HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Lee Hwy to be renamed Fairfax Blvd on July 1st
Posted by: tarp ()
Date: June 13, 2005 08:23PM

Below is the article... I think this is pretty ridiculous. This disrupts the continuity of Main Street (which runs along the historical Little River Turnpike along Rt. 236 and 50) and Lee Highway. It's also ridiculous because it'll be one name for portions of TWO roads -- to stay on Fairfax Boulevard at the corner of 50 /29/236, you'll have to make a turn. Plus I personally think Main St and Lee Hwy have more character than unimaginative "Fairfax Boulevard". Everything around here already has the name Fairfax in it.

Article is below, taken from http://www.ci.fairfax.va.us/residents/CommunityRelations/CityScene/cityscene%2006-05.pdf:

On July 1,the city will rename the entire length of Route 50 in the city “Fair-
Currently,west of Kamp Washington, “Lee Highway ”from Kamp Washington
to Fairfax Circle,and “Arlington Boulevard ” east of Fairfax Circle..

Lee Highway (Route 29) will not change its name south of Kamp Washington and north of Fairfax Circle. The city will install traf fic signs identifying Fairfax Boulevard. This change was recommended by the Lee Highway Task Force to
strengthen the corridor ’s identity and economic development potential.

The numerical designation of parcels will not be affected and the U.S.Post Office will continue to deliver mail addressed to Lee Highway.

However,the proper legal address will be “Fairfax Boulevard ”and all governmental services,particularly emergency services,will be dispatched
using “Fairfax Boulevard.”

This change is part of the newly established Fairfax Boulevard Business
Improvement District (BID).The BID will provide enhanced levels of service
to improve the corridor ’s appearance and overall marketability.This will be funded in part by an assessment levied on Fairfax Boulevard businesses.

The City Council appointed 18 people to the BID board of directors, all of whom own property or businesses in the BID.This board will organize and direct the BID, manage requests of its members and oversee expenditure of its funds.For information,call 703-385-7862 .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lee Hwy to be renamed Fairfax Blvd on July 1st
Posted by: johnnye ()
Date: June 13, 2005 09:22PM

Thats covered by the "You know youre from Northern VA when..." list.

53. If you stay on the same road long enough, it will eventually have 3 new names.

My favorite is Rt 123.

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: June 13, 2005 10:07PM

I enjoy springvale/baron cameron/elden st/centerville rd/walney rd/westfields blvd/stone rd, which is one length of road with different rt numbers

Posted by: Mateo ()
Date: June 13, 2005 11:26PM

for those of you who haven't seen it yet -

coming down rt 50 from Fair Oaks...they've got a construction sign up announcing the change.

Posted by: VALegend ()
Date: June 15, 2005 03:24AM

I think the renaming of different portions of streets is asinine. I wonder how much extra money the county spends on all these different street signs, instead of having them all the same name?

Posted by: Randy ()
Date: June 15, 2005 03:25PM

My personal favorite is in the Tyson's area

Aline Ave -- Old Courthouse Rd -- Gosnell Rd -- West Park Dr -- Galleria Dr

The total length of these roads is just over 3.5 miles, and makes 3/4 of a circle around Tyson's 2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2005 03:26PM by Randy.
Attachments:
westpark-map.jpg

Posted by: anagogue ()
Date: June 30, 2005 09:28AM

rstidman:

You forgot that it's Poplar Tree Road between Westfields and Stone (with no relation whatever to the Poplar Tree Road about a quarter mile away), and once it crosses 29 (as Stone), it becomes Pendleton Pl, and then Shirey Ln.

That one's definitely my favorite, too :)

-anagogue

Posted by: Matt tarp ()
Date: June 30, 2005 02:35PM

Actually those Poplar Tree Roads used to be connected, before 28 was upgraded.

Posted by: Tim ()
Date: June 30, 2005 04:45PM

Yeah, that's a trip down memory lane. I remember riding the schoolbus down poplar tree when it crossed over 28

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: July 01, 2005 03:25AM

I'm guessing Lee highway was name after Robert E Lee? Is this just another politically correct change despite the obvious historical background with the surrounding geography?

