HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
WTF with people getting hit by trains??
Posted by: Darwin Was Right ()
Date: June 29, 2017 11:40AM

Three people in two days killed by trains? How fucking stupid can you be to get hit by a train? It's not like there are random trains wandering around looking for people to attack. Trains run on tracks. If you are walking on the tracks, there is a pretty fair possibility that you could get hit. If you're not walking on the tracks, there is an excellent possibility that you will not be killed by a train. It's really quite simple. What a fucking embarrassing way to go.

I heard that the two CSX employees were hit in a high speed zone, with a speed limit of 90 mph. 100 tons of passenger train going 90 mph can't leave much in the way of remains. Guess no open casket funeral for those two.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTF with people getting hit by trains??
Posted by: LIVE ON in the Afterlife ()
Date: June 29, 2017 12:54PM

I heard the AM train collided with the Freight train, that the 2 workers were to the side of a car when it happened. I guess the word crushed means they were crushed by a freight car falling on them (?)

If they were to the side of one car examining something between cars.This would explain why they didn't see it coming.

"The accident occurred about 1 1/2 miles northeast of Union Station, near Gallaudet University."

Ironic because they apparently didn't hear the train coming among other noises including traffic.
Passenger trains make less noise while moving than freight trains.

They were trying to address a warning light indicating a problem with an axle on one of the cars.

I actually know someone who works with one of the guys who was killed.

RIP

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/06/28/Two-killed-by-Amtrak-train-in-Washington-DC/3411498645926/

Posted by: naturalselection ()
Date: June 29, 2017 01:38PM

I expect no less. People are so fucking stupid, like forgetting you have a kid and leaving it the car to boil, WTF?

Posted by: 6LKTE ()
Date: June 29, 2017 03:20PM

It's one thing to be on or near the tracks because you are working. It's an entirely different thing to just be out sight-seeing on the damned tracks. When I was little, my dad taught me to stay off the tracks because I'm not a train. So I stay off the tracks.

Posted by: fracturedfairfax ()
Date: June 29, 2017 03:23PM

My theory is that it's the renaissance of passenger trains that's at least partially responsible. They're specifically made to run smoother and they're much lighter than freight trains. These two factors mean they run quieter, which means less warning for someone who's walking on the tracks.

If you're on the train tracks and you don't hear a train moving at 60 MPH until it's a half-mile away, you're in imminent mortal danger. You've got 30 seconds or less to take action to save your own life, which means getting the fuck off the train tracks.

And when I say off the tracks, I mean completely off the tracks. Don't step to the other track, because I know of at least two instances in Fairfax County where someone stepped off one track and was struck on the other.

Absolutely Nothing You Need to Know About Fairfax County

Fractured Fairfax

https://www.fracturedfairfax.com
Unnatural Deaths in Fairfax County Map

Posted by: A Sure Fix ()
Date: June 29, 2017 03:26PM

We need new laws to ban train tracks, and high capacity rail cars.

Posted by: Distracted Hiking ()
Date: June 29, 2017 03:32PM

I'm thinking we will soon hear the 13 yr old was probably texting, tweeting or on Facebook when she got splattered. That's about all these kids can think about or pay attention to any more. Forget the real world, give me my Twitter!

Posted by: Danger Zone ()
Date: June 29, 2017 03:52PM

Yes the one in Manassas .. the younger the sadder the incident.
RIP

Posted by: PUX6D ()
Date: June 29, 2017 04:00PM

She was with older kids who were exercising terrible judgement, and who could run faster then she could. She got kilt because they were on a bridge when the train came.

Posted by: No Stoping on a Dime ()
Date: June 29, 2017 06:11PM

^^ OMG, didn't know this.
I hope the parents at least did part of their job by telling them not to go near the tracks.

That really sucks.
I hope they weren't playing chicken as in how long can we stay on the bridge before we have to run off to avoid the train ...

Posted by: Darwin Was Right ()
Date: June 29, 2017 08:21PM

looks like she tried to outrun the train. The other two survived because they jumped the four or five feet to the other track. She wouldn't jump because she was afraid, so she tried to outrun the train. Bad decision on her part. My sympathies to those who were held up getting home that night.No sympathy to the chick that got hit that night. Stupid is stupid.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.