HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Metro parking lot
Posted by: Metro ()
Date: November 03, 2009 02:45PM

Hey guys,
I was at the hundington metro station around 12am after comming back from dc. Me and a friend entered the parking lit around 9pm and went on out way. When we entered the lot there was no one at the stall near the gate and it just opened. So asuming the parking was free we went on our way. This was my frist time riding the metro. As we were leaving the gate would not open. The only way to get out was by smartcard. Something that we did not hve. Since there was no other way to pay the parking. My friend lifted the gate and we went on our way. However when we got out. Someone was walking towards the booth. We left in fear of not making home for cerfew. Can someone tell me what is going to happen. We waited at the gate for 3 minutes and no one showed. So it seemed like the best option. This happened yesterday. My friend said that he saw a camera. Can someone let me know how I can fix this as in should I frget about it or call metro and see what they say?
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metro parking lot
Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: November 03, 2009 02:53PM

There is never anyone in the stall because they kept stealing. That's why you need a smart card. Also, I believe parking is free after 10PM and on weekends. As for your concern about someone coming after you for not paying and manually lifting the gate to get out, just forget it.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: November 03, 2009 02:53PM

I had the same thing happen a while back. Don't worry they don't put people in the toll booths\gate any more. The only way out is a smartcard. To get one you have to go back and park, go inside the station and then have a $20 dollar bill.

I didn't have a smartcard and spent over 30 minutes getting the whole thing figured out. Luckily I was able to get change from a cab driver to take back inside to get a smartcard.(Yes, that's right, change from a cab driver! because nobody in the station was allowed to make change) If I couldn't of got change from him I would of had to hire a cab to take me to an ATM.

Complete BS! I wrote Metro a nasty letter!

A SIGN ENTERING THE LOT SAYING "YOU MUST HAVE A SMARTCARD TO EXIT THIS LOT" would of been nice

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 03:01PM by Lurker..

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 03, 2009 03:01PM

You have to pay for parking until the system closes on weekdays (shortly after midnite). It's still free on weekends though.

Also, the booths are usually manned, but will be empty later in the evening.

Not sure what to make of the OP's predicament. I wouldn't worry.

Johnny Walker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is never anyone in the stall because they
> kept stealing. That's why you need a smart card.
> Also, I believe parking is free after 10PM and on
> weekends. As for your concern about someone coming
> after you for not paying and manually lifting the
> gate to get out, just forget it.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: November 03, 2009 03:03PM

The Vienna lot I used was unmanned at about 9pm. I was told this was standard.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: November 03, 2009 03:28PM

On weekday evenings, the gates do not lift until midnight. Before midnight, you must either have a Smartrip card to pay for the exit fee or be at one of the very few metro stations that accepts a credit card at ONE of the exit lanes.

The following stations take credit cards cards: Anacostia, Franconia-Springfield, Largo Town Center, Vienna/Fairfax-GMU, Shady Grove, and New Carrollton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 03:29PM by ITRADE.

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: November 03, 2009 03:43PM

I could have sworn I've left Metro on a weeknight a little after 10 and it was free. It's been a while so maybe they changed that or maybe I'm mistaken and it was a weekend. Oh well.

Posted by: Cheater ()
Date: November 03, 2009 04:18PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> The Vienna lot I used was unmanned at about 9pm.
> I was told this was standard.

Last time I parked at the gated-lot at Vienna station, you could drive around the arm (over the sidewalk) without paying.

Posted by: Metro ()
Date: November 03, 2009 08:12PM

thanks for the replies guys. I'll just forget it. I was a bit worried but than again what could i have done? I was unaware about the whole smart trip card. When i entered the lot there was not a single board or card that said I needed one to leave...

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 03, 2009 08:36PM

At least once a month I'll get behind a car that has to turnaround at the gate because they didn't know about SmartCard. There are signs, but they aren't obvious. The whole system was implemented terribly.

The pilot program to accept credit cards is the right way to go. They should've done that in the first place!

Metro Wrote:
> thanks for the replies guys. I'll just forget it.
> I was a bit worried but than again what could i
> have done? I was unaware about the whole smart
> trip card. When i entered the lot there was not a
> single board or card that said I needed one to
> leave...

Posted by: b ()
Date: November 04, 2009 09:05PM

c'mon... there are signs all over the freaking place explaining the need for a smartcard and warning that you won't be able to get out w/o one. being a dumbass isn't a good excuse.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.