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: July 01, 2005 08:40AM

well, robert e lee was technically a mamber of the George Washington descendency in Virginia, through Martha Washington. He was morally opposed to slavery but fought for the flag he believed he represented.

I'm named after him so I am biased...

Lighthorse Henry Lee, his father, was a war hero from the revolution, as well as governor of VA and a congressman from 1799-801., so you could reasonably say the road is also named after him if it makes you feel better.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2005 08:45AM by rstidman.

Posted by: dlee ()
Date: July 20, 2005 03:53PM

For those worried about historical preservation and all that, thanks to the local SCV chapter, the city agreed to keep the Lee Highway moniker.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2005 03:57PM by dlee.
Attachments:
leehighway.jpg

Posted by: kingOFgEEEks ()
Date: July 20, 2005 06:45PM

The dual name actually makes sense, in order to differentiate between the city and the county. For example, something on FFX boulevard would be in the city, and something with a Lee Hwy. address would be outside of the city limits, but still in FFX county.

Posted by: CERTenly2329832 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 02:15AM

CERT want to lay Lee on BLVD!!!

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: October 13, 2011 12:29PM

anagogue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rstidman:
>
> You forgot that it's Poplar Tree Road between
> Westfields and Stone (with no relation whatever to
> the Poplar Tree Road about a quarter mile away),
> and once it crosses 29 (as Stone), it becomes
> Pendleton Pl, and then Shirey Ln.
>
> That one's definitely my favorite, too :)
>
> -anagogue

Well, since this thread's resurrected.

I don't believe you can count Pendleton or Shirley as continuations of the road. You sort of come to a T-intersection inside a cul-de-sac.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=38.834292,-77.455298&spn=0.004714,0.011362&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=17

However, you could make an argument for the northern side where the road makes a sharp bend around L'Auberge Chez Francois. If you consider that the same road that bends, then you're at:

Stone
Poplar Tree
Westfields
Walney
Centreville
Elden
Baron Cameron
Springvale
Beach Mill
Brockman

Of course, the state route #'s change a lot (603 to 674 to 606 to 657 to 662). So that's a road where you could follow pavement without true turns, but many names and route #'s.

Gordon Blvd - Ox Road - Chain Bridge - Maple Ave - Chain Bridge (again) - Dolley Madison Blvd - Chain Bridge (yet again)

as someone mentioned is also good - especially because it stays 123 the whole way!

Also, following a road:
Woodland Way - Burke Lake Rd - Clifton Rd - Stringfellow Rd - Stringfellow Ct takes you pretty far and crosses several roads twice (Braddock, 7100, etc.)

If you follow State Route 645, you do most of the above (minus Woodland) and then jog off Stringfellow onto Lee's Corner up to Centreville Rd and then jog again onto Wall Rd (although that may have changed once they re-did 28 and removed or connected a couple things up there)

Posted by: top this one ()
Date: October 13, 2011 01:25PM

Rt. 7.

King St.
Leesburg Pike
Broad St.
Leesburg Pike
Harry F. Byrd Hwy.
Market St.
Harry F. Byrd Hwy.
Colonial Hwy.
Main St.
Berryville Pike
National Ave.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: October 13, 2011 01:33PM

Now, granted it's a US route and thus not really a fair comparison - but imagine how many names US-50 goes through between Ocean City, MD and Sacramento, CA?

Posted by: Bobby Lee ()
Date: October 13, 2011 01:38PM

It's been 6 years since this post...even given the transient nature of NOVA, I guarantee you if you spent the afternoon on that road asking people what it's called, they'd STILL say, "Lee Highway".

Posted by: whu? ()
Date: October 13, 2011 01:45PM

snowdenscold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now, granted it's a US route and thus not really a
> fair comparison - but imagine how many names US-50
> goes through between Ocean City, MD and
> Sacramento, CA?

You mean it isn't Arlington Blvd. the whole way?????

Posted by: Scott ()
Date: October 13, 2011 01:45PM

Ocean Gateway from OC to the Bay Bridge, John Hanson Highway, NewYork Avenue, a few others in DC then Arlington Blvd, Fairfax BLVD, then Main Street, John Moseby Highway. and so on and so forth.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.