HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Buying a World Series costs an arm AND a leg not an arm OR a leg
Posted by: Peg ()
Date: August 17, 2017 10:12PM

If the Nationals really want to win the champoinship they need to go all th way. Time for Mark Lerner to step up

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a World Series costs an arm AND a leg not an arm OR a leg
Posted by: Baseball Competitor ()
Date: August 17, 2017 11:36PM

Cheapass Lerners are willing to cough up enough for a respectable team so people will buy tickets. They draw just as many fans that way for a lot less money. They won't pay for a World Series capable team.

They got some bats, they got a junk bullpen and a winner bullpen, They need some starting pitching, which cheapass Lerners aren't willing to pay for.

They should stick to selling brassieres, which is a business they know something about.

Posted by: Nationals.Jihadist ()
Date: August 18, 2017 12:18AM

Yup...those cheapass Lerners...not bothering to sign Strasburg to a new deal before his current one expired...wait.

Before you go calling the team owners cheap...take a look at the sports landscape. DC is not a great sports town. DC uses pro sports as means of lobbyists plying their trade on the public sector...and sales and marketing plying theirs on the private sector. Tickets to games for all teams are a means of conducting this town's business.

This is not NY, PGH, PHI, CHI, or BOS. There is no blue-collar here...and what blue collar there is...goes to watch DC United.

Sports teams are viable business enterprises here because there is lots of discretionary income and people don't live and die on the team's performances because few people are born and bred DC folks. Everyone comes from somewhere else. Since 1999, Dan's Snyder's Redskins have been to the playoffs 5 times, played 6 games and went 2-4. They haven't won a Super Bowl in 25 years.

And yet, they are one of the most profitable and valuable of all pro sports franchises. If people still come to your games, regardless of the team's performance, why spend any more on your expenses including player's salaries then you have to? Hell, FedEx Field didn't even have an actual hi-def JumboTron until 2 years ago and only because the league told them to install one.

And with WSH being a transient area, as a vendor I'm actually buying for WSH's opponents. I have corporate suites for Wizards, Caps, Nationals, Orioles, Redskins and Ravens. Part of my account management is knowing what pro sports teams my clients root for...and when those teams are in town, I make sure to take them to the game.

I love my DC teams but they frequently underperform...to the delight of my clients and to the benefit of my business interests. And until that model changes...the ownership dynamics of my teams will not change.

Posted by: Pimp with a limp ()
Date: August 18, 2017 08:17AM

"and what blue collar there is...goes to watch DC United."

incorrect.

Date: August 18, 2017 01:27PM

I work in a toll booth on 66.

Date: August 18, 2017 02:17PM

Nationals.Jihadist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I work in a toll booth on 66.

Of course, there are no toll booths on 66...but, hey whatever man...

My watch costs more than your house.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.