HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...23456789101112All...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 25
Re: High School Football 2018
Posted by: URA Dumbass ()
Date: August 13, 2018 03:35PM

South Lakes will be 9-1, lose to c-ville. Their schedule is so easy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL sucks ()
Date: August 13, 2018 04:09PM

You must be dyslexic, try 1-9. Your best days graduated and coach left town.

Posted by: Uh...Huh... ()
Date: August 13, 2018 04:12PM

SL rats will be 8-2... they will lose to Yorktown too...on Homecoming...

Posted by: SL sucks ()
Date: August 13, 2018 04:42PM

They lose to open season vs Woodson 0-1
Lose to FC 0-2
Lose to Oakton 0-3
Lose to 4A Dominion 0-4
Lose to Wildcats 0-5
Win against Langley. 1-5
Win (close one) against W&L 2-5
Win against McLean 3-5
Lose to Yorktown 3-6
Win against Herndon 4-6.
Coach Taylor knew this was coming down the pipeline and skipped town, otherwise he wouldn’t jumped at the FHS job 2 yrs ago when it came available but he knew he had a chance to do something special with Mensah & Alston. Now that they’re gone if you’re gonna suck may as well have a short commute. Fairfax will he 2-8. They still stink. Started has no arm and no one to throw to and no line and there is nothing coming up behind him.

Posted by: whthl ()
Date: August 14, 2018 12:37PM

6A Watcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Speaking of which, I’d like to read more about
> CVHS or MHS even LBSS just anyone than the WHS.
> How’s Haddocks team looking? Year 2 under
> Counts, can Warhawks make a serious run? Same with
> Bruins, year 2 will they get off to a better
> start?

Here's an interview with Haddock if you haven't seen it. Always hard to evaluate his comments because he is the ultimate cheerleader.

https://mvp.gamedaymagazine.com/members/media/2018-camp-quick-hits-centreville-wildcats/

Would never COUNT Madison out. Westfield-Madison-Centreville in Concorde District. Really believe any of these three could win it. Oakton will not challenge and Chantilly will be improved but improved from 0-10.

Was really impressed with John Finney from Madison. Don't know why he is not getting more recruiting attention.

Date: August 14, 2018 12:52PM

...same with Warhawks safety Max Wysocki...he just looks bigger... (and a Redskins legacy..grandfather played for them back in the day)

Those three, Westfield-Madison-Centreville, is really going to come down to line play, which coach calls a better game and whether James Madison home field really is an advantage for those two games.

Posted by: EGCDF ()
Date: August 14, 2018 01:06PM

As much that is being made of WHS lack of size on the lines, did you all look closely at that video clip of CVHS? Is Haddock standing with the JV team? Wow, they do not look like the Wildcats team of old or even last year. Wonder how Madison’s squad looks?

Posted by: Locofootball ()
Date: August 15, 2018 01:17AM

Hearing there are a lot of investigations into ineligible transfers this season. Wonder how many schools will end up having to forfeit games?

How will all of the reports be investigated before the season starts? How are the transfers “verified” as eligible?

Do they actually do home checks to verify moves have actually occurred?

They should just do away with so many mediocre teams and combine some schools into 1 team. All of the schools opening are destroying athletic.

Posted by: coaches ()
Date: August 15, 2018 01:25AM

I call BS. No school district in Northern VA has ever done anything about transfers. VHSL has zero authority. Without a school hiring private investigators, there's just no proof. So, don't get your hopes up!

Posted by: Firstandten ()
Date: August 15, 2018 06:04PM

What do you mean VHSL has no authority? Aren’t they in charge of all the rules?

Posted by: Only way ()
Date: August 15, 2018 06:04PM

One way to stop cheating is if each school system makes Regulations to have student-athletes participate in athletics wherever they live. They can go to another school for a specialty program, but have to play at the school where they live. That will clearly show kids are going to other schools for academic purposes only. Not for athletics.

Not sure if folks know that a school system trumps VHSL eligibility policies by the way of a superintendents waiver. Which are granted more times than not. So a school system has the power to keep student athletes from transferring for athletic purposes.

Date: August 15, 2018 07:23PM

So nieves, mostly, each school district inforces their employment contracts and disciplinary actions of the teachers and students. VHSL sets Gudelines for student athlete eligibility but has no enforcement ability.

The school district has to receive a formal complaint about ineligible players and/or recruiting violations. THEN, the school district has to decide what to do about the complaint.

1. Without documented violations from a private investigator, no school will issue a complaint. The problem is that no schools likely will incur the cost of the PHONE WITH. All the coaches, boosters and players know that! So, recruiting goes on with impunity.

2. The only case that I know of which resulted in a penalty was with Ocean Lakes. They had a player which actually had an apartment in district but the kid was living there by himself! Who knows how & whom paid for it. Their penalty was a forfeit of the whole previos seasons games. THEN, they got caught enticing several know D's to change school districts ONLY because of a Facebook posting and news article how a bunch of kids who played for the VA Beach Mustangs planned to all play for Coach Chris Scott when he was at Ocean Lakes. Most of those kinds should have played at a different High School! Their penalty despite a clear second Offense by coach Scott was that he was suspended for five games. THEN, when he violated his suspension, he got a whole 2 more game suspension. That team was ranked #6 in the country but lost in the playoffs!

3. So, I'll say it again, nothing really happens even when some gets caught red handed. The press actually covered this to make it sound like Ocean Lakes was a victim in this whole thing. When Chris Scott left for Bishop Sullivan, he took about 8 kids with him. TCIS suspended ALL sports from BSCHS from any playoffs for 3 years! The press AGAIN, made everything sound like Chris Scott was the victim! AND,the TCIS lifted the ban except for football for this year.

4. Bottom line, unless YOU have a lot of influence AND the press/media becomes supportive and interested in kids transferring, NOTHING is EVER going to happen.

Every state has similar rules & similar problems. But, until the coaches find a way to self govern themselves OR Coaches are treatened to have their teacher's license revoked over improper transfers, NOTHING is going to happen, period!

Date: August 15, 2018 08:07PM

That Ocean Lakes team won the 2014 Class/Division 6 State Championship then was caught recuiting. But official offense was only proselytizing recuits. IF there was ever a case for forfeiting a State Championship, it was that 2014 Title of Ocean Lakes. They were caught AND it was their SECOND offense!!!

Posted by: uu6ng ()
Date: August 16, 2018 02:16PM

I see I'm not the only one that believes Madison is the dark horse for the 2018 season. The Warhawks are not going to be any worse than last year and it seems pretty obvious that Westfield and Centreville will be.

Madison returns a big chunk of an already tough defense (6 starters plus a number of contributors). Their defensive line while not huge is strong and they have most of them coming back (Paul, Counts, Rhodes).

They have a couple of returning offensive lineman (Almanza + Gardner), a decent QB and a great receiver in Finney. They may have lost RB Walker but they will find a couple of performers.

Madison is a hard-nosed tough football team and the 2018 version is going to give the Concorde teams a difficult time.

Posted by: Uh...Huh ()
Date: August 16, 2018 02:34PM

They didn't lose Brandon Walker...he is a senior this year. (Koshuta RB and Williams FB graduated). Lineman Gardner has a foot injury from the Woodgrove scrimmage...may have a whole to fill. The backup QB Yates is pretty darn good too, ran a lot of option in the Woodgrove scrimmage. Add Schrader to the list of those coming back on defense. UU6NG is right these kids aren't "huge" but they're strong , quick to the ball,and well coached. (but that can be said of Westfield and Centerville)

Posted by: wrong about sl ()
Date: August 16, 2018 04:15PM

SL sucks Wrote:
> They lose to open season vs Woodson 0-1
> Lose to FC 0-2
> Lose to Oakton 0-3
> Lose to 4A Dominion 0-4
> Lose to Wildcats 0-5
> Win against Langley. 1-5
> Win (close one) against W&L 2-5
> Win against McLean 3-5
> Lose to Yorktown 3-6
> Win against Herndon 4-6.
> Coach Taylor knew this was coming down the
> pipeline and skipped town, otherwise he wouldn’t
> jumped at the FHS job 2 yrs ago when it came
> available but he knew he had a chance to do
> something special with Mensah & Alston. Now that
> they’re gone if you’re gonna suck may as well
> have a short commute. Fairfax will he 2-8. They
> still stink. Started has no arm and no one to
> throw to and no line and there is nothing coming
> up behind him.

