HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Who is going to watch the School Board meeting tonight? They are voting on the Stuart name change.
Posted by: making popcorn tonight ()
Date: July 27, 2017 05:00PM

We will do a live discussion/analysis right here. It's a tradition.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who is going to watch the School Board meeting tonight? They are voting on the Stuart name change.
Posted by: 100% ()
Date: July 27, 2017 05:06PM

making popcorn tonight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We will do a live discussion/analysis right here.
> It's a tradition.

It's going to be changed. Get over it.

Re: Who is going to watch the School Board meeting tonight? They are voting on the Stuart name change.
Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: July 27, 2017 05:07PM

Hmmm. Tammy Koufax submitted the following motion for consideration. I'm not sure of the legal implications of this motion but if I was a SB Member I would want to consult with legal counsel.

1.) I move that the Board take no action tonight on the potential renaming of JEB Stuart High School. I further move that the Board,

a) Adhere to its existing published Policy and Regulations regarding the potential renaming of J.E.B. Stuart HS;

b) Direct the Superintendent to work with the Board to specifically define 'compelling need', 'community', and the terms 'sufficient support' as stipulated in Regulation 8170.7; and

c) Direct the Superintendent to review the processes followed to date in sections IV.A. and IV.B. of Regulation 8170.7 and provide an update to the Board by the September 14 Regular Business Meeting.

d) Complete the Regulation 8170.7 process and provide a report with recommended action to the Board by October 2017. (Derenak Kaufax)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2017 05:10PM by Inquisitive One.

Posted by: Jiffy Pop or Orville ()
Date: July 27, 2017 05:07PM

The fun starts at 7pm with the citizen speakers, then moves on to voting about 8pm.

Posted by: get ready ()
Date: July 27, 2017 05:33PM

I think Koufax's motion is because she knows that Lee will be next--and she does not want it.
She also knows--as indicated in the FOIA'd documents that this was not handled properly.

Please note, in the FOIA'd documents, it was clear from the beginning that Stuart AND Lee were the goals.

The "carefully crafted" statement about no other redeeming qualities for Jeb Stuart is weird. Do they really think he was the devil?

So, open your pocketbooks and get ready for more crowded classrooms. $$$ will start flowing for renaming. What a mess.

Posted by: ziggy stardust ()
Date: July 27, 2017 05:36PM

prognosticating here - the TDK motion will pass with 2 dissents (Hynes and McElveen)... Strauss knows the original motion is beat. Palchik will express dismay but yield to the inevitable. Lots of lamenting but everyone will breathe a big sigh of relief.

Now, who got to TDK and initiated this very reasonable motion?!?

Posted by: they need to listen ()
Date: July 27, 2017 05:43PM

ziggy stardust Wrote:
> prognosticating here - the TDK motion will pass
> with 2 dissents (Hynes and McElveen)... Strauss
> knows the original motion is beat. Palchik will
> express dismay but yield to the inevitable. Lots
> of lamenting but everyone will breathe a big sigh
> of relief.
>
> Now, who got to TDK and initiated this very
> reasonable motion?!?

I watched the workshop. It was a mess. Evans will support the original motion, as will Hynes. I think Moon was scared about the legal issues--and the Asian community does not want to waste the money on a name change. He also does not want a divided Board (at least that is what he said). They don't count Schultz as part of a "divided" Board--they don't care what she does. They clearly do not listen to anything she says--and lots of what she says makes sense.
Corbett-Sanders understands the issue and would like the name change, I think--but she has sense enough to know that the Board did not execute this thing properly.

The FOIA which shows Evans bringing in outsiders is pretty damning. I'm pretty sure that goes against the reg--or, at least, the spirit of it.

If they had not demonized the people who wanted to keep the name--which is most of the community--they might have achieved something.

These people need to learn about others--not just their own choir.
Stacking the speakers at meetings doesn't help, either.

Posted by: please explain ()
Date: July 27, 2017 05:45PM

ziggy stardust Wrote:
> prognosticating here - the TDK motion will pass
> with 2 dissents (Hynes and McElveen)... Strauss
> knows the original motion is beat. Palchik will
> express dismay but yield to the inevitable. Lots
> of lamenting but everyone will breathe a big sigh
> of relief.
>
> Now, who got to TDK and initiated this very
> reasonable motion?!?

I'm not sure I understand her motion. Could you explain the goal of it? Other than delay?

