HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Received a warrant in debt
Posted by: Bobby light ()
Date: December 09, 2017 01:58PM

Received a warrant in debt from a past creditor I owed money to. Has anyone been to court for a similar situation? If so do they make you pay on the spot or what would my options be

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Received a warrant in debt
Posted by: they have ()
Date: December 09, 2017 02:03PM

Bobby light Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Received a warrant in debt from a past creditor I
> owed money to. Has anyone been to court for a
> similar situation?

ask eesh or lizzie

Posted by: Pritchard ()
Date: December 09, 2017 02:07PM

Prepare your asshole. Lots of stretching and cleansing.
Attachments:
Bills Bills Bills equals debtors prison.jpg

Posted by: Legal advisor ()
Date: December 09, 2017 02:10PM

Bobby light Wrote:
> similar situation? If so do they make you pay on
> the spot or what would my options be

If the creditor wins in court, they will garnish your pay or bank accounts. You need to get a bankruptcy attorney to help you.

Posted by: Old.Ironsides ()
Date: December 09, 2017 02:14PM

It depends...

It depends on the judge and it depends on your attorney.

Best case scenario (for you), is that the judge will establish a payment schedule based on your assets and income. Obviously, whatever liquid cash you have on hand will be immediately sent to your creditor towards this debt.

And if you are gainfully employed, your wages will be garnished by court order until such time your debt is paid.

Again...that is best case scenario and if that is what you come away with...you should be grateful. In extreme cases, debtors can be jailed. But, typically judges avoid doing that until it's the last full measure because someone in jail is typically unable to work off a debt.

Posted by: mcetk ()
Date: December 09, 2017 05:47PM

Bobby light Wrote:

How much do you owe? It has a bearing on the answer to your question.

Date: December 09, 2017 10:33PM

$1,400 is what I owe on an old bill.

Posted by: HHYNW ()
Date: December 09, 2017 10:57PM

Now that they have banking across state lines, if your bank has a branch anywhere in VA, they can get their money. If you put your money in a bank that doesn't do business in Virginia, they can't touch it unless they want to go in a MD or DC court & try to get it enforced. DC courts don't like to do it. MD, it depends on too much.

I got a few of those a long time ago before alot of banks went across state lines. I had my money in banks that weren't in VA. They got a judgement, but couldn't get their money from me. The statute finally ran.

They do this alot if you abandon a car or it gets towed off a parking lot, or something and you don't go get it because the car's a piece of shit & it's not worth paying for. The tow place will sell it for scrap then file a Warrant in Debt on you for thousands of dollars in storage charges. They got a couple of buddies of mine like that. One guy went out of the country for a year and let his friend drive the car while he was gone. It was a nice car. His mistake. The friend got it towed and couldn't pay to get it out of hock. The tow place owner sold it to his brother in law for $500 and sued the owner for thousands and got it.

Posted by: Baked Niglets ()
Date: December 10, 2017 09:40AM

How old is the bill? When did you make the last payment?

Posted by: Johnnie Chochran ()
Date: December 10, 2017 02:49PM

This is a lousy place to get legal advice.

The date on the warrant is a date for you to contest or admit to the debt. If you don't show, it's an admission. Contact the creditor's attorney before that date and they'll likely work out a much better payment plan with you than if you drag this out.

Posted by: jjepl ()
Date: December 10, 2017 03:38PM

Loser

Posted by: mcjjp ()
Date: December 10, 2017 03:49PM

For many businesses a warrant in debt is simply a reminder that they really do expect the customers to pay. For others it is an announcement that getting paid matters less to them than fucking with the customers' lives. Legal collection efforts take so much time and cost so much for many small businesses that they don't make financial sense. It does give the business owner an opportunity to inflict some pain on a nonpaying customer to offset some of the aggravation the customer has inflicted on the business.

Posted by: Not Your Lawyer ()
Date: December 10, 2017 11:24PM

OP, a warrant in debt is a notice that you have been sued. There is a 5 year statute of limitations on breach of contract in VA (most debts stem from a written agreement of some sort). If your debt is older than that, consider hiring a lawyer. Otherwise, you're probably best off paying the debt as virtually any lawyer is going to cost you well over $1,400 and is not likely to completely make the debt go away. In most scenarios, a lawyer will at most reduce the amount through settlement.