I'm not going to call SL a contender by any means but predicting them to start 0-4 with that schedule is just as much if not more of a reach. Taylor took the FHS job because his kid is going there not just because of the loss of Miles, Alston and Mensah. Bailing on SL for FHS would make no sense from a talent/potential standpoint. Alston and Mensah are tough to replace but Miles younger brother will take over the QB role and may prove to be even better.

They'll lose to C'ville and possibly Ytown and at the most one more if there's a better than expected surprise team on their schedule this year. I'll go with 7-3.

Posted by: Coach Moves ()
Date: August 16, 2018 05:03PM

Why would Taylor leave SL for FHS? Really?

Did Counts stay on at Madison? I heard he did not like being a HC.

How long with the Ram boosters let Vossler go like this?

I heard it did not go well with Van Acker at WTW last year. Also, could he have more discarded BRYC youth coaches on one team?

How long does Doc have at LB?

Posted by: EU7YK ()
Date: August 16, 2018 05:10PM

If Taylor wanted the FHS so bad, then why didn’t he take it when it opened up 2 seasons ago? Why, I’ll tell you why, cuz he knew what he had with Alston, Mensah & Miles along with big Dave Kroll & Funaki. All that talent graduated and the cupboard is bare at SL. If you think SL is going to do any better than 6-4 you are seriously delusional or you’re on the coaching staff. Taylor decided he’d rather suck and have a shorter commute. FHS will never be good. I saw their 7v7 and the varsity QB has a noodle arm. Can’t wait for al these teams SL ran the score up on the past several extract their revenge against SL & coach Raylor at FHS.

Date: August 16, 2018 05:13PM

@Coach Moves said, "Did Counts stay on at Madison? I heard he did not like being a HC."

Well, that's bulls$%#... On the sideline for the Warhawks as we speak. Doubt he would give it up when his son is a senior on the team.

Posted by: Area FB Observer ()
Date: August 16, 2018 05:38PM

Doc will be fine as long as he keeps his spending in check.

Van Acker is the only Woodson coach to compete with South County let alone beat them.

Vossler has had one losing season in which they lost to Westfield, Stone abridge, and Centreville by one score.

All are in good shape and solid coaches.

Posted by: fb observer2 ()
Date: August 16, 2018 06:21PM

Robinson and LB should be contending for state titles in football every year!
One and done in the playoffs means the teams are under achieving and that's coaching.

Robinson under Bendorf and LB under Poythress were always contending. Bendorf won 2 state titles, while Poythress didn't win a state title, his teams were always a force. I cant see Robinson sticking with Vossler, if they have another sub par year. LB with Daughtery, has the most talent, if he cant win with that, then he should be out as well.

The Woodson guy, Van Acker, if he can go 6-4, 7-3 with the limited talent at Woodson, he may be the next Robinson or LB coach.

Posted by: Talent ()
Date: August 16, 2018 06:46PM

Contending for state title takes some major talent. While at Robinson Bendorf had some major division 1 players at the skill positions. Poythress also had some major skill talent on his best teams. Do you see those players on Lake Braddock and Robinson’s rosters now? These teams have talent more like Oakton and Woodson than the Westfields, Centrevilles, and Woodbridge’s of today. The high end talent has moved South and West.

Posted by: uu6ng ()
Date: August 16, 2018 06:49PM

Uh...Huh Wrote:
> They didn't lose Brandon Walker...he is a senior
> this year. (Koshuta RB and Williams FB graduated).
> Lineman Gardner has a foot injury from the
> Woodgrove scrimmage...may have a whole to fill.
> The backup QB Yates is pretty darn good too, ran a
> lot of option in the Woodgrove scrimmage. Add
> Schrader to the list of those coming back on
> defense. UU6NG is right these kids aren't "huge"
> but they're strong , quick to the ball,and well
> coached. (but that can be said of Westfield and
> Centerville)

For some reason I thought Walker was gone but I stand corrected. Schrader is who I was referring to by a contributor - he made some nice plays in the playoff game against Centreville.

Posted by: 2015?? ()
Date: August 16, 2018 06:59PM

Not sure if I’m mixing this up but didn’t Lake Braddock and Robinson make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs a couple years ago. Where those different coaches?

Posted by: lookatthe talent ()
Date: August 16, 2018 07:04PM

Talent Wrote:
> Contending for state title takes some major
> talent. While at Robinson Bendorf had some major
> division 1 players at the skill positions.
> Poythress also had some major skill talent on his
> best teams. Do you see those players on Lake
> Braddock and Robinson’s rosters now? These
> teams have talent more like Oakton and Woodson
> than the Westfields, Centrevilles, and
> Woodbridge’s of today. The high end talent has
> moved South and West.

I dont see Westfield with major division 1 talent and they contend every year, they just have great coaching. They coach what they have and get the most out of them.

All I am saying is Robinson and LB have very good talent every year, if coached up, they could be a force.

If you put Westfield staff at Robinson or LB, they would contend every year!

Posted by: Agree ()
Date: August 16, 2018 07:19PM

Westfields staff is great, but they aren’t talentless. I don’t think they’d trade rosters with anyone except maybe Cville or South County in FCPS.
People also forget that Westfield took their licks from people on this board for the 1st half of this decade. Then they got on a roll. It took some time and patience to get to where they are now. Maybe that’s their secret.

Posted by: Mckdjnd ()
Date: August 16, 2018 09:21PM

Any updates on Chantilly scrimmage vs Langley?

Posted by: R u serious? ()
Date: August 16, 2018 09:33PM

Mckdjnd Wrote:
> Any updates on Chantilly scrimmage vs Langley?

Best of the worst bowl? I think a combined 130/155 VYI A-Team could compete with either team, def wouldn’t be out coached, actually give the nod to the VYI team.

Posted by: Lb19 ()
Date: August 16, 2018 10:32PM

LB junior class very weak as seen tonight. It will be a good 2018 but very difficult 2019 for the bruins

Posted by: HSfootballfan ()
Date: August 17, 2018 10:33AM

So what’s everyone thinking about the Loudoun Co teams this year?

Stone Bridge
Broad Run
Tuscarora
Rock Ridge
Riverside
Dominion

I know there are more...

Posted by: jyxjh ()
Date: August 17, 2018 12:48PM

HSfootballfan Wrote:
> So what’s everyone thinking about the Loudoun Co
> teams this year?
>
> Stone Bridge
> Broad Run
> Tuscarora
> Rock Ridge
> Riverside
> Dominion
>
> I know there are more...

Top 5 are:
1. Broad Run
2. Tuscarora
3. Stone Bridge
4. Champe
5. Potomac Falls

Posted by: Bulldogs of LOCO ()
Date: August 17, 2018 01:58PM

SB will be king of the mtn in Loudoun Co once again. Mickey has recruited some of his best talent in years.
Then Tusky & Broad Run & Champe (cuz their recruiting game is nowhere near as strong as Mickey’s)

Posted by: Talent + Coaching Wins ()
Date: August 17, 2018 02:17PM

RE "Contending for state title takes some major talent. While at Robinson Bendorf had some major division 1 players at the skill positions. Poythress also had some major skill talent on his best teams. Do you see those players on Lake Braddock and Robinson’s rosters now? These teams have talent more like Oakton and Woodson." Exactly! LB, WTW, and Robinson have lost their youth feeder program. BRYC is a mess. Only one competing American level team the last 6-7 years. And, that coach recruits from outside BRYC territory so those kids are not going to LB, WTW, and RHS. Over the last ten years BRYC has gone down. All youth clubs are down but it is really bad at BRYC. Great coaches were fired due to whiney parents. Others left for other clubs or just quit. Even the one year Pannoni took WTW to the regional final against North Stafford, 75% of the kids were from BRYC and most went both ways. I have heard from one parent they have about 100 players. In their heyday that was well over 300.

