HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Visitor Parking Laws
Posted by: Resident ()
Date: November 25, 2006 01:54PM

The place i stay only has 2 spots to park. But there are more than 2 people living here. Therefore, somebody has to park in visitor, which is 50 steps away.

I was wondering is it against the law/will you get towed if you park in visitor for months on end?

What if you park in the same spot everyday after you come home from work and on weekends?

What if you switch spots but you park in visitor everyday and on the weekends?

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Visitor Parking Laws
Posted by: bottomdweller ()
Date: November 25, 2006 02:19PM

I believe it depends on if your name is on the lease

That would determine whether or not you are a visitor.

Date: November 25, 2006 02:20PM

I forgot to mention that
My name is not on the lease its my girls place

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: November 25, 2006 02:47PM

There is no State or County law that governs "visitors spots." The covenant of the homeowners association that the owner signed determines visitor spot use.

In general, the homeowners\condo association can do what ever the feel like with guest or visitor spots. They can make guest spots 10 minutes\towing enforced if they want.

My suggestions:

1)Trick one of your roommates into giving up one of the parking permits. Or rotate them. Roommates with assigned spots pay more.

2)If decals - I’m also betting that using a scanner and a color printer might help. I doubt they verify all the decal numbers, they probably glance quickly to see if the decal looks real.

3)If assigned spots - Paint yourself an extra reserve spot and keep quiet about it. I doubt anybody will notice the new spot if you do it right.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: November 25, 2006 04:24PM

My condo association has a two car per unit limit. I personally wouldn't mind if someone in my building had an extra car because we are lucky to have plenty of parking. But most of the buildings have very limited parking and rely on reserved spots (with very few guest spots). I think that permanently using a guest spot under those circumstances is just plain rude. And yes, I think that my condo association would do something about it because other residents would complain.

Plus, it sounds like the management/landlord doesn't know you are living there. Therefore, your girlfriend is probably breaking the terms of her lease. Parking shouldn't be your only concern right now.

Posted by: Former HOA President ()
Date: November 25, 2006 04:32PM

Jester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is no State or County law that governs
> "visitors spots." The covenant of the homeowners
> association that the owner signed determines
> visitor spot use.
>
> In general, the homeowners\condo association can
> do what ever the feel like with guest or visitor
> spots. They can make guest spots 10
> minutes\towing enforced if they want.
>
> My suggestions:
>
> 1)Trick one of your roommates into giving up one
> of the parking permits. Or rotate them.
> Roommates with assigned spots pay more.
>
> 2)If decals - I’m also betting that using a
> scanner and a color printer might help. I doubt
> they verify all the decal numbers, they probably
> glance quickly to see if the decal looks real.
>
> 3)If assigned spots - Paint yourself an extra
> reserve spot and keep quiet about it. I doubt
> anybody will notice the new spot if you do it
> right.

You are exactly right but let me clarify a few points. Generally visitor and unreserved parking spaces are the same thing in HOA neighborhoods unless specifically noted that they are not. For example "10 minute parking only". Also, HOA communitys can be very concerned about the long term storage of vehicle on their lots. We actually had a used car dealer using our lots for storage of his trade ins. So look at the covenants. If the car is parked in a unreserved spot for 10 days or two weeks without being moved, it can be towed if those are the rules. Mine has this rule. Also, if the vehicle is not road worthy i.e expired plates or stickers, missing critical parts, flat tire, broken window etc it can be towed immediately. Please check with your HOA. Parking is at a premium in most HOA communitys and quite frankly, most homeowners get sick and tired of unknown cars taking up unreserved spaces and just sitting there.

Date: November 25, 2006 04:43PM

Go to Fairfaxcount.gov and check their excellant Homeoners Association Manuel>>>

Towing From Private Property: - The Code of Fairfax County, Section 82-5-32, provides
for the towing and storage of vehicles unlawfully parked and/or parked in violation of
association rules and regulations on association property. Any such vehicle may be
towed to a storage site, provided that the following conditions are met:
• the owner (or agent) must erect and maintain permanent sign(s) conspicuously
posted at all entrances to the property, that notify anyone driving a vehicle onto
the property that parking restrictions (thereon) are enforced by towing. The
sign(s) must state or reasonably indicate i) “private property,” ii) “reserved
parking,” “permits required,” or other parking restriction message; iii) that a
parking violation may result in towing; and iv) the words (entire phrase) “If
towed, call (703) 691-2131” (or, in Herndon and Vienna, the appropriate police
number).
• the association or its management agent must either expressly phone request the
tow of a particular vehicle and sign a tow authorization slip (emphasis added), or
have a contract or written agreement with a towing company.
• the tow operator must notify the Public Safety Communications Center to report
the tow. (If a vehicle is removed from a location within the Towns of Herndon or
Vienna, the towing operator must notify the police in that jurisdiction).
The towing of a private vehicle is an offensive, inconvenient and costly penalty
for the owner, and should be considered and employed by the association only as a last
resort. An association can expressly authorize the towing of a particular vehicle on a
case-by-case basis. This method requires that the initial phone request be confirmed by
the caller’s signature before the vehicle leaves the property. This can be inconvenient
and time consuming for the manager or individual resident, and may lead to confrontation
with the vehicle owner. Unless specifically limited in writing, a towing contract gives
unilateral authority to the tow truck operator to decide if a vehicle is abandoned,
trespassing, improperly parked, or otherwise in violation of the rules without any other
authorization or concurrence from the association. Further, towing of the vehicle itself
removes all evidence of the alleged parking violation and reduces the situation to an
argumentative “he said/she said” confrontation between the owner and the tow operator.
To minimize these problems and encourage compliance, associations should
publish the adopted parking rules and regulations, and regularly remind its members (via
newsletter or flyer) that the rules are enforced by towing. Similarly, associations should
include the applicable parking rules and regulations along with prudent limitations and
Click here to return to Table of Contents
restrictions in the towing contract as guidance for the tow operators. Some associations
restrict towing to certain hours, or to certain parking offenses, or require the tow operator
to provide photo(s) of the parking offense, or otherwise limit the towing activity to the
absolute minimum necessary. An association’s parking rules and regulations can also be
effectively enforced by “booting” which preserves the violation evidence without the
inconvenience and cost of towing, or frequent damage to the vehicle. The County
ordinance allows a maximum charge of $25 for the removal of a boot. This charge
accrues to the association if its management agent does the booting.

