HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Wrangler Soft Tops in Fairfax County
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: November 28, 2006 05:11PM

I was thinking about getting a Wrangler with a soft-top, but I hear stores about people slashing tops which can get expensive. Does anyone in here own one, and is this type of vandalism a problem you have run into in Fairfax? Or does it mostly depend on where it is parked at night?

I debated on putting this in off-topic, but the purpose of the question is to get a sense of whether this is a big problem here, or at least more or less than anywhere else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2006 05:12PM by pgens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrangler Soft Tops in Fairfax County
Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: November 28, 2006 05:27PM

People I know who've had them just leave the doors unlocked so they dont have to cut the roof. You can get a locker type thing installed in the back for relatively cheap and keep any valuables in there.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: November 28, 2006 05:44PM

I would follow the above advice. Might as well leave it open since some criminal will just cut the top to see if anything was left inside. I could be wrong but the price of a top is usually around $1,000 bucks for original equipment. Anyone else know different?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2006 05:46PM by Tim45.

Posted by: *burpgun* ()
Date: November 28, 2006 06:16PM

That sounds like a reasonable measure... The problem is that the crackheads who break into cars don't always check the door to see if it's open. Used to keep my door open for just this reason while living in San Francisco, and still got my window smashed and stereo stolen one night.

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: November 28, 2006 07:10PM

Tim45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would follow the above advice. Might as well
> leave it open since some criminal will just cut
> the top to see if anything was left inside. I
> could be wrong but the price of a top is usually
> around $1,000 bucks for original equipment. Anyone
> else know different?

Make sure to leave a note saying:

"Dear, Criminal

The Doors are Unlocked....feel free to take anything you like.....Just dont fuck up my top, it will cost me around 1k to get it fixed.

Sincerely

The owner of this car"

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: November 28, 2006 07:55PM

A friend of mine owned a Jeep with a soft top. She parked at a bar one night and put her purse under the seat. The purse was gone in about 45 minutes in a Tysons parking lot.

The thief cut the back window and climbed in. I don't think the thief knew it was there until he searched the Jeep.

Date: November 28, 2006 08:48PM

Thanks for the feedback. My neighborhood doesn't see much car vandalism so I'm not really worried about that... maybe I can keep it in the garage. PITA though. I had heard the "leave the doors unlocked" idea from others too. Malls and stuff may be a problem. Maybe if I really want it I just need to figure two or three soft top replacements into the cost.

Another wrangler-related question... I'm looking at getting the new Unlimited, which is a four-door. I have seen them at the dealership but have get to see one in the wild. Are the Jeep Geeks rejecting it, or is it just not a popular vehicle yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2006 08:51PM by pgens.

Posted by: *burpgun* ()
Date: November 28, 2006 09:50PM

Saw one today - it looked like a wannabe Hummer...

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: November 29, 2006 09:51AM

My friend also has a jeep softop, it's never gotten broken into. Because there is nothing to steal. Haha

BTW, they have cameras almost everywhere in Tyson’s. Depending on where you were parked and what position the camera was pointing, you might have them on camera. You should contact security and see if they still have the tapes. The police should have done this if you filed a police report.

Posted by: Buster Hymen ()
Date: November 29, 2006 11:42AM

The 4-door Jeep doesn't look all that bad, but I'd prefer a Land Rover over a Jeep any day.

As the Land Rover bumper sticker goes, "I got your JEEP THING, now it hurts to pee."

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 29, 2006 03:37PM

Jeep soft-tops $500~1500 depending on what type you get. I'd recommend the BesTop brand, pretty easy to install.

As for crime.. my roommate in college replaced his 3 times because people were ripping it apart to steal his car stereo. They even stole the factory one... It finally stopped when he installed a locking center console (type that your radio is installed in) and a decent alarm system.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: November 29, 2006 03:57PM

I like the old style two doors with a soft top and big ass tires. Maybe a tire cover that says "Going Fish'n." I don't think Jeep's should look pretty either, they're made for off road fun. A little mud on the outside adds class to Jeep.

As for the ride, yup, be prepare to be bounced all over the place during normal driving. Kinda like a bucking bronco.

LandRovers are nice and have some really nice features including a great adjustable ride system but $$$. I've never seen a LandRover off road any place.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 29, 2006 04:14PM

My advice to you is buy a VW new beetle from Tysons VW. No wannabe in Tysons corner needs a friggin Jeep! yeah you might have to take those snow encrusted turns in the Mall parking garage, or hey all those pot holes on route 7 might really be an obsticle for you. Get a new beetle and you can put your hankerchief in the Vase to mop your poor sweaty brow if that traffic gets out of hand on the way to the Macy's white sale.

Posted by: ferfux_ ()
Date: November 29, 2006 06:20PM

I have to say eym sorry for tht post... I tend too post really dumb things and i hope evrywon forgivs me.

Date: November 29, 2006 09:04PM

Lurker Wrote:

> As for the ride, yup, be prepare to be bounced all
> over the place during normal driving. Kinda like a
> bucking bronco.

Reviews had the 07's with a better ride than previous years, but no I'm not expecting luxury sedan here.

Posted by: 356 ()
Date: November 30, 2006 11:59AM

If its not an old CJ-7 than is a glorified yuppied wanna be station wagon.
Any clean jeep is probably owned by a fag.

Posted by: ferfux_ ()
Date: November 30, 2006 02:00PM

wld nvr wrt wtht vwls. wht th fck r _ thnkn?

Posted by: jeeper ()
Date: December 18, 2014 06:27PM

Bumped from the server grave yard for no apparent reason...sorry.

Posted by: smalldick ()
Date: December 19, 2014 10:41AM

Yes, that happens.
But your bigger problem is that when you buy an SUV all the ladies are going to laugh at you because they will know you have a teenie weenie.

Posted by: huhh? ()
Date: December 19, 2014 05:53PM

It's a jeep you twat, that's not an "SUV". It's a fuckin' jeep. Ain't the same bruh.

Posted by: Discovery de Dulles ()
Date: December 19, 2014 08:35PM

jeeper Wrote:
> Bumped from the server grave yard for no apparent
> reason...sorry.

But, we all know th reason for the bumper crop.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.