Posted by: recrutin ()
Date: August 17, 2018 04:30PM

Talent + Coaching Wins Wrote:
> RE "Contending for state title takes some major
> talent. While at Robinson Bendorf had some major
> division 1 players at the skill positions.
> Poythress also had some major skill talent on his
> best teams. Do you see those players on Lake
> Braddock and Robinson’s rosters now? These teams
> have talent more like Oakton and Woodson."
> Exactly! LB, WTW, and Robinson have lost their
> youth feeder program. BRYC is a mess. Only one
> competing American level team the last 6-7 years.
> And, that coach recruits from outside BRYC
> territory so those kids are not going to LB, WTW,
> and RHS. Over the last ten years BRYC has gone
> down. All youth clubs are down but it is really
> bad at BRYC. Great coaches were fired due to
> whiney parents. Others left for other clubs or
> just quit. Even the one year Pannoni took WTW to
> the regional final against North Stafford, 75% of
> the kids were from BRYC and most went both ways.
> I have heard from one parent they have about 100
> players. In their heyday that was well over 300.

Speaking of recruiting - I am seeing Chantilly Youth (CYA) football signs all over Centreville. I know it is informal but the signs are in Centreville where traditionally the kids would go with SYA. Interesting.

Posted by: Fcyl ()
Date: August 17, 2018 05:08PM

Participation is done 650 kids from last year. Current methods to get kids into tackle are not succeeding. Need several outvteach programs through out the year involving league and Hs coaches in elementary schools and middle schools to get participation back on track. Days of opening up registration and having them line up is no longer good enough.there is a new 800lb gorilla on the block and that is the flag league that is backed by the marketing machine of the NFL. They started having a fall season a few years ago and now they have stolen our market share. Coaches, start thinking of this as a business, how do we get our fair share back? Whatever it is it needs to be a concerted group effort by everyone at ALL LEVELS!

Posted by: Football Fan ()
Date: August 17, 2018 06:16PM

recrutin Wrote:
> Talent + Coaching Wins Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > RE "Contending for state title takes some major
> > talent. While at Robinson Bendorf had some
> major
> > division 1 players at the skill positions.
> > Poythress also had some major skill talent on
> his
> > best teams. Do you see those players on Lake
> > Braddock and Robinson’s rosters now? These
> teams
> > have talent more like Oakton and Woodson."
> > Exactly! LB, WTW, and Robinson have lost their
> > youth feeder program. BRYC is a mess. Only
> one
> > competing American level team the last 6-7
> years.
> > And, that coach recruits from outside BRYC
> > territory so those kids are not going to LB,
> WTW,
> > and RHS. Over the last ten years BRYC has gone
> > down. All youth clubs are down but it is
> really
> > bad at BRYC. Great coaches were fired due to
> > whiney parents. Others left for other clubs or
> > just quit. Even the one year Pannoni took WTW
> to
> > the regional final against North Stafford, 75%
> of
> > the kids were from BRYC and most went both ways.
>
> > I have heard from one parent they have about
> 100
> > players. In their heyday that was well over
> 300.
>
> Speaking of recruiting - I am seeing Chantilly
> Youth (CYA) football signs all over Centreville.
> I know it is informal but the signs are in
> Centreville where traditionally the kids would go
> with SYA. Interesting.

I assume that you are referring to the Westfield area Centreville? The Westfield program has always had kids from multiple programs such as CYA and the youth program at Herndon (I forgot what it is called), not just SYA so I don't think the sign you saw signifies any change.

Posted by: peeppeep ()
Date: August 17, 2018 06:26PM

HSfootballfan Wrote:
> So what’s everyone thinking about the Loudoun Co
> teams this year?
>
> Stone Bridge
> Broad Run
> Tuscarora
> Rock Ridge
> Riverside
> Dominion
>
> I know there are more...

Top 5 are:
1. Broad Run
2. Tuscarora
3. Stone Bridge
4. Champe
5. Potomac Falls

Big Three this year will once again dominate Loudoun.

Surprised previous poster picked Broad Run # 1, as they have had very strong teams last 5 years, but can't see to get over the hump. They do look to have the best talent RETURNING, but, as we all know, that doesn't mean that they had the best year RECRUITING.

I like their athleticism with D1 QB and D1 RB. Lots of speed on defense, but are they big enough up front on both sides of the ball? Can Griffis win a big game?

Tusky is big, real big. However, they lost Burnett and that has to be a loss. Also, their QB has a broken arm and a recently-acquired DUI. Interesting to see when he is allowed back. He is a playmaker, to be sure.

Stone Bridge is not as strong up front as in past years, but that just might be the way it is all across NOVA this year. Poached Oakton stud and of course, pillaged Rock Ridge. If they can't beat Doc and Lake Braddock early, might be indicative that Thompson wasn't able to recruit enough horses this year for deep run.

Best of the Rest -

Woodgrove will be solid. Big TE is headed to JMU, but not sure their QB can throw well enough to go far in the playoffs. They also get Tusky and Broad Run early, so they will know quickly if they can compete before headed to 5A next year. Skinner is a damn good recruiter too.

Champe lost a ton of offensive talent, and they had a helluva time stopping the top offenses last year. Interesting match up next week against Friendship Collegiate from DC. Looking at a couple of steps back, I would think. They do have at least 500 more kids than any other Loudoun school, so that might help. 6A next year.

Potomac Falls is well coached but they lost a lot and look small and not particularly fast. Let's see if they can keep Broad Run under 40 next week.

Heritage was a surprise last year, but their head coach (a good one) just resigned last week to take an AD job.Tough task this late into it.

Dominion picked up a couple of Park View kids last week, so you would assume that anyone transferring to play football is decent. Might help them out. They have been a solid 4A team past couple of years.

Briar Woods has honestly sucked since McSorley left. New coach, but their best underclassman transferred. Glory days are well past them.

The other schools are really, really bad. Should put them in a conference with Edison, Lee, Falls Church, and TJ. That would at least be competitive.

As always Loudoun has a lot of talent, especially in the East. I enjoyed the 5A Loudoun schools playing 6A Fairfax schools a couple of years ago.

Bottom line, none of the 5A Loudoun teams can beat Huighland Springs, so another year with no state champ from NOVA.

4A teams certainly don't have enough to challenge programs like Salem and Blacksburg.

Any questions? :)

Posted by: lb19 ()
Date: August 17, 2018 07:22PM

What will cost lake braddock the most next year is they do not hve poythress recruiting for them anymore. He was a much better recruiter than doc.

Posted by: jfddfjjdjdjddjddry ()
Date: August 17, 2018 07:59PM

peeppeep Wrote:
>blah blah blah....... but, as we all
> know, that doesn't mean that they had the best
> year RECRUITING.
>
> blah blah

high schools do not recruit

any questions?

Posted by: notsteve2k ()
Date: August 17, 2018 11:49PM

Is there any chance steve2k will come on board to make weekly picks this season?

Posted by: Locofootballfan ()
Date: August 18, 2018 12:19AM

You are joking right? High schools absolutely recruit!

I mean some aren’t hard. Do you want to play at Rock Ridge and hope for 1 win again or do you want to go to Stone Bridge and make a run for States? When is a Thompson gonna retire anyway? Any more info on all the kids from Rock Ridge to Stone Bridge? I haven’t heard of any other Schools recruiting.

If the new Tuscarora coach follows the way Burnett did things maybe they can make another run. Heard Tusky O line is very big, but the Coach may not be starting/playing all of the for some weird reason!

Is Highland Springs really that good year after year?

Posted by: GHKUH ()
Date: August 18, 2018 10:08AM

Any updates how some of the other scrimmages went like Wildcats v Hylton
Stallions v Vikings
Bruins v MTV

Posted by: FairfaxRes24 ()
Date: August 18, 2018 10:26AM

Why are Chantilly HS football players knocking on my door at 10 am for donations?

