HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is it common to get your identity stolen by the employees at H&R Block or one of those type companies?
Posted by: Dont wanna b a victim. ()
Date: December 27, 2017 05:15AM

It seems like scummy people work at H&R block and Jackson-Hewitt or Liberty. Giving up all that information to a scumbag, low end person like that seems really unwise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it common to get your identity stolen by the employees at H&R Block or one of those type companies?
Posted by: Tax professional ()
Date: December 27, 2017 01:44PM

That happens all the time. A CPA like me is the only way to go. Tax prep starts at just 375 dollars.

Re: Is it common to get your identity stolen by the employees at H&R Block or one of those type companies?
Posted by: Your Mother ()
Date: December 27, 2017 01:48PM

Sure everything is rigged against you. Get back down the stairs, and stay in the basement.

I'll bring you a snack in a little while.

Posted by: Another tax pro ()
Date: December 27, 2017 03:10PM

When I qualified to file tax returns the IRS had an extensive clearance process for me to go through. However they did not ask one question about the people working for me. I have been in business for 20+ years. I am licensed and regulated by the state. I have insurance. So I have an incentive to try and hire trustworthy people. The same is not true for operations that close up at the end of tax season. If you are going to spend more for your tax preparation than the cost of a Turbotax program, shouldn't you spend enough to hire a competent professional?

Posted by: Phil Intheblanks ()
Date: December 27, 2017 04:47PM

I am pretty sure my identity was stolen that way. It turned out okay but it was a huge hassle that lasted over a year. I use turbo-tax now. You can't trust anyone for sure any more.
If your taxes are too complex for tax software it is well worth the extra expense to get a real accountant. If you are poor and don't have much to lose you are probably okay with one of these cheap tax places.

Posted by: Tax paying man ()
Date: January 07, 2018 04:41PM

If you are broke or close to it one of these places like H&R Block is okay. If your net worth is more than a hundred grand you need a real, trusted accountant.

Posted by: What I do ()
Date: January 08, 2018 12:57AM

is just don't file. I have a hot dog cart, so everybody pays cash. You have to pay an "estimated tax" to DC, but they let vendors just estimate it and pay a flat fee.

I just don't file and don't pay. Nobody knows I exist, except DC, and they know I don't live there, so they don't care as long as I just pay the "estimated tax". IRS and VA don't even know I exist. Have PA DL, so even DMV doesn't know I exist. pay cash for rent. Pay cash for everything else. Owe nobody, pay nobody, get drunk even when I', selling hot dogs. I just pay this guy to come and pick up the cart every night and drive me home. He picks me up in the morning and drags my cart to the corner and I pay him cash. I sell hot dogs and get drunk all day, then go home and get more drunker, I'm drunk now.

Posted by: DNC HQ ()
Date: January 08, 2018 08:34AM

What I do Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is just don't file. I have a hot dog cart, so
> everybody pays cash. You have to pay an
> "estimated tax" to DC, but they let vendors just
> estimate it and pay a flat fee.
>
> I just don't file and don't pay. Nobody knows I
> exist, except DC, and they know I don't live
> there, so they don't care as long as I just pay
> the "estimated tax". IRS and VA don't even know I
> exist. Have PA DL, so even DMV doesn't know I
> exist. pay cash for rent. Pay cash for
> everything else. Owe nobody, pay nobody, get
> drunk even when I', selling hot dogs. I just pay
> this guy to come and pick up the cart every night
> and drive me home. He picks me up in the morning
> and drags my cart to the corner and I pay him
> cash. I sell hot dogs and get drunk all day, then
> go home and get more drunker, I'm drunk now.

That's our kind of Democrat!

Posted by: a victim2 ()
Date: February 16, 2019 03:03PM

Tax paying man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are broke or close to it one of these
> places like H&R Block is okay. If your net worth
> is more than a hundred grand you need a real,
> trusted accountant.

That is damn good advice!

Posted by: LJXDJ ()
Date: February 17, 2019 01:01AM

It depends much on the employees of each local H&R branch. If they come from a country/culture where stealing is common, it is best to avoid. The employees of the local branch reflect the local population. Read the user reviews of the local branch you are planning to use on Google, Yelp, etc. You can also get a gut sense of people behind the counter walking through the door, as they say you can get a very good sense of a person with just a 30 second interview. If its bad, walk out, and if polite (no explanation needed or can use lame excuse "Oh, I just remembered that I forgot to bring a critical document with me.") there is no law against changing your mind in such a situation on the spur of the moment.

Posted by: dumbb ()
Date: February 17, 2019 07:36AM

Beware: Incompetent People work at the H&R block across The street From the FX Library.

Posted by: the answer is............. ()
Date: February 17, 2019 07:43AM

The bottom line here.......

If you are poor (less than 10k in savings) one of the shitty tax places like Liberty H&R Jackson Hewitt is fine.

If you have some money like a couple hundred grand, use the tax software yourself.

If you are fairly wealthy and have multiple assets of say 1 to 2 million. Get up off 400 bucks and use a good Jewish CPA.

2 million and up, use a attorney who has CPA skills and pay what needs to be paid.

Posted by: not a lawyer ()
Date: February 20, 2019 07:18AM

A small percentage of tax preparation people take the job solely to find a couple of victims to steal identities from. They usually prey on the elderly. Best bet is to use the software from block or turbo. Or hire a CPA.

Posted by: Hamas Niggahs ()
Date: February 20, 2019 09:06AM

Stealing identities by “tax preparers” is nothing new.
Larger Question is :
How long can you live without a paycheck?
No one’s gunna steal your identity when your ass cannot manage money.
#need another shutdown to weed out debtors

Posted by: Bolo... ()
Date: February 20, 2019 09:18AM

No, you are much more likely to have your soul stolen when you go to church. Steer clear of those places!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.