HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Gold Thieves in Fairfax County Steal Lakshmi!
Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: October 19, 2009 07:34AM

Virginia thieves going for the gold

FAIRFAX, Va., Oct. 18 (UPI) -- A team of picky burglars have hit homes in northern Virginia in recent months, taking only the most valuable gold jewelry, police say.

Investigators in Fairfax and Loudon counties say the victims are Indians and South Asians but have no obvious ties to each other like temples or schools, The Washington Post reported. The burglars appear to know which houses are worth their while.

"Most of us didn't even know each other," said Raman Kumar of Centreville, one of the first victims. "But here is the thing: If you know our customs, you know we carry a lot of gold."

The burglaries have occurred during the workweek.

Some people who work at home say they may have been targeted -- until the thieves found out the house was occupied. They report a woman coming to the house and asking for directions when they answered the door.

Kumar said the burglars left computers but took gold jewelry and, especially annoying, a gold statue of Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of prosperity.

"There is targeting due to gold prices," said Maryann Jennings, a spokeswoman for Fairfax County police. "That's how we are talking about it, rather than ethnicity."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gold Thieves in Fairfax County Steal Lakshmi!
Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: October 21, 2009 12:21AM

i guess that is better than stealing copper out of electrical components.

#2 old win

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: October 21, 2009 01:52AM

That is actually quite creative on the part of otherwise dumb theives.

It never would have occured to me to single out indians to rob, but I do know from watching travel shows and reading about Indian culture that they do have a thing for accumulating lots of gold. Generations of passed-down gold through marriages and so on.

I suppose if I wanted to steal really cheap cologne and $200 t-shirts I'd look for persian and arab names in the phone book.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Posted by: Raj ()
Date: October 21, 2009 02:19AM

बिहार की सड़कों सोने से अटे लेकिन मुझे अमेरिका जाना चाहते हैं

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: October 21, 2009 02:35AM

Raj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> बिहार की
> सड़कों
> सोने से
> अटे
> लेकिन
> मुझे
> अमेरिका
> जाना
> चाहते
> हैं

Google translate says:

"Bihar's streets with gold, but I Ate America wants to."

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Posted by: Wow ()
Date: October 21, 2009 08:22AM

I'm surprised that the burglers would want to go into Indian peoples houses. The curry smell I think would knock them out cold.

Posted by: Rama ()
Date: October 21, 2009 08:34AM

Thurston Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Raj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > बिहार
> की
> > सड़कों
> > सोने से
> > अटे
> > लेकिन
> > मुझे
> >
> अमेरिका
> > जाना
> > चाहते
> > हैं
>
>
> Google translate says:
>
> "Bihar's streets with gold, but I Ate America
> wants to."

Google translate fuck up. Eet say Bihar streets line with gold but I wan
go to America. You must be Tamil cannot read.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.