HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New Respect For Cycle Riders in Northern VA
Posted by: New Respect: ()
Date: June 27, 2017 09:21AM

The past few months, I've decided to get out and ride a bike again. Not the kind to don spandex or a tight shirt, just casual, but at a pretty fast pace. I ride between 10 and 15 miles/day.

Anyways, I've noticed most drivers are courteous, but some are downright goofy. Rude. Clowns.

I know we live in a "me-first" area, but I also know that cyclists and motorists share obligations to share the road. And while I travel mostly on trails, it's the road crossings - and when I am in marked crosswalks, with proper signaling, that's the worst. Some drivers are clueless.

Maybe clueless is being kind. Maybe they are intentional clowns? Whatever the case might be, it's changed my attitude to use greater caution for cyclists, as while I have not joined the ranks of the die-hard road warriors, I have been riding amongst them.

Anyways, just a few thoughts on perspective. And also, not all cyclists respect motorists, either. Seen that, too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Respect For Cycle Riders in Northern VA
Posted by: L9MHN ()
Date: June 27, 2017 09:39AM

You are obstructing traffic and putting yourself and others in danger by being on the roads on a child's toy. Every time a car has to cross over into the oncoming lane to get around you on your toy, you are endangering lives.

Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: June 27, 2017 10:18AM

We have this group of jackasses that ride up the back roads of Fairfax Station on their bikes in their cute little spandex outfits, that think they are badasses.. Riding 2 wide forcing you into oncoming traffic if you want to go around, flipping people off when they try. Just waiting for someone to get pissed and make them road pizza..

Posted by: skullmund.com ()
Date: June 27, 2017 10:24AM

theres an idiot that rides around mclean on one lane roads during rush hour. hes probably already been run over and im wasting my time posting this.

Posted by: retgdfg ()
Date: June 27, 2017 12:59PM

I want to get a bike, but I would never want to ride it on the road. I guess I would have to go to a trail. Is there an age limit for riding a bike on the sidewalk?

Posted by: Skinny Pete ()
Date: June 27, 2017 01:02PM

Why do car drivers stop at bicycle crosswalks when there are no bikes in the crosswalk? Where a bike trail crosses a road, bikes have the stop sign. There are so many stupid people on our roads!

Posted by: Share the Road Rules ()
Date: June 27, 2017 01:16PM

I'll start being courteous to cyclists when they start to act like responsible road users and obey all traffic signals.

I can't even count the number of times I've seen groups of cyclist in Reston blow right through stop signs and red lights.

I'm speaking directly of this group - https://restonbicycleclub.wildapricot.org/page-1238652

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: June 27, 2017 09:15PM

Skinny Pete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why do car drivers stop at bicycle crosswalks when
> there are no bikes in the crosswalk? Where a bike
> trail crosses a road, bikes have the stop sign.
> There are so many stupid people on our roads!

liberals dont make sense its all about feelings

Posted by: Dee ()
Date: June 28, 2017 09:05AM

Exactly, the cyclists have a stop sign crossing a roadway. Vehicles must stop once the cyclists enter the cross walk. But the cyclists is suppose to stop first and then proceed. Vehicles that stop early for cyclists are just encouraging bad behavior from the cyclists. Cyclists need to stop and then proceed with caution when in the cross walk.

Posted by: Dee ()
Date: June 28, 2017 09:05AM

Exactly, the cyclists have a stop sign crossing a roadway. Vehicles must stop once the cyclists enter the cross walk. But the cyclists is suppose to stop first and then proceed. Vehicles that stop early for cyclists are just encouraging bad behavior from the cyclists. Cyclists need to stop and then proceed with caution when in the cross walk.

Posted by: Ram em ()
Date: June 28, 2017 09:15AM

Another option is to just run over the biketards.

Posted by: Bobs Your Uncle ()
Date: June 28, 2017 11:32AM

The OP wrote he rides the trails.

W&OD, Custis, Four Mile and Mt. Vernon all have road crossings. Even those crossings with warning sign/lights and crosswalks are dangerous for cyclists because some drivers pay no attention.

I totally feel your frustration because it takes an additional 30 seconds to safely pass us and absolutely must get your kid to {choose your sport} practice or Costco before it closes.

All the OP wants is for drivers not to be jerks.

Posted by: NFMTF ()
Date: June 28, 2017 02:09PM

Bobs Your Uncle Wrote:
> The OP wrote he rides the trails.
>
>
>
> I totally feel your frustration because it takes
> an additional 30 seconds to safely pass us

That's the point, you prick - it is NEVER safe to cross into the oncoming traffic lane to pass bicyclists. Go use your toy in your driveway or yard and keep off the roads, which are designed for and used by cars.

Posted by: eXACTLY ()
Date: June 28, 2017 03:26PM

Share the Road Rules Wrote:
> I'll start being courteous to cyclists when they
> start to act like responsible road users and obey
> all traffic signals.
>
> I can't even count the number of times I've seen
> groups of cyclist in Reston blow right through
> stop signs and red lights.
>
> I'm speaking directly of this group -
> https://restonbicycleclub.wildapricot.org/page-123
> 8652

+1

Posted by: Corksoaker on rims ()
Date: June 29, 2017 12:11AM

This hapless corksoaker rides down Dranesville, Herndon Pkwy, and then, the W&OD to Vienna.

A) the vehicle has an electtic motor. It does not belong on the W&Od.
Attachments:
maxresdefault.jpg

Posted by: Corksoaker on rims ()
Date: June 29, 2017 04:03AM

and B) the electric "assist" is SO STRONG, the pedals are not really needed!

Is the ELF a bike??

I think not.

Posted by: True native ()
Date: June 29, 2017 01:00PM

Of course in a "me first" county like Fairfax cyclist will never have a chance . I personally give them all the way because if I hit them nothing happens to me in physical health but them I can kill . Driving a two ton motorized vehicle is no joke and it should be taking seriously

Posted by: Red Street Sign ()
Date: June 29, 2017 02:33PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.