Don't they get enough of our TAX DOLLARS every year to support HS Football?

Stinks that they force players to do this.

Posted by: Don’t be a jerk ()
Date: August 18, 2018 11:01AM

FairfaxRes24 Wrote:
> Why are Chantilly HS football players knocking on
> my door at 10 am for donations?
>
> Don't they get enough of our TAX DOLLARS every
> year to support HS Football?
>
> Stinks that they force players to do this.

Did you shake your fist at them and yell at them to get off your lawn & hike your pants up real high?

Date: August 18, 2018 11:03AM

Don’t be a jerk Wrote:
> FairfaxRes24 Wrote:
> -----
> > Why are Chantilly HS football players knocking
> on
> > my door at 10 am for donations?
> >
> > Don't they get enough of our TAX DOLLARS every
> > year to support HS Football?
> >
> > Stinks that they force players to do this.
>
>
> Did you shake your fist at them and yell at them
> to get off your lawn & hike your pants up real
> high?

You didn't answer my question. Doesn't the school get enough of our tax dollars for HS Football?

Posted by: UEJVP ()
Date: August 18, 2018 11:08AM

Been explained here a thousand times. When it comes to recurring expenses, your tax dollars pay for transportation to/from games, coaches' stipends, electricity for the lights and the refs.

All other expenses, which are much more than the above, are payed for via fund raising. Also note that at most schools football gate receipts are shared with all the other money losing sports.

Date: August 18, 2018 11:13AM

UEJVP Wrote:
> Been explained here a thousand times. When it
> comes to recurring expenses, your tax dollars pay
> for transportation to/from games, coaches'
> stipends, electricity for the lights and the
> refs.
>
> All other expenses, which are much more than the
> above, are payed for via fund raising. Also note
> that at most schools football gate receipts are
> shared with all the other money losing sports.

Thank you.

Posted by: yxwdn ()
Date: August 18, 2018 01:04PM

peeppeep Wrote:
> HSfootballfan Wrote:
> -----
> > So what’s everyone thinking about the Loudoun
> Co
> > teams this year?
> >
> > Stone Bridge
> > Broad Run
> > Tuscarora
> > Rock Ridge
> > Riverside
> > Dominion
> >
> > I know there are more...
>
> Top 5 are:
> 1. Broad Run
> 2. Tuscarora
> 3. Stone Bridge
> 4. Champe
> 5. Potomac Falls
>
>
> Big Three this year will once again dominate
> Loudoun.
>
> Surprised previous poster picked Broad Run # 1, as
> they have had very strong teams last 5 years, but
> can't see to get over the hump. They do look to
> have the best talent RETURNING, but, as we all
> know, that doesn't mean that they had the best
> year RECRUITING.
>
> I like their athleticism with D1 QB and D1 RB.
> Lots of speed on defense, but are they big enough
> up front on both sides of the ball? Can Griffis
> win a big game?
>
> Tusky is big, real big. However, they lost Burnett
> and that has to be a loss. Also, their QB has a
> broken arm and a recently-acquired DUI.
> Interesting to see when he is allowed back. He is
> a playmaker, to be sure.
>
> Stone Bridge is not as strong up front as in past
> years, but that just might be the way it is all
> across NOVA this year. Poached Oakton stud and of
> course, pillaged Rock Ridge. If they can't beat
> Doc and Lake Braddock early, might be indicative
> that Thompson wasn't able to recruit enough horses
> this year for deep run.
>
> Best of the Rest -
>
> Woodgrove will be solid. Big TE is headed to JMU,
> but not sure their QB can throw well enough to go
> far in the playoffs. They also get Tusky and Broad
> Run early, so they will know quickly if they can
> compete before headed to 5A next year. Skinner is
> a damn good recruiter too.
>
> Champe lost a ton of offensive talent, and they
> had a helluva time stopping the top offenses last
> year. Interesting match up next week against
> Friendship Collegiate from DC. Looking at a couple
> of steps back, I would think. They do have at
> least 500 more kids than any other Loudoun school,
> so that might help. 6A next year.
>
> Potomac Falls is well coached but they lost a lot
> and look small and not particularly fast. Let's
> see if they can keep Broad Run under 40 next
> week.
>
> Heritage was a surprise last year, but their head
> coach (a good one) just resigned last week to take
> an AD job.Tough task this late into it.
>
> Dominion picked up a couple of Park View kids last
> week, so you would assume that anyone transferring
> to play football is decent. Might help them out.
> They have been a solid 4A team past couple of
> years.
>
> Briar Woods has honestly sucked since McSorley
> left. New coach, but their best underclassman
> transferred. Glory days are well past them.
>
> The other schools are really, really bad. Should
> put them in a conference with Edison, Lee, Falls
> Church, and TJ. That would at least be
> competitive.
>
> As always Loudoun has a lot of talent, especially
> in the East. I enjoyed the 5A Loudoun schools
> playing 6A Fairfax schools a couple of years ago.
>
>
> Bottom line, none of the 5A Loudoun teams can beat
> Huighland Springs, so another year with no state
> champ from NOVA.
>
> 4A teams certainly don't have enough to challenge
> programs like Salem and Blacksburg.
>
> Any questions? :)

What exactly is it that has held Broad Run back during the Griffis era?

Seems like until last year it was defense. In their first 6 playoff losses under Griffis they gave up 24, 47, 37, 35, 35, 28. Last year was a close one 12-14 to Tuscarora.

Stone Bridge I guess. 1-12 all-time. Ouch.

Posted by: TUPCK ()
Date: August 18, 2018 01:34PM

yxwdn Wrote:
> peeppeep Wrote:
> -----
> > HSfootballfan Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > So what’s everyone thinking about the
> Loudoun
> > Co
> > > teams this year?
> > >
> > > Stone Bridge
> > > Broad Run
> > > Tuscarora
> > > Rock Ridge
> > > Riverside
> > > Dominion
> > >
> > > I know there are more...
> >
> > Top 5 are:
> > 1. Broad Run
> > 2. Tuscarora
> > 3. Stone Bridge
> > 4. Champe
> > 5. Potomac Falls
> >
> >
> > Big Three this year will once again dominate
> > Loudoun.
> >
> > Surprised previous poster picked Broad Run # 1,
> as
> > they have had very strong teams last 5 years,
> but
> > can't see to get over the hump. They do look to
> > have the best talent RETURNING, but, as we all
> > know, that doesn't mean that they had the best
> > year RECRUITING.
> >
> > I like their athleticism with D1 QB and D1 RB.
> > Lots of speed on defense, but are they big
> enough
> > up front on both sides of the ball? Can Griffis
> > win a big game?
> >
> > Tusky is big, real big. However, they lost
> Burnett
> > and that has to be a loss. Also, their QB has a
> > broken arm and a recently-acquired DUI.
> > Interesting to see when he is allowed back. He
> is
> > a playmaker, to be sure.
> >
> > Stone Bridge is not as strong up front as in
> past
> > years, but that just might be the way it is all
> > across NOVA this year. Poached Oakton stud and
> of
> > course, pillaged Rock Ridge. If they can't beat
> > Doc and Lake Braddock early, might be
> indicative
> > that Thompson wasn't able to recruit enough
> horses
> > this year for deep run.
> >
> > Best of the Rest -
> >
> > Woodgrove will be solid. Big TE is headed to
> JMU,
> > but not sure their QB can throw well enough to
> go
> > far in the playoffs. They also get Tusky and
> Broad
> > Run early, so they will know quickly if they
> can
> > compete before headed to 5A next year. Skinner
> is
> > a damn good recruiter too.
> >
> > Champe lost a ton of offensive talent, and they
> > had a helluva time stopping the top offenses
> last
> > year. Interesting match up next week against
> > Friendship Collegiate from DC. Looking at a
> couple
> > of steps back, I would think. They do have at
> > least 500 more kids than any other Loudoun
> school,
> > so that might help. 6A next year.
> >
> > Potomac Falls is well coached but they lost a
> lot
> > and look small and not particularly fast. Let's
> > see if they can keep Broad Run under 40 next
> > week.
> >
> > Heritage was a surprise last year, but their
> head
> > coach (a good one) just resigned last week to
> take
> > an AD job.Tough task this late into it.
> >
> > Dominion picked up a couple of Park View kids
> last
> > week, so you would assume that anyone
> transferring
> > to play football is decent. Might help them
> out.
> > They have been a solid 4A team past couple of
> > years.
> >
> > Briar Woods has honestly sucked since McSorley
> > left. New coach, but their best underclassman
> > transferred. Glory days are well past them.
> >
> > The other schools are really, really bad.
> Should
> > put them in a conference with Edison, Lee,
> Falls
> > Church, and TJ. That would at least be
> > competitive.
> >
> > As always Loudoun has a lot of talent,
> especially
> > in the East. I enjoyed the 5A Loudoun schools
> > playing 6A Fairfax schools a couple of years
> ago.
> >
> >
> > Bottom line, none of the 5A Loudoun teams can
> beat
> > Huighland Springs, so another year with no
> state
> > champ from NOVA.
> >
> > 4A teams certainly don't have enough to
> challenge
> > programs like Salem and Blacksburg.
> >
> > Any questions? :)
>
> What exactly is it that has held Broad Run back
> during the Griffis era?
>
> Seems like until last year it was defense. In
> their first 6 playoff losses under Griffis they
> gave up 24, 47, 37, 35, 35, 28. Last year was a
> close one 12-14 to Tuscarora.
>
> Stone Bridge I guess. 1-12 all-time. Ouch.

