HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Being sued for defamation
Posted by: Blu ()
Date: November 29, 2006 11:48PM

Well, I'm being sued for $500,000 and wanted to know if anyone has any information about establishing a legal defense fund???? I feel vulnerable and I'm extremely stressed. Help??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Being sued for defamation
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 30, 2006 01:00AM

Who did you defame and how? It's important for us to know exact details.

Posted by: Holden McCrank ()
Date: November 30, 2006 07:24AM

How about a legal defense pyramid scheme? I'll defame you, and then you sue me for like $600k (you can pay your $500k and even make some profit). Then somebody defame me and I'll sue them. I guess it's not so much a pyramid, as a chain, but you get the picture. Here I'll start:

Blu smells kind of funny and throws like a girl.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: November 30, 2006 07:53AM

Yes, it is hard to advise without details. This may be another drive-by poster who wastes everyone's time and never responds to anything, so I would recommend not posting any advice until more details are posted.

Posted by: Former HOA President ()
Date: November 30, 2006 08:48AM

"Truth" is a 100% defense against slander, most of the time.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 30, 2006 09:34AM

Blu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I'm being sued for $500,000

wow... you seriously had to piss someone off to make them sue you for that much. im dying to know how you did such a thing!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: November 30, 2006 09:42AM

The details: The suit is for defamation pro se -- claiming that I made false statements to the Bar and to the Consumer protection people in Fairfax; defemation per quod -- claiming that I published statements to third parties to include the Fairfax consumer protection office; Tortioius interference with contgractual and business relations -- claiming that I made false statements that resulted in the firms business relatiosn and valid contractual relationships with a number of clients were disrupted; Statutory and commmn law consipiracy to injure reputation, trade, business or profession -- claiming that I conspired with others and the co-conpirators associated, agreed and mutually undertook and cercerted together for the purpose of willfully and maliciously injuring the firm; and, finally, abuse of process for filing a meritless bar complaint and frivolous complaint with the Fairfax consumer office.

Regarding defamation pro se -- I spoke and wrote the truth and have read and read and haven't seen anything that could rise to allegation of defamation, either pro se or per quod.

The remaining allegations are somewhat perplexing. Tortioius interference - I researched the law and I didn't have a contract or business relationship with this firm and I never spoke with anyone who was in a business relationship with them.

Conspiracy -- I never conspired with anyone. I spoke with three other people being sued by this lawyer. One I had dinner with and we talked about vacations and things like that -- actually, he wasn't even involved any actions for it was actually his girlfriend who was sued and he told me the outcome of that case; another person and I spoke on the phone twice about why he was being sued; and the third person asked me to be a witness in another action where he was being sued by this same lawyer. I was a witness but I was not in the courtroom when the case was being presented and I was never called as a witness. My testimony was not going to be about what transpired that led to the case, I was only going to be a witness to the what this lawyer had said to me in other interactions -- that is probably why I wasn't called.

Oh, abuse of process -- that one is very confusing for that relates to courts and I have never been sanctioned for abuses to the court system -- and complaints to the Bar and to the consumer groups are not legal processes.

Now, to top it off -- all parties live and work in Fairfax and yet he went to Va Beach to file.

This is a long story -- perhaps he went to Va Beach because two weeks ago, this firm attempted to sue me for frivious lawsuit and wanted sanctions and the Circuit Court judge denied them there action and told us to go our own ways. The firm asked for reconsideration and the Judge denied the request and wrote a three page opinion letter.

During this interaction above, I was crying, I was stressed and I received a letter from the firm stating that I could resolve all of this by paying them 5,000 and then they would go away and I would not be sued for sactions.

