FCPS "education" ()
Date: December 28, 2017 11:09PM

Attachments:
DSFDwTAUEAE8bm2.jpg

Posted by: chillthefuckout ()
Date: December 28, 2017 11:21PM

There are some FCPS schools which have problems, but plenty of FCPS schools are top notch. Relative to the nation, it is one of the best overall pubic school systems.

A good quarter of my graduating high school class (FCPS school) ended up at UVA, William and Mary or VTech. With plenty more going to other solid state schools (ie:JMU, CNU) and several students attending IVY or top ten private colleges.

I am not sure what the purpose of your post was, but I hope it boosted your self esteem a little bit.

Posted by: Falls Church high school ()
Date: December 29, 2017 08:18AM

Push to get your kids to attend TJHSS&T.
Better than most colleges like GMU and Tech!
Have them test out of many INTRO college classes by taking AP classes their high school years.

Posted by: wdwd r ()
Date: December 29, 2017 06:49PM

1 - Carol.M : FU - Use "Arlington Underground" if you love it and all the Libs so much.

2 - Falls Church high school - TJHSS&T sucks now because the county lowered the standards so much. Half of the new freshman classes take remedial math now.

Posted by: 4eejx ()
Date: December 29, 2017 08:20PM

Problem with TJHSST is not that they lowered their standards. For at least the past 20 years who gets in to TJHSST has had less to do with how well candidates are prepared, and more to do with how well the candidates and their parents game the system. As more parents realize what it takes and play the game, the more there is a disconnect between who is getting in and who is best prepared.

Posted by: DD6KU ()
Date: December 29, 2017 08:32PM

4eejx Wrote:
> Problem with TJHSST is not that they lowered their
> standards. For at least the past 20 years who
> gets in to TJHSST has had less to do with how well
> candidates are prepared, and more to do with how
> well the candidates and their parents game the
> system. As more parents realize what it takes and
> play the game, the more there is a disconnect
> between who is getting in and who is best
> prepared.

^+1 This is such a TRUE statement.

TJ is for nerds and kids with no social skills.

If your kid would fit in there and love to spend a lot of time commuting to school and have a LOT of busy work, then check it out. If your kid is not Asian, then think 2-3 times before you think this is "the place". The Asian kids game the system and cheat their ass off.

If your kid is a "normal" kid that likes to interact with others and has social skills, send them to on of the better FCPS Pyramids in the Eastern part of the county.

Posted by: Fairfax Father of Four ()
Date: December 29, 2017 08:39PM

I moved to the Woodson District for my older two. Yost was VP and Principle then. What a disaster. I watched so many young men’s lives get ruined by him with the support of the ass kissing “coffee club”. Don’t just count the suicides of the kids in school. There were 5-6 of kids a year or two after they graduated. I rent that house out now. You can have it. I have since sent my next two private school. WHAT a difference: attitude, competency, caring, etc. The kids matter. They did not in the “Woodson Pyramid”. The “Dr.” who insisted you call him that at Olde Creek sucked big time. Get a doctorate that gets you more than an ES job. He just covered his ass. I have better graduate degrees than that and I don’t make employees call me Dr. Everything that is wrong with FCPS was presented in my Olde Creek, Frost, and Woodson experience. And, that is supposed to be one of the best? I feel for other clusters.

Posted by: Bh ()
Date: January 02, 2018 02:44AM

If you don’t live in Fairfax anymore why are you on this page to just talk shit lmao? Get a life

Posted by: Soul, South Arlington ()
Date: January 02, 2018 03:15AM

NowYou Wrote:
> It's called North Arlington and we're all so glad
> your kids go there too. Now, if you would only
> stay on the Arlington forum, all things would be
> good.

It's actually called the Democratic People's Republic of North Arlington; they have a strange way of influencing everything in their favor and in detriment of South Arlington.

Posted by: anonymous1 ()
Date: July 26, 2018 02:02PM

"If your kid is not Asian, then think 2-3 times before you think this is "the place". The Asian kids game the system and cheat their ass off."

You sound like one of those parents that think that studying = cheating and the only reason your kid didn't make the cut is because they weren't trying their best or they had allergies that day or some other lame reason for failure that you have been throwing out there every time your kid displayed the failure that you have bred into him by making excuses for them. You're making your kid weaker than they need to be.

The simple fact of the matter is that they study harder than your kids, their parents make more sacrifices than you do, they are willing to watch their kids put themselves through hell to get better at something. You probably call the police if someone gives them too much homework or hurts their feelings.

