HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Was eminent domain used by MetroWest?
Posted by: mu7 ()
Date: October 08, 2017 03:21PM

There used to be about 65 single family homes immediately south of the Vienna metro station, next to the Circle Woods townhome community. They were still standing about 2006 or so before they were torn down for the still incomplete MetroWest project.

Curious if the owners were forced out and whether eminent domain was used. Can't find anything in the news archives. Figure this was a big deal at the time and wonder what our local politicians did about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Was eminent domain used by MetroWest?
Posted by: causeican ()
Date: October 08, 2017 05:53PM

That’s what it looks like.
Attachments:
vienna metro west 2.png
vienna metro west 2007.png

Date: October 08, 2017 06:15PM

just for kicks, here it is in 1980
Attachments:
1980 vienna metro future site.png

Posted by: ... ()
Date: October 08, 2017 06:48PM

I'm not sure, but I know that the neighborhood nearby (I think the houses to the left in that picture) was going to have the same thing happen to it. A lot of people were eager to sell their homes to the developer but too many people weren't on board so it didn't happen.

Posted by: blahhahaha ()
Date: October 08, 2017 08:57PM

I think I remember going in there about the time of the 2007 aerial photo. All the houses had been torn down save for 2-3, some had huge "keep off my property" signs and seemed to be holding out for something.

I can imagine there was bitterness over this on the part of those who had to sell/move.

Posted by: the count ()
Date: October 08, 2017 09:14PM

Will the same thing happen everywhere in FFX county? Who's going to stop growth for the sake of growth?

Posted by: nyxp7 ()
Date: October 08, 2017 09:15PM

In the past developers would make above market purchase offers contingent upon the entire neighborhood selling out in a block. If one neighbor held out the developer could rely on the rest to pressure the hold out to sell. By the early 2000s some had switched to simply making market offers for older, well located neighborhoods, but getting local politicians to lean on neighbors to sell. I know of one unsuccessful attempt in 2003. I have not heard of any neighborhood wide eminent domain threats, but would not rule out them doing it for a few holdouts.

Date: October 09, 2017 07:51AM

It is criminal to wipe out neighborhoods for private interest development.
1953 image:
Attachments:
1953 future Vienna Metro West .png

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: October 09, 2017 08:24AM

I'm vaguely remembering that the neighborhood was sold to developers by the home owners for "big" bucks -- whatever that is when you have to move, leave a place you love.

If it had been eminent domain "Mr. Blanche" -- the constitutionalist -- would have been in an uproar, and I know that didn't happen.

Date: October 11, 2017 12:08AM

what was the name of the street? anyone know?

Posted by: Farmer11 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 07:28AM

Fairlee Drive and Maple Avenue.

A cool article from Wapo back in 1985. Sounds like there was pressure even then.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/realestate/1985/07/27/fairlee-residents-working-to-sell-homes-as-group/f092f220-ded4-43f5-b1b0-728c4f7145ca/?utm_term=.ee71cca50d05

Good thing they mowed down all those houses and trees for some cookie cutter townhomes/condos and an empty field for the crows to hang out.

Posted by: Aasdf ()
Date: October 12, 2017 11:26AM

Farmer11 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fairlee Drive and Maple Avenue.
>
> A cool article from Wapo back in 1985. Sounds
> like there was pressure even then.
>
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/realestate/
> 1985/07/27/fairlee-residents-working-to-sell-homes
> -as-group/f092f220-ded4-43f5-b1b0-728c4f7145ca/?ut
> m_term=.ee71cca50d05
>
> Good thing they mowed down all those houses and
> trees for some cookie cutter townhomes/condos and
> an empty field for the crows to hang out.

Great article. Thanks for posting. Sucks to have been one of he owners not interested in selling. Wonder what the Church of God ended up doing.

Posted by: 3qw4t ()
Date: October 12, 2017 03:36PM

I knew several families that lived in that neighborhood - no eminent domain whatsoever. It took a while to get rid of the last two or three residents who were determined to hold out for close to $1 million, but they ended up in the $500k range or so. Most of the homeowners got in the $300k to $350k range if memory serves. It was kinda eerie driving down those streets after everyone was out save for the couple houses. The rest of the place stood vacant for years before demolition occurred. I think the original buyer flipped the property to Pulte when the rezoning process dragged on.