I did not pay them this money. During their second attempt to have it heard, I was crying and crying and just wanted it to go away. Undertand, I did not do anything wrong and never acted in any way but professional -- I just wanted it to stop. I talked with a the lawyer who was in the courthouse that day on the reconsideration issue -- he told me he asked to be removed from this case because he just didn't like it -- and he asked how much I would be willing to pay to get rid of this action. I said $3,000 and he said he would send me something on this. I received an email that said I could pay $3,000 to end this and that I needed to sign a consent order that was attached. I read the consent order and it had all kinds of untruths in it and I wouldn't sign it. I wrote an email to the firm and said that it was best that we part ways and go on to lead productive and prosperous lives. A few days later, I received a call from a lawyer in the firm who said that the reason they wanted me to sign the consent order is to ensure that I wouldn't file any more complaints about the firm. I said the order was chocked full of untruths and I wouldn't sign it. The lawyer said that the owner of the firm would not require me to sign the consent order if I would then pay 7,000.00. I declined --- and I thought it was all over.

THen I get hit with the defamation, etc., suit.

Important to note that I have a number of emails and letters from this firm that are simply awful, even one stating that if I want to play lawyer they will see to it that I am kept very busy....

In summation, let me say that my sole intent was to follow processes that are in place for consumers who have issues or concerns with law firms. I kept it clean and never made accusations that were untrue....I am somewhat of a consumer advocate and I am being majorly burned and I'm stressed...

So, now you have most of the story.

I do have an umprella policy that should provide for my defense of the defamation allegations, the other allegations will be handled by another lawyer.
I don't know how much all of this will cost for me to defend.

My reason for writing in this forum is because it seems that there are many people who are very smart and savvy on this service and perhaps someone could offer me some additional advise or words of encouragement.

I even thought of establishing a defense fund?? Don't laugh, I'm just searching.

All help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Sincerely, Blu

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: November 30, 2006 09:42AM

$500,000 is probably a random number some Lawyer thought up so they could settle for $500.

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: November 30, 2006 10:00AM

Are you the joker who was bashing the law firm by name on this site a few months ago? If so, I believe you were warned this would happen.

Date: November 30, 2006 10:01AM

The problem here is your not a Lawyer so the A-hole Lawyer is betting that he has you backed into a corner on costs. They filed a second case with a different judge after the original was rejected. Sounds like this guy is harassing you.

Have you thought about talking to a Lawyer about a $700,000 counter suit? Tell the Lawyer he can have $200,000 of the money if he wins you keep $500,000.

What ever you do don't give them any evidence that they can use against you and be nice.

Date: November 30, 2006 10:23AM

You know, needle dicks like you piss me off. You go around slandering people and then when they take your ass to court you cry like a little bitch! I have an idea - don't slander or libel people/businesses!

It sounds to me like you were essentially harassing these people by bitching to everyone you could. Now that they are calling your bluff, you are being a pussy.

Screw you! You are getting what you deserve.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: November 30, 2006 10:29AM

Fairfax MF---er Wrote:
> Are you the joker who was bashing the law firm by
> name on this site a few months ago? If so, I
> believe you were warned this would happen.

LMAO, Do you really think judges put a lot faith in Internet bulletin board chat? I can just see it know, Case #1944- "Internet Chat Name Calling Suit against Jan Smith."

Date: November 30, 2006 11:15AM

Lurker Wrote:
> Fairfax MF---er Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Are you the joker who was bashing the law firm
> by
> > name on this site a few months ago? If so, I
> > believe you were warned this would happen.
>
>
> LMAO, Do you really think judges put a lot faith
> in Internet bulletin board chat? I can just see
> it know, Case #1944- "Internet Chat Name Calling
> Suit against Jan Smith."

Apparently you don't watch the news. There are all kinds of libel suits coming out now because of this kind of thing. Most won't stand up in court, but the intent is to intimidate the accuser - which is what is happening to old Blu here.

Posted by: Lasuena ()
Date: November 30, 2006 11:22AM

There used to be (maybe still are) attorneys around here who will have a free consultation with you. If they believe they can win your case their payment will be a third of the settlement, with you getting the rest.

Also you may want to check out http://counsel.net/chatboards/legal-questions/

They respond quickly and may be able to help you get started.

I don't think you are required to sign anything under duress, or without the help of your own attorney. Of course I don't know that for sure. And I don't know the legality of threats, but would keep good notes.