Scheme and QB play has been inadequate. Come playoff time QB’s need to make plays and not have turnovers. Playmaker gene either you have it or you don’t

Date: August 18, 2018 07:15PM

Westfield vs Qince Orchard vs DeMatha no touchdowns very poor OL play. It could be a tough year for the Bulldogs.

Posted by: cdv9u ()
Date: August 18, 2018 07:38PM

After the departure of Chase Soper, Junior Billy Edwards and Quentin James will now be a part of a two QB system.

What's that about?

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/articles/sports/high-school-football-preview-lake-braddock/article_f8f749d2-a19e-11e8-98d5-431d16f1817d.html

Posted by: kmnos ()
Date: August 18, 2018 10:10PM

LB is a better team this year and Westfield is not as good as they were last year.
The coaching at LB has had a full year of off season to work with the team and it has shown in the scrimmages against Mt Vernon and Forrest Park.

LB take this one easily and will become the new team to beat in the region.

There is a new sheriff in town and he is the reining Patriot Conference "Coach of the year" and his name is Doc!!!

There energy & tempo, toughness, discipline and significance can not be match

Date: August 18, 2018 10:13PM

Madison and Woodbridge should come out on Top in 2018.

Posted by: CJ439 ()
Date: August 18, 2018 11:52PM

Anyone that thinks Warhawks will face Vikings are fucking high! It don’t matter they got 2 transfers in. They are not and will not face Woodbridge in semi’s. You don’t get blown the fuck out in 2nd rd by avg Seahawks team previous to alll of a sudden become miraculously better the following year. Bunch of dumb fucks!

Date: August 19, 2018 12:15AM

Madison played Westfield tough last year. One bad game does not a poor season make. If not Madison, then whom do you suggest?

Posted by: Al Bundy ()
Date: August 19, 2018 12:31AM

I scored 2 touchdowns in one game when I was in high school.

Date: August 19, 2018 12:42AM

Good for you sport...

Posted by: WCCVF ()
Date: August 19, 2018 07:32AM

coaches Wrote:
> Madison played Westfield tough last year. One bad
> game does not a poor season make. If not Madison,
> then whom do you suggest?

Who cares if they played WHS tough, they got blown the F out by SL 35-0!!!!!!!
MHS obviously can’t handle speed teams & if they run into TC or Hayfield or Patriot or Battlefield team that has size & speed you can expect pretty much th same result.

Tired of the Warhawks hype, especially when they haven’t won anything and only last 2 seasons became barely relevant.

Posted by: CMNJJ ()
Date: August 19, 2018 09:59AM

Oh, such anger...did you lose some money last year? Someone kill your dog?

Posted by: kcxem ()
Date: August 19, 2018 10:23AM

Whoa. What's with the anger toward Madison? I think if Madison had a second crack at South Lakes they could have beat them (they turned the Centreville result around after 1 week). They just seem to have had a big letdown after the two big Centreville games. But that was a shocking result against South Lakes.

Two of the toughest games Westfield has had the last two seasons has been the two against Madison. They are not far away from making run in the playoffs.

Posted by: regionwatcher ()
Date: August 19, 2018 12:05PM

Just my thoughts on this weeks games

Annandale v Justice - Annandale gets the early season win

Edison v Mt Vernon – this will be a blow out, Mt Vernon has way to many athletes for Edison

Briar Woods v West Potomac – Briar Woods isn’t the same team they were a few years ago, WP wins

Fairfax v McLean – New coaching staff at Fairfax, easy win for Fairfax

Hayfield v Chantilly – Hayfield and Henderson will still dominate a better this year Chantilly team

Langley v South county – South County score 50 and sales thru the night

Marshall v Madison – Madison with the easy win, Marshall is not very good

Oakton v Battlefield – Battlefield is way to big for Oakton to handle

Osborn Park v TC – TC always has athletes, will win if they all show up

Robinson v Hylton – Hylton doesn’t have the horses they had last year, but enough to beat a Robinson team who may have a tough year

Stonewall Jackson v Centreville – Is Centreville a pretender or a contender, this game should tell a lot

WT Woodson v South Lakes – SL doesn’t have the horses this year, lost their coach just a few weeks ago and Woodson is not a bad team, Woodson wins

West Springfield v Lee – West Springfield wins

Westfield v Lake Braddock – Westfield wins, LB has a lot of talent and they will make it a close game. Coaching makes this game

Posted by: Oh no ()
Date: August 19, 2018 12:26PM

People are high if they think LB and Robinson have State Title in their future. Their talent, size, and schedule are three reasons why. The schedule will be too tough and injuries will mount up and they have no depth. Talent is average to below average for both teams. Neither team has the size on their lines too Run the ball or pass protect. LB better get rid of the ball quick! Robinson will stay with the run.

I am at a loss how these parents and fans keep stating these two teams are state contenders the past few years.

Posted by: Ete4d ()
Date: August 19, 2018 02:33PM

What 2 transfers?

Posted by: Sunshine and Rainbows ()
Date: August 19, 2018 02:57PM

So what game were you at that gives you that impression?

Oh no Wrote:
> People are high if they think LB and Robinson have
> State Title in their future. Their talent, size,
> and schedule are three reasons why. The schedule
> will be too tough and injuries will mount up and
> they have no depth. Talent is average to below
> average for both teams. Neither team has the size
> on their lines too Run the ball or pass protect.
> LB better get rid of the ball quick! Robinson
> will stay with the run.
>
> I am at a loss how these parents and fans keep
> stating these two teams are state contenders the
> past few years.

Posted by: VJJVP ()
Date: August 19, 2018 04:15PM

What happened to the much hyped QB soph-sensation that was supposed to be the starter for the Bruins this season?

Posted by: Laughing at Doc! ()
Date: August 19, 2018 04:38PM

Doc's assistant has to stop posting how great he is.

He is Doc. Ok, but just Doc. Where are those studs coming from? The last three 130/150 BRYC teams????? LOL!

LB looked good against MV????? Wow here we come to the state final!!!!!

I mean really?

Posted by: Fan of the game ()
Date: August 19, 2018 05:46PM

Why does Westfield take on Lake Braddock before school even starts! That seems like backwards planning. Still, I’ve seen them both and I say it will be a good game.

