HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Best Place to see Christmas Lights
Posted by: SaMiViMa ()
Date: November 29, 2006 04:50PM

Hey, I figured to go along with the topic of the Bull Run light display and the suggestion under that topic of the lights in Sterling, maybe we could get some ideas as to where some neighborhoods are where they tend to go all out. Any ideas anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Place to see Christmas Lights
Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: November 29, 2006 06:38PM

Are there neighborhoods that coordinate this, or is more of a house by house thing?

I don't want to turn this into a meandering xenophobic rant in just the second post, but I have noticed over the past few years that my community (Fairfax Club Estates) and neighboring Middleridge have fewer houses with lights & decorations. I know that many of these homes are owned by families with cultural heritages other than the U S of A which may explain why their houses are dark this time of year.

There used to be house on Paynes Church Drive that always won the HOA "VEPCO" award for the most lights, but it was hard to call it anything other than bright. One of my neighbors goes the very traditional route by enveloping his trees with small white lights, garland above the door with wreaths and candles in every window. Another house used to look like Freemont Street in Vegas, but I think that they got too old to put the lights up each year.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 29, 2006 07:40PM

The Pimmit Hills neighborhood near Tysons always has alot of houses all lit up with xmas decorations. Some done very tastefully, some elaborate, others obnoxious and tacky. But it's still pretty cool that people take the time to do it, not like my lazy ass. I wouldn't go out of my way to drive thru the neighborhood, but if you're in the area and looking for holiday decorations it's worth a cruise thru. There's even a house on Pimmit Drive near Lisle Ave. that puts a miniature helicopter with a working rotor on it's roof as part of their decoration, it's pretty goofy.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: November 29, 2006 07:51PM

There's a house near where I live that the old folks home usually brings a bus or two by for. He has like 5 employees string them all over the fuckin place.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: November 29, 2006 09:07PM

There used to be two houses across the street from each other that compete each year in Annadale. The road is off Gallows. I thinks it's Oliver and Murray? Or maybe Longstreet. They usually make the news and local paper.

Last year they took donations for a walk through the backyard.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: November 29, 2006 09:34PM

THere is this crazy dude in LRR that has 2 million lights I think. If you saw Nat'l Lampoon's Xmas Vaction, that many lights and then some. The man must use up 10 bucks of electricity every minute he has them on.

Edit to add: heres some pics. Awarded the "tackiest of 2005" meaning they are good. THe description: Tackiest of 2005...When I turned the corner and saw it, I literally squealed with delight.
These photos don't begin to show the true volume of lights, it's blinding!!
I've never seen so many light strings going in so many directions. Reminds me of a spider web. You've got to see this to believe it.
A co-worker led me to this one. Also appears on uglychristmaslights.com (Mosquito Net) but, I would never call it ugly...

Ah heres the Address: 6226 Stonehunt Place, Clifton, (Little Rocky Run)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2006 09:43PM by KeepOnTruckin.
Attachments:
stonehunt5.jpg
stonehunt3.jpg

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 29, 2006 10:27PM

Thanks Keep On Truckin, I might have to swing out that way just to see it. But 2 million? C'mon!

Posted by: 356 ()
Date: November 30, 2006 11:57AM

I only go to Pimmit Hills for Tamales, used machetes and possibly a blow job for a greencard deal.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 30, 2006 02:03PM

There is a guy in Front Royal with 8 Inflatables in his yard. He must have gone to Walmart and bought one of everything in the xmass department. Cant find the picture I saw in the paper. He must WANT to short out his limited electrical fuses and box.

Date: November 30, 2006 04:43PM

I might get over there and askt the guy how long it takes him to set up and how many lights he actually uses. Its a lot though. He has been doing for years, so I am sure he had to have a few extra circuits put into his house to handle them all. Its a lot of lights.

Date: December 04, 2006 11:00AM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THere is this crazy dude in LRR that has 2 million
> lights I think. If you saw Nat'l Lampoon's Xmas
> Vaction, that many lights and then some. The man
> must use up 10 bucks of electricity every minute
> he has them on.
>
> Edit to add: heres some pics. Awarded the
> "tackiest of 2005" meaning they are good. THe
> description: Tackiest of 2005...When I turned the
> corner and saw it, I literally squealed with
> delight.
> These photos don't begin to show the true volume
> of lights, it's blinding!!
> I've never seen so many light strings going in so
> many directions. Reminds me of a spider web.
> You've got to see this to believe it.
> A co-worker led me to this one. Also appears on
> uglychristmaslights.com (Mosquito Net) but, I
> would never call it ugly...
>
> Ah heres the Address: 6226 Stonehunt Place,
> Clifton, (Little Rocky Run)

I checked out the lights over the weekend. Pretty cool. Looks like a lot the houses leading up to the main attraction are also now starting to do the same thing. Lots of lights on that street also.

Posted by: Scott ()
Date: December 04, 2006 04:32PM

Photos of Xmas lights on Juniper St in Sterling and a few other spots.

http://members.tripod.com/hollyzell/christmas_lights.htm

Date: December 05, 2006 08:00PM

Some other houses (like me!!) try to put up some, but nothing comes close.

Date: December 11, 2006 08:24AM

Scott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photos of Xmas lights on Juniper St in Sterling
> and a few other spots.
>
> http://members.tripod.com/hollyzell/christmas_ligh
> ts.htm

I checked out spots 17 and 20 (Rt66 and 28) on the site. They are pretty awesome, worth the trip. 17 is pretty crazy! (5700 Claret Place)

Posted by: novakid ()
Date: December 15, 2006 01:37PM

i remember when the guy by Laurel Ridge ES decorated the pick up truck with lights and it ended up in the Fairfax Journal....that was a site!

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: December 16, 2006 10:25AM

My kids' aunt & uncle go all out. They host a holiday open house every year - he puts up 30,000 all-white lights in the yard, and she has multiple trees in every room, all themed (something like twenty trees in the house). I'll try to get some pics when we visit over the holidays.

Posted by: Ryan ()
Date: December 03, 2007 10:39AM

There's a really awesome display every year on collingwood road in alexandria, located between ft hunt road and riverside drive. im pretty sure the guy is a retired engineer, and as he has nothing better to do, he puts up a rad light display.

Gotta be costly on the 'lectric bill.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: December 03, 2007 03:00PM

Posted by: love xmas ()
Date: December 03, 2007 09:15PM

Ryan

You're right, its great.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.