Posted by: 356 ()
Date: November 30, 2006 11:41AM

YOU'RE MY BOY BLUE (dust in the wind)

Posted by: Former HOA President ()
Date: November 30, 2006 12:29PM

Lasuena Wrote:
> There used to be (maybe still are) attorneys
> around here who will have a free consultation with
> you. If they believe they can win your case their
> payment will be a third of the settlement, with
> you getting the rest.
>
> Also you may want to check out
> http://counsel.net/chatboards/legal-questions/
>
> They respond quickly and may be able to help you
> get started.
>
> I don't think you are required to sign anything
> under duress, or without the help of your own
> attorney. Of course I don't know that for sure.
> And I don't know the legality of threats, but
> would keep good notes.

Both Fairfax and Arlington Counties have lawyer referal services, administered by the Bar Associations. You pay a small amount ($40) and met with a lawyer who had at least some knowledge of your area of expertise. No joke, I met a lawyer who was knowledgeable about VA tree laws. Many lawyers will not touch tree disputes because the laws date back 100s of years and are so tricky.

Anyway in 1/2 scheduled consultation, the lawyer will listen to your story and tell you whether on not you have a case and then possibly take the case or refer you to someone who will. When I used this process 5 years ago, the consultation fee was donated to charity.

If they are suing you for $500,000 or $700,000 maybe you should call lawyer referal and ask to speak to a bankruptcy lawyer.

Since you posted on Fairfaxunderground.com and you made certain statements, I will guess you are in Fairfax County. Here is the website for ffx county lawyer referal service.

http://www.fairfaxbar.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=4

Warning - this post contains verifiable facts.

Posted by: § ()
Date: November 30, 2006 12:38PM

First and foremost, you will need to retain counsel. Depending on your financial situation, you can retain for as little as $5,000 for a sole practitioner and as much as $50,000 for a large blue-chip firm. My guess is that you won't need the latter since you just need someone who can help navigate the legal system. Keep in mind that most umbrella policies do not cover counter-suits, only defense.

While not my area of expertise, defamation is a charge that must meet the test of public dissemination and damages. This firm MUST prove they were monetarily damaged by these accusations and that your efforts were distributed to a wide audience. Truth will render all charges moot. For the damage claim, they will have to prove that YOU were responsible for lost business and/or lost future business. The latter is difficult for them to quantify. For the former, clients (or former clients) will need to be deposed and state on record that the alleged false information YOU disseminated was the ONLY cause for this firm's dismissal. While the plaintiff has the burden of proof that your accusations were false, you will need to affirmatively defend your account as the truth. This means no "he said she said". You will need a chronology of supporting documentation and witness testimony. Re: public dissemination, you are provided the right to complain to any regulatory association so long as not frivilous and abusive. It is the agency or association's job to investigate. Without knowledge of the common law standard of care, this seems entirely appropriate to me. What would be considered inappropriate would be if you called upon said clients and made false accusations. Re: venue, they most likely filed in VA Beach because must have an office / do business there. You can petition to change venues due to overburdening circumstances if the complaintant also has an office here in Fairfax.

The long and short of it is that this entire house of cards will fall if you spoke the truth in a non-harassing manner and they fail to prove monetary damages. Good luck. -§

Date: November 30, 2006 06:23PM

Thanks so much for your response. I do appreciate it and I am not a person who slings arrows. I am new to this site and the responses have been very helpful for the most part.

I am still very afraid........

Thanks so much.....

Date: November 30, 2006 06:26PM

I probably shouldn't waste my time responding to your message for it is apparent that you have issues.

In any case -- I assure you I am not a "needle dick" -- actually, I'm dickless -- both in that I am a woman and I am without a partner.

Please don't be so hostile or judgmental -- I don't slander or libel -- I don't call names and I don't harass.

