HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Non-Smokers Rejoice
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: December 01, 2009 07:15AM

An historic step protecting your health and welfare is here...no more public smoking in restaurants.

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Non-Smokers Rejoice
Posted by: Joseph Stalin ()
Date: December 01, 2009 07:28AM

Like I used to say, "Government knows best!"

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: December 01, 2009 07:28AM

Isn't it time for your morning walk Vince?

Posted by: Elite Club ()
Date: December 01, 2009 09:06AM

Most smokers don't care. It is certainly going to change the dynamic of bars. Now smokers will be a "secret society" gathering outside of the bar to discuss what is going on inside.

Posted by: I'm going to miss them ()
Date: December 01, 2009 09:35AM

I am so glad that our government knows exactly how I want to live my life! It saves me so much time from thinking, if I didn't have Kaine to tell me where and when I can smoke, even if I did smoke, I don't know what I'd do.

What's going to happen to hookah bars? There was no clause put in for them. It's an attack on a heritage and cultural symbol, and an attack on an industry built ENTIRELY on smoking. Good luck having most mom and pop hookah bars stay open after this.

Kaine's idea of my health: 1
Jobs: 0

Posted by: Smoking Not Banned ()
Date: December 01, 2009 09:41AM

Remember smoking is not banned in bars. A bar just needs to separate the smokers from non-smokers and have a separate heating and A\C system.

Most bars are taking a wait and see attitude. Why spend the money to convert the bar if you don't have to. A bar can always convert over later it they want.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: December 01, 2009 09:47AM

***Kaine lauded the legislature's bipartisan support for the bills, and the measures' sponsors -- Sen. Ralph S. Northam, D-Norfolk, and Del. John A. Cosgrove, R-Chesapeake.***

Sounds great to me.

Posted by: White Man ()
Date: December 01, 2009 10:57AM

Oh no not the hookah bars!! I hope every hookah bar closes, they are nothing but a breeding ground for crime and terrorists.

I'm going to miss them Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am so glad that our government knows exactly how
> I want to live my life! It saves me so much time
> from thinking, if I didn't have Kaine to tell me
> where and when I can smoke, even if I did smoke, I
> don't know what I'd do.
>
> What's going to happen to hookah bars? There was
> no clause put in for them. It's an attack on a
> heritage and cultural symbol, and an attack on an
> industry built ENTIRELY on smoking. Good luck
> having most mom and pop hookah bars stay open
> after this.
>
> Kaine's idea of my health: 1
> Jobs: 0

Posted by: Pink-Lungs ()
Date: December 01, 2009 11:15AM

I'm a non-smoker but I'm not rejoicing. If a person wants to sink their savings - or risk a loan - on a restaurant, he or she should be allowed to let patrons smoke. If you, as a consumer don't like the idea of people smoking in his/her restaurant, then you can exercise your choice whether to come in or stay out.

Kaine is against CHOICE!!!!!

That bastard.

I thought Democraps were in favor of CHOICE!!!!

But ... NO ... they are making the CHOICE for us.

Posted by: White Boy ()
Date: December 01, 2009 12:20PM

Even if it is, I've been going for a long time and I love it. I'm an upstanding, republican, American, white child, and these people are great. Insensitive bastard!

PS, I love your satirical stance!

White Man Wrote:
> Oh no not the hookah bars!! I hope every hookah
> bar closes, they are nothing but a breeding ground
> for crime and terrorists.

Date: December 01, 2009 06:06PM

It should be up to the owner whether or not their establishment is smoking or not. Whats next, no smoking inside your own home?

Posted by: Otis ()
Date: December 01, 2009 06:41PM

un-fairfax aboveground Wrote:
> It should be up to the owner whether or not their
> establishment is smoking or not. Whats next, no
> smoking inside your own home?

Next will be no food with fat and a limit on the number of drinks served.

Posted by: I LIKE CHOICE ()
Date: December 01, 2009 07:23PM

I figured J. Gilberts in McLean would take care of that problem, but alas I got an e-mail saying come on in for free cigars, the cigars are OVER!!!

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: December 01, 2009 07:49PM

I'm so glad there is a law forcing tavern-owners to bend for Vince.

