HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Here’s how much Virginia taxpayers are spending to jail marijuana users
Posted by: Blue Virginia Legalize Bud Now!! ()
Date: November 23, 2017 03:20AM

Here’s how much Virginia taxpayers are spending to jail marijuana users

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/10/31/heres-how-much-virginia-taxpayers-are-spending-to-jail-marijuana-users/?utm_term=.271fd1776e86

Over the past 10 years, Virginia authorities have arrested more than 133,000 people suspected of marijuana possession. Each year, about 10,000 individuals are convicted of a first-time marijuana possession offense. And on one day in July 2017, there were 127 individuals in jail on a marijuana charge alone, costing Virginia taxpayers more than $10,000 a day.

Those are among the findings of a report on marijuana decriminalization prepared by the Virginia State Crime Commission ahead of consideration of proposed legislation to decriminalize marijuana possession in the state. The bills would not legalize marijuana outright but would make possession of small quantities of marijuana a civil offense punishable with a fine, similar to a traffic ticket. Under current Virginia law, a first marijuana offense can be punished by up to 30 days in jail and a $500 fine.

In practice, according to the State Crime Commission's report, relatively few people are jailed for marijuana offenses. Jail time is often waived for first-time offenders, and only about 31 percent of subsequent marijuana offenses are punished with jail sentences.

Economy & Business Alerts
Breaking news about economic and business issues.

Among the 127 inmates jailed in Virginia on marijuana charges on July 20, more than three-quarters of them — 96 — were still awaiting their day in court. The remaining 31 marijuana inmates had been charged and convicted. The average per-inmate cost to taxpayers to jail an inmate in Virginia was $79.28 per day.

Thousands of Virginians are convicted of marijuana possession offenses each year, and the number is growing: In fiscal 2008, there were 6,533 convictions for first-time marijuana possession in Virginia. The preliminary numbers for fiscal 2017 show more than 10,000 such convictions.

Those convictions, regardless of whether they result in jail time, can be devastating, according to the report. They can result in loss of a job or a security clearance, suspension of federal student aid, difficulty obtaining housing, and issues with professional licensing and child custody disputes.

There's also the financial cost to consider. “A first time marijuana offender represented by court-appointed counsel can expect to pay approximately $400 to $800 in costs and fees,” according to the report. Failure to pay those fees can result in additional fines and snowballing legal debt.

The burden of marijuana enforcement in Virginia falls disproportionately on young black men, according to the report. African Americans make up about 20 percent of the population in Virginia but account for 45.5 percent of marijuana possession arrests. Nationally, blacks and whites use marijuana at similar rates.

Nationally, 22 states plus the District of Columbia have decriminalized the possession of small quantities of marijuana. In a 2016 survey, 78 percent of Virginians said they favored decriminalizing marijuana, and 62 percent supported outright legalization of recreational use.

In preparing the report, the Virginia State Crime Commission received 3,850 written comments on marijuana decriminalization from the public. More than 97 percent of them were in support of the policy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Here’s how much Virginia taxpayers are spending to jail marijuana users
Posted by: Sid the snitch ()
Date: November 23, 2017 06:04AM

I have a couple worker who smokes that crap. Management didn't do shit when I told them so I need to tip the cops. He'll be better for it when he gets help, he'll be more punctual and sharper. Right now all the foreign guys are out performing him which is difficult to watch.

Posted by: Mary J ()
Date: November 23, 2017 07:57AM

While I favor legalization, pot is illegal and users should expect to do time when caught. Kinda like illegal aliens.

What is it about the word "illegal" that dumb fucks can't understand?

Posted by: Yard Pro ()
Date: November 23, 2017 08:00AM

Sid the snitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a couple worker who smokes that crap.
> Management didn't do shit when I told them so I
> need to tip the cops. He'll be better for it when
> he gets help, he'll be more punctual and sharper.
> Right now all the foreign guys are out performing
> him which is difficult to watch.

Think twice before snitching. Though the foreigners may be outperforming him, it could ruin his career in the lawn mowing biz!

Posted by: It's a money maker ()
Date: November 23, 2017 08:47AM

Lawyer - $500 - $2000
Court costs and fines - $100 - $400
ASAP classes - $300
DMV restricted license fee - $100 (iirc)

They may also recommend additional counseling which can add another few hundred.