I am new to this site and am amazed at your comments.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: November 30, 2006 07:45PM

Defamation is usually pretty hard to prove and in my opinion it looks like they are just saber rattling but I really have no idea and am not familiar with this at all (and don't wish to be). Look up New York Times v Sullivan

Main points being are alleged to have said are "fair comments and criticism" or your opinion said comments are usually exempt from defaming someone's status. Hopefully you can get the judge to throw it out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2006 07:46PM by Mofo.

Posted by: SaMiViMa ()
Date: November 30, 2006 07:54PM

Blu Wrote:
> I probably shouldn't waste my time responding to
> your message for it is apparent that you have
> issues.
>
> In any case -- I assure you I am not a "needle
> dick" -- actually, I'm dickless -- both in that I
> am a woman and I am without a partner.
>
> Please don't be so hostile or judgmental -- I
> don't slander or libel -- I don't call names and I
> don't harass.
>
> I am new to this site and am amazed at your
> comments.

Well, if you are new to the site, then you need to know that sometimes people say things on here that are mean and hateful. I ignore those posts. You reply, it keeps the nastiness going. However, they are free to post what they want, just as I am. We just go about it differently. As I am sure you see though, most people on here will try to be as helpful as they can.
Good luck.

Posted by: Lasuena ()
Date: November 30, 2006 08:23PM

>Please don't be so hostile or judgmental -- I don't slander or libel -- I don't call names and I don't harass.

>I am new to this site and am amazed at your comments.

I don't think anybody means it, we're all used to knocking each other around.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: November 30, 2006 09:04PM

The Virginia Bar Association has investigators that look into complaints on lawyers. You may consider contacting them to see if everything is by the book or maybe what the lawyer is doing is out of bounds. For the main website try
http://www.vsb.org/

for the complaint try http://www.vsb.org/site/regulation/inquiry/

good luck

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: November 30, 2006 09:07PM

p.s. Here are some cases from the first part of this year. Do some research and see if the lawyer you are talking about appears on any of them.
http://www.vsb.org/profguides/actions_jan06-jun06.html

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 30, 2006 09:21PM

I am new to this site and am amazed at your comments.

There's alot of nerdish high school anger on this site but most of the people are OK and pretty knowledeable about the area, or sorta clever/funny about it.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: November 30, 2006 09:31PM

YOu might not have wanted to say you are without a partner. Someone might pull a gravis and find out where you live along with another page of info on you and show up at your door soliciting.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 30, 2006 09:47PM

it's not this assclown is it? - http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read.php?2,19096,19256

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: duh ()
Date: November 30, 2006 10:03PM

About 3 years ago I got screwed on a home improvement job (it was botched badly). I payed the bums but made sure they knew how unhappy I was. Although I verbally told a few neighbors to stay away from this outfit, I made no formal complaints to anybody, anywhere.

Just this week I got an e-mail from somebody claiming to be considering hiring this company. They wanted me to tell them what exactly went wrong on my job.

I haven't got clue how this person got my e-mail OR knew about my dissatisfaction with this company.

Though I'd dearly love to prevent others from getting screwed by this outfit....I smelled a set-up and didn't respond to the e-mail.

Would it be defamation if I had?

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: November 30, 2006 10:18PM

duh Wrote:
> Though I'd dearly love to prevent others from
> getting screwed by this outfit....I smelled a
> set-up and didn't respond to the e-mail.
>
> Would it be defamation if I had?

I don't think it would have if you made statements of opinion, for example:

"In my opinion I was not treated fairly by the company and I am dissatisfied to the point where I would not return to them for business or make a personal recommendation to others in favor of this company. However the experience of others may be different and you should base your decision on the entire range of responses you get. Good luck!"

If you didn't call them out as crooks but instead simply express dissatisfaction I doubt they could do anything to you. Heck, don't Consumer's Checkbook and "7 on your Side" go way further than this all the time?