Posted by: ()()()()()()() ()
Date: July 27, 2017 06:35PM

I have Verizon fios. What channel?

Date: July 27, 2017 06:42PM

Seems to me she is trying to relieve the Board of the pressure to change the name. Reg 8170.7 requires an extensive study and review with the community that was not done in this instance - looks bad for the Board to ignore it's own principles and policies - kinda "Trumpish"or "Obamaish" depending on your political persuasion. In any event, it is unconscionable and the Board of Supervisors and many concerned citizens are watching this bewildering fiasco and wondering if putting FCPS back under the BOS isn't the right thing to do....

Evans and Hynes have really queered the process with Hynes possibly subject to sanction for going on record as requesting the public's business be conducted away from FOIA - this is not in keeping with professed Board principles.

It's unfortunate and cowardly that they are dumping this on Brabrand as he just arrived. I expect the October deadline will be pushed back even further and this will simmer for a long time. The boosters will order uniforms with Stuart and the maintenance will be done to slowly diminish JEB and the NAACP will move on (hopefully). The community will slowly heal and Evans and Hynes will be voted out in 2019 (again, hopefully).

So this is a way to punt the issue to the future, reassert that the Board is subject to it's own regulations, involve Staff (to absorb blame in the future), and see if there really is community support (I don't expect that there is),and wait to see if the County gets involved in the whole renaming issue.

It's a cop-out but the best thing that can happen at this point.

Posted by: Jiffy Pop ()
Date: July 27, 2017 07:08PM

Here we go.........They are late.

Posted by: jfhrirhdujdj ()
Date: July 27, 2017 07:31PM

I liked the Army officer. Black, articulate, very sharp.

Posted by: fuckddd ()
Date: July 27, 2017 07:41PM

why only 10 people are allowed to speak?

Posted by: black guy is smart for once ()
Date: July 27, 2017 07:42PM

I CANT BELIVE IM SAYING THIS BUT I LOVE THAT NIGGER THAT WAS SPEAKING HE WAS SMART, I BET HIS HALF WHITE

Posted by: you're an idiot ()
Date: July 27, 2017 07:46PM

black guy is smart for once Wrote:
> I CANT BELIVE IM SAYING THIS BUT I LOVE THAT
> NIGGER THAT WAS SPEAKING HE WAS SMART, I BET HIS
> HALF WHITE

He is smart. Too bad you're a fucking moron!
belive - believe?
his - he's?

Posted by: Because....... ()
Date: July 27, 2017 08:06PM

fuckddd Wrote:
> why only 10 people are allowed to speak?

You have to draw the line somewhere or this would go on all night, all weekend, all summer. I liked the video with the horses.

Posted by: ifjhfhuu ()
Date: July 27, 2017 08:49PM

Schultz is fabulous. Follow the policy. That is our job.

Date: July 27, 2017 08:52PM

Give credit to Derenak-Kaufax and McLaughlin for drafting the alternate motion, and for passionate and errudite defense of process and principles.

Date: July 27, 2017 08:55PM

"erudite" - I should know how to spell it if I use it...

Palchik can't understand the arguments for good governance. She's a classic liberal in her belief that emotion and passion should rule - formal procedures and regulations be damned. It's embarrassing that she's a TJ grad...

Sunshine laws don't work if Hynes advocates for removing discussions from FOIA.

Posted by: @@@@@@@ ()
Date: July 27, 2017 09:16PM

Palchik is clueless.
Wilson is painful but finally pointed out that the process was not followed.
Braband says he does not have enough information.

Posted by: BEST YET ()
Date: July 27, 2017 09:21PM

Corbett Sanders "gets" it. She understands.

Posted by: NX6TN ()
Date: July 27, 2017 09:22PM

The name of the school has nothing to do what goes on inside the school.

Sticks and Stones!

Spending time and money to change a school name to appease a bunch of snowflakes is a bad idea.

Use the money to help educate the kids or improve another school in the area.

Thank god my youngest is out of FCPS now. I just need to move before this crap and the imploding school system causes the property value to take a dive.

Posted by: 675853 ()
Date: July 27, 2017 09:29PM

BEST YET Wrote:
> Corbett Sanders "gets" it. She understands.

The kids who went to Groveton, of which she was one, basically had the rug pulled out from under them with the name change. The community is still reeling from it, she says. You feel like a part of your life has been taken away from you.