Whatever you do, don't ignore this. It'll only make things worse as the creditor will likely seek additional interest and expenses.

Posted by: mxj4u ()
Date: December 11, 2017 12:21AM

Legal advisor Wrote:
> Bobby light Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> If the creditor wins in court, they will ...

the Judge is not "limited to prescribed remedies", the Judge is (or should be) capable of acute prescription

the prescription will be what fits the situation

DEBTOR'S JAIL (ie not including theft) was canceled in most states long ago and was canceled in the last hold out just recently (georgia or alabama i think)

so your not going to jail - not according to written law

however note that Fx. Co. Gov. does whatever the fuck they please and never follows any law but that gets them cash

the world is in a debt war, politicians are all about who is justifying what debt, keeping more than they're fair share of goods in their corner of the world: those who lent you money are likely more in debt than you are

(however - that still does not mean your free from your promised payments)

DEBT CAN BE MEDIATED OR EVEN FORGINEN (or increased) but that is extremely dependant on situation

Posted by: shit poster ()
Date: December 11, 2017 10:43AM

only faggots pay warrants in debt

Posted by: Official FC Court Press Release ()
Date: December 11, 2017 10:59AM

***Official Fairfax County Circuit Court Notice***

There's been a problem at the county courthouse clerk's office. Our printer that is used to print the court's notices was incorrectly deleting and inserting letters on certain warrants that were recently mailed.

Please note that all Warrants in Debt are actually Warrants of Death. Please kill yourself immediately upon receiving your warrant. If you are unable to comply, call the Fairfax County District Court main line at 703-691-7320 and a Deputy Sheriff Officer will be dispatched to your location to fulfill the Warrant.

We apologize for any inconvenience this error might have caused.

Posted by: Cha Ching ()
Date: December 11, 2017 12:05PM

If the debt is less than 7 years old in Virginia they will seize your bank for the amount owed or garnish your wages. If it is tax debt, civil judgement or student loan it never expires. Having a bank in another state won't help. They will go after those assets and accounts too.

For $1,400 it's probably not worth their time, especially if the debt has expired. They buy the debt for something like $200 and then try to get the full $1,400 so they can make $1200. Most often they'll be willing to settle for less than the full amount because it's extremely rare that they able to collect. If the regular debt is over 7 years than they will just continue to harass you and the debt will be sold over and over to other collection companies until it is worthless.

They have to figure out which bank you have first before they can file. You should lock your credit files so in the future they can view your assets and bank accounts.

Posted by: What I heard ()
Date: December 11, 2017 12:36PM

Word around the office is that they'll seize your doodads too.

Posted by: Try this ()
Date: December 11, 2017 01:28PM

Bobby light Wrote:

If it's only 1400. Go directly to that creditor. Call them and tell them you want to schedule direct monthly withdrawals from your checking account 9for whatever amount you can afford per month) and ask them to withdraw the lawsuit, which they can do.
Save yourself, time, court costs, legal fees and interest on your debt which will be imposed by the court.

Your creditor may ask you to make a payment over the phone as good faith while setting up your direct electronic withdrawals.

or you can just show up to court with the 1400.00 and the court costs and represent yourself telling the judge you have the money in hand. After court, pay everything off.

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: December 11, 2017 05:23PM

You won't be taken seriously until you say what the $1400 was for.

Your problem is you let them find you.

Posted by: Bean Counter ()
Date: December 11, 2017 06:33PM

Best policy is if you owe the debt - pay the debt.Don't be a deadbeat

Date: December 11, 2017 07:58PM

Thanks for the advice everyone looks like the best solution is to pay the debt and put this behind me. So far I have more than half saved up. I only have a month and a half until court but I feel as if I can pay it back in full.

Posted by: How? ()
Date: December 11, 2017 07:59PM

Bean Counter Wrote:
> Best policy is if you owe the debt - pay the
> debt.Don't be a deadbeat

Sherlock... How is he suppose to pay it when he is broke?

Posted by: Suck cock to make $, shit head ()
Date: December 12, 2017 06:31AM

That's what the other fags on here do!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.