Date: November 25, 2006 04:52PM

Ask the chick to get the parking regulations from her landlord. If the landlord does not reply in a reasonable amount of time, you may have a case against the landlord if towed. Also, DO NOT use the lots for long term storage of the vehicle unless it is in a reserved spot. This really upsets residents. Grow up, get a place of your own and store your vehicle there. When you say "I was wondering is it against the law/will you get towed if you park in visitor for months on end?" I imagine you are a slacker with a motive to store your vehicle where you do not live. I remember one case where a residents daughter parked a vehicle without a sterring wheel on our lot. When it was towed the resident complained and said her daughters community had rules against parking a inoperable vehicle on their lots. I said "and we dont???"

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: November 25, 2006 05:43PM

Resident Wrote:
> The place i stay only has 2 spots to park. But
> there are more than 2 people living here.
> Therefore, somebody has to park in visitor, which
> is 50 steps away.
>
> I was wondering is it against the law/will you get
> towed if you park in visitor for months on end?
>
>
> What if you park in the same spot everyday after
> you come home from work and on weekends?
>
>
> What if you switch spots but you park in visitor
> everyday and on the weekends?
>
> Thanks in advance

I'll give you some advice. In this region if there is any chance whatsoever you will be ticketed or towed...you will be.

I would figure out a longer term alternative to what you are doing now. You might be able to skate for a while, but once you are ticketed or towed, they will be on your ass night and day after that.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: November 25, 2006 06:10PM

Put $75 in a jar for towing expense and park there with the expectation that you we be towed every now and then. Think of the $75 as a monthly parking fee.

Posted by: burpgun ()
Date: November 25, 2006 06:15PM

Dude, you say you live in the development but park in a visitor's spot. So it's evidently clear to you that you're in the wrong... But instead of accepting responsibility and parking somewhere else, you solicit the brilliant legal minds of the FFX Underground to find you a loophole. Kind of indicative of the overall state of contemporary social consciousness (sadly exasperated by the existence of multiple languages creating a further breakdown of civil harmony). Soon none of us will feel a responsibility to the community at all and won't be able to step outside of our doors without the advice of counsel...

Date: November 25, 2006 06:18PM

Former HOA President Wrote:
> Ask the chick to get the parking regulations from
> her landlord. If the landlord does not reply in a
> reasonable amount of time, you may have a case
> against the landlord if towed. Also, DO NOT use
> the lots for long term storage of the vehicle
> unless it is in a reserved spot. This really
> upsets residents. Grow up, get a place of your own
> and store your vehicle there. When you say "I was
> wondering is it against the law/will you get towed
> if you park in visitor for months on end?" I
> imagine you are a slacker with a motive to store
> your vehicle where you do not live. I remember one
> case where a residents daughter parked a vehicle
> without a sterring wheel on our lot. When it was
> towed the resident complained and said her
> daughters community had rules against parking a
> inoperable vehicle on their lots. I said "and we
> dont???"

You misunderstood me. Almost all of you.

I have been staying here pretty much everyday of the week, for months. I park in visitor but not the same spot. Will I get towed since I am always seen in visitor but I am changing spots daily?

Posted by: resident ()
Date: November 25, 2006 06:20PM

I am not on lease agreement
I do not pay rent
I stay here temporarily from time to time
I am a visitor

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: November 25, 2006 06:48PM

HOA's can pretty much do whatever they please. Not being a jerk just telling the truth.
Like someone said if there is the slightest chance you can be towed you will be. The tow truck drivers just go around in the middle of the night looking. Every towed car is a bonus on their check. Even if you are in the right they still have your car and wont let it go without the cash up front.

Date: November 25, 2006 08:16PM

resident Wrote:
> I stay here temporarily from time to time
> I am a visitor

Yet you post under the name "resident" and are worried about being caught for abusing the visitor space. I call bullshit.

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: November 25, 2006 08:53PM

Just park there, Make a few fake license plates.......Get those alarm systems taht goes off when your car is touched......When you see it go off run out, beat the living shit outa the towing dude and call it a day.....make sure to take his keys and park your car in a different parking spot with the spare license plate you made.....

But no you are a visitor....visitors have like 24 hour parking unless it is labeled that you need a permit .....If it says visitor, your fine...just park it...

Date: November 25, 2006 09:52PM

Genevieve Wrote:
> resident Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I stay here temporarily from time to time
> > I am a visitor
>
>
> Yet you post under the name "resident" and are
> worried about being caught for abusing the visitor
> space. I call bullshit.

dont matter what you call
cause nothing can be proven since my name is on no lease
therefore I am a visitor with resident concerns

Date: November 25, 2006 10:01PM

Resident Wrote:
> is 50 steps away.
>
> I was wondering is it against the law/will you get
> towed if you park in visitor for months on end?
>
>
> What if you park in the same spot everyday after
> you come home from work and on weekends?
>
>
> What if you switch spots but you park in visitor
> everyday and on the weekends?
>
> Thanks in advance

If we all mis-understood you then maybe you didn't explain it correctly... Our
bad.

Maybe it might be easier if somebody picked you up and took you back. How about using the Fairfax Connector buses?

Date: November 25, 2006 10:05PM

Resident Wrote:
> Former HOA President Wrote:
> -----
> > Ask the chick to get the parking regulations
> from
> > her landlord. If the landlord does not reply in
> a
> > reasonable amount of time, you may have a case
> > against the landlord if towed. Also, DO NOT use
> > the lots for long term storage of the vehicle
> > unless it is in a reserved spot. This really
> > upsets residents. Grow up, get a place of your
> own
> > and store your vehicle there. When you say "I
> was
> > wondering is it against the law/will you get
> towed
> > if you park in visitor for months on end?" I
> > imagine you are a slacker with a motive to
> store
> > your vehicle where you do not live. I remember
> one
> > case where a residents daughter parked a
> vehicle
> > without a sterring wheel on our lot. When it
> was
> > towed the resident complained and said her
> > daughters community had rules against parking a
> > inoperable vehicle on their lots. I said "and
> we
> > dont???"
>
> You misunderstood me. Almost all of you.
>
> I have been staying here pretty much everyday of
> the week, for months. I park in visitor but not
> the same spot. Will I get towed since I am always
> seen in visitor but I am changing spots daily?