Posted by: Hank Rockford ()
Date: July 26, 2018 03:04PM

The richer the kids, the harder the drugs. I heard that Yorktown has a heroin problem.

Posted by: North Arlington Limo Lib ()
Date: July 26, 2018 03:07PM

Soul, South Arlington Wrote:
> NowYou Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's called North Arlington and we're all so
> glad
> > your kids go there too. Now, if you would only
> > stay on the Arlington forum, all things would
> be
> > good.
>
>
>
> It's actually called the Democratic People's
> Republic of North Arlington; they have a strange
> way of influencing everything in their favor and
> in detriment of South Arlington.

SHHHHHHHHH

.... heading back to ARLNOW

Posted by: Diehard Liberal ()
Date: July 26, 2018 08:20PM

I moved to North Arlington to make sure I didn't have any niggers living near me. Sure, I appreciate that they do as they're told and vote democrat, but hell if I want their cotton-picking fingers near my property!

Posted by: Lovingteacher69 ()
Date: July 26, 2018 08:41PM

anonymous1 Wrote:
> "If your kid is not Asian, then think 2-3 times
> before you think this is "the place". The Asian
> kids game the system and cheat their ass off."
>
> You sound like one of those parents that think
> that studying = cheating and the only reason your
> kid didn't make the cut is because they weren't
> trying their best or they had allergies that day
> or some other lame reason for failure that you
> have been throwing out there every time your kid
> displayed the failure that you have bred into him
> by making excuses for them. You're making your
> kid weaker than they need to be.
>
> The simple fact of the matter is that they study
> harder than your kids, their parents make more
> sacrifices than you do, they are willing to watch
> their kids put themselves through hell to get
> better at something. You probably call the police
> if someone gives them too much homework or hurts
> their feelings.

He was actually speaking about the huge amount of cheating by south and east Asian students on the TJ entrance exam. The SATs had to be canceled in South Korea due to cheating as recently as 2013, as in the entire country was barred from taking the test. This culture of cheating is overwhelming in India, South Korea and China. No one speaks about it because criticizing or examining unpleasant aspects of non-white people is not allowed.

Posted by: Fcttttt ()
Date: July 29, 2018 09:52PM

Shut up Carol and go back to Arlington -unless you live in fairfax you can’t call our schools crappy!

Posted by: Dorktown ()
Date: July 30, 2018 06:38PM

Hank Rockford Wrote:
> The richer the kids, the harder the drugs. I
> heard that Yorktown has a heroin problem.

I went to Yorktown years ago. There were plenty of drugs there, including a lot of pain meds. Heroin hadn't really taken hold yet because it was easy to get pain meds if you could go to a doctor (and everyone there could). It wouldn't surprise me if heroin is an issue now though. There was a lot of misuse of ADHD meds, too. Most of the popular kids slept around a lot. I could name ten rich, popular girls from my graduating class offhand who had abortions. The boys who got in trouble got quietly schlepped off to Gonzaga, Bishop Ireton, or O'Connell. A lot of the kids had at least misdemeanor charges before graduation for stupid stuff, although their parents ususally bought them out of any serious trouble. But hey, their parents kept them away from poor, brown people so I guess the end goal was achieved!

Posted by: APS Sad System ()
Date: July 30, 2018 10:43PM

Yorktown is just gross. The boys already look like Steve Bannon by the time they’re 16 and the girls look like Sarah Huckabee Sanders. They routinely show up at other schools drunk or stoned.

The W-L kids are mostly skinny emo types who play video games all the time because their parents all work and are never at home.

Wakefield is ghetto but at least they have some attitude.

Posted by: In the real world... ()
Date: July 31, 2018 09:30AM

Actually, Arlington and Fairfax County schools are both good systems.

Posted by: Jazzy Jurice ()
Date: August 04, 2018 12:30PM

Um... wrong!

Carol.M Wrote:
> I hear all the horror stories from coworkers who
> have the misfortune of living in Fairfax, and must
> subject their children to the inadequacy of FCPS
> High Schools. I can do nothing but shake my head
> at all of the drama that takes place in FCPS High
> Schools like Lake Braddock on this website.
>
> My kids all go to Yorktown in Northern Arlington,
> and I must say we are quite lucky. I really don't
> have to worry about a thing when it comes to their
> education there. All I really need to deal with is
> light pot smoking, and padlocking the liquor
> cabinet so the kids and their friends don't get
> any bright ideas. The school is pretty much devoid
> of illegals others who cause problems. If any
> parents out there can do it, i'd suggest they move
> to Arlington to take advantage of the wonderful
> schools here.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.