HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
hunting
Posted by: jojak ()
Date: November 30, 2006 06:15PM

Does any on in the area deer hunt, and what is the species of the deer in the vienna area because I seen a stinking albino deer from my girlfriends back patio and I am a montana mountian man and love to hunt and I would love to kill an albino deer i have shot many deer and have never had the chance to get one as rare as an albino. So whare is the closest place to shoot some deer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hunting
Posted by: new guy ()
Date: November 30, 2006 06:23PM

You are from montana that is awsome, so am I, I will be there the 11th of december Hunting season just ended here in montana and I shot a 150 inch white tail buck.

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: November 30, 2006 06:35PM

No hunting in ffx county.

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: November 30, 2006 07:05PM

You can bow hunt in Fairfax. All you need is permission from the landowner. I'm sure in certain areas you can't, but you can hunt in Fairfax.

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: November 30, 2006 07:14PM

Yeah, I didn't think of that. I was referring to firearms. My bad.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: November 30, 2006 07:56PM

5 acre minimum for bow hunting not sure of the season dates.

Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: December 01, 2006 12:06AM

I know they have bow hunting at Fountainhead Reginal Park in Clifton. You will have to call to see when it is. I like to run/walk on trails in fairfax County. Not a day goes by that I don't see about ten deer. They are all over this county. I never saw an albino one. I bet it is blind too. You could call him Powder like tha boy in the movie.

Trickie

Posted by: Somebody_ ()
Date: December 01, 2006 07:34AM

To paraphrase your question:
"Wow, hey look, there's a rare and beautiful wild animal... I'd love to kill me some of that."

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 01, 2006 09:46AM

I have some friends that live way out in the middle of nowhere south of Front Royal, and there are thousands of deer everywhere. I was out there in October and we counted over 20 right there on his property, and deer everywhere along the back roads. It's probably not the closest place to go hunting, but it's only an hour away and I'm guessing you wouldn't have any problem bagging a deer out there. There are so many around the roads they become a driving hazard, so the herd probably could use a some thinning out.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: December 01, 2006 01:12PM

Hey Jo Jak

I wouldnt hunt around here, I just got back from the GW forest, in Elizabeths furnace. There are alot of deer out there, its really nice out there..I got an 8 point buck and a medium size doe.....just hunt in the low lands and the gaps...

have fun

Posted by: § ()
Date: December 01, 2006 04:29PM

Isn't Jo Jak a GPS tracking device for car security? -§

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: December 01, 2006 10:14PM

Oh I feel so bad. My friend and I were walking around Lorton prison yesterday. We were on a path by the fence near the football field. We must have startled a deer because he ran from us. he ran right into the fence and he fell with his neck at a weird angle. We waited for 20 min. to see if he would get up. He didn't but his hind legs were flailing once in a while. So then I went to occoquan Park and asked the worker there to call animal control. he did and they were gonna send someone out to either put him out of his misery (the deer not the park worker) or else try and free him if his antlers were caught in the fence. Now I feel so guilty for scaring him. I hope he is okay but my guess is - he broke his neck or something.

Trickie

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: December 03, 2006 08:06PM

Its all good. There are a lot of deer around here, so killing 1 or even a few by accident or hunting, the county is OK with. They just prohibit firearm hunting so all the people who kill others with guns cant pull a Dick Chaney.

Every year bull run park has the annual deer shoot.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 03, 2006 09:46PM

TRICKIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [...] he ran right into the fence and he fell [...]

LOL! dont feel bad, darwin is thinning out the herd.

§ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't Jo Jak a GPS tracking device for car
> security? -§

i think you mean LoJack. it's not GPS but here is how it works. what they dont tell you is that the beacon signal is activated by helicopter and you personally cannot activate it. you report it stolen first then they will look for it. i guess they broadcast the signals whenever they fly because some cars are recovered years after they have gone missing.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: djn ()
Date: December 04, 2006 09:23AM

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/comm/deer/deermgt.htm - Deer Management in Fairfax County

Everything you would ever want to know.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: December 04, 2006 10:30AM

...activated by helicopter...they broadcast the signals whenever they fly...

Yes, while it may be attached to aviation units, many police cruisers are also equipped with the tracking hardware. You may notice a series of four antennas on the roof in a diamond-shaped pattern, these are for LoJack. There is also a head unit near the MDT (mobile display terminal) that has a series of LEDs in a circle which is use to identify the direction (triangulate?) the signal.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 04, 2006 11:12AM

Lester Burnham,
   thanks for the info. the system doesnt triangulate the location as that would give an actual location on a map. instead i believe the multiple antennas are used to detect the direction of the car with lojack. while possible to use multiple cars to find the exacting location, i do not believe lojack has that level of sophistication. ive never known why there are a jillion antennas on some cruisers and now i know. thanks!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2006 11:15AM by Gravis.

Posted by: The Deer Hunter ()
Date: April 04, 2020 05:52PM

Bump it up!

https://youtu.be/2IR2wwvcep4
Attachments:
IMG_5200.JPG
IMG_6675.GIF
IMG_5592.GIF
IMG_6504.JPG

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.