HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Jim Larranaga speaks . . .
Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: October 21, 2009 12:10PM

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/columnists/article/WOOD21_20091020-222806/300625/

GMU’s Larranaga hit high point at lower level
Advertisement

Text size: small | medium | large

By Paul Woody

Published: October 21, 2009

WASHINGTON When Jim Larranaga lists the reasons he stays at George Mason University to coach men's basketball instead of heading for a bigger program in a higher-profile conference, GMU's on-campus cuisine makes the cut.

"We have a new cafeteria that is the most incredible eating facility you've ever seen on a college campus," Larranaga said. "You walk in, pay one price and there's a salad bar, a fruit bar, a hamburger and hot dog grill, a pizza place, wraps. It's got a cappuccino machine.

"My wife and I went there for Sunday brunch, and they not only serve omelets, they make them right there."

Any coach worth his sales pitch will extol the quality of his school's dining services. Not just any coach actually will dine there, much less take his wife there for Sunday brunch.

Larranaga is not just the basketball coach at GMU. He is entering his 13th season at the Northern Virginia school and has become as much a part of the landscape as the meticulously manicured lawns and the flora and fauna he will wax eloquently about if given the chance.

Larranaga has become a role model for young coaches and even not-so-young coaches who bemoan their mid-major fate.

It is possible to attain the highest success -- reach the Final Four -- at a mid-major program. It is possible to work in a place where the mission of the college coincides with that of the basketball coach.

And if you find that place, you should be circumspect about leaving. The money might be better, the path to the NCAA tournament might seem easier, but what seems bigger and better often is a program fraught with problems and perils and headed nowhere, no matter who is its coach.

"There are coaches who want to climb the ladder as fast as they can, get to the ACC or Big East, the highest level they can, so they can make a lot of money and compete against the best," Larranaga said.

"For many years, I felt that was the direction I felt I wanted to go in as well. But as you get older, as you get more years behind you than you have in front of you, your thoughts change a little. And right now, I'm very, very happy with where I am."

No one should doubt that Larranaga could field competitive teams in the ACC, Big East or Big Ten. He knows the X's and O's of coaching. He's proved he can develop unsung players in the Colonial Athletic Association.

Give him the prestige and influence of the ACC, and he could bring in Top 100 players every year.

Bigger schools have inquired. Larranaga has remained in his little corner of the world, a corner he helped expand with a Final Four appearance in 2006 and with a program that consistently ranks among the CAA's best.

"You have to list the categories of the things that are most important to you." Larranaga said. "I know there are a lot of professionals whose goal is to make as much money as they can. I don't happen to be one of those guys.

"It's not that I don't want to make a lot of money. It's just not been a major motivating factor."

Larranaga earns close to $600,000 per year at George Mason, about three times what he earned when he began coaching the Patriots. His current salary is about half of what many coaches earn in the ACC and other power conferences.

"There are some things far more important to me -- being successful, being happy, being comfortable, being appreciated," Larranaga said. "A lot of intangible things are more important to me than some tangible things."

The challenge in a profession as competitive, some will say cutthroat, as college basketball is to be a secure person in an insecure world.

It would be difficult to find a coach more secure than Larranaga. And his security does not come from money, fame or adulation. It comes because he knows who he is and has found a spot where the fit is almost perfect.

Larranaga knows what many of his colleagues need to learn. There are many ways to win as a college basketball coach. Not all are on the court.

Contact Paul Woody at (804) 649-6444 or pwoody@timesdispatch.com.

Post a Comment
(Requires free registration)

Please avoid offensive, vulgar, or hateful language.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jim Larranaga speaks . . .
Posted by: hop ()
Date: October 21, 2009 12:32PM

man has class

Posted by: Porksta ()
Date: October 21, 2009 12:35PM

He is staying because he likes the food? He really needs to try looking at other schools. I am a student at GMU and I can say the food here isn't really all that good.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: October 21, 2009 12:43PM

hop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> man has class

+1

Class act.

Posted by: TefD187 ()
Date: October 21, 2009 12:46PM

mason is gonna be decent this year.make it into the tourney def.

Date: October 21, 2009 12:47PM

Perhaps he likes the 24 hour Starbucks.

Does anyone actually go there at 3:30 a.m.?

Porksta Wrote:
> He is staying because he likes the food? He
> really needs to try looking at other schools. I
> am a student at GMU and I can say the food here
> isn't really all that good.