Date: October 14, 2017 09:38PM

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: October 16, 2017 02:38PM

And wasn't that property supposed to have more density but former Rep. Tom Davis put a stop to that?

"Lawmaker Steps In on Va. Growth - April 21, 2005"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6031-2005Apr20.html

"Metro Postpones Vienna Land Sale - October 21, 2005"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/20/AR2005102002106.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2017 02:39PM by Joke Insurance.

Posted by: FairfaxFool ()
Date: March 24, 2018 11:27PM

I used to own a house not to far from Metrowest. Was a big proponent of the development through the zoning process and ultimate Board Approval. Mixed-used was promised - as you can tell it never came to fruition. I feel bad for all those people who bought town homes with the promise of a future town center. PUlte came in built residential and Clark was supposed to be in charge of the retail. Clark couldn't find an anchor tenant for he zoned Grocery Store and that has held up the retail/office portion of the development for over 8 years (the 2008 market recession was also a factor). The irony of it all - when the project was being zoned/approved a critical issue was the reduction of vehicular traffic. the County and social groups such as Coalition for Smart Growth were adamant about keeping the volume of cars low. Years later, when asked why Clark was having such a hard time finding an anchor tenant - the lack of vehicular traffic and difficult access from major arteries was pointed as the most critical issue. What a mess.

Posted by: Same in Herndon ()
Date: March 25, 2018 12:14AM

FairfaxFool Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used to own a house not to far from Metrowest.
> Was a big proponent of the development through the
> zoning process and ultimate Board Approval.
> Mixed-used was promised - as you can tell it never
> came to fruition. I feel bad for all those people
> who bought town homes with the promise of a future
> town center. PUlte came in built residential and
> Clark was supposed to be in charge of the retail.
> Clark couldn't find an anchor tenant for he zoned
> Grocery Store and that has held up the
> retail/office portion of the development for over
> 8 years (the 2008 market recession was also a
> factor). The irony of it all - when the project
> was being zoned/approved a critical issue was the
> reduction of vehicular traffic. the County and
> social groups such as Coalition for Smart Growth
> were adamant about keeping the volume of cars low.
> Years later, when asked why Clark was having such
> a hard time finding an anchor tenant - the lack of
> vehicular traffic and difficult access from major
> arteries was pointed as the most critical issue.
> What a mess.

The complex built south of Mclearen and west of Centreville was supposed to be mixed-use, but they also can't find tenants, and last I heard had applied for zoning change. Don't get me started.

Posted by: Careful who you trust ()
Date: March 25, 2018 08:24AM

The mixed-use aspects of MetroWest have so far fallen short because -- whether residents or office workers -- there simply have not been enough day-time customers around to support retail. Surveys meanwhile showed that with Pan Am just down the road, few people were likely to come from surrounding areas. Without retail of course, it's hard to attract business tenants, so it's all a negative feedback loop.

Personally, I blame Pulte for adopting the clear-cut, "prison barracks" model of development with little to no landscaping ever put back in place. Bad job all the way around. Meanwhile, a couple of miles away, the contemporary Mosaic District project has been a thriving success. Go figure.

Posted by: Tale of the tape ()
Date: March 25, 2018 10:06AM

Like Midgetville, the Fairlee neighborhood was doomed the moment the Vienna Metro station opened in 1986. Property values were such that maintaining any sort of low-density, non-developed parcel was simply not in the cards.

Posted by: Remember those days ()
Date: March 25, 2018 12:26PM

Perhaps, but County officials greased the skids by letting developers know they did not intend to maintain low density. Low density housing does coexist with Metro, East Falls Church for example. However County officials saw the arrival of Metro near Vienna as an opportunity to create a new high density area, much as they are currently hoping to do when/if Metro is extended to Route 1.

Posted by: make pan am great again ()
Date: March 25, 2018 01:09PM

Just put more luxury condos there and make Pan Am nice like Mosaic. You're just going to have to drive sorry, unless it's nice out and you feel like playing frogger. Though a walk way over 29 and Nutley diagonally would take care of that problem.

Posted by: Guess what ()
Date: March 25, 2018 01:19PM

There are no big-time roads between Metro West and the train station.

Posted by: Petri ()
Date: March 25, 2018 01:58PM

Those homes are being removed to make way for a public housing complex.
Last I heard several 12 story buildings are going up to house those in need of housing. Fairfax county administrators are showing the love from Fairfax County Taxpayers by providing over 8 thousand low income homes in that area.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.