HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New Eagle View principal?
Posted by: 1234 ()
Date: July 12, 2017 04:51PM

Anyone know who will be replacing Patty Granada at Eagle View?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Eagle View principal?
Posted by: Answertoquestion1 ()
Date: July 16, 2017 05:01AM

Kanchana Iyer...

She worked with Marie Lemmon at Mount Vernon Woods Elementary then went to two other schools as an assistant Principal before becoming a principal. Mrs. Iyer joned Coates Elementary in 2013. According to the letter parents received....She started her career in FCPS as a Kindergarten IA and then was an ESOL teacher for 10 years. She then transitioned into central office and worked for the Office of Language Acquisition/Title I for 5 years before becoming an Assistant Principal. Mrs. Iyer graduated from George Mason University with an undergraduate degree in English. She then obtained her masters in Education/ESOL from Marymount University and an endorsement in Administration/Supervision from the University of Virginia. Mrs. Iyer has two kids, a 5th grade daughter and an 11th grade son. Her husband coaches basketball and her kids are avid basketball players! They love to travel as a family, especially the beach.

Posted by: baffle ()
Date: July 16, 2017 10:27PM

I think that Kanchana Iyer can actually help assist the teachers at Eagle View recover from the lack of ESOL programming and compliance issues. I feel sorry for her because she is coming after Patty Granada. This is just like when Marie Lemmon left Mount Vernon Woods (which was failing) to become the Principal at Baileys Elementary School then Dr. Pam Simpkins came in afterwards to recuse the sinking boat but it failed.
Attachments:
Iyer.jpg

Posted by: bk2551nh ()
Date: July 20, 2017 10:59PM

Kanchana Iyer was named principal of Eagle View Elementary School, effective July 24. Iyer currently serves as assistant principal of Lutie Lewis Coates Elementary. A 23-year veteran educator with Fairfax County Public Schools, Iyer began her career as an instructional assistant in a kindergarten class. She later served as an English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) teacher at Forestdale, Lynbrook, and Camelot Elementary Schools and was the lead ESOL teacher at Colin Powell and Colvin Run Elementary Schools. She has also worked in the Office of Language Acquisition and Title 1 as well as a school-based administrator, including administrative intern at Dogwood Elementary, acting assistant principal at Westbriar and Lake Anne Elementary Schools, and assistant principal at Mount Vernon Woods and Lutie Lewis Coates, where she currently serves. She is an experienced leader who has led the implementation of reading-writing workshop as well as guided math and math workshop. She earned a bachelor of arts from George Mason University and a master of education degree from Marymount University. She holds an administrative endorsement from the University of Virginia.

Posted by: ttenda ()
Date: July 23, 2017 11:17PM

FCPS knows how to make a story look like it something else. Mrs. Granada shared how she was going to stay at Eagle View until she retired but then the investigations started against her and Mrs. Edwards (Special Education Assistant Principal) who retired on February 3rd 2017.

Now Granada still gets to keep her job? I guess being a principal is very political but it is really true that she is moving to Greenbriar West Elementary School.

Patty Granada is GONE FROM EAGLE VIEW!!! This is great news!

Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye!!!
Attachments:
pattygranada.jpg

Posted by: Coates star ()
Date: July 24, 2017 07:32AM

As someone who has worked with Mrs.Iyer, this is a great hire for Eagle View. She is super at dealing with difficult personalities which there were plenty I saw her work with firsthand. She wants what's best for the kids and I can't think of anyone more deserving.

Posted by: manuela ()
Date: July 24, 2017 07:42AM

Since this is Fairfax county, I can only guess that the Hispanic population at this school is very high, and many of these kids' parents are here illegally.
But it's o.k, taxpayers can afford to educate and feed their children.

Posted by: Try ()
Date: July 26, 2017 04:28PM

Try

Posted by: Briarwood ()
Date: August 01, 2017 12:06AM

I am white and I just have to say this :(

Once again the Fairfax County School Board appoints a Principal that doesn't reflect the student population. Ms. Kanchana Iyer is the new principal at Eagle View and she has a lot of work to do because of the mess that was left behind.

The former principal, Patty Granada, specifically targeted individual teachers for years given the punitive measures that were sometimes solely prompted by personality conflicts. She is a covert racist and it was disguised and subtle. For a long time it was unnoticeable but eventually the seemingly passive methods got noticed.

I am not surprised that Patty Granada still has a job after all that happened at Eagle View. Did she learn her lesson? Only time will tell
Attachments:
greenbriarwestesnewprincipal.jpg

Posted by: The worse ones never go away ()
Date: August 02, 2017 10:58PM

If anyone thinks that these difficult principals or vice principals go away they are crazy. They are just moved to another school to create a new toxic environment. Just check out other schools on here. For example, Eagle View is close to Fairfax Villa and now The Villa is a mess.

Patty does down the street to Greenbaiar and life goes on.