Posted by: duh ()
Date: November 30, 2006 10:30PM

pgens Wrote:
> duh Wrote:
> -----
> > Though I'd dearly love to prevent others from
> > getting screwed by this outfit....I smelled a
> > set-up and didn't respond to the e-mail.
> >
> > Would it be defamation if I had?
>
> I don't think it would have if you made statements
> of opinion, for example:
>
> "In my opinion I was not treated fairly by the
> company and I am dissatisfied to the point where I
> would not return to them for business or make a
> personal recommendation to others in favor of this
> company. However the experience of others may be
> different and you should base your decision on the
> entire range of responses you get. Good luck!"
>
> If you didn't call them out as crooks but instead
> simply express dissatisfaction I doubt they could
> do anything to you. Heck, don't Consumer's
> Checkbook and "7 on your Side" go way further than
> this all the time?

Thanks. I'm pretty sure your hypothetical response would be okay. I just can't help wondering if it was the company itself that e-mailed me in the hope that I would go too far in bashing them and then they'd sue me.

I would think that Consumers Checkbook and Channel 7 have that freedom of the press thing on their side (plus lots of lawyers advising them)?

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: December 01, 2006 12:14AM

Blu, looks like someones got a crush on ya.

Ignore it...

Causing you imotional stress go seek a doctor and let them know of your condition caused by this firm.... (harrasment etc..) ..... This might come in handy for you later on when this is over.

"This is a long story -- perhaps he went to Va Beach because two weeks ago, this firm attempted to sue me for frivious lawsuit and wanted sanctions and the Circuit Court judge denied them there action and told us to go our own ways. The firm asked for reconsideration and the Judge denied the request and wrote a three page opinion letter.

During this interaction above, I was crying, I was stressed and I received a letter from the firm stating that I could resolve all of this by paying them 5,000 and then they would go away and I would not be sued for sactions"

WTF??!!??

Posted by: § ()
Date: December 01, 2006 11:04AM

pgens Wrote:
> duh Wrote:
> -----
> > Though I'd dearly love to prevent others from
> > getting screwed by this outfit....I smelled a
> > set-up and didn't respond to the e-mail.
> >
> > Would it be defamation if I had?
>
> I don't think it would have if you made statements
> of opinion, for example:
>
> "In my opinion I was not treated fairly by the
> company and I am dissatisfied to the point where I
> would not return to them for business or make a
> personal recommendation to others in favor of this
> company. However the experience of others may be
> different and you should base your decision on the
> entire range of responses you get. Good luck!"
>
> If you didn't call them out as crooks but instead
> simply express dissatisfaction I doubt they could
> do anything to you. Heck, don't Consumer's
> Checkbook and "7 on your Side" go way further than
> this all the time?

I agree re: expressing opinions being ok, but there are some limitations. The same goes for recommendations in the workplace for former co-workers looking for a new job - - if a bad recommendation, never give it to the requestor in writing and only say via phone that you would not hire this person(s) again with no explanation. LESS information equals MORE protection. -§

Posted by: Popper ()
Date: December 01, 2006 11:20AM

Go see a Doctor and get some good happy pills for that stress :)

Date: December 01, 2006 01:59PM

Gravis Wrote:
> it's not this assclown is it? -
> http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read.php?2
> ,19096,19256

Sounds like it to me.

Oooo-ahooo-hooo, Donna Blu
What's a game girl, if you never lose
Ask a winner and you'll probably find
Oooo, Donna they've lost at sometime

Don't try to tell me that you're not aware
Of what you're doing and that you don't care
You say it's easy, just a natural thing
Like playing music, but you never sing

Oooo-ahooo-hooo, Donna Blu
Lives her life from inside of her room
Makes you think that her life is a drag
Oooo, Donna, what fun you have had

Date: December 01, 2006 02:12PM

duh Wrote:
> About 3 years ago I got screwed on a home
> improvement job (it was botched badly). I payed
> the bums but made sure they knew how unhappy I
> was. Although I verbally told a few neighbors to
> stay away from this outfit, I made no formal
> complaints to anybody, anywhere.
>
> Just this week I got an e-mail from somebody
> claiming to be considering hiring this company.
> They wanted me to tell them what exactly went
> wrong on my job.
>
> I haven't got clue how this person got my e-mail
> OR knew about my dissatisfaction with this
> company.
>
> Though I'd dearly love to prevent others from
> getting screwed by this outfit....I smelled a
> set-up and didn't respond to the e-mail.
>
> Would it be defamation if I had?