Date: August 20, 2018 12:49PM

MaxPreps2018 Preseason Virginia Rankings
Rank School Rec.
1 Highland Springs 0-0
2 Oscar Smith (Chesapeake) 0-0
3 Salem 0-0
4 Westfield (Chantilly) 0-0
5 Manchester (Midlothian) 0-0
6 Colonial Forge (Stafford) 0-0
7. Blacksburg 0-0
8 BSCHS (Virginia Beach) 0-0
9 Flint Hill (Oakton) 0-0
10 Freedom (Woodbridge) 0-0
11 Stone Bridge (Ashburn) 0-0

After watching the Manchester vs Ocean Lakes Scrimmage on Thursday, I'd have to consider that Manchester looks more like the typical Westfield type team and I'd actually move them above Westfield based on talent. The question becomes about coaching quality & experience AND if their player's intensity level can increase to compete at the next level? The top 4 teams know what Championship level intensity is but do the Lancers?

Posted by: thoughts ()
Date: August 20, 2018 12:54PM

Does anyone know if JEB Stuart still wears Stuart uniforms and plays on the Stuart turf or did they change everything with our tax money.

Posted by: Frequent Watcher WF Football ()
Date: August 20, 2018 01:16PM

coaches Wrote:
> Westfield vs Qince Orchard vs DeMatha no
> touchdowns very poor OL play. It could be a tough
> year for the Bulldogs.

Did you watch the scrimmage at all? I'll give you the O-line didn't dominate but wasn't awful. Just as EVERY pre-season when WF plays Dematha and QO they struggle since these are pretty good teams. I would venture to say both QO and Dematha are far superior to any team currently on WF's schedule. I think the most notable thing for the Bulldogs is that their defense played very well against both QO and Dematha. The final score of both games was 7-0 if I'm not mistaken, so please, don't start writing Westfield off yet.

I've seen the demise of the Bulldogs discussed the past couple weeks based off of pre-season. If you know Simmons and staff they could care less about what the final score is in scrimmages, they use them to begin putting the pieces together. Asante, WF's starting running back barely played offense, spent most of both games playing LB. So I wouldn't put much into what happens in pre-seasons especially when the opponents are St Johns, Dematha, Quince Orchard. Once again, 3 teams that any public school in Virginia, other than Oscar Smith, couldn't come close to matching in talent.

Posted by: parentof2 ()
Date: August 20, 2018 01:52PM

Going to give some predictions based on what I have seen having 2 sons play high school football over the past 6 years. Remember, this is my first time doing this so hopefully I can nail some of these spreads. Feedback is also welcome...

1. Annandale (-10) @ Stuart
- Annandale rarely loses to JEB. Don't think JEB has enough to pull it out. Although I don't see a blowout, Annandale wins easily.

2. Stonewall Jackson @ Centreville (-14)
- Don't know much about Stonewall, but this should give us an early idea of what to expect from Centreville.

3. Hayfield (-35) @ Chantilly
- Hayfield has a junior transfer QB who came from Braddock & Chantilly is horrible. Hayfield will score 50+

4. Edison @ Mount Vernon (-30)

5. Fairfax (-10) @ McLean

6. Roosevelt (DC) @ Falls Church (-28)
- Who allows FC to schedule multiple DC teams every year? It gives them 6 home games a year, as well as easy wins.

7. Westfield (-7) @ Lake Braddock
- Game of the week. GREAT early season match-up and it'll give us an idea as to Westfield & LB's talent.

8. Langley @ South County (-30)
- The spread could've been higher...

9. Lee @ West Springfield (-10)
- Snooze fest.

10. Marshall @ Madison (-28)

11. Oakton @ Battlefield (-28)

12. Robinson @ Hylton (-21)
- Don't know much about these PWC & Loudoun schools, but damn Robinson isn't what they used to be.

13. Woodson @ South Lakes (-13)
- Low spread, given I don't know how much talent SL has with the graduation of the 2 studs. But, if you think they are going to lose to WTW, you need to be drug tested.

14. Osbourn Park @ T.C. Williams (-25)
- They're probably going to have to start this one RIGHT after school. (Shame TCW doesn't have lights - feel for the kids, but the Saturday afternoon games are unique. Also, OP is terrible. TCW will cover.

15. Northern Virginia Homeschool Association @ Thomas Jefferson (-6)
- Wow. I don't know where to begin with this. Should TJ continue fielding a team? At least they are scheduling schools (Is NVHSAA a 'school'?) that they can kinda compete with. Hopefully they win a few games this year.

16. Briar Woods @ West Potomac (-17)

Date: August 20, 2018 02:22PM

Frequent Watcher WF Football Wrote:
> coaches Wrote:
> -----
> > Westfield vs Qince Orchard vs DeMatha no
> > touchdowns very poor OL play. It could be a
> tough
> > year for the Bulldogs.
>
>
> Did you watch the scrimmage at all? I'll give you
> the O-line didn't dominate but wasn't awful. Just
> as EVERY pre-season when WF plays Dematha and QO
> they struggle since these are pretty good teams. I
> would venture to say both QO and Dematha are far
> superior to any team currently on WF's schedule. I
> think the most notable thing for the Bulldogs is
> that their defense played very well against both
> QO and Dematha. The final score of both games was
> 7-0 if I'm not mistaken, so please, don't start
> writing Westfield off yet.
>
> I've seen the demise of the Bulldogs discussed the
> past couple weeks based off of pre-season. If you
> know Simmons and staff they could care less about
> what the final score is in scrimmages, they use
> them to begin putting the pieces together. Asante,
> WF's starting running back barely played offense,
> spent most of both games playing LB. So I wouldn't
> put much into what happens in pre-seasons
> especially when the opponents are St Johns,
> Dematha, Quince Orchard. Once again, 3 teams that
> any public school in Virginia, other than Oscar
> Smith, couldn't come close to matching in talent.

I expect Westfield to implement an attempt at using a West Coast, ball control Offense this year. Every pass will be on a Three step/count to keep N. Kim from getting hurt. The Bulldogs will concentrate on their Defense with Asante trying to hold things at MLB. But, they will be vulnerable to whomever can have an effective power running game!

I'm just not sure which team can accomplish what it takes to beat the Bulldogs. I'm guessing Madison & Centreville would be the most likely to beat them. In the playoffs, there are a couple of teams but I don't think they'd meet up until the regional games.

Posted by: randomthought ()
Date: August 20, 2018 02:52PM

parentof2 Wrote:
> Going to give some predictions based on what I
> have seen having 2 sons play high school football
> over the past 6 years. Remember, this is my first
> time doing this so hopefully I can nail some of
> these spreads. Feedback is also welcome...
>
> 1. Annandale (-10) @ Stuart
> - Annandale rarely loses to JEB. Don't think JEB
> has enough to pull it out. Although I don't see a
> blowout, Annandale wins easily.

Annandale will win by more than 10.

> 2. Stonewall Jackson @ Centreville (-14)
> - Don't know much about Stonewall, but this should
> give us an early idea of what to expect from
> Centreville.

Stonewall should be improved from last season (3-7). They will be a handful for Centreville. -7 is more like it.

> 7. Westfield (-7) @ Lake Braddock
> - Game of the week. GREAT early season match-up
> and it'll give us an idea as to Westfield & LB's
> talent.

LB has more talent but Westfield has better coaching. Should be a close game.

> 11. Oakton @ Battlefield (-28)

I have a feeling Oakton will cover.

> 14. Osbourn Park @ T.C. Williams (-25)
> - They're probably going to have to start this one
> RIGHT after school. (Shame TCW doesn't have lights
> - feel for the kids, but the Saturday afternoon
> games are unique. Also, OP is terrible. TCW will
> cover.

TCW is going to be a solid team this year.

> 16. Briar Woods @ West Potomac (-17)

If BW can't cover that they are going to have a bad year.

Posted by: JLVNP ()
Date: August 20, 2018 03:49PM

Hayfield transfer is a rising senior drom Oakton.

WTW beat SOCO last year, WTW also has strong senior leadership in key positions. Cavs by 21. SL has 0 returning, which is why Taylor abandoned ship.

Taking SJHS in an upset +13 at home. Wildcats lines are not good.

FHS should’ve scheduled McLean for their homecoming game. Going to be a long season for Rebels as they will fail to match last seasons win total.

TCW will be dangerous come playoff time.

