HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Do I have to response to a Red Light Camera traffic ticket mailed to me?
Posted by: traffic ticket ()
Date: August 22, 2017 10:05PM

Hey guys,

I was out at around midnight in Alexandria a month ago and turned on red light after stopping. A few weeks ago I received a Red-Light Camera traffic ticket from the city stating that I had run the light and that no turns were allowed.

I am curious if I can safely ignore this mailer.

I have been reading up online and it seems that since it came from a third party collection agency and since their was no officer there to actually present the ticket to me it is not sufficient notice under VA law.

Is this correct? The articles were from 2009 so I'm not entirely sure.

Also, has anyone experienced this before?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do I have to response to a Red Light Camera traffic ticket mailed to me?
Posted by: Officer Friendly ()
Date: August 22, 2017 10:27PM

Absolutely correct.

With no citation, this is nothing more than a scammed hoping that you suck enough to foolishly send out a payment.

I hate scammers.

Posted by: Vdot ()
Date: August 22, 2017 10:37PM

If you don't pay, nothing will happen.

Posted by: FCPD ()
Date: August 23, 2017 05:16AM

If you pay it, they will continue,to bill you for OTHER traffic lights.

Posted by: Pay or consequences ()
Date: August 23, 2017 09:00AM

Officer Friendly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Absolutely correct.
>
> With no citation, this is nothing more than a
> scammed hoping that you suck enough to foolishly
> send out a payment.
>
> I hate scammers.

Traffic camera tickets are perfectly valid against the registered owner of the offending vehicle. If you want to learn first-hand what happens as the result of ignoring such a thing, ignore it. What could possibly go wrong?

Posted by: Fools on this site ()
Date: August 23, 2017 09:50AM

traffic ticket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey guys,
>
> I was out at around midnight in Alexandria a month
> ago and turned on red light after stopping. A few
> weeks ago I received a Red-Light Camera traffic
> ticket from the city stating that I had run the
> light and that no turns were allowed.
>
> I am curious if I can safely ignore this mailer.
>
> I have been reading up online and it seems that
> since it came from a third party collection agency
> and since their was no officer there to actually
> present the ticket to me it is not sufficient
> notice under VA law.
>
> Is this correct? The articles were from 2009 so
> I'm not entirely sure.
>
> Also, has anyone experienced this before?

First you say that it came from the city, then you state that it came from a third-party collection agency.

Appeal the ticket before the deadline date passes. At the very least you will forestall having to pay, and will have stopped the clock on penalties while the appeal is mulled over.

Posted by: TAKE TIME TO LEARN IT ()
Date: August 23, 2017 10:07AM

In DC, such tickets can be contested but you would be brought to court to contest.

In my case, another family member was using my car and I challenged the "jurisdiction" of the court to charge me as owner of the car for the behavior of another diver.

I am not sure if in Alexandria VA you will have the same luck, but it may be worth a try depending on whether you have the time to go to court.

If not, I would pay it, because likely your car could be impounded and the late fees on the tickets will be imposed. it also could effect your license renewal.

OP, you need to do your research and learn about all of the possible ramifications for ignoring this before your court date and make your own decision.

Posted by: Better Call Fairfax Underground ()
Date: August 23, 2017 12:40PM

Just ignore it.
They can't do anything.
What could go wrong?

Come back for legal aid whenever you need it.

Posted by: 7VXNU ()
Date: August 23, 2017 12:47PM

I got one of those in Arlington, the right turn before you get on I-66.

Posted by: Don't be sorry ()
Date: August 23, 2017 08:37PM

You will regret paying that thing.

Wait until they hit you with a threat.

Then tell them you never got the first one.

Who gets mail anymore?

If they start to make noise, you can pay them then if you want to.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: August 23, 2017 08:47PM

Yes.

Posted by: NoVa Nate ()
Date: August 28, 2017 04:31PM

It's a civil matter, not a criminal one, so not paying it won't impact your licensing, registration, or anything. They'll eventually send it over to collections, but can't put a lien on your stuff, so it just goes to collections.

Posted by: RedLightCameras ()
Date: August 28, 2017 05:14PM

Red light Cameras have been successfully defeated in cases were it can be proven that the timing of the green to yellow to red has been altered (shortened). The defense is that they are similar to speed traps which have been determined to be employed soley as revenue generators! However, right turn cameras might be tougher to fight since they likely have the full video showing you rolling through it.

At the very least, if that bill is coming from a 3rd party, a quick stop by the local police department near the alleged offense should help clarify the validity of the fine. What a develish scam it would be to set up cameras & take the pictures of cars rolling through at stoplights, then sending out hundreds/thousands of bogus fines, get your credit card number and start a buying spree with the info!

I guess anything is possible.

Date: August 28, 2017 10:02PM

Dear Scofflaw,

I take a dim view of lawbreakers.

