HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Beware of bogus 'movie money' scheme in Fairfax County
Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: May 24, 2017 11:59AM

http://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2017/05/bogus-movie-money-scam-prompts-warning/

At first glance, the $100 bills looked real. By the third glance, they were clearly worthless.

A Maryland college student has learned an expensive lesson about the ease in which criminals can scam unsuspecting victims using fake “movie money,” which is used in motion picture shoots.

Hannah Buehrle, of Frederick, told NBC Washington she wanted to sell her iPhone 6 to help pay for a Memorial Day weekend trip to the beach.

On May 15, she advertised the phone on the Letgo app.

A man who identified himself as Xavier agreed to buy the phone for $450.

According to Montgomery County Police, Xavier told the victim he only had five $100 bills, and would give her the $500 if she would give him $50 in return.

The two agreed to meet in a Kohl’s parking lot in Germantown.

Xavier gave Buehrle five hundreds in a bank envelope; she gave him the iPhone 6 and $50.

After the transaction, when Buehrle tried to deposit the $100 bills in her ATM, nothing happened.

“I looked at the bottom of one of the bills — it said ‘for prop use only,’” she told NBC Washington.

Several companies make realistic-looking currency for use in movies.

Propmoviemoney.com’s web page specifies that prop money is for photographic use only. It is a federal offense to use prop money to make a purchase.

Real currency in the U.S. contains linen, making it feel different from prop money, which is made of paper.

Authentic $100 bills have the words “federal reserve note,” while prop money reads “For motion picture use only.”

Police officer Rick Goodale suggests consumers take precautions when meeting with online sellers.

“If you’re going to do an online transaction, bring somebody with you, and ideally, meet at one of our exchange zones, at the police station,” Goodale told NBC Washington.

Montgomery County Police said the suspect is described as a tall and thin African American teenager, around 15 or 16 years old. Anyone with information is asked to call detectives at 240-773-6237.

To report a tip anonymously and be eligible for a reward of up to $10,000, call Crime Solvers of Montgomery County at 866-411-TIPS (8477).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beware of bogus 'movie money' scheme in Fairfax County
Posted by: SimilarStory May11 in VA ()
Date: May 24, 2017 12:12PM

http://wjla.com/news/local/3-arrested-in-va-for-passing-motion-picture-use-only-counterfeit-100-bills

3 arrested in Va. for passing 'motion-picture-use-only' counterfeit $100 bills

by ABC7

Thursday, May 11th 2017

ALBEMARLE COUNTY, Va. (ABC7) — A 19-year-old man and two juveniles have been arrested in Albemarle County and charged with paying for merchandise with counterfeit money marked as “FOR MOTION PICTURE USE ONLY,” police say.

Yahmil Deyshon Payne, 19, and the two juveniles were arrested after police received reports of people receiving the “motion-picture-use-only” counterfeit money to pay for electronic equipment advertised on letgo, an app for users to buy and sell items in their local areas, according to a news release from the Albemarle County Police Department.

Local businesses also reported the suspects using the counterfeit money to pay for merchandise.

Police released photos of the counterfeit money, including fake $100 bills with a poor representation of Benjamin Franklin and the words in large all-caps “FOR MOTION PICTURE USE ONLY,” with additional warnings under that in smaller letters, “This note is not legal. It is to be used for motion pictures.” The $100 bills in police photos also carry identical serial numbers.

After a month-long investigation by the Albemarle County Police Department, Payne was arrested on April 8. He’s being held at the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail without bond.

According to the release, Payne was charged with “uttering a false bank note (felony), obtaining money by false pretense (felony) and one count of contributing to the delinquency of a minor (misdemeanor).” Police say the two juveniles face similar felony charges.
Attachments:
MPUO.png
MPUO2.png

Posted by: Another case Charlottesville, VA ()
Date: May 24, 2017 12:17PM

http://www.newsplex.com/content/news/Police-investigating-prop-money-being-used-a-local-stores-417322383.html

By News Staff |
Posted: Tue 11:51 AM, Mar 28, 2017 |
Updated: Tue 6:49 PM, Mar 28, 2017

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (NEWSPLEX) -- The Charlottesville Police Department says it has received several reports of people passing or trying to pass fake money at local businesses.

According to a release, in most cases, the people are succeeding.

Police say the money appears to be prop money that is meant for use in motion pictures.

This type of prop money can be purchased online, with up to $200,000 worth of fake money going for about $80.

Police say business owners need to carefully inspect higher denomination bills, looking for water marks and security strips.

