HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: ian l ()
Date: November 20, 2009 06:42PM

I contested a parking ticket in Fairfax and went to court. At the hearing when my name was called the police officer said she wanted to drop the charges, no one knew why. Great, I thought. The judge told me what happened and I got up to leave. The judge then said something along the lines of do you have something to say to the officer? I was nervous because this guy had already put a few people in jail that morning. I paused and muttered thank you. My question is what right did this guy on a power trip have to tell me what to say. What could have happened if I just continued walking out the court room and said nothing--I didn't owe her, she forgot to bring her evidence that's why she dropped the charges!

BTW I think I would have lost if she had been ready.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: yep,somebodys watching ()
Date: November 20, 2009 06:45PM

Probably nothing except that it confirms you are an ungrateful douche and karma will take care of it with your next ticket, I would be careful tomorrow, Are there any people on this list except a bunch of losers looking to fuck the system?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: ian ; ()
Date: November 20, 2009 07:17PM

I don't get what I'm suposed to be grateful for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: ?? ()
Date: November 20, 2009 07:30PM

ian ; Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't get what I'm suposed to be grateful for?


Why didn't you ask the judge then, tough guy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Date: November 20, 2009 07:34PM

i dont get what hes supposed to be thankful for either. they were not doing him a favor, they just screwed up and didnt have much else to do other than drop the ticket. if they were prepared, and THEN let him off the hook then maybe they deserve a thank you. but if i were to screw up at work nobody would fuckin thank me

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: November 20, 2009 08:19PM

When dealing with cops and judges, just do what they want and go home.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: eric678997 ()
Date: November 20, 2009 08:26PM

well you said thank you.....so i guess the judge can........

what it comes down to is a very simple rule that all people need to understand and should be taught by all parents.....

"Don't screw with cops or judges"

I can't even count the number of people i have seen get locked up by cops and judges simply because of their poor attitude and dont follow instructions.

the courtroom or police encounter is not that time to become super vocal about your "rights" as a taxpayer.....

if you really feel like you were wronged by a cop or judge you need to get a lawyer and have them help you to keep yourself out of jail.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: November 20, 2009 09:08PM

Also give thanks for not being beaten with a night stick.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: jimmy123 ()
Date: November 20, 2009 09:25PM

496 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also give thanks for not being beaten with a night
> stick.

Or shot!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: November 20, 2009 10:57PM

pgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When dealing with cops and judges, just do what
> they want and go home.

Exactly. Unless you want to make a name for yourself in the law books. If they had held you in contempt of court, which would probably be the worst they could do, you could have appealed it and might have won.

But it's easier to just say "thank you" and take heart in the fact that all the other citizens in the court are thinking the same thing you are...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: Harry_P._Noss ()
Date: November 21, 2009 12:01AM

No, judge can't make you say "Thank You". No more than you can
make the judge say "don't shoot". As far as what the judge said. I would have turned around, looked at the cop and said "next time bring your shit with you and you might not have people like that guy, (and points at the judge) asking me if I have anything to say as though an appology or graciousness should be proclaimed to you, merely for the fact that you did not do your job by presenting the evidence the court needed to give me a fine! Now to make myself pay I'm going to spray paint NIGGER and KKK and swasticas and 666 all over my fuckin garage door as punishment to myself. And then i would have stomped my foot on the ground a d marched off with a pouty lip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: November 21, 2009 12:41AM

I guess you could look at it like this: A "Thank You" might suffice, because with all due honesty, they could've attempted to reschedule your hearing.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: November 21, 2009 12:53AM

And in all honesty, if the judge said that "on second thought we might be able to rescedule this hearing", would it not be worth it just to talk to the pig like that? Especially when very few of them treat you with an ounce of respect?

Come on you know it would be worth it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: ian l ()
Date: November 21, 2009 01:12AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess you could look at it like this: A "Thank
> You" might suffice, because with all due honesty,
> they could've attempted to reschedule your
> hearing.


That's what I was afraid of.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Date: November 21, 2009 02:06AM

Never be afraid, stare the judge right in the eyes and say- fuck you judge! Be sure to say it like you mean it. If you spit in his direction, scores you points. Try it next time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: dono ()
Date: November 21, 2009 10:24AM

You certainly did the smart thing.

It would have been more ballsy to ask 'Your Honor, does the court require testimony or additional comment from the defendant?"

or

"If it pleases the Court the Defendant believes that your Honor is requesting that I 'thank' the officer - to whit I would like to thank the officer for his service to community.

Apropos to the State's decision not to proceed with charges against the me, the Defendant, suffice-it-to-say the I feel justice has been served.

I respectfully submit that it is beyond my expertise to evaluate the the merit of bringing such a case to the Court as it pertains to the Court's, the Officer's and the Defendant's time and expense...

Thank you your Honor."

or

"Your Honor. That unjust charges against me have been dropped by the Officer is certainly something to be thankful for. The officer is to be commended for recognizing this case against me lacked sufficient merit to proceed and in doing so has saved me and the Court additional time and expense..."



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2009 10:31AM by dono.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: November 21, 2009 10:40AM

Which Judge did this? They are elected to 6 year terms by the General Assembly.

If it really bothers you, call your State Senator and Delegate and complain.

The cop should be apologizing to you for the inconvenience of dragging you into Court on a case they couldn't prove.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: NegativeDreamStealer ()
Date: November 21, 2009 11:31AM

You were supposed to thank the cop for taking it easy on a depraved offender such as yourself.

Remember, in traffic court you're presumed guilty. The burden is on you to prove your innocence.

Yes, the judge was on a power trip. This sort is common in traffic court. You're lucky you didn't try to present evidence in your own defense. (Only one smart person is allowed in the courtroom, you see, and he's sitting on the bench.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 21, 2009 06:55PM

ian l Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I contested a parking ticket in Fairfax and went
> to court. At the hearing when my name was called
> the police officer said she wanted to drop the
> charges, no one knew why. Great, I thought. The
> judge told me what happened and I got up to leave.
> The judge then said something along the lines of
> do you have something to say to the officer? I
> was nervous because this guy had already put a few
> people in jail that morning. I paused and
> muttered thank you.


my words would have been "epic fail!" and then i would laugh my way out of the courtroom. :)


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can a judge make you say "thank you?"
Posted by: Yup ()
Date: November 22, 2009 06:23PM

I would have said. Thank you your honor for your undaunting graciousness, would you be liking a squishy? (in Apu form the Quicky Marts voice)

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **      **   *******   **     **  **     **  **     ** 
 **  **  **  **     **  **     **   **   **   **     ** 
 **  **  **  **         **     **    ** **    **     ** 
 **  **  **  ********   **     **     ***     **     ** 
 **  **  **  **     **  **     **    ** **     **   **  
 **  **  **  **     **  **     **   **   **     ** **   
  ***  ***    *******    *******   **     **     ***    
This forum powered by Phorum.