Furthmore, those unwilling to accept responsibility for their actions makes me want to disable my body cam and pummel a sense of responsibility into them.

Pay your fine, jackass.

Respectfully,

John Law

Posted by: callingoutassholes ()
Date: October 20, 2018 04:29PM

i hope you do disable your camera and get caught for it

Posted by: CaptainHowdy ()
Date: July 19, 2019 07:52AM

Take your body cam off and pummel me. In the end the erroneous tax revenue that these red light cameras generated will pay both me, my attorney fees, and your severance pay. Typical pig attitude of a local FFXCO cop. Don’t forget you are a public servant and a safety officer, not some authoritarian droog.

These cameras were NEVER designed, intended, or implemented to improve safety. They were designed to generate tax revenue to pay the ever rising costs our fine local government keeps tallying up. Don’t be so blind to think the county and these contractors running this scheme aren’t getting all kinds of kickbacks.

I remember 15 years ago when these things were first implemented (and subsequently shut off). The yellow light would display for about 1.3 sec. Drivers who were caught in the intersection driving normally were screwed. Other drivers trying to avoid this would slam their brakes, causing accidents. There was such an outcry from the public that FFXCO shut off all but a few of these cameras, the only ones still on surrounding the immediate courthouse/city area.

Yes there are sofflaws out there. But these “red light cameras” been proven time and time again statistically (across the country) to INCREASE traffic mishaps. But hey, they’re a great source of revenue.

I guess so long as your pension is guaranteed after “busting” no good average folk for a living that’s all that matters, right Mr. John Law? Hey, I think there might be some kids smoking low grade ganja behind the local CVS, better swing get hit on that one.

Posted by: Pappa Smurf ()
Date: July 19, 2019 08:06AM

Go ahead and take this guys advice and you will end up with no license and a huge fine. Red light tickets are legit. Failure to pay them will cost you big. I worked in the Court system for several years and never saw the contract company lose. A. A traffic citation is NOT a criminal offense, there by no officer is required, B. The Contract company is an extension of the city of hire. They will send a rep to the court. Add to that , unlike the city, they can charge you high intertest (Much like the HOV people) Your simple fine could end up costing you several hundreds of dollars. Your choice, but me, I like my OLN.

Date: July 19, 2019 09:35AM

You need to pay the ticket as failure to pay will result in suspension of your drivers license.
Attachments:
Officer Friendly of your local Police Department.jpeg

Posted by: piece of advice ()
Date: July 19, 2019 02:39PM

If it's legit, they provide you with a copy of the picture of your vehicle at the intersection where you turned. There's also phone numbers on these things. You could always call and ask THEM if it's a legitimate ticket.

Posted by: Road user ()
Date: July 19, 2019 03:08PM

Every traffic ticket is free toilet paper. It's so easy to find something the dumbass cop did wrong. Even easier when it's a camera ticket. They would make revenue by not wasting paper and firing a couple retarded cops.

Posted by: CaptainHowdy ()
Date: July 20, 2019 08:10AM

I have always paid any ticket I received in a timely manner, whether I agreed with it or not. Even the most petty “violation” as having a fart can on my old Honda Civic. I guess the silver lining around it all is some FFXCO Pig’s daughter was able to buy her text books and graduate NOVA with a liberal arts degree so she can go work for the courthouse and process traffic light tickets.

I’ve long since moved out of FFXCO and have no desire to return, barring driving through to visit family. Fortunately traffic light cameras are all too easy to defeat, so I’m not worried anyway. But I commend the fine work our local politicians and PD continue to execute. Gotta have that extra tax revenue to buy fancy new wood desks and leather chairs every five years I guess.

In other news, Chicago PD are getting shot at while battling gangs and drug violence...

It’s sad that within 10-15 years illegal immigrants will probably be able to obtain a DL and vote more retards into office while honest citizens continue to get screwed by dumbass laws. MS13 will be considered a “racist” term and FFXCOPD will have to receive sensitivity training. Good luck fellas!

You have the right to face your accuser
Posted by: See what happen ()
Date: July 20, 2019 09:23AM

Tell them you want a jury trial and you want the right to face your accuser.

Demand they bring the camera to the trial, so you can put it on the stand and cross examine it with questions to see how it answers.

Re: You have the right to face your accuser
Posted by: See what happens ()
Date: July 20, 2019 09:24AM

Also, no one else can testify for the the camera. That would be HEARSAY and speculation, since they were not there, and that is not allowed.

Posted by: Lovely Rita ()
Date: July 20, 2019 10:12AM

You can feel free to ignore red light camera tickets. Just be sure never to leave your car parked on the street in the jurisdiction that issued that ticket. You may find a boot on your vehicle if you are not mindful of that warning.

Posted by: Kingspell sucks ()
Date: July 23, 2019 07:21AM

kvvvu

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.