Posted by: Needs to know ()
Date: July 27, 2017 09:33PM

Was the name changed?

Posted by: 746536778 ()
Date: July 27, 2017 09:37PM

Needs to know Wrote:
> Was the name changed?

Groveton was changed. They have not voted on Stuart yet.

Posted by: they are going to change it ()
Date: July 27, 2017 09:41PM

Hope they are lawyered up

Posted by: 3536477 ()
Date: July 27, 2017 09:41PM

Oh God Moon is trying to speak.

Date: July 27, 2017 09:45PM

the TDK motion failed 5 - 6

so, it looks like the main motion (Evans/Hynes) will pass 6 - 5

This is a disasterous outcome - a complete rejection of the rule of law...

Posted by: they are going to change it ()
Date: July 27, 2017 09:50PM

ziggy stardust Wrote:
> the TDK motion failed 5 - 6
>
> so, it looks like the main motion (Evans/Hynes)
> will pass 6 - 5
>
> This is a disasterous outcome - a complete
> rejection of the rule of law...

Lee is next. $$$$$$$$$$$ don't complain about class size. This is going to be millions and millions.

Posted by: Bruin dad 2 ()
Date: July 27, 2017 09:50PM

Did they address the scandal at Lake Braddock that they have whitewashed? Or just talk about a Civil War general?

Posted by: hollywood PRODUCER ()
Date: July 27, 2017 09:55PM

Wow, the Hollywood Academy Award winning producer will not raise money unless he approves of the new name. I think in the video he indicated it should be a civil rights activist or something.

Posted by: 703.Newbie ()
Date: July 27, 2017 09:59PM

What is the problem with Groveton? Sorry, I recently moved here...

Posted by: NoGroveton ()
Date: July 27, 2017 10:05PM

Gen. Chester P. Groveton was a slave-owner and Confederate soldier.....so the name had to go.

Posted by: every single name ()
Date: July 27, 2017 10:10PM

Almost every name in Fairfax County has something to do with slaveowners. Much of the property was plantation.

What a mess.

Our SchoolBoard is New Jersey South.

Date: July 27, 2017 10:10PM

give McElveen his due - he's willing to stand on his principles and take the consequences (i.e. losing his seat at the next election). That's commendable.

Posted by: New Jersey south ()
Date: July 27, 2017 10:17PM

What do you mean this board is like new jersey south?

Date: July 27, 2017 10:24PM

NJ south - i.e. Trenton - see the debacle of wasting $100M given by Zuckerberg to improve public education - all to no effect...

It's the poster child of poor governance, lack of accountability, lack of transparency, liberal, do-gooder ambitions that are completely divorced from reality.

re: this FCPS Board action...

Posted by: good response ()
Date: July 27, 2017 10:34PM

ziggy stardust Wrote:
> NJ south - i.e. Trenton - see the debacle of
> wasting $100M given by Zuckerberg to improve
> public education - all to no effect...
>
> It's the poster child of poor governance, lack of
> accountability, lack of transparency, liberal,
> do-gooder ambitions that are completely divorced
> from reality.
>
> re: this FCPS Board action...

good response--but what I really meant is that these people do not understand Virginia history --they do not understand that the Civil War is a complicated issue with people from the South.

Posted by: 67CNU ()
Date: July 27, 2017 10:36PM

Oprah Winfrey or Barack Obama High School would be a great name.

Time to change the name of Thomas Jefferson next. Oh, wait, lets not change Thomas Jefferson's name, while he owned slaves, he also slept with the wenches and father children. So Old TJ was a man before his time!

What a crock of crap, a bunch of farm animals follow the leader.

Maybe the should name a school after Moon and it can be the host the Korean Immersion Program.

Posted by: Dead liberals--August 12th ()
Date: July 27, 2017 10:41PM

Attachments:
1498712006904.jpg
DFYWcdMUQAMUCyJ.jpg-small

Date: July 27, 2017 10:44PM

What happens if, when the community is surveyed, that the community chooses to retain JEB Stuart? Given that approximately 25% of the current students have been surveyed, and that approximately 35% of them indicated they would like to change the name, that's only 8%...

It's a very real possibility that there's not "sufficient" support to change the name.

KCS will vote for this motion!! "come together with Stuart HS"...

Posted by: Teacher ()
Date: July 27, 2017 10:44PM

Did they talk about the frozen salaries tonight?

Date: July 27, 2017 10:46PM

here we go.... down the rabbit hole!