In many cases, the fake bills being passed are $100, but bills as low as $20 have also been seen.

Most such bills also include a notion on them designating them "for motion picture use only."

Anyone with information on an incident involving fake or prop money is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (434) 977-4000.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: May 24, 2017 12:19PM

She got owned.

Posted by: Johnson City, TN ()
Date: May 24, 2017 12:21PM

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/law-enforcement/2017/03/22/Fake-money-circulating-in-the-Tri-Cities

counterfeit money
Fake money circulating in the Tri-Cities
Becky Campbell • Mar 23, 2017 at 12:04 AM
bcampbell@johnsoncitypress.com

You might want to take a closer look at that $20 bill in your wallet — there’s a slight chance it’s fake.

Area law enforcement agencies have reported several cases of counterfeit money over the past several weeks, with the most common being $50 and $100 bills. But there are other fake denominations floating around as well.

“We’re still working with other jurisdictions and sharing information in hopes of finding a connection,” said Johnson City Police Sgt. Don Shepard. “We had a few more last week, but it seems to be slowing down.”

Police don’t know if someone is making the counterfeit money locally or if it’s someone passing through the area trying to switch out their fake bills for the real thing. Sometimes the fake bills are fairly obvious, but often are hard to distinguish. Some fake money can be purchased online, Shepard said.

Posted by: Burlington, IA ()
Date: May 24, 2017 12:23PM

Posted by: Real News, Fake Currency ()
Date: May 24, 2017 12:24PM

Basically this is all over the country now.
News Stories date back to March this year, perhaps earlier.

Posted by: FFXU online internet troll ()
Date: May 25, 2017 08:15PM

SimilarStory May11 in VA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Yahmil Deyshon Payne, 19,

^^^^^^^^^^Dindu

Posted by: caritu ()
Date: August 12, 2020 07:43AM

It's horrible! I believe that cheating is the meanest thing a person can do.

Posted by: George - ()
Date: August 12, 2020 10:09AM

If you are going to pass fake currency, don't be greedy. $10s and $20s can be passed with no problem if you act cool doing the transaction.

Posted by: Clearthinker ()
Date: August 12, 2020 11:18AM

Can you say "George Floyd"?

Posted by: All You Need To Know ()
Date: August 12, 2020 01:21PM

>Montgomery County Police said the suspect is described as a tall and thin African American teenager, around 15 or 16 years old.

Only idiots get conned , most idiots are todays liberals and low info public charges , take one guess who they vote for if the latter bother to vote

Posted by: ^^^Con Artist^^^ ()
Date: August 12, 2020 01:43PM

"con" isn't the correct term for the victim of currency forgery. Your comment shows that you are simply a heartless bastard who feels entitled to do whatever he can get away with.

Posted by: caritu ()
Date: August 12, 2020 05:52PM

I have heard a lot of reviews about this, but I personally have never encountered such a thing. This is really terrible and inhuman and I do not understand how people can make money on someone else's grief and suffering. However, it's cool that there are services for online consumer complaint that allow you to fight fraud and deception. Recently, thanks to this service, I received a refund after a conflict with a seller on wish. This is a really great service and at first I didn't believe that they could help me, but I was convinced of this myself. So if you have problems with some online services, then I am sure that this service will definitely help you.

Posted by: boom goes the dynamite ()
Date: August 12, 2020 06:34PM

caritu Wrote:
> I have heard a lot of reviews about this, but I
> personally have never encountered such a thing.
> This is really terrible and inhuman and I do not
> understand how people can make money on someone
> else's grief and suffering. However, it's cool
> that there are services for href="https://complain.biz">online consumer
> complaint
that allow you to fight fraud and
> deception. Recently, thanks to this service, I
> received a refund after a conflict with a seller
> on wish. This is a really great service and at
> first I didn't believe that they could help me,
> but I was convinced of this myself. So if you have
> problems with some online services, then I am sure
> that this service will definitely help you.

our spammer gets scammered? priceless!

Posted by: BoooY_ ()
Date: August 13, 2020 08:47AM

caritu Wrote:
> I have heard a lot of reviews about this, but I personally have never encountered such a thing. This is really terrible and inhuman and I do not understand how people can make money on someone else's grief and suffering. However, it's cool that there are services for online consumer complaint that allow you to fight fraud and deception. Recently, thanks to this service, I received a refund after a conflict with a seller on wish. This is a really great service and at first I didn't believe that they could help me, but I was convinced of this myself. So if you have problems with some online services, then I am sure that this service will definitely help you.

I had an almost similar situation but it had ended not as well as yours

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.