YES

Date: November 25, 2006 10:22PM

The place i stay only has 2 spots to park. But there are more than 2 people living here. Therefore, somebody has to park in visitor, which is 50 steps away.

It doesn't matter whether your name is on the lease or not; you have admitted to living in the apartment. I'm sure that your landlord could prove "noncompliance with rental agreement" if he/she wanted to.

Date: November 25, 2006 10:25PM

One trick I "heard" about is when a vehicle was possibly abandoned or being stored on the lot, the HOA President "noticed" a window was broken "somehow". Glass was spread around and the vehicle was a hazzard and dangerous. So the HOA had a legitimate reason to tow it. When the "visitor" complained to the HOA Board, he was told the vehicle was a danger to the community and to call his insurance company because they would be happy to pay the towing and storage fee because they would not want a kid to get hurt with the broken glass. His response was that his insurance does not cover this. BS. He had no insurance. He gave them a song and dance that his insurance company was GMAC and it was in his brothers name who lived thirty miles away but was in South America for the past three months and would not be home for BS BS BS BS.

His request that HOA fix his vehicle and pay his towing and storage fee (the vehicle had been on the impound lot 16 days before he noticed it was missing), was surprisingly denied.

Date: November 25, 2006 10:28PM

Genevieve Wrote:
> is 50 steps away.
>
> It doesn't matter whether your name is on the
> lease or not; you have admitted to living in the
> apartment. I'm sure that your landlord could
> prove "noncompliance with rental agreement" if
> he/she wanted to.

And what is the reason you will not call the landlord and/or the HOA to get a copy of the parking regulations?

You better hope you are not shacking up in my neighborhood because I will tow you.

Date: November 25, 2006 10:50PM

Maximum allowable hookup and initial towing fee for trespass tows is increased from $85 to $125 (unless local ordinance sets a different limit) and the amount of additional fees for late night, weekend, and holiday tows is raised from $10 to $25, not to exceed $50.

Posted by: burpgun ()
Date: November 25, 2006 11:23PM

At best you're attempting to circumvent the rules of the HOA and in turn of society's expectations on its citizens to behave towards one another in good faith - POS in my book...

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: November 26, 2006 12:03AM

If I were a resident in your girlfriend's complex and saw your car bouncing around the visitor spots, you can bet your ass I would call a tow truck on your ass. All you need is a prick like me to get your car towed. Believe me, there are lots like me out there.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: November 26, 2006 02:55AM

Resident.....it's simple. Get your GED and try to get into a jobs program that will allow you to afford your own home.

I'll boink your girlfriend while you're gone.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 26, 2006 03:13AM

I don't think there's enough flour in all of NOVA to allow you to boink his gf, duh.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 26, 2006 08:15AM

Dear Resident,
   if you simply parked there until you got caught or whatever, i would say you were stupid. however, you have played this up to the point where you are asking for advice how to further abuse the system and outright admit and then deny that you are living there. you sir, are an asshole. however, you have the chance to redeem yourself by just paying the few extra bucks to pay for some extra parking. i dont think there is a chance in hell you will do this but it's still an option. i hope she breaks up with you then you flipout and kill her.

best friends forever,
Gravis

Date: November 26, 2006 08:38AM

I can see "resident" saying now:

"Waaaah waaaah waah. All I want to do is store my car on a lot that other people paid for. I want to take the good parking spots from homeowners and legitimate renters and not have to worry about it. I do not want to call the HOA or landlord and ask about parking regulations because I do not want them to know I am living here and/or thinking my girlfriend is a slut because I stay over too much. Waah waah waah"

For once in your life, be a man Find out who the landlord is and call him/her and ask the question. You might be surprised at how cooperating they are. Then again, he may terminate your chicks lease. But even then, she could move into you place, in the basement of your mom's place. I sure your parents will not mind. Ask your mother what the parking regulations are at her place.

Call the landlord you slacker. Find out who the HOA Board is and ask them. Make sure you tell the HOA that you tried to contact the landlord first and he/she was unresponsive to your parking and general rules and regulations of the community questions. HOA Boards love to hear those kind of stories. It makes their volunteer time on the Board that much more rewarding.

Hey greatidea. Save your money, buy a house in the neighborhood and join the HOA Board. Then at the meetings bring up the fact that you think towing is wrong and there should be free unrestricted parking in th neighborhood for all! I know a used car dealer who would love to store his vehicles for free in your neighborhood.

Date: November 26, 2006 09:12AM

As long as there are old people there will be someone to call you on parking without a permit.

Date: November 26, 2006 03:24PM

Tim45 Wrote:
> As long as there are old people there will be
> someone to call you on parking without a permit.

hmm... this other thread is beginning to make sense.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: November 26, 2006 05:12PM

Jester Wrote:
> Resident Wrote:
> -----
> > Former HOA President Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Ask the chick to get the parking regulations
> > from
> > > her landlord. If the landlord does not reply
> in
> > a
> > > reasonable amount of time, you may have a
> case
> > > against the landlord if towed. Also, DO NOT
> use
> > > the lots for long term storage of the vehicle
> > > unless it is in a reserved spot. This really
> > > upsets residents. Grow up, get a place of
> your
> > own
> > > and store your vehicle there. When you say "I
> > was
> > > wondering is it against the law/will you get
> > towed
> > > if you park in visitor for months on end?" I
> > > imagine you are a slacker with a motive to
> > store
> > > your vehicle where you do not live. I
> remember
> > one
> > > case where a residents daughter parked a
> > vehicle
> > > without a sterring wheel on our lot. When it
> > was
> > > towed the resident complained and said her
> > > daughters community had rules against parking
> a
> > > inoperable vehicle on their lots. I said "and
> > we
> > > dont???"
> >
> > You misunderstood me. Almost all of you.
> >
> > I have been staying here pretty much everyday
> of
> > the week, for months. I park in visitor but not
> > the same spot. Will I get towed since I am
> always
> > seen in visitor but I am changing spots daily?
>
> YES

So you are saying that it is Okay for the HOA to tow a vehicle which visits frequently? What is the purpose of a visitor spot then?