Posted by: Eastsider ()
Date: October 21, 2009 12:58PM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
> Perhaps he likes the 24 hour Starbucks.
>
> Does anyone actually go there at 3:30 a.m.?
>
>

Nope. At that hour, people in Northern Virginia prefer to make their coffee at home, in the nude.

Posted by: dono ()
Date: October 21, 2009 01:25PM

"...they have omelets - they make them there!"

so much better than the box-lunch-omelets...

Posted by: bolano ()
Date: October 21, 2009 01:50PM

They're not a lock for the ncaa Tef, Old Dominion is favored to win the CAA with all 5 returning starters and despite people saying the CAA is very talented this year, they'll field 2 teams if lucky.

They have a good shot, but not a lock.

Posted by: J-Dawg ()
Date: October 21, 2009 02:04PM

Next year when this great freshmen recruting class are sophomores will be GMU's great season. This year will be a little rough with 7 freshmen, 4 sophomores, 2 juniors, and only one returning senior. Lookout for Cam Long and mike morrison this season though..should be fun to watch.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: October 21, 2009 08:08PM

Porksta Wrote:
> He is staying because he likes the food? He
> really needs to try looking at other schools. I
> am a student at GMU and I can say the food here
> isn't really all that good.

I think he meant that he likes Bernie's Deli...I see him in there often.

Posted by: NOVA ()
Date: October 21, 2009 08:50PM

Larranaga - best thing that ever happened to Mason

Date: October 21, 2009 09:07PM

Bernie's is fantastic.

Bernie's is closed on Sundays. Bernie was an educational pioneer himself at the Univesity of Massachusetts in Amherst. Get him to tell you why sometime.

tubby Wrote:
> Porksta Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He is staying because he likes the food? He
> > really needs to try looking at other schools.
> I
> > am a student at GMU and I can say the food here
> > isn't really all that good.
>
> I think he meant that he likes Bernie's Deli...I
> see him in there often.

Date: October 21, 2009 09:08PM

Agreed. What is the second best thing?

I vote for the 24 hour Starbucks.

NOVA Wrote:
> Larranaga - best thing that ever happened to Mason

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: October 22, 2009 08:42PM

Larranaga also knows he has job security on a Joe Paterno level. Why would he leave the Mason job to coach at some basketball weakling in a major conference?

Posted by: TX Swede ()
Date: April 22, 2011 11:43AM

Coach Larranaga is leaving now for a "basketball weakling in a major conference". Money talks, in the end, no matter how much "class" a coach has. It is a sad world where $600,000+ per year, until HE decides to retire, is not "enough".

Tough to turn down a $700,000 raise, but I do not think this is going to turn out well for Coach Larranaga. He will finish his career as the loser who coaches the second-tier basketball program at an all-football school. Maybe the assistants he takes with him will benefit, but this will hurt Larranaga's reputation in the long run.

Posted by: Mason Nation ()
Date: April 22, 2011 12:03PM

No matter what a coach says, they are ultra competitive and want to compete at the highest level. Look at all the college coaches that leave for the NBA. Sure, the pay increase is substantial for most of them, but they also want to know if they can succeed at the highest level.

Yes, Miami is a "weakling" but it is a weakling in the ACC, which for decades has been widely regarded as the best conference. Perhaps I am naive, but I think if he leaves, it will be for that challenge not just the $.

Posted by: money talks ()
Date: April 22, 2011 12:31PM

Mason Nation Wrote:
> I think if he leaves, it will be for
> that challenge not just the $.

Don't kid yourself, it is all about the money, for both him and his staff. Now that Mason's President announced his retirement the gravy train is drying up.

kinda sad, I thought Coach L had more class than this.

Posted by: Mason Nation ()
Date: April 22, 2011 12:40PM

That is really dissapointing. However, he was here for 13 years and took the school on a run that most people literally never thought was possible.

The reality is that schools like GMU have been, and always will be, stepping stones for coaches. Sure, they might turn down offers from other schools(Shaka Smart) but at some point they will always leave for greener pastures. That's just the way it works.

I hope at some point they do something to honor him...maybe name the court after him?

Posted by: yadah yadah yadah ()
Date: April 22, 2011 12:44PM

yada yada yada
Attachments:
troll.jpg

Posted by: mike ()
Date: April 22, 2011 01:04PM

To have a successful mid-major hoops program, your AD is going to be more important than the coach anyway. VCU went through the coaching carousel for years with Capel, Grant and now Smart and remained consistently competetive in the CAA and each of them got VCU into the NCAA tourney.

Other than Cam Long, who's a senior, Mason's got a good core of returning players and if they can get a good coach soon who can keep them from transfering and recruit well then they should be fine.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.