Posted by: Billy.T.Sherman ()
Date: July 27, 2017 11:26PM

Not replace you?

Bitch, I scorched your ass from Atlanta to Savannah and the Confederacy could not stop me. Sorry you lost. Sorry you're still butt-hurt about it. Perhaps you should move out of the US since you're so unhappy here.

Slaving, loser traitors...and that's all you will ever be.

Posted by: General Sherman ()
Date: July 27, 2017 11:42PM

Billy.T.Sherman Wrote:
> Not replace you?
>
> Bitch, I scorched your ass from Atlanta to
> Savannah and the Confederacy could not stop me.
> Sorry you lost. Sorry you're still butt-hurt about
> it. Perhaps you should move out of the US since
> you're so unhappy here.
>
> Slaving, loser traitors...and that's all you will
> ever be.

General William Tecumseh Sherman

Remember me deep south ..I know you will.

Posted by: Agree to disagree ()
Date: July 27, 2017 11:48PM

ziggy stardust Wrote:
> give McElveen his due - he's willing to stand on
> his principles and take the consequences (i.e.
> losing his seat at the next election). That's
> commendable.

Can't do that, not me. McElveen is the one who said he studied minutes for the better part of a summer and Woodson named Robert E Lee and Jeb Stuart respectively. That never happened...Lee was named for the Lee district and tons of articles spoke to that. He's a think tank guy???? Seriously.

When Lee was renamed it was long after Woodson's retirement. Why not be a little careful before you step in and destroy someone's reputation?

Besides Woodson didn't name Stuart not could he vote...as Superintendent he is asked for suggestions on occasion...he did suggest Madison when asked, but never mentioned Stuart, EVER.

So McElveen has zero credibility in my book.

Posted by: Refugee ()
Date: July 28, 2017 12:04AM

Which is worse when it comes to erasing history, ISIS or liberal democrats?

Posted by: It's like it never happened!!!!! ()
Date: July 28, 2017 12:10AM

Refugee Wrote:
> Which is worse when it comes to erasing history,
> ISIS or liberal democrats?
Attachments:
file-4.jpeg

Posted by: How Soon ()
Date: July 28, 2017 12:10AM

How soon are the minutes posted for review of the meeting available on line....a couple of weeks? Curious since they live stream why it takes so long?

Which is worse when it comes to erasing history, ISIS or liberal democrats?

Six of one, half dozen of another. Seriously if you want history, EXPAND it, don't eradicate it.

Posted by: deryngddvgbb ()
Date: July 28, 2017 09:23PM

703.Newbie Wrote:
> What is the problem with Groveton? Sorry, I
> recently moved here...

Groveton was renamed West Potomac back in the 80's when they closed Ft. Hunt and merged the schools.

Posted by: inappropriate ()
Date: July 28, 2017 09:49PM

Agree to disagree Wrote:
> ziggy stardust Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > give McElveen his due - he's willing to stand
> on
> > his principles and take the consequences (i.e.
> > losing his seat at the next election). That's
> > commendable.
>
>
>
> Can't do that, not me. McElveen is the one who
> said he studied minutes for the better part of a
> summer and Woodson named Robert E Lee and Jeb
> Stuart respectively. That never happened...Lee was
> named for the Lee district and tons of articles
> spoke to that. He's a think tank guy????
> Seriously.
>
> When Lee was renamed it was long after Woodson's
> retirement. Why not be a little careful before you
> step in and destroy someone's reputation?
>
> Besides Woodson didn't name Stuart not could he
> vote...as Superintendent he is asked for
> suggestions on occasion...he did suggest Madison
> when asked, but never mentioned Stuart, EVER.
>
> So McElveen has zero credibility in my book.

According to the documents on FOIA, there is no evidence that these schools were named out of "massive resistance."
McElveen's self-righteous comment about how it wasn't appropriate then shows how little he knows about mid-20th century Virginia. It may have been insensitive--but it was not racist. Virginians were proud of their ancestors. It may have been thoughtless, but it was not mean-spirited.
If you want "mean spirited" it is the accusations that School Board members last night lobbed against Woodson and others long gone.

In one of the FOIA documents, one of the members indicated that they had reason to believe the name was chosen out of "massive resistance". I think it was Hynes. Later, someone posted evidence that she had researched the minutes and found that it was not selected in that manner.

However, never let a good lie go to waste.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.