Posted by: Jestert ()
Date: November 26, 2006 07:07PM

You said, " I have been staying here pretty much everyday of the week, for months. I park in visitor but not the same spot."

I would expect the HOA to put a warning letter on your car first, then on your second offense it would be towed.

What complex are you parking in? Maybe somebody here knows if that complex is strict or could care less. They might even be able to offer alternate parking ideas.

Date: November 26, 2006 08:26PM

Off Wellington Rd. Its on Witch Hazel

Posted by: UR a fucking faggot ()
Date: November 26, 2006 08:51PM

I hate you, don't be so cheap as to not buy a parking pass and park in a visitors spot. I can't ever find a visitors spot when visiting friends at numerous complex's and it's really gay to get towed.

Date: November 26, 2006 09:09PM

While it is a judgement call, our neighborhoods has stickers to identify legitimately parked vehicles. Vehicles that do not have a sticker who continually park ino our neighborhood - especially the ones taking the BEST visitor parking spaces will be given a warning and told to get a sticker. When renters say they were unaware of the rules, we say contact your landlord. I always get the same response "I do not know who that is". So the landlord probably does not know who you are either, huh.

If a vehicle has any other issue: expired tags or stickers, flat tire, "broken window", missing critical parts, no front plates when needed etc it gets towed right away.

The warning usually taks care of things. Remember, until we got tough, a used car dealer was using our gated, well lighted convienant to major highways lot to store his vehicles. We had over 17 cars of his on our lot once. We got tough and will remain tough. We have to be.

Date: November 27, 2006 01:45AM

so with thanks to our favorite poster of this thread i have located where he is and a few notes.
so... if you see some dumbass parking in the vistor spots day in and day out, please feel free to key the fuck out of his car.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: 356 ()
Date: November 27, 2006 09:39AM

Perhaps you should go live in a van, down by the river.

Date: November 27, 2006 09:47AM

Date: November 27, 2006 10:11AM

Oh Manassas... Not sure what the rules are there or if they even have tow trucks that work.

Manassas is its own Country. From what I've seen you can park in somebodies front yard there and nobody would care.

I drove through Manassas about a week ago and noticed there is store with a huge sign that says "Records." Just a little tip, I hear CD's and DVD's sell better.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 27, 2006 10:17AM

No, Jester, that's the Manassas Hall Of Records. The town is so podunk it has to locate it in a trashy storefront.

Posted by: brian703 ()
Date: November 27, 2006 12:13PM

My understanding is that tow trucks cannot tow unless someone from the HOA is present to sign off on it. I believe that is a state law.

So no longer can tow truck drivers creep around in the middle of the night looking for cars to tow from townhouse communities.

Now they are limited to putting a big orange warning sticker on the car. I guess if you ignore that for long enough, it will eventually be towed.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: November 27, 2006 12:15PM

By the way, Manassas is a city, not a town, you ignorant jackass.

Date: November 27, 2006 01:02PM

... Wrote:
> By the way, Manassas is a city

I dare you to say that in Manassas. They would run you over with a jacked up pickup!

Date: November 27, 2006 01:03PM

The only jacked-up pickups I've seen lately have been in, say, Stafford..

Posted by: although.. ()
Date: November 27, 2006 01:10PM

I did see a Hispanic about 4 years ago who was pleased to demonstrate his hyrdos on his pickup truck.

That was on Duke St. in Alexandria. To this day I wonder how many sheets of drywall he had to hang to get hooked up with that shit..

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: November 27, 2006 01:21PM

Lurker Wrote:
> ... Wrote:
> -----
> > By the way, Manassas is a city
>
> I dare you to say that in Manassas. They would run
> you over with a jacked up pickup!

You would need to say it like this: "A propósito, Manassas es una ciudad." Otherwise they will just look at you in puzzlement, waiting for you to say "¿Cualquiera aquí buscando el trabajo?"

Date: November 27, 2006 02:09PM

Gravis Wrote:
> so with thanks to our favorite poster of this
> thread i have located where he is and a few
> notes.
> this is the location he is talking about -
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=9330+Witch
> +Hazel+Way,+Manassas,+VA+20110&ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=38.
> 74395,-77.480682&spn=0.00441,0.010815&om=1
>
> this is an arial view of the area as clouds are
> blocking google's images -
> http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=38.743912&lon=-77.4
> 8175&z=17.9&r=0&src=yh
>
> he appears to be one cheap ass motherfucker as
> these are very nice and very expensive townhouses.
> here's one on the same street that is for sale. -
> http://homes.longandfoster.com/Real-Estate/Propert
> yBrochure.aspx?MlsCompanyID=2&MlsNumber=MN5492764
> so... if you see some dumbass parking in the
> vistor spots day in and day out, please feel free
> to key the fuck out of his car.

Gravis: I bet you busted a nut after you google mapd the location i provided. damn your a genius. First of all, this is manassas, the quote "nice as fuck" does not exist here. This is northern virginia not NOVA, please see other thread.

The area is sweltering with drug deals and chents

Date: November 27, 2006 02:31PM

Yea, it's right near Georgetown South.

That, along with Irongate, are the two major slums in the Manassas area.

Date: November 27, 2006 02:46PM

Resident Wrote:

> damn your a genius.

That is just too funny.

Posted by: 356 ()
Date: November 27, 2006 02:48PM

There is talk about incrporating Dumfries with Manassas creating what will be known as "Dumbasses"

Date: November 27, 2006 03:19PM

... Wrote:
> Yea, it's right near Georgetown South.
>
> That, along with Irongate, are the two major slums
> in the Manassas area.

Near the confederate cementary?