Posted by: eric6797 ()
Date: December 01, 2009 07:53PM

i really dont agree with the "slippery slope" argument that the banning (to some extent at least) or indoor smoking will lead to further restrictions on things such as food and alcohol.

smoking is unique in that when it is done in any indoor manner it presents a health concern to the person nearby who is not smoking. a single person smoking in a bar with 50 people can actually create a health hazard for 50 people. I think it is prudent to ban indoor smoking, your choice should not effect my health.

also i am getting a bit tired of the smokers and bar owners "civil rights" argument as well. what about the civil rights of the MAJORITY of the country that do not smoke? What about those who have health conditions that are aggravated by the presence of smoke? why are the civil rights of those who are trying to eat dinner worth less then those of a smoker?

i feel that smoking is fine as long as it is done in a manner which does not harm people who don't smoke. should some 22 year old bar tender who doesn't smoke really be exposed to what some studies claim as the equivalent of a pack of cigarettes in a single nights work?

i really like the way this new law is written. It allows bar owners and smokers to exercise their rights in a manner that will have no ill health effects on the vast majority of people. I really think that Virginia struck a good balance allow separate smoking areas and cigar bars.

If you disagree i understand however please explain why your decision to smoke indoors should be allowed to effect my health?

Date: December 01, 2009 07:56PM

Post too long. Didn't read.

Date: December 01, 2009 08:02PM

^To the above poster.

A bar is private business. Nobody is forcing you or anybody else to go to a bar that allows smoking.

I don't agree with your argument. If a bar was a public place I can see enforcing a law on the establishment. Perhaps a law that states a bar must place a smoking or non-smoking symbol at the entrance.

As for the bartenders, about 90% of them smoke. You have probably never seen them smoke because bars have a standard policy that bartender are not allowed to smoke while serving or in the bar.

Posted by: eric6797 ()
Date: December 01, 2009 08:20PM

a bar is a private place in one sense however by law it is defined as a place of public accommodation.

this is why bars have things like handicap restrooms, ramps, and other features.

Otis, did you think that bar owners installed things like this out of the goodness of their hearts? of course not. they are required in order to get building permits and meet multiple codes, laws, and requirements as PLACES OF PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION.

This designation also allows things such as health inspections and fire inspections.

I am in favor of private ownership and capitolism but a true laissex-faire policy, that you appear to advocate, hasn't been in place in america since somewhere around the 1880's with the rise of workers rights, OSHA, and the dramatic rise in regulation that followed.

to a certain extent some level of regulation is necessary. fire codes, building safety codes, ADA compliance, and other regulations that protect the health of occupants, customers, and employees of businesses.

so please explain with this new understanding of a bar, and pretty much any in-house service business, as a place of public accommodation.

Posted by: GrapeApe ()
Date: December 01, 2009 08:42PM

I own bar.
I allow customer to smoke in bar.
You don't smoke, you don't come in.
I lose your business.
I don't care.
Smoker pay well.
Non-smoker don't pay well.
I put sign in window saying you smoke in bar.
You don't smoke.
You don't come in.
Cover charge- $10 pack of smoke.
I have acts.
Smokey Robinson .
Nick O"Teen.
Smokin' Joe.
I like factory with smoke stack.
Factory with smoke stack employ people.
I like smoke signals.
You not know what they mean.

Me go smoke, BRB.

Date: December 01, 2009 08:56PM

My opinion hasn't changed. I believe it is a private business choice. It is obvious if people are smoking or not and one can clearly make a decision to not enter.

If a bar wants the girls to wear bikinis and serve me that should be allowed too, not limited. I like to see a little cleavage and some hot outfits. How ridiculous is that law to limit what bartenders can wear? Why not just give them state uniforms?

In contrast you do not know and cannot see if the back room has a health hazard or if the ceiling doesn't have the correct beams in the ceiling. Those are hidden dangers.

Handicapped ramps, that should be up to the owner.

Posted by: curious ()
Date: December 02, 2009 05:48AM

If they ban smoking in va restaurants- could they at least allow a few (real) bars to open?

Posted by: dono ()
Date: December 02, 2009 10:06AM

boo fucking hoo - you cant light up next to a family having dinner. Go Cheney yourself. I wish the Govt would ban smoking from any area within 100 feet of any public place.

I love watching the addicts in the glass rooms in the airports swimming in their own shit - makes me smile. Its just so good to see them inhaling crappy second-hand smoke. Also, they should ban filters - its a load of crap. I mean if you want some tar and nicotine why the hell draw your fix through a fucking diaper? Be real men and women and breathe that shit straight in were your lungs can take full advantage of the chemicals and solids. Filter pussies.

Sum up: Leave non-smokers alone; smoke MORE if you smoke; Filters are for Fags; Man-up and enjoy all the chemicals and solids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2009 10:07AM by dono.

