HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Motorized bikes and motorscooters without plates, in traffic
Posted by: Lasuena ()
Date: November 01, 2006 05:07PM

Four different times today while I was driving home from work today I saw traffic held up because they were behind somebody going down the highway in the middle of a traffic lane, on a tiny motor scooter or a motorized bicycle that was unable to go the speed limit. Not that we can go much faster than 10mph anywhere around here, but these are way hard to see. You clear yourself to change lanes and as you get into the other lane there is suddenly someone right there, oblivious to everything, on a vehicle that has no plates, no lights, and is barely moving. They don’t belong on highways!!!! Why aren’t the cops pulling them over?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Motorized bikes and motorscooters without plates, in traffic
Posted by: duh ()
Date: November 01, 2006 07:37PM

I've wondered the same damned thing!

When I was a kid we all built mini-bikes with lawnmowers engines on them....and if we dared ride them on the street the cops were on us like stink on shit.

Now people are riding unlicensed and UNINSURED motor vehicles with impunity, or so it seems.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: November 01, 2006 09:50PM

It is illegal to drive a motorized vehicle without plates on a County road. The cops do pull them over, but the problem is they pop and are gone so quick.

Try using your cell phone to report them next time if your concerned.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: November 01, 2006 09:52PM

Lawnmower engines for mini-bikes. Yup, had two lawnmowers stolen years ago and then found the remains minus the engine in the woods behind the house.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: November 01, 2006 10:14PM

Jester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lawnmower engines for mini-bikes. Yup, had two
> lawnmowers stolen years ago and then found the
> remains minus the engine in the woods behind the
> house.

Wasn't me...I bought mine! But they (HORIZONTAL shaft motors) were VERY hard to find. Could be found only on power reel-type mowers, which were rare even back then....and on roto-tillers.

I think a couple of my buddies ripped theirs off though...prolly was them....

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: November 02, 2006 10:39AM

I live right across the street from a back of an elementary school. I see them all the time just racing over the soccer fields and the playground. They are usually pre teen or teen boys with no helmet and the bikes have no license at all. They also ride them on the streets of our neighborhood. And they aren't very careful either.

Trickie

Posted by: 354 ()
Date: November 02, 2006 12:02PM

There is a little known law in Fairfax County which allows you to run over these types of vehicles. If a hispanic is the operator you actually get a substantial reduction in your car insurance rates.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 02, 2006 12:57PM

My dad gathers strong sticks every morning so he can cruise up next to minibikes in traffic and throw the sticks into their spokes. Not a sermon; just a thought.

Posted by: kit.car ()
Date: November 02, 2006 02:30PM

VA code on mopeds: http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/moped.asp

Its my understanding that it has to have DOT approved lights too. Cant be driven on roads rated for speeds of over 35mph. Anything over 50cc or 30 mph is considered a motorcycle and requires an "M" endorsement on your license and proper safety equipment.

Check local ordnances too

here is a statement from the Loudoun Sheriffs office:

http://inetdocs.loudoun.gov/sheriff/docs/newsreleases_/2004pressreleas_/120704holidaych/120704holidaych.doc

Posted by: BR ()
Date: November 02, 2006 03:31PM

Those pieces of shit are super annoying.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: November 02, 2006 08:59PM

The problem is when the ride them on neighborhood streets and zip off the sidewalk into the street w/o looking or just ride them 5 mph down the street or stop in teh road to adjust seat.

Posted by: brian703 ()
Date: November 03, 2006 12:52PM

As opposed to people in cars/trucks who zip off their driveway into the street without looking, or just ride them 5MPH down the street, or stop in the road to have a chat with a car coming the other way.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: November 03, 2006 01:24PM

I wouldnt worry too much about them. The way people drive in Fairfax they will be just more road kill sooner or later. Prob sooner.......

Posted by: What is it ()
Date: November 03, 2006 10:12PM

What is it with the way people in Fairfax drive? I have never ever been anywhere else (in the USA or Europe) with the number of dysfunctional assholes on the road as there is here.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 03, 2006 11:51PM

dysfunctional assholes on the road

Ever been to Boston? LA?

IMO, those two cities are WAYYY worse when it comes to driver behavior. They're not even comparable to here.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 04, 2006 01:33AM

What is it Wrote:
> What is it with the way people in Fairfax drive? I
> have never ever been anywhere else (in the USA or
> Europe) with the number of dysfunctional assholes
> on the road as there is here.

And yet people on this site complain when the police hand out tickets. I guess its OK to hand out tickets to other people, just not them.

Posted by: tickets ()
Date: November 04, 2006 08:51AM

I have no problem with police handing out tickets for tailgating, improper lane changes, etc.

It's when they limit their ticket writing activities to sitting in the median and waiting for their Kustom Signals to beep at them that it causes a problem. In my view, speeding is NOT the major problem around here. It might be the easiest traffic law to enforce, but there's a whole chapter of other ones in the state code that they could enforce, too.

And on that note, I actually DID see FFX police enforcing other traffic laws, rigth there at 28 and New Braddock where assholes ride in the far right lane and then cut over at the last possible second (across the zebra striping in many cases).

