HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Detail Measurement and Quote for Door Install
Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: November 05, 2009 12:28PM

When you pay for a detail measurement for a door installation, followed up with a "complete quote for review," shouldn't the measurements be included in the quote, and shouldn't the quote be broken out to show how the installation charges are applied?

My contract says, "thank you for your decision to purchase a detail mesurement from Lowe's" I entered into this contract a few days ago, and today I received an email quote of a lump sum total for the installation, with no break out.

Lowes is telling me the measurements are Lowe's property and I'm not entitled to this information - they did however say they would break out the installation charges and if I needed to match Lowe's doors to the measurements, a sales person had the information and file and would work with me.

Is this standard? If so, what did I pay for?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2009 12:32PM by RestonLass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Detail Measurement and Quote for Door Install
Posted by: Jerk'n'Burke ()
Date: November 05, 2009 04:05PM

It looks like you paid to have someone come out, measure your door, and give you a quote. Paying for a quote is pretty shady. I mean how hard is it to pull out a tape measure?

Lowes, and Home Depot sub-out all their work, and you never know who is going to show up. I would definitely try to get your money back for the quote, and It would be better to find a contract out of the phone book and go with them, at least you will know who you are dealing with.

Date: November 05, 2009 04:26PM

How much is the door listed for in the store? Subtract that from the overall quote, throw a few percentage points in for taxes and you will have a rough idea.

I have had Lowe's install doors. They provide you a set price. If the contractor can't get the shit done in a timely manner, the contractor eats it. The cost isn't passed on to you. Also, the contractor actually shows up because he doesn't want to piss off Lowe's. I doubt you will get a better deal hiring a contractor on your own and buying the door separately.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Fairfax22032 ()
Date: November 05, 2009 04:54PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have had Lowe's install doors. They provide you
> a set price. If the contractor can't get the shit
> done in a timely manner, the contractor eats it.
> The cost isn't passed on to you. Also, the
> contractor actually shows up because he doesn't
> want to piss off Lowe's. I doubt you will get a
> better deal hiring a contractor on your own and
> buying the door separately.

Unless you know that you can do the install, use the Lowe's installer. As stated above, if they make a mistake it is not your problem. We learned this lesson the hard way after buying a door at HD and then hiring an installer from Craigslist. The price seemed right, but he trimmed the door a bit too much and now we have a 1/2" gap on the latch side of the door. Unfortunately, my wife did not notice it and by the time I got home the installer was impossible to reach.

Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: November 05, 2009 05:23PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much is the door listed for in the store?
> Subtract that from the overall quote, throw a few
> percentage points in for taxes and you will have a
> rough idea.

The quote was for labor only. I needed the measurements to match to the replacement door specs to be sure I buy the right size.

Each store lists the estimated insllation charge on the display doors. The labor quote was nearly double. I expected it to be higher than the "base" installation charge, but not double.

The detail measurement report would also allow me to compare to the labor break out and better understand where the extra costs are being applied. Apparently, Lowes doesn't want customers to know this.

A few friends recommended a local licensed contractor who has done quite a bit of work for them, and in the community. I left a message for him and waiting for him to call back.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: November 05, 2009 11:17PM

I know I have posted this before, But here goes

My business
Bobs Handyman Service
Licensed Bonded Insured
Member of the BBB
also have contractors license

Electrical, plumbing,painting.
carpentry, drywall,power washing,
and damn near anything else you need

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.