HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
roto rooter is a rip off
Posted by: mad ()
Date: November 09, 2009 09:16PM

Roto Rooter charges me a labor charge of 750.00 for 90 minutes of work . They told me it was for 2 hours but 30 minute s was spent in the truck make my phone bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: roto rooter is a rip off
Posted by: yep ()
Date: November 09, 2009 11:36PM

They're kind of infamous with professional plumbers for fucking up everything they do.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: November 10, 2009 01:11AM

mad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roto Rooter charges me a labor charge of 750.00
> for 90 minutes of work . They told me it was for 2
> hours but 30 minute s was spent in the truck make
> my phone bill

Were they vatos by any chance?

Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: November 10, 2009 04:35AM

Thanks for the heads up. I've never been charged more than $150/hour by a plumber (starting the clock when they leave the workplace).

I guess everyone is hurting and trying to make a buck where they can. Last week, Lowes quoted nearly $1,200 (labor only) to install a single entrance door and patio slider. Fortunately for me, I got the quote BEFORE and declined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2009 05:24AM by RestonLass.

Posted by: Greg Philbin ()
Date: November 10, 2009 09:24AM

This is an example of the strength that trademarks and advertising have over the lazy and stupid.

Most of the time, reputations follow trademarks, like McDonalds. So many people go to McDonalds that if they were to institutionally f-up, they'd been done for. For other products and services that are not ubiquitous or often used, advertising causes lazy people to think, when they have a plumbing problem in this case, "Roto-Rooter."

Best course is to check with a verifiable source like Washington Consumers' Checkbook Magazine (available online) or Angie's list, where a person can read dozens/hundreds of posts by recent users.

I found Butler Plumbing there. The guy is a "master plumber," and used him to relocate the supply and drain lines (and roof vent) necessary to move a washer/dryer to a different location in my house.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: November 10, 2009 10:12AM

Rule of thumb: The bigger the Yellow Pages ad or the more TV/radio ads...the more you're going to get fucked.

Horseshit like the "man on the back of the truck" costs a lot of money.

The best tradesmen don't advertise at all....word-of-mouth gets them all the work they can handle!

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: November 10, 2009 12:07PM

tubby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Horseshit like the "man on the back of the truck"
> costs a lot of money.

I see this jackass all over the place

Posted by: canderson-2 ()
Date: November 11, 2009 09:51AM

I'm convinced most businesses they judge the "buyer" and price accordingly with the timid, jerks, asian girls, elderly, etc being on the most abused end. Two examples I learned:

Craven (Mr Tire) gave me $700 list of things wrong with a Toyota during last oil change. But they had done most of those fixes and maintenance the time before. So once they were told and saw it on their computer, the work was not necessary. They explained that they didn't actually see the problem but that they judged the car to need the work based on mileage.

Forgot the key in apartment and the door closed. The locksmith guy spend some time trying to get in and then had to replace it all. It took more than an hour and cost right under $300. Later the neighbor shows how you can get in in 5 seconds flat using a thick piece of paper, like those 20% off Bed Bath & Beyond. That only works if you do not lock it by turning the key.

Posted by: Ron Burgundy ()
Date: November 11, 2009 10:36AM

They definitely charge more then other plumbers. They claim it's because they guarantee their work.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.