HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Cox Cable
Posted by: Janz ()
Date: November 10, 2006 02:02PM

I heard that Cox Cable is going entirely digital in 2007. Does this mean I will be forced to buy digital cable service next year? Maybe it's time to go satellite. Ugh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cox Cable
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 10, 2006 03:43PM

i dont buy it. while yes, there is a federal law for it, they have constantly been getting extensions because it's "unreasonable" time frame that they "cant" make. why go digital when they can keep bleeding use for half digital half analog? when they go digital and the cabelcard is mandated, that will be the end of the tyranny, at least for me. well, actually $40 for internet service is insane and for that, i use all the bandwidth i can.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: November 10, 2006 03:58PM

I have HDTV from Cocks and only about 10 or so channels are in HD format even though they are 1080 quality. I wish the boxes they gave had HDMI outputs so that you could get the best quality hookup instead of the composite.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: November 10, 2006 06:49PM

I think the digital requirement is for broadcast. Most cable channels are dragging their feet on HDTV because so few people watch shit like Andy Griffith on TV Land and Flip this House.

Posted by: T-Bone©®™ ()
Date: November 13, 2006 02:38PM

Mofo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have HDTV from Cocks and only about 10 or so
> channels are in HD format even though they are
> 1080 quality. I wish the boxes they gave had HDMI
> outputs so that you could get the best quality
> hookup instead of the composite.

"Cocks" as you call it, I will not disagree ;-) does NOT broadcast TRUE 1080 i or p. It is upscaled. Also the DVR box DOES have HDMI connections. I had it before I went to FiOS.

Oh and Gravis,,, I pay 55 bucks for 30megs down and 5megs up =D

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: November 13, 2006 05:09PM

Get the 8300 HD/DVR receiver and it has HDMI output..... You just dont ask....otherwise you would have known this.

Date: November 13, 2006 06:40PM

I donno why everyone hates on Cox....there are problems yes. but just remmember the cable lines, barrels,splitters are 30 years old in your house..........The system works fine.....Just have cox come out and check out your house lines...thats where the problem is......and renew it if needed...get csap for $3 a month and everything will be replaced in and out......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2006 10:11PM by Firrat.

Date: November 13, 2006 06:48PM

Hmm well I don't have a flippin DVR but I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250 HD which only has a DVI out. Now my HDTV has a RGB in and a HDMI in. Currently it is connected by competent. But if I put a DVI-RGB converter on it to convert it would it negate all quality being it was converting digital to analog? Not to mention the RGB slot is being used by my PC input. I know a DVI input is preferred obviously but when I got this LCD tv it was had the most features in the price range and HDMI is phasing out DVI anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2006 06:51PM by Mofo.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: November 13, 2006 06:56PM

Mofo - why not just use a DVI to HDMI cable? Don't you have audio jacks on that input?

Date: November 13, 2006 10:53PM

I never thought of that. Pretty good idea. Makes me want to ditch my DVI/VGA converter I'm using from my video card and turn that to DVI thought instead of the cable box. The quality from both is still quite high in the current configuration. Yes I have a Samsung LCD 32'' 1080i Above the HDMI it says HDMI/DVI input and has DVI audio next to it (which is weird since HDMI carries audio) but works perfectly for converting a DVI signal and still carrying the L R audio.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: November 14, 2006 12:03AM

Firrat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...splitters are 30 years old in your
> house..........The system works fine.....Just have
> cox come out and check out your house
> lines...thats where the problem is......and renew
> it if needed...get csap for $3 a month and
> everything will be replaced in and out......

Funny you should mention this. Two weeks ago I had no picture on 705 or 709 (Fox and CBS HD). Cox technician came out and diagnosed the problem as old wiring that was not really designed to carry the HD signal. As a quick fix he replaced the splitter just inside my basement and the problem went away. Of course, he inadvertently disconnected my high speed which took me about an hour to fix.

Does Cox have an inside wiring plan similar to Verizon for telephone? I would like to update everything from the house connection to my TVs and modem when I renovate my basement, but don't want to pay $200-300 for the service.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: November 14, 2006 11:03PM

If you are going to be renovating your basement (i.e. removing drywall) then if you know some stuff about electricity you can do it yourself.

Date: November 15, 2006 11:40PM

Yes the plan is called C-sap....if you have any problems with a line cox replaces it....

you pay $3 a month rather than a huge fee....and this covers all coax cable in the house.....

Date: November 15, 2006 11:48PM

yes Doing it yourself is alot cheaper.....buy good cable...make sure the dialectric is not made out of cheap phome...Buy RG-6 cable.....67.25mhz 100ft sgnal loss = 1.6Db's 865.25Mhz 100ft signal loss = 6dB ish.......Signal loss is very important.....the quality is also important it will cause errors and alot of Noise in the cable causing Tiling.....Not enough signal will also cause tiling or black screen.....

Have a cox tech come and make the fittings for you.....Make sure the dialectric is white rather than clear cheap plastic.......

LOl @ verizon fiber to the house......Imagine the fiber line came down and it had to be replaced.....think of how much it would cost to get it replaced......

Splicing it means hours of labor and waiting.......which would cost more.......

Posted by: Enough already ()
Date: August 26, 2020 01:03PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.