Is it near a used car lot?

Is there an all night check cashing place close by?

LOL

Date: November 27, 2006 05:01PM

"Near the confederate cementary?"

Hmm, you know, I do believe the Mason-Dixon line is well north of Northern Virginia, despite what you may want to believe..

"Is it near a used car lot?"

Eastern Motors has a Herndon and Arlington location too!

"Is there an all night check cashing place close by?"

I don't believe there's any shortage of those anywhere in Northern Virginia.

Date: November 27, 2006 08:14PM

Resident Wrote:
> damn your a genius.

lol!

file.php?2,file=70

Date: November 27, 2006 08:19PM

Jester Wrote:
> Oh Manassas... Not sure what the rules are there
> or if they even have tow trucks that work.
>
> Manassas is its own Country. From what I've seen
> you can park in somebodies front yard there and
> nobody would care.
>
> I drove through Manassas about a week ago and
> noticed there is store with a huge sign that says
> "Records." Just a little tip, I hear CD's and
> DVD's sell better.

The modern crap may "sell better", but in my opinion the ONLY way to listen to recorded music in on vinyl through an electron tube powered audio system.

CDs and transistors=tinny sound

BTW, where is this place? I thought I knew ALL the vinyl dealers around here. Although I have about 75,000 records in my collection....you can NEVER have too many records!

Date: November 27, 2006 08:26PM

Screw that. 8-tracks all the way for me, man.

Date: November 27, 2006 08:34PM

... Wrote:
> Screw that. 8-tracks all the way for me, man.

I have a couple thousand of them too! I even re-record and replace the tape in them...mylar doesn't last forever, you know! I have LOTS of 8-track players and parts. If you ever need anything...just holler.

Date: November 27, 2006 08:56PM

brian703 Wrote:
> My understanding is that tow trucks cannot tow
> unless someone from the HOA is present to sign off
> on it. I believe that is a state law.
>
> So no longer can tow truck drivers creep around in
> the middle of the night looking for cars to tow
> from townhouse communities.
>
> Now they are limited to putting a big orange
> warning sticker on the car. I guess if you ignore
> that for long enough, it will eventually be towed.

Attention, Mis Information Mis Information Mis Information Mis Information

Read the previous post you moron and "speak from knowledge" not guessing.

From the Fairfax County Homeowners Association Manuel (stated earlier)

• the association or its management agent must either expressly phone request the
tow of a particular vehicle and sign a tow authorization slip (emphasis added), or
have a contract or written agreement with a towing company.

Any HOA worth their salt will have a written agreement with a towing company.. The reason HOAs have such an agreement is to protect the HOA volunteers from confronting assholes who make seek revenge after their car is towed.

Simply put, the HOA has a contract with the towing company. The contract states what vehicles and for what reason the vehicles can be towed. The HOA may call the towing company for a tow, but the tow truck driver will "find" the vehicle parked in violation of the rules and tow it. No one needs to be present.

If someone parks in your reserved space, many HOAs and towing companys require the person who calls to be present, identify the vehicle, and sign something. The tow operator will then take a picture of the offending vehicle. If a member of the HOA Board calls for a vehicle with a obvious infraction: expired plates, no stickers, parked illegally, parked for too long in one space, and the list can go on depending on the HOAs parking regulations,, no one needs to be present. The tow truck driver will come and get his booty.

In the end, your vehicle gets towed. You ould then have to
a) mitigate damages. Get your vehicle right away. You can not leave it storage for x number of days untill you get paid and then expect re-imbursement from the HOA
b) appeal to the HOA Board for an explanation of why your vehicle was towed.
c) if you are unhappy with the HOA decission - and the HOA is not required to listen to you unless you are a homeowner - appeal it to small claims court.
d) GET READY - Any HOA who had a lawyer write up the parking regulations - and pretty much all have have - will have a clause that if you sue them for enforcing their own parking regulations and loose (and you will), you have to pay the HOAs attorneys fees.
E) AHA you say, I dont live there, I dont have any money hahaha. Well, the first question you will be required to answer is "Why were you in the community?" You then say you were shacking up with the chick at 8401 Sesquatch Lane. Then the owner of the property will be notified that they will bee responcible if (when) you loose.
This judgement can be enforced by a lien on the house. Virginia Code says it can!
F) If the owner of 8401 says "I do not want any part of this" then you will have had no reason to be in the community and your case will never make it to court.

But hey, you would know this if you asked the landlord or the HOA for a copy of the parking regulations.

Date: November 27, 2006 09:04PM

By the way, in the 6 years I had spent as HOA president, I had over 200 cars towed. Believe it or not, I had one car towed 7 times in one week. Even the tow company told the owner of the vehicle that they were tired of towing him and please stop parking in the community. So, I might be considered a expert on this topic.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 27, 2006 09:34PM

Although I have about 75,000 records in my collection....you can NEVER have too many records!

That's some pretty cool hardcore record collecting, I know some folks with a couple thousand records, one friend with about 5-10 thousand and that seems HUGE, can't imagine 75k... I'd love to see a picture of what those 75,000 records look like.

I absolutely love vinyl but never took it up as a hobby like you.

Date: November 27, 2006 09:57PM

My HOA stated what I stated--that somone must sign off on the tow unless the vehicle is illegally parked (blocking a fire lane, etc).

This is due to a change in the law within about the last 5 years because of predatory towing.

If your information and experience predates that..get with the times. They've changed.

Date: November 27, 2006 10:07PM

Thanks for the information people. Very much appreciated.

Date: November 28, 2006 08:48AM

brian703 Wrote:
> My HOA stated what I stated--that somone must sign
> off on the tow unless the vehicle is illegally
> parked (blocking a fire lane, etc).
>
> This is due to a change in the law within about
> the last 5 years because of predatory towing.
>
> If your information and experience predates
> that..get with the times. They've changed.

What you are missing is the difference between "someone told me" and what is on the Homeowners Association Manuel published by Fairfax County. Now go www.fairfaxcounty.gov search for thjeir Homeowners' Association Mannual and read it. Then call Fairfax County and tell them that they are wrong because "someone told you that..."