TOo bad we were not just good as recycling the rest of the junk in our life as we do with administrators in FCPS.

Posted by: Justfoundout ()
Date: August 03, 2017 11:10PM

Yes--but a principal's job is to boost morale and motivate! A principal has power too---which changes the dynamics! While it is true that schools need effective leadership, and a weak or incompetent principal is hell on morale, the office that controls the climate, especially climate, is the superintendent's.

Eagle View Principal (Patty) had to move due to complaints and a few lawsuits.

A few years ago Laurel Hill Elementary School had the entire administrative team turnover because of the work morale was very low & legal complaints.

Lynbrook Principal had to retire due to low academic achievement for years

Whitman Middle School Principal was moved to central office then the replacement died from a heart attack.

Willow Springs Principal had to retire due to complaints from employees.

Posted by: Meghan ()
Date: August 04, 2017 12:00AM

Principal's set the tone......

I see the influence of a principal every day for I engage in the culture of different schools all across the country through the IEP / 504 Plan process. And there's no cultural-barometer unlike these meetings; one gets a true sense of a school's character, culture, and tone through an IEP meeting. So here's the pattern from my perspective: Like in any organization or business, 20% of the personnel are truly gifted; and their efforts shine no matter who is their boss. Another 20% of a staff are pushing the edge toward incompetence, or are misplaced in their career. This is common to business, organizations, and also within schools. So that leaves 60% of the personnel in the middle; and the influence of leadership can sway this group toward excellence or incompetence. And in the case of school administration, an effective principal is able to guide the team through infectious attitide (positive), professional development resources, and developing collegial relationships. When these things happen, the school flourishes. And the 60% moves toward the extraordinary 20%. Funny thing that happens in this process, the other 20%, either quits, moves on to another school through transfer, or becomes part of the 60%. So, it's so true, principals make a difference. Big time!

Posted by: vc03 ()
Date: August 24, 2017 10:30PM

The former Principal Lori Cleveland did set the dates of the open houses at Greenbriar West Elementary School to help the new principal from Eagle View (Patty Granada).

The proof is here: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/VAEDUFCPS/bulletins/1a43fc7

Below is the message from Patty Granada

Principal's Message

Dear Greenbriar West Families, 

As the new principal of Greenbriar West, I wanted to reach out to you and let you know how excited I am to be part of the GBW community.  While I have worked in education for 27 years, my more recent work was at GBW as a teacher (2003-2005), then as assistant principal at GBW (2005-2007).  From GBW I went to Centre Ridge ES where I served as assistant principal (2007-2009), then went on to become the proud principal at Eagle View ES for eight years. 

As we were closing out this past school year, I was fortunate to begin meeting with GBW staff and get a sense of all the amazing teaching and learning at GBW.  Now, after a recent trip out west with my husband and kids, I am so glad to be starting at GBW.  I look forward to leading and serving the excellent school that my mentor, colleague, and friend Dr. Cleveland so successfully led and served for the past twelve years. 

I invite students and parents to informal opportunities for us to get to know one another better.  You are invited to come to the big playground on Tuesday, July 25, anytime between 8:30 and 10:00 a.m. (I chose an early time so it wouldn’t be too hot.); or on Monday, July 31, between 4:00 and 5:30 p.m. in the gym.  If you are unable to attend, then I shall look forward to meeting GBW families at Open House and as the school year begins. 

Mark your calendars for the Open House on Thursday, August 24!  More information will be sent out in August.  In the meantime, I hope you are enjoying summer.

Sincerely,
Patricia A. Granada, Ed.D.
Principal, Greenbriar West

Posted by: helenkeller2 ()
Date: August 30, 2017 08:40PM

Wow! I can get this off my chest!!!

Patty and Sandy got in trouble because they didn't know the difference between Equity and Equality....

I heard that the lead special education CSS teacher tried to make changes so no racial and ethnic disparities in the school instructional programming would exist. However, because this teacher wanted to reduce racial disparities within the school by making changes with moving a classroom downstairs for the following year, creates two different safe spaces for students and so forth. But multiple people shared how Patty and Sandy pushed the him out of a job.

Several teachers shared that three female teachers on the special education CSS team were bullying this teacher and it did intensified. Patty and Sandy had known about the bullying beforehand and chosen to retain the bullies. All three white females still have jobs. The reality is that employers establish all conditions of work. It seemed like to be poorly skilled administrators, it is because of a dereliction of duty. The leadership team is responsible for all bullying! It would not happen without administrators' explicit or tacit approval. So, the teacher tired to hold their feet to the fire. Expose the bullies and demand changes (for the sake of the program & the students) but he lost his job.

So many people felt so bad for the guy because he went through hell. But this is their 6th resource teacher over the special education program within a ten year period. The special education assistant principal was asked to retire early due to investigations and complaints.

I am not surprised that Patty Granada still has a job after all the money the Fairfax County School Board has spent to get her out of the mess she created.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.