Battlefield will be solid team but Patriot will win their district and don’t be surprised if Bulldogs are playing there come Thanksgiving. Pats easily handled Madison in their scrimmage.

Posted by: hahfiedfb ()
Date: August 20, 2018 04:03PM

chase soper transferred from lake braddock and is taking 1st team qb snaps at hayfield

Posted by: Wdijcje ()
Date: August 21, 2018 02:41PM

hahfiedfb Wrote:
> chase soper transferred from lake braddock and is
> taking 1st team qb snaps at hayfield

That’s not the kid that’s been the starter for their 7v7 team all summer. No change unless he is injured.

Posted by: UY3NK ()
Date: August 21, 2018 03:54PM

How is LB ranked in the WaPo top 20 list and Freedom-Woodbridge isn’t? Proves that ranking is baseless stupid & irrelevant.

Posted by: football observer ()
Date: August 21, 2018 10:14PM

> 2. Stonewall Jackson @ Centreville (-14)
> - Don't know much about Stonewall, but this should
> give us an early idea of what to expect from
> Centreville.

Stonewall scored 82 points last year and got shut out five times, anything other than an easy win would be a disaster for Centreville.

> 4. Edison @ Mount Vernon (-30)

Interested to see if MV can build on their last couple seasons now that some key players have graduated. Historically they have a few decent years, graduate a strong class, and then go 0-10. Edison though.

> 6. Roosevelt (DC) @ Falls Church (-28)
> - Who allows FC to schedule multiple DC teams
> every year? It gives them 6 home games a year, as
> well as easy wins.

Falls Church lost to Eastern a couple years ago and almost lost to Bell last year, they aren't good enough to assume that anything will be easy.

> 7. Westfield (-7) @ Lake Braddock
> - Game of the week. GREAT early season match-up
> and it'll give us an idea as to Westfield & LB's
> talent.

Game of the week indeed, but Westfield usually improves a lot more than Lake Braddock thoughout the season.

> 10. Marshall @ Madison (-28)

Marshall's new coach any good or are they gonna lose 25 in a row again?

> 11. Oakton @ Battlefield (-28)
>
> 12. Robinson @ Hylton (-21)
> - Don't know much about these PWC & Loudoun
> schools, but damn Robinson isn't what they used to
> be.

Neither is Oakton!

> 14. Osbourn Park @ T.C. Williams (-25)

OP was terrible even before they lost kids to Colgan, the gap between the haves and have nots in the PWC is immense.

> 15. Northern Virginia Homeschool Association @
> Thomas Jefferson (-6)

TJ guaranteed not to go winless since they can take a forfeit over Manassas Park. Congrats to the Colonials!

Posted by: MKVUU ()
Date: August 22, 2018 07:19AM

UY3NK Wrote:
> How is LB ranked in the WaPo top 20 list and
> Freedom-Woodbridge isn’t? Proves that ranking is
> baseless stupid & irrelevant.

Although I agree that LB might not be worthy (until they prove it) of being in the Post Top 10, last year's Freedom team relied heavily on Felton. Without him there is zero chance they go 10-0 last year, and he is now gone. Surratt and Brown will win some games for them but losing Felton is huge. If the young guys step up maybe they get ranked later in the season. I saw them play last year and they were very good, but not the dynamo most thought they were by simply crushing very bad teams.

Posted by: WVPUP ()
Date: August 22, 2018 09:16AM

The size of FW OL will more than make up for the loss of AJ-50. I don’t see them losing maybe 1-2 games at the most. Sometimes not having to rely on a superstar helps a team be more balanced and focused cuz everyone knows they all have to perform at their best every single snap. Either way FW -Woodbridge- Hylton games will be some of the best hs football you will see all season.
PWCO top 4 teams are hands down the best teams in NOVa regardless of classification. If LOCO teams were smart, they should schedule games against them (probably too scared), it would help them prepare for what they see from VA Beach and Richmond teams and maybe they would stop getting blown out at the state championship games.

1. Woodbridge
2. FW
3. Hylton
4. Patriot.

FXCO
1. Westfield
2. Centreville
3. Madison
4. Lake Braddock

LOCO
1. Stonebridge
2. Tusky
3. Broad Run
4. Champe

Posted by: BullDoddgger Guy ()
Date: August 22, 2018 10:19AM

WF is playing Asante on D in the preseason for the college scouts who see him like his Brother. I would see him back at RB when it matters. Shit, he may go both ways. He is an f-ing stud.

Posted by: hmfdv ()
Date: August 22, 2018 10:58AM

WVPUP Wrote:
> The size of FW OL will more than make up for the
> loss of AJ-50. I don’t see them losing maybe 1-2
> games at the most.

I would hope not. They only played 4 games last year against teams with a winning record. And gave up 87 points in the two they played against Hylton. Sorry, that's not an elite team.

Posted by: yygnp ()
Date: August 22, 2018 11:18AM

Correction

PWCO
1. Woodbridge
2. FW
3. Patriot
4. Battlefield

FXCO
1. Westfield
2. Madison
3. Centreville
4. Lake Braddock

LOCO
1. Broad Run
2. Tusky
3. Stone Bridge
4. Champe

Don't agree that PWCO has the top 4 teams in NOVA "hands down." No PWCO team has been to a title game in last 7 years. FXCO been there 6 times and won 4 championships. LOCO been there 7 times and won 2.

Win something then brag about. Lots and lots and lots of talking last year and didn't get it done.

Posted by: XWT3N ()
Date: August 22, 2018 11:25AM

yygnp Wrote:
> Correction
>
> PWCO
> 1. Woodbridge
> 2. FW
> 3. Patriot
> 4. Battlefield
>
> FXCO
> 1. Westfield
> 2. Madison
> 3. Centreville
> 4. Lake Braddock
>
> LOCO
> 1. Broad Run
> 2. Tusky
> 3. Stone Bridge
> 4. Champe
>
> Don't agree that PWCO has the top 4 teams in NOVA
> "hands down." No PWCO team has been to a title
> game in last 7 years. FXCO been there 6 times and
> won 4 championships. LOCO been there 7 times and
> won 2.
>
> Win something then brag about. Lots and lots and
> lots of talking last year and didn't get it done.

Other than WHS there was not one FXCO school that beat a top PWCO team last season and not one can match up physically to them this season. If you any see the changing donthe guard you are a fool. Best hey hip to us cuz we are coming, ready or not this is OUR YEAR!

Posted by: sawitwmyeyes ()
Date: August 22, 2018 12:57PM

I saw Woodbridge scrimmage WT Woodson and it was a pretty even match up. Both teams scored one or twice with the 1s.

Now, either Woodson is a much better team this year or Woodbridge isn't that good.
I guess we will find out soon enough.

Marshall was there too, but both teams crushed Marshall

Posted by: Cavs fan ()
Date: August 22, 2018 01:26PM

sawitwmyeyes Wrote:
> I saw Woodbridge scrimmage WT Woodson and it was a
> pretty even match up. Both teams scored one or
> twice with the 1s.
>
> Now, either Woodson is a much better team this
> year or Woodbridge isn't that good.
> I guess we will find out soon enough.
>
> Marshall was there too, but both teams crushed
> Marshall

I told you guys, WTW has key senior leadership in the right positions and they have the best QB in their district, RB Yost is a stud (underrated) and WR with D1 potential.

LB QB situation is unproven.
ROBO May have strong arm but scheme and inaccuracy limits him
WSHS - 2nd best QB in their district
SOCO - lacks consistency.
FHS - starting unproven/unheralded Soph, they may go 0-10 again.

WTW could push WHS come playoff time.

Posted by: tcdkk ()
Date: August 22, 2018 02:00PM

Who is the Woodson QB?

Not saying you aren't right but that would be huge year-over-year jump to go from losing to Fairfax to challenging Westfield.

Posted by: sawitwmyeyes ()
Date: August 22, 2018 02:23PM

I am not sure Woodson will be challenging Westfield, but I do think they are much improved over the past few years.

From what I saw, they have a few key players on offense and very good defense. The coaching seems to be better then what they have had in the past. The scheme fits the players, not the other way around.