Someone told me you are a quite wrong. If the towing company has a contract with the HOA nothing more is required.

Date: November 28, 2006 09:04AM

Please check and read page 74 of the Fairfax Community Association mannual updated MArch 2006. Go to www.fairfaxounty.gov search for HOA Towing and the community mannual should be the third or fourth result. Can I be any clearer??????????????

Oh, ssomeone told you Fairfax County does not have a website.....

Speak from knowledge, not "someone told me".

Date: November 28, 2006 09:07AM

I agree with Former HOA President. A girl I use to date lived in a condo complex and we use to watch the tow trucks at 3am in the morning drive in and hook-up cars. Usually two would come in together and drive around the lots.

All they did was drive slow, spot light the cars and look for decals. If they thought a car didn't have a decal they would get out with a flashlight and look the car the over. Once they confirmed no decal they would backup and tow the car away. It took about a minute and the car was gone.

It was pretty obvious to us that the tow truck drivers were deciding on their own if they wanted to tow a car or not. They didn't get on the radio or have something signed. They just spotlighted them, hooked up and drove out of the parking lot quickly.

Date: November 28, 2006 10:24AM

First problem:

"www.fairfaxounty.gov"

We aren't discussing an HOA in Fairfax County, which, if you weren't a dickhead, you'd realize that.

Second problem:

The Virginia law specifically allows localities to regulate towing.

§ 46.2-1232. Localities may regulate removal or immobilization of trespassing vehicles.

A. The governing body of any county, city, or town may by ordinance regulate the removal of trespassing vehicles from property by or at the direction of the owner, operator, lessee, or authorized agent in charge of the property. In the event that a vehicle is towed from one locality and stored in or released from a location in another locality, the local ordinance, if any, of the locality from which the vehicle was towed shall apply.

B. No local ordinance adopted under authority of this section shall require that any towing and recovery business also operate as or provide services as a vehicle repair facility or body shop, filling station, or any business other than a towing and recovery business.

C. Any such local ordinance may also require towing and recovery operators to (i) obtain and retain photographs or other documentary evidence substantiating the reason for the removal; (ii) post signs at their main place of business and at any other location where towed vehicles may be reclaimed conspicuously indicating (a) the maximum charges allowed by local ordinance, if any, for all their fees for towing, recovery, and storage services and (b) the name and business telephone number of the local official, if any, responsible for handling consumer complaints;

DICKHEAD TAKE NOTICE HERE!!! and (iii) obtain, at the time the vehicle is towed, the written authorization of the owner of the property from which the vehicle is towed, or his agent. Such written authorization, if required, shall be in addition to any written contract between the towing and recovery operator and the owner of the property or his agent. For the purposes of this subsection, "agent" shall not include any person who either (a) is related by blood or marriage to the towing and recovery operator or (b) has a financial interest in the towing and recovery operator's business.

Date: November 28, 2006 10:30AM

So, neither my HOA nor the original poster's HOA are in Fairfax County. All I have to say is "thank god" since my changes of having a dickhead for an HOA president apparently go up dramatically in Fairfax County.

Date: November 28, 2006 10:31AM

changes/chances.

Date: November 28, 2006 10:39AM

And here is the Prince William County law on the subject:

c) It shall be unlawful for any towing firm or operator to tow or otherwise move a vehicle from any parking space on privately owned land or property within the county without the consent of the vehicle's owner unless such land or such property is properly signed in accordance with this section. Furthermore, it shall be unlawful for any towing firm or operator to tow a vehicle from a parking space on any property
unless the property owner or authorized agent of the property owner is present and authorizes, inwriting, the removal of such vehicle.
For purposes of this article, no towing firm or operator may be an authorized agent of a property owner.

Date: November 28, 2006 10:41AM

Funny that backwards Prince William County apparently has a stronger law against predatory towing than "enlightened" Fairfax County.

But that's another discussion for another time ;)

Date: November 28, 2006 11:52AM

brian703 Wrote:
> So, neither my HOA nor the original poster's HOA
> are in Fairfax County. All I have to say is "thank
> god" since my changes of having a dickhead for an
> HOA president apparently go up dramatically in
> Fairfax County.

Brian, sounds like CYA.

Next time somebody posts on FairfaxUndergound.com we will make sure that we ask "What County?"

Please forgive our stupidity in asumming Fairfax County.

Date: November 28, 2006 11:57AM

Well, Gravis had already figured out where this person's HOA is located, if you go back to page 1 and click on the map link he so graciously provided...

And then there was all of the discussion about Manassas which might have served as another clue...

Date: November 28, 2006 11:59AM

And for the totally clue-impaired, there was this post by Jester which stated:

"Oh Manassas... Not sure what the rules are there or if they even have tow trucks that work.

Manassas is its own Country. From what I've seen you can park in somebodies front yard there and nobody would care."

Date: November 28, 2006 12:21PM

LOL, Brian703 more CYA?

Brian703 wrote:
> My understanding is that tow trucks cannot tow unless someone from the HOA is
> present to sign off on it. I believe that is a state law.

Date: November 28, 2006 12:23PM

I was mistaken about it being a state law. I had read this in the paper several years ago, plus my HOA stated the same thing. I had never looked at the actual law until today.

But the fact remains that in Prince William County, what I stated is true.

Date: November 28, 2006 12:26PM

Also there is a state law involved, which gives localities the ability to regulate towing, without that law, Prince William County could not have mandated that someone be present to sign off before a car may be legally towed.

That's the Dillon Rule in effect.