Posted by: smoky ()
Date: December 03, 2009 08:03AM

Actually, they should ban families in restaurants so we don't have to listen to some whiny brat screaming and their parents totally ignoring them. i love seeing parents sitting in the crying room at church swimming in their own poopies!

Date: December 03, 2009 09:02PM

I don't understand when 40-year-old yuppies who can't let go of their youth bring their screaming brats into bars for dinner and then get pissed off when people use foulf language...in a bar.

Catch a hint: you are a dad or a mom now. Put down the ipod, buy a dorky minivan and grow up already.

And for gods sake, take that 3-lane wide baby stroller somewhere else instead of taking up the whole bike trail with it. I suggest the left lane of the Beltway.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: December 03, 2009 09:23PM

tomahawk Wrote:
> I don't understand when 40-year-old yuppies who
> can't let go of their youth bring their screaming
> brats into bars for dinner and then get pissed off
> when people use foulf language...in a bar.
>
> Catch a hint: you are a dad or a mom now. Put down
> the ipod, buy a dorky minivan and grow up
> already.
>
> And for gods sake, take that 3-lane wide baby
> stroller somewhere else instead of taking up the
> whole bike trail with it. I suggest the left lane
> of the Beltway.

What does this have to do with smoking or not smoking in bars? Please try to stay on topic. btw, it is an iphone, ipods are so yesterday.

Now where was I? oh yes, choice. Bar owners have a choice to section off a separate room and ventilate if they want to have smokers.

I'm off to walk the triplets. ttys

Posted by: Hookah Mom ()
Date: December 23, 2009 03:48PM

you are ridiculous.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: December 23, 2009 06:18PM

Technically speaking I believe VA ABC law says it's a violation of law to sell alcohol in a establishment were obscene or lewd conduct is exhibited. Foul language would count as obscene.

I don't think there is an actual code for when kids can and cannot be in a bar. It's up to each individual bar to establish those rules. You could maybe say technically that a drink might be between to adults and in front of a kid and that would violate the VA ABC law.

Personally I think any parent who has their kid in the bar area is nuts. Especially babies-10 years old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 06:19PM by Lurker..

Posted by: been smoking ()
Date: December 23, 2009 08:55PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> An historic step protecting your health and
> welfare is here...no more public smoking in
> restaurants.

???

You can still smoke in the good restaurants

Posted by: 419+1 ()
Date: December 24, 2009 02:13AM

Otis Wrote:
> un-fairfax aboveground Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It should be up to the owner whether or not
> their
> > establishment is smoking or not. Whats next,
> no
> > smoking inside your own home?
>
> Next will be no food with fat and a limit on the
> number of drinks served.

yes because putting a number on drinks would be sooooo horrible, what would we do without hangovers, drinking related car accidents, drunk sex which results in STDs and accidental pregnancies, alcohol posioning, assult/crime due to intoxication, and liver disease??!

Date: December 24, 2009 08:03PM

419+1 Wrote:
> Otis Wrote:
> -----
> > un-fairfax aboveground Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > It should be up to the owner whether or not
> > their
> > > establishment is smoking or not. Whats next,
> > no
> > > smoking inside your own home?
> >
> > Next will be no food with fat and a limit on
> the
> > number of drinks served.
>
>
> yes because putting a number on drinks would be
> sooooo horrible, what would we do without
> hangovers, drinking related car accidents, drunk
> sex which results in STDs and accidental
> pregnancies, alcohol posioning, assult/crime due
> to intoxication, and liver disease??!

If you don't like life stay indoors. Life isn't safe, everybody dies eventually. But life can at least be fun, as long as dickheads like you are kept in check.

Posted by: FoolSmacker ()
Date: December 25, 2009 08:50PM

419+1 Wrote:
>
> yes because putting a number on drinks would be
> sooooo horrible, what would we do without
> hangovers, drinking related car accidents, drunk
> sex which results in STDs and accidental
> pregnancies, alcohol posioning, assult/crime due
> to intoxication, and liver disease??!

I don't need the government tell me "what's best" for me. Based on their track record, they have no idea what is best for any of us.

It's all about freedom.... which includes the freedom to act like an idiot sometimes. Yes, that includes putting yourself at risk for STDs and liver disease. Every drinker knows the risks going in.

Life is full of risks... always has been, always will be. And in general, people wouldn't want it any other way.

---------------------------------
Who knows from whence he came, and who knows where he goes, dot dot dot.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.