Posted by: Marijuana incarcerations ()
Date: November 23, 2017 09:17AM

The true mark of an idiot is only presenting one side of an argument.
If you live/Work near the mex/US border, deaths occur everyday bc of the devils lettuce. Real deaths/murders.

Luckily U live in Gerry/Bullshitova s insulated world where u catch a buzz and get the munchies and laugh about it....not realizing the ugly side of substance abuse.

You don’t pay attention to statistics that show that MJ leads to other drugs.
Turn a blind eye to the fact that 80+% of prison pop in America are incarcerated bc they have a drug habit OR commit crimes to support their habit.
Most mo fo s don’t just inject heroin on day one.
It’s a step by step process that starts with weed.
I smoke daily. I eat it weekly, yet I have NO CRIMINAL RECORD bc I don’t do it in the bowl America Burke parking lot.

So fuck off w ur one sided statistics.
True connoisseurs do it at Home, unlike you FAGGGGS that get caught bc ur stoooopid!
Darwinism at its clearly defined FINEST!
do stooopid shit in ffx co, win even stooooopider prizes.
ASAP is prevalent bc ur tooo dum to stays home!
CHOKE ON A TURKEY NECK TODAY U FUCK!

Posted by: stoners ()
Date: November 23, 2017 12:13PM

Still cheaper than welfare. Go VA go!!

Posted by: imagine cannabis shops in VA!!!! ()
Date: November 24, 2017 04:07AM

If there was a 24/7 marijuana dispensary in Fairfax VA, me and eesh, Cary widerman , and gerrymanderer2.0 would go drove now and buy 99.9% thc marijuana oil rigs to Dab on our silicone oil rigs with our mighty fine kitchen torches

Posted by: Chong Cheech ()
Date: November 24, 2017 08:28PM

Simple solution if this is costing taxpayers lots of money: increase fines drastically. Problem solved, hippies!

Posted by: LEGAL MARIJUANA COMING SOON!!!!! ()
Date: November 24, 2017 08:48PM

WITH RALPH NORTHAM IN OFFICE HE WILL 1st DECRIMINALIZE CANNABIS.. then it will be legal in VIRGINIA.. THERE'S FAR TO MUCH MONEY OUT THERE FOR IT TO BE ILLEGAL!!!!!!! DONT U CONSERVATIVE FUCKS WORRY .. MARIJUANA IS A BIPARTISAN ISSUE!!! IT WILL BE LEGAL ONE DAY IN VIRGINIA YA FUCKS!

Posted by: Don't Legalize It ()
Date: November 24, 2017 09:48PM

America's populace is stupid and reckless enough without having access to yet another narcotic. Weed is motivation killer, significantly hinders academic achievement, can be addictive, and is linked to mental illness. Sorry potheads, but legalizing marijuana is bad news.

Posted by: la la la la ()
Date: November 25, 2017 01:18PM

Don't Legalize It Wrote:
> America's populace is stupid and reckless enough
> without having access to yet another narcotic.
> Weed is motivation killer, significantly hinders
> academic achievement, can be addictive, and is
> linked to mental illness. Sorry potheads, but
> legalizing marijuana is bad news.

It’s my body!!

Posted by: 4435 f ()
Date: November 25, 2017 04:30PM

I dont care how much we spend.Throw these filthy drug dealers and users in jail. They contribute nothing to society. Look at all these teenaged and twenty something losers walking around, living at home,using drugs, unemployed, and unmotivated.
pathetic.

Posted by: Just say nope ()
Date: November 25, 2017 04:55PM

4435 f Wrote:
> I dont care how much we spend.Throw these filthy
> drug dealers and users in jail. They contribute
> nothing to society. Look at all these teenaged and
> twenty something losers walking around, living at
> home,using drugs, unemployed, and unmotivated.
> pathetic.

Exactly - is it a coincidence that a generation raised during the “legalize it - it’s just a plant” movement is living at home, totally devoid of any ambition at all? And it DOES attract criminality and hard drug use - look at all the problems Colorado is having with new crime and hard drugs.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.