Date: November 28, 2006 12:28PM

brian703 Wrote:
> First problem:
>
> "www.fairfaxounty.gov"
>
> We aren't discussing an HOA in Fairfax County,
> which, if you weren't a dickhead, you'd realize
> that.
>
> Second problem:
>
> The Virginia law specifically allows localities to
> regulate towing.
>
>
> § 46.2-1232. Localities may regulate removal or
> immobilization of trespassing vehicles.
>
> A. The governing body of any county, city, or town
> may by ordinance regulate the removal of
> trespassing vehicles from property by or at the
> direction of the owner, operator, lessee, or
> authorized agent in charge of the property. In the
> event that a vehicle is towed from one locality
> and stored in or released from a location in
> another locality, the local ordinance, if any, of
> the locality from which the vehicle was towed
> shall apply.
>
> B. No local ordinance adopted under authority of
> this section shall require that any towing and
> recovery business also operate as or provide
> services as a vehicle repair facility or body
> shop, filling station, or any business other than
> a towing and recovery business.
>
> C. Any such local ordinance may also require
> towing and recovery operators to (i) obtain and
> retain photographs or other documentary evidence
> substantiating the reason for the removal; (ii)
> post signs at their main place of business and at
> any other location where towed vehicles may be
> reclaimed conspicuously indicating (a) the maximum
> charges allowed by local ordinance, if any, for
> all their fees for towing, recovery, and storage
> services and (b) the name and business telephone
> number of the local official, if any, responsible
> for handling consumer complaints;
>
> DICKHEAD TAKE NOTICE HERE!!! and (iii) obtain, at
> the time the vehicle is towed, the written
> authorization of the owner of the property from
> which the vehicle is towed, or his agent. Such
> written authorization, if required, shall be in
> addition to any written contract between the
> towing and recovery operator and the owner of the
> property or his agent. For the purposes of this
> subsection, "agent" shall not include any person
> who either (a) is related by blood or marriage to
> the towing and recovery operator or (b) has a
> financial interest in the towing and recovery
> operator's business.

Apples and Ornges on the localities issue, my friend. The first sentence of the law you state says "The governing body of any county, city, or town MAY by ordinance regulate the removal of trespassing vehicles from property by or at the direction of the owner". Fairfax County has such rules for HOAs and towing and you can find those on page 74 of the manuel.

And when did any of my posts NOT refer to an HOA in Fairfax County?

Secondly, we had all agreed it was an HOA situation in his girlfriends Mannasas townhome community. Generally, public residential streets do not have reserved and visitors parking spaces.

Thirdly, whether or not Mannassas is in Fairfax County is not something I am not famillar with. I always said what I was saying was based on Fairfax County Community Association Manuel. Maybe I used Homeowner Association manuel by mistake, but even if you search for "Homeowners Association" it still comes up. If he is is outside of Fairfax, go to Loudonunderground.co and bother them.

Fourth, I think Gravis posted a Long and Foster listing in the commununity, and it says "Condo Fee $80" So unless someone is stealling the $80, we have to believe it is property in a homeowners association community.

Lastly, in Fairfax County if the HOA has a contract with a towing company to tow vehicles that meet a ceretain criteria - whatever that criteria may be - the tow company can patroll the neighborhood and tow without warning any vehicle that meets the criteria in the contract.

I have said this all along. Go ask the HOA for the parking regulations. You will see that I am correct.

Date: November 28, 2006 12:34PM

brian703 Wrote:
> I was mistaken about it being a state law. I had
> read this in the paper several years ago, plus my
> HOA stated the same thing. I had never looked at
> the actual law until today.
>
> But the fact remains that in Prince William
> County, what I stated is true.

Look, you spread mis information and did not bother to check "facts". I spoke the truth. You said you never looked at the law until today, but were quick to tell me to "get with the times". You were wrong, and I was right all along.

If the locality is located outside of Fairfax County, go find somewhere else to ask your questions and perhaps you will get a more relevant answer.

Date: November 28, 2006 12:37PM

I'll take your word that what you've stated is correct for Fairfax County (I'm not going to look up their towing law), but what I stated is correct for Prince William County.

In particular, this:

"in Fairfax County if the HOA has a contract with a towing company to tow vehicles that meet a ceretain criteria - whatever that criteria may be - the tow company can patroll the neighborhood and tow without warning any vehicle that meets the criteria in the contract."

is not true in Prince William County. Their law is specific in that it says that "Furthermore, it shall be unlawful for any towing firm or operator to tow a vehicle from a parking space on any property unless the property owner or authorized agent of the property owner is present and authorizes, inwriting, the removal of such vehicle."

And it goes on further to say that "For purposes of this article, no towing firm or operator may be an authorized agent of a property owner."

So, in Prince William County, someone from the HOA or the management company MUST be present and authorize, in writing, when a vehicle is towed from a parking space.

The law in Prince William County was like that in Fairfax up until several years ago. Due to abuses, and I would guess the resulting complaints to the Board of Supervisors, that changed.

Date: November 28, 2006 12:46PM

"If the locality is located outside of Fairfax County, go find somewhere else to ask your questions and perhaps you will get a more relevant answer."

I provided a relevant answer, based on what I know to be true for where I live, which is in PW County.

(I thought it was a state law. My mistake. Since I have no occasion to ever park in a townhouse lot in Fairfax County, I remained blissfully ignorant of their towing laws and how they differ from what is in effect in Prince William).

Date: November 28, 2006 12:48PM

Lurker Wrote:
> brian703 Wrote:
All I have to say is "thank god" since my changes of having a dickhead for
> an HOA president apparently go up dramatically in Fairfax County.

And If I were the HOA President I would look forward to hearing your side of the story, mis-interpretations of the law, and general foolishness at the monthly meetings.

Maybe it is because we deal with people like you who spew lies and "someone told me so's" and who have no regard for facts or the truth, we are "dickheads".

Buy a house, join the Board and then you will see what I mean. You will deal with residents in the community like yourself all day long.

Date: November 28, 2006 12:52PM

You know, if I wanted to I could easily join the board of my HOA (both of them--the house I live in and the rental property I own).

I really have no interest in that. They both seem to do a fine job. About all anyone complains about where I live is parking, and since I have a garage with a driveway, it's not really any concern of mine.

Date: November 28, 2006 01:03PM

Lurker Wrote:
> brian703 Wrote:
> -----
> > So, neither my HOA nor the original poster's
> HOA
> > are in Fairfax County. All I have to say is
> "thank
> > god" since my changes of having a dickhead for
> an
> > HOA president apparently go up dramatically in
> > Fairfax County.
>
>
> Brian, sounds like CYA.
>
> Next time somebody posts on FairfaxUndergound.com
> we will make sure that we ask "What County?"
>
> Please forgive our stupidity in asumming Fairfax
> County.