All you would need to say is, "I wouldn't hire them again." And leave it at that.

You are being honest and allowing someone else to draw their own conclusions.

Date: December 01, 2006 02:13PM

Blu Wrote:

>
> I am new to this site and am amazed at your
> comments.

First time on the Internet, I see.

Date: December 01, 2006 02:20PM

So go hide in a corner and let the next guy get ripped off. That's bullshit!

If somebody F's me over you better believe I am going to let people know about it!

Posted by: Attorney hater ()
Date: December 01, 2006 07:16PM

I would recommend Brain Hirsh from Reston as a true litigation attorney.I remember the attorney and your post from way back when.They are a "Big yellow page ad" law firm not a REAL litigation firm.The attorney you are dealing with has a reputation with the Judges in Fairfax,that is why they are trying a different venue which will not fly if you retain competent counsel.Frankly you created problems for yourself in posting derogatory comments about a litigation happy attorney who can sue for free and use the legal system to harass.Call Brain.Good luck I really hope you come out on this ok.Your opponent is an unbalanced wacko and a lousy attorney.Hirsh will kick his ass.

Posted by: attorney hater ()
Date: December 01, 2006 07:25PM

By the way there is no basis for a defamation suit for making comments about a company or firm.Defamation/ slander only works in cases directed at an individual.The comments have to be proven FALSE.What ever was said about this attorney can't be defamation as he has a reputation that supports just about every possible comment that you could have made.They are just trying to scare you into silence and shacking you down for cash.The "firm" has a sucko rep. and the attorney you mention has made a fool out of himself many times.Someone should set up a anonymous website to warn others about the jerk.

Posted by: asdfjklsadlkjfasdlkj; ()
Date: December 02, 2006 03:05PM

hahahaha this is funny. all you have to do is go in there yourself (no lawyer needed) and tell the judge that the suit is total bullshit. how could you have possibly cost them 500,000 dollars? seriously...

Posted by: Fact is ()
Date: August 23, 2020 03:56PM

There is much going around.

Posted by: BEH 2 ()
Date: August 23, 2020 04:51PM

Fact is Wrote:
> There is much going around.

Andi Geloo's AVVO profile is packed with fake reviews, all by the same author, many on the same day. If defamation is illegal, shameless and dishonest self-promotion should carry the same penalties.

Posted by: Legal Beagle ()
Date: August 23, 2020 07:21PM

BEH 2 Wrote:
> Fact is Wrote:
> -----
> > There is much going around.
>
>
> Andi Geloo's AVVO profile is packed with fake
> reviews, all by the same author, many on the same
> day. If defamation is illegal, shameless and
> dishonest self-promotion should carry the same
> penalties.

Libel is a mere civil tort. Andi is committing a crime!

18.2-216. Untrue, deceptive or misleading advertising, inducements, writings or documents.
A. Any person, firm, corporation or association who, with intent to sell or in anywise dispose of merchandise, securities, service or anything offered by such person, firm, corporation or association, directly or indirectly, to the public for sale or distribution or with intent to increase the consumption thereof, or to induce the public in any manner to enter into any obligation relating thereto, or to acquire title thereto, or any interest therein, makes, publishes, disseminates, circulates or places before the public, or causes, directly or indirectly to be made, published, disseminated, circulated or placed before the public, in a newspaper or other publications, or in the form of a book, notice, handbill, poster, blueprint, map, bill, tag, label, circular, pamphlet or letter or in any other way, an advertisement of any sort regarding merchandise, securities, service, land, lot or anything so offered to the public, which advertisement contains any promise, assertion, representation or statement of fact which is untrue, deceptive or misleading, or uses any other method, device or practice which is fraudulent, deceptive or misleading to induce the public to enter into any obligation, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Attachments:
Screenshot_20200717-215040.png

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.