The QB Jay Fisher? was good, I am not sure he is the best in district, but he seems to fit for what they do. I think they have a solid team that will compete for the district title and a run in the playoffs.

Posted by: Then who? ()
Date: August 22, 2018 04:38PM

sawitwmyeyes Wrote:
> I am not sure Woodson will be challenging
> Westfield, but I do think they are much improved
> over the past few years.
>
> From what I saw, they have a few key players on
> offense and very good defense. The coaching seems
> to be better then what they have had in the past.
> The scheme fits the players, not the other way
> around.
>
>
> The QB Jay Fisher? was good, I am not sure he is
> the best in district, but he seems to fit for what
> they do. I think they have a solid team that will
> compete for the district title and a run in the
> playoffs.

Not saying region but in his district. Name one who’s better

Posted by: hmw9d ()
Date: August 22, 2018 06:15PM

coaches Wrote:
> I expect Westfield to implement an attempt at
> using a West Coast, ball control Offense this
> year. Every pass will be on a Three step/count to
> keep N. Kim from getting hurt. The Bulldogs will
> concentrate on their Defense with Asante trying to
> hold things at MLB. But, they will be vulnerable
> to whomever can have an effective power running
> game!

Are you just spreading disinformation? Westfield. West Coast offense? You realize who the offensive coordinator is. Expect the exact same stodgy and unimaginative play-calling as always.

Date: August 22, 2018 06:27PM

Yep

Posted by: firstgame ()
Date: August 23, 2018 09:56PM

Falls Church down to Roosevelt 43-13 early 4th...

Posted by: Frequent Watcher WF Football ()
Date: August 24, 2018 09:16AM

BullDoddgger Guy Wrote:
> WF is playing Asante on D in the preseason for the
> college scouts who see him like his Brother. I
> would see him back at RB when it matters. Shit,
> he may go both ways. He is an f-ing stud.

Asante at RB/LB, Morin at WR/DB, & Clancy at TE/DE & DT will most probably be going both ways for the season. Watched the scrimmage last week and that seemed to be apparent. Asante at LB is a good fit, they've got plenty of kids that can play RB, very few at LB that are capable of helping like Asante will.

Posted by: K2 ()
Date: August 24, 2018 10:33AM

I'm back! Full disclosure, this week will probably be rough, I have not kept up with the offseason at all - but expect a pretty good product by week 3.

Annandale (-20.0) @ Justice

Briar Woods (-6.0) @ West Potomac
*I saw in the other thread that West Po is the favorite... I know they've had a good run, I just can't see their success remaining sustainable.

Edison @ Mount Vernon (-21.0)

Fairfax (-7.0) @ McLean
*I think the variable is how much Coach Taylor has got installed in his short time in Fairfax. BIG game for both teams, with not too many shots at wins.

Hayfield (-27.0) @ Chantilly
*I suspect Chantilly will be improved this year, that ain't a reach when you are 0-10 though. I heard the Oakton coach was the DC here now? Not sure that's accurate, but anytime you get a HC with a long stint to be a coordinator, that's usually good.

Langley @ South County (-42.0)

Marshall @ Madison (-25.0)
*Madison should be real good this year, but Marshall did go 9-1 with their only regular season loss to Madison last year and return their star QB.

Oakton @ Battlefield (-14.0)

Potomac Falls @ Broad Run (-10.0)
*Still getting used to this Loudoun thing...

Osbourn Park @ TC Williams (-17.0)

Robinson @ Hylton (-7.0)

Stonewall Jackson @ Centreville (-21.0)

WT Woodson (-6.0) @ South Lakes
*Give me Woodson and the upset here on the road.

West Springfield (-24.0) @ Lee

Westfield (-10.0) @ Lake Braddock
*I am going to try and make it out to this one. Should be the best game on the docket. I believe Westfield hosts South County next week too, kudos for getting prepped fast for the Bulldogs

Posted by: bigboys ()
Date: August 24, 2018 11:13AM

Been checking out NOVA teams and as has been mentioned here a number of times the Fairfax teams are pretty small compared to Prince William and Loudoun. If you look at the offensive and defensive lines of say Westfield-Madison-Centreville they are much smaller than Woodbridge-Freedom-Patriot or Stone Bridge-Tuskarora-Broad Run. Not even close. Didn't used to be that way. Is this just a one year glitch or is there and actual reason for this.

Posted by: RydellllRoad ()
Date: August 24, 2018 11:34AM

K2 Wrote:

Steve2K! Been lurking and waiting to see if the spreads would show. Thanks!

Posted by: JWME4 ()
Date: August 24, 2018 12:46PM

K2 Wrote:
> I'm back! Full disclosure, this week will probably
> be rough, I have not kept up with the offseason at
> all - but expect a pretty good product by week 3.
>
> Annandale (-20.0) @ Justice
>
> Briar Woods (-6.0) @ West Potomac
> *I saw in the other thread that West Po is the
> favorite... I know they've had a good run, I just
> can't see their success remaining sustainable.
Still has a few more athletes than Atoms. WP +12

>
> Edison @ Mount Vernon (-21.0)
This will be over by halftime. MV

>
> Fairfax (-7.0) @ McLean
> *I think the variable is how much Coach Taylor has
> got installed in his short time in Fairfax. BIG
> game for both teams, with not too many shots at
> wins.
FHS sarting new Soph. QB. Will be close,turnovers will be huge. MHS +3

>
> Hayfield (-27.0) @ Chantilly
> *I suspect Chantilly will be improved this year,
> that ain't a reach when you are 0-10 though. I
> heard the Oakton coach was the DC here now? Not
> sure that's accurate, but anytime you get a HC
> with a long stint to be a coordinator, that's
> usually good.
Over by halftime, margin will depend on how soon Henderson calls off the dogs.
>
> Langley @ South County (-42.0)
Over by end of 1st qtr, margin will depend upon how early P calls off the dogs

> Marshall @ Madison (-25.0)
> *Madison should be real good this year, but
> Marshall did go 9-1 with their only regular season
> loss to Madison last year and return their star
> QB.
Statesmen are bad. Over by halftime. Wonder how J Counys feels about pounding his alma mater?

> Oakton @ Battlefield (-14.0)
PWCO school flexing over FCPS, spread will be much larger 24 at least.
>
> Potomac Falls @ Broad Run (-10.0)
> *Still getting used to this Loudoun thing...
BR by 21.

> Osbourn Park @ TC Williams (-17.0)
OP stinks. TC easy nights work
>
> Robinson @ Hylton (-7.0)
PWCO flexing over another FCPS. Hylton by 21 at the half.
>
> Stonewall Jackson @ Centreville (-21.0)
Last year’s game, score was even at the half, SJ has dynamic slot and play maker at DB, a lot like Taylor Morin kid, with more wiggle. CVHS by 7
>
> WT Woodson (-6.0) @ South Lakes
> *Give me Woodson and the upset here on the road.
WTW will surprise a lot of teams this year with how good they are. SL will surprise everyone with how much they have fallen off.
>
> West Springfield (-24.0) @ Lee
WSHS avoid the slump after starting so fast last year?
>
> Westfield (-10.0) @ Lake Braddock
> *I am going to try and make it out to this one.
> Should be the best game on the docket. I believe
> Westfield hosts South County next week too, kudos
> for getting prepped fast for the Bulldogs
Game of the week. Can Bulldogs be hungry or have they gotten complacent? Can LBSS shake off the embarrassing loss at Woodbridge? Toss up.

Posted by: jkal ()
Date: August 24, 2018 07:35PM

14-0 Hayfield 1st Q. Transfer QB soper (LB) looking good.

Posted by: Rebelman ()
Date: August 24, 2018 08:04PM

Fairfax 7, McLean 0. Halftime

Posted by: Uh...Huh ()
Date: August 24, 2018 08:40PM

After letting Marshall get an early 7-3 lead... Madison is rolling 39-7 just 2 minutes into the 3rd Quarter.

Pages: PreviousFirst...23456789101112All...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 25

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.