I personally love this idea. Next time someone says "I got a ticket for doing 65 in a 15 zone" we will all ask "what County".

Next time someone asks "where do I go to meet women" we will all ask "What County?

I think Cary should change the name to Whatcountyunderground.com

Date: November 28, 2006 01:08PM

From the posts I've seen on here, there are a number of people posting who are not from Fairfax County and/or who are but got pulled over and/or towed (or whatever) in another jurisdiction.

They could post their query in the appropriate sub forum on here, but many of those get little traffic so it ends up in this forum.

Date: November 28, 2006 02:28PM

Brian703,

Clean the resin out of your bong, it's having an effect on the herb you're smoking.

Date: November 28, 2006 02:31PM

There are a lot of potheads posting here, but I am not one of them.

Sorry.

Posted by: *burpgun* ()
Date: November 28, 2006 02:42PM

Yo HOA Pres, who is this "Manuel" you twice speak of? Maybe he's talking about HOA rules south of the border... No wait, that was a spelling mistake. Now I understand, it's an HOA "mannual..." Got it.

* Sorry, I'm usually not one for correcting spelling - that's better left to RESton Peace - but this guy's way too serious not to be called on the three strikes rule.

Date: November 28, 2006 02:46PM

That "manuel" or "mannual" is "geographically irrelevant".

Date: November 28, 2006 05:19PM

Yup I mis spelled the word but it "sounded correct". My apologies. At least give me credit, for all else, being factual, relevant and to the point. I never claimed to know the PW towings regs but when it came to Fairfax and HOAs you must admit
I know my stuff - just not the spelling of a certain word.

Date: November 28, 2006 05:38PM

Having dealt with different HOA and presidents I can say they do have a lot of power. Every so often a real tyrant will become president due to lack of involvelment by the members. They can and do raise association fees and make rules to suit their personal taste and often as not for revenge on a neighbor.
Since they have total control over the parking the rules can be harsh or hardly enforced at all.

There is a story making the rounds of a woman in Colorado who has a Christmas reef with a peace symbol in the middle. Her HOA has fined her $25.00 a day since she put it up. They say it is a satanic symbol and doesnt support the troops.

Date: November 28, 2006 05:58PM

A friend of mine's landlord replaced the wooden garage door with a metal one.

The HOA had a shitfit and people at the meeting almost came to blows.

The landlord ended up having to tear the metal garage door out and put a wooden one back in.

The metal door didn't perfectly match the wooden doors on the rest of the street, not that you'd notice it with a casual glance.

It's that sort of ridiculous shit that makes me glad my HOA is more reasonable!

Date: November 28, 2006 05:59PM

As far as lack of involvement, yes--my HOA has trouble getting a qourum for the annual meeting.

Date: November 28, 2006 06:46PM

I can tell you for a fact thae people who complain the most are the ones that never show up for the annual meetings. I remember one guy who never did anything but complain when he saw me around the neighborhood. Once he had minor complaint and left a message on my cell phone demanding I return his call immediately. This was on a Saturday night and I was at a Nats game. I returned his call an hour later and he complained about my slow response.

A couple of weeks later, I tried to get his proxy for the annual meeting and he bitched at me again for my slow response and said he would sign the proxy and return it to someone else on the Board to teach me a lesson. He never did return it to anyone and still bitches at me when he sees me.

I can tell you that most Boards are re-active. Someone has to pitch a bitch to the Board for them to go out of their way to enforce the rules.

My next door neighbor sent me a letter demanding I take down my alarm sign in my front yard. I responded that it was not against the rules and he had his alarm sign in his front yard. He responded that his sign was up first and my sign made his sign less effective.

From experiance, I can tell you there are more lies and unreasonableness from the residents not on the Board. For instance, people quoting towing laws which do not exist or are from a different jurisdiction.

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: November 28, 2006 07:05PM

i didnt know people had this much to say about parking laws.

Posted by: Crissy ()
Date: November 28, 2006 07:41PM

Brian I live in Manassas and I've had my car towed twice by my HOA. Nobody signed for it.

Date: November 28, 2006 08:07PM

The last and only time I had any dealing about anything to my board (other than annual meetings), it wasn't a complaint, more of an FYI so they knew who (Comcast) the orange cable strung across the road belonged to they could get them to deal with it. As it turned out the local code enforcement officer was at the meeting (discussing how they deal with overcrowding complaints, go figure) and he took care of it with Comcast.

You're still hung up on the jurisdiction thing, huh? Accept that the person who asked the question does not live in the jurisdiction where you are the resident expert on parking laws and move on.

Chrissy, the way I read the law, the towing company towing off of private property in PW County needs no signature to tow if the car is not in a parking space. That includes the following situations, which I have no idea whether they apply to you but here they are: double parked, parked on the grass on common property, parked in a fire lane/next to a yellow curb, parked in front of a fire hydrant, parked in the middle of the road, etc. That probably also includes taking up two parking spaces.

Date: November 28, 2006 08:47PM

holy crap... someone just say "my bad" or get over the "no it's not like that!" issue. damn.

Date: November 28, 2006 08:52PM

"get over the "no it's not like that!" issue. damn."

Ok. It's like that in PW County. It's not like that in Fairfax County.

Conversely, it's like that in Fairfax County. It's not like that in PW County.

Happy?

Date: November 28, 2006 09:10PM

... Wrote:
> "get over the "no it's not like that!" issue.
> damn."
>
> Ok. It's like that in PW County. It's not like
> that in Fairfax County.
>
> Conversely, it's like that in Fairfax County. It's
> not like that in PW County.
>
> Happy?

I am only trying to make the point that from the very begining I said Fairfax County and HOA regulations. He wuoted a State law that does not exist and then said I did not know what I was talking about and did not say till later he was from outside Fairfax County.

I was correct all along and he was wrong. Just making that point clear.

Date: November 28, 2006 09:14PM

Oh and I want my nanna. My bottle is getting cold and I think it's getting close to nap-nap time.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.