A nice little white Mercedes-Benz got pulled over for that shit. I hope FFX police continue to explore additional traffic laws that they can enforce.

Date: November 04, 2006 11:38AM

tickets Wrote:
> I have no problem with police handing out tickets
> for tailgating, improper lane changes, etc.
>
> It's when they limit their ticket writing
> activities to sitting in the median and waiting
> for their Kustom Signals to beep at them that it
> causes a problem. In my view, speeding is NOT the
> major problem around here. It might be the easiest
> traffic law to enforce, but there's a whole
> chapter of other ones in the state code that they
> could enforce, too.
>
> And on that note, I actually DID see FFX police
> enforcing other traffic laws, rigth there at 28
> and New Braddock where assholes ride in the far
> right lane and then cut over at the last possible
> second (across the zebra striping in many cases).
>
> A nice little white Mercedes-Benz got pulled over
> for that shit. I hope FFX police continue to
> explore additional traffic laws that they can
> enforce.

So how many times have you been caught speeding? Speeding and driver inattention are the two most cited causes for accidents nationally. I think you'd be surprised by how many citizens actually want the police to enforce speeding laws.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 04, 2006 02:51PM

The Tickets in Fairfax Co. are Twice or three times as much as the outlaying places. Prolly has to do with the economics of the residents and or taxes and upkeep of FX county. But still and all FX county has some of the worst drivers anywhere.

Date: November 04, 2006 06:30PM

ferfux Wrote:
> The Tickets in Fairfax Co. are Twice or three
> times as much as the outlaying places. Prolly has
> to do with the economics of the residents and or
> taxes and upkeep of FX county. But still and all
> FX county has some of the worst drivers anywhere.

Fines for tickets are mandated by state code, not by the judges. The fines are the same everywhere in the state. You can be fined up to $250 for any traffic infraction committed in any jurisdiction in Virginia. It has nothing to do with economics.

Posted by: tickets for assholes coming soon ()
Date: November 04, 2006 10:49PM

Who the hell can speed in rush-hour traffic, the hours of which, if you've noticed, are increasing. (Notice that the shoulder lane on I66 WB is now open till 10:00am and that VDOT extended the PM rush signal timing on 28 till 7:30pm, used to be 7:00pm).

I'd rather the police focus their efforts on:

1)Tailgaters

2)Left-lane blockers

3)People who don't bother to signal (they can write this one up as a reckless if they want)

4)People who cut others off, like the Mercedes driver.

(I bet the Mercedes driver, like you, figures that as long as they aren't exceeding the speed limit, that's all that matters).

Posted by: oh yea ()
Date: November 04, 2006 10:51PM

I forgot:

5)People who think the arrows painted in a lane are merely a suggestion.

Posted by: incidentally ()
Date: November 04, 2006 10:54PM

I once saw 3 accidents in 15 miles here and I can assure you that NONE of them were speed-related. Traffic was crawling.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: November 04, 2006 11:01PM

There was NO pun intended with the "Posted By" name :)

Date: November 06, 2006 05:55AM

>5)People who think the arrows painted in a lane are merely a suggestion.

Agreed, provided you can actually see the arrows or any lanes or the edges of streets. NoVA needs to buy a few cans of bright paint and paint some lines we can actually see, especially in bad weather and at night. Or they could always put up some of those attractive white/yellow poles up so that people can't cut in where lanes merge. They need to do that anyway because northernvirginians don't know how to go around a curve or make a turn and still be in the same lane they started in.

Posted by: tickets ()
Date: November 06, 2006 09:52AM

Well, even if you can't see the arrows, anyone who has been driving for more than about 2 hours knows damn well that the left-most lane at an intersection with a "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" is always a left-turn lane.

But I do agree, Virginia's lane markings tend to stink. And when they use reflectors, they often forget about them when they reroute lanes during construction. This happened at Westfields and 28--people in the left lane who were following the reflectors instead of the lines you can't see in the rain found themselves in a left-turn-only lane.

That was pretty sloppy of VDOT, but that seems to be standard operating procedure for them lately.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: November 06, 2006 09:11PM

brian703 Wrote:
> As opposed to people in cars/trucks who zip off
> their driveway into the street without looking, or
> just ride them 5MPH down the street, or stop in
> the road to have a chat with a car coming the
> other way.

Yes. Ya can actually see the car come out of the driveay and you can honk at retards who stop and you can drive over the sidwalk to pass them. (Provided there are no scooter kids there and you didn't buy a Benz or BMW that looks cool but is 2 inches off the ground. THey make moderatly good cars for way cheaper but no matter)

tickets Wrote:
> That was pretty sloppy of VDOT, but that seems to
> be standard operating procedure for them lately.

Amen. VDOT goes "we have no money" and cites that as the excuse to do nothing.

Posted by: 355 ()
Date: November 07, 2006 12:23PM

I love the sound a motor scooter makes as my SUV runs it over

Posted by: so.. ()
Date: November 08, 2006 12:16AM

Did you hear that VDOT will change it's name to the Virginia Transportation And Road District? They say the name will more accurately reflect what they are.

VTARD

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 08, 2006 12:18AM

wow that joke was horrible

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: November 08, 2006 08:49AM

We should prob just admit the U S is becoming like all third world countries when it comes to driving. I see cars all the time with no tags. Most dont have insurance and when there are wrecks usually the drivers run off anyway.

Posted by: truism ()
Date: November 08, 2006 10:06AM

"Import the third world, become the third world".

Posted by: SoupCamera ()
Date: November 08, 2006 03:14PM

what about those people who ride bicycles(non-powered) in rush hour traffic?

I thought it was illegal and unsafe for them to be zipping in and out of
traffic like that.

There are many two-lane roads(one lane in each direction, no shoulder on either
side) in my neighborhood where there's a lot of morning and evening commuter
traffic. I've seen plenty of close calls between cars and bicycles. The car's
driver tries to pass the bicycle but came inches from the on-coming cars.

Some of these are bicyclists are not dressed for work. They are dressed for
Tour de France!!!

Posted by: laughing ()
Date: November 09, 2006 10:59PM

I am glad they are out riding slowly. 90% of you drive way to fast and you don't give a crap about anybody else but your spoiled rotten kids watching the 10 inch crap t.v. in you oversized suv. Why don't you slow down and enjoy life or even better leave early and get to your destination on time...........

Date: November 10, 2006 09:05AM

Let's see if you still feel that way when you accidentally clip one that you never saw because the vehicle had no lights, no tag, and couldn't do 10mph.

>I am glad they are out riding slowly. 90% of you drive way to fast and you don't give a crap about anybody else but your spoiled rotten kids watching the 10 inch crap t.v. in you oversized suv.

While you are right about this, it is not the issue that this thread is discussing. It is about vehicles being in the road that should not be in the road and endangering everyone else on the road including themselves. And the cops need to get them out. If the Fairfax Treasury is running low here is the perfect opportunity.

>Why don't you slow down and enjoy life or even better leave early and get to your destination on time...........

In northernvirginia? You better just spend the night at a hotel near where you work or leave 5 hours before you need to be there.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 10, 2006 03:25PM

Lasuena Wrote:
> And the cops need to get
> them out. If the Fairfax Treasury is running low
> here is the perfect opportunity.

nah... the cops would probably just run them over. it costs money to repair the squad cars and then it costs more to have IA to declare they have done nothing wrong.

i knew something was missing from this thread.   ^^

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: stats ()
Date: November 12, 2006 08:23PM

So I just saw this little statistic:

A report by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Study found 20 percent of fatal accidents involve at least one driver who lacks a valid license. In California, another study showed that those who have never held a valid license are about five times more likely to be involved in a fatal road accident than licensed drivers.

Seems the police ought to be conducting driver's license checkpoints...

Posted by: JacksonOak ()
Date: November 13, 2006 09:50AM

There was a dude on a lil' gas scooter (the kind where you sit with your legs in front of you like you're sitting on a chair) on the HOV lanes of 395 N this morning around 9 o'clock. He was riding in the right shoulder kicking up gravel doing 30 while traffic was whizzing past in the lanes at 70+. Seems like the dumbest place to do this - not just for safety but for the high probobility of getting nabbed by a trooper.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: November 13, 2006 04:37PM

Some scooters can go 65/70 mph - like the Vespa Granturismo. I actually wanted to buy one before my boyfriend forbid me from riding it on every major road in the area. He is convinced that someone would hit me and he is probably right.

But obviously 30 mph on a scooter in 395 rush hour traffic is just plain stupid (or a really weird attempt at suicide).

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 14, 2006 02:24AM

Genevieve Wrote:
> Some scooters can go 65/70 mph - like the Vespa
> Granturismo. I actually wanted to buy one

WHY?!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 14, 2006 02:52AM

Gravis mirrors my live reaction to that question when it was posed to me a while ago...

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: November 15, 2006 04:47PM

Gravis Wrote:
>
> WHY?!

I guess I'm just silly like that. At the time, it seemed like a fun way to get better gas mileage on sunny days.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: November 15, 2006 11:08PM

Can motorcycle riders legally pass in between two lanes of traffic (zipping in out)? They can in CA but I haven't really seen this here as they just stay in a lane and take up a car space. Maybe it's illegal.

Posted by: watcher ()
Date: November 16, 2006 06:44AM

It is illegal.

Posted by: Enough already ()
Date: August 22, 2020 10:13PM

Posted by: dumfrieskid ()
Date: August 23, 2020 08:29AM

§ 46.2-914. Limitations on operation of mopeds.
A. No moped shall be driven on any highway or public vehicular area faster than 35 miles per hour. Any person who operates a moped faster than 35 miles per hour shall be deemed, for all the purposes of this title, to be operating a motorcycle.

Pretty straight forward. They are not allowed to go faster than 35mph. They also can not be operated on the interstate highway system, and you must be 16 years of age. Other than that they are legal. Don't like it